• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Steven Gerrard & Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night the Czech national news did a 10 minute hatchet piece on Rangers; highlighting Rangers fans singing sectarian songs (with Czech subtitles), Gerrard's alleged racism towards El Hadji Diouf and a lovely Baywatch-style montage of some of the nasty tackles by Rangers players on Thursday. Also, it's being widely reported that Rangers players and staff blocked Slavia from re-entering their changing room for over an hour and it was pre-meditated as they covered internal security cameras. The Slavia president suggested he was going to report Rangers to UEFA.

There was mention of the racism towards Kamara but there was no effort to clarify what was said and the main focus was about the hypocrisy of Rangers (fans/team) that a club so steeped in prejudicial attitudes to others are upset when they feel they are the victim.

I don't think Rangers will be welcome back in Czech anytime soon.

I thought Rangers were a disgrace last night - they could have finished with 7 men. How Morelos wasn't even booked when he easily could have had 4 yellow cards in the first half! Patterson too committed 2 definite yellow card fouls in the first half and escaped any punishment.

The ref had a very poor game. There were so many fouls the first 5 minutes that I think he decided to keep his cards in his pockets as otherwise the game would finish 7-aside. Rangers took full advantage of this leniency and tried to kick Slavia off the pitch - a bizarre tactic given Rangers matched Slavia in terms of ability in the first game.

Ironically when the ref issued his first card to a Rangers player it was a poor decision as Kamara's momentum made a collision with the Slavia players inevitable and it should definitely not have been a yellow. The first red came as a surprise to me as Roofe is not a dirty player (unlike Morelos, Paterson, Balogun) but his challenge was awful (if accidental) and he had to go.

I'm very disappointed in Rangers performance because I was very impressed with them in the first leg and was hoping to watch a really good game. Slavia played very well despite the intimidation and I am not at all surprised they went through. They will give Arsenal a tough game, they could win but I think Arse will shade it.

It's very obvious what Kudera said to Kamara and it is deserving of a very long suspension and fine. Because UEFA have no absolute evidence of the crime they might struggle to sanction the player and I'm disappointed that Slavia have not taken strong action against the player e.g. an eight game ban and loss of wages. His teammates and coaching staff should all be disgusted with him; aside from being disgusted just for him being a filthy racist they should also be pissed off that their great run to the quarter finals (beating some very good teams along the way) has been overshadowed by this cunt.
Thanks for the update unfortunately I missed the game. I saw the highlights and it felt like even in the return leg, Rangers were doing ok. They couldnt handle the physicality, I felt. Also in some parts they looked a bit tired and it felt like Rangers underestimated their own abilities to win the match on the merits of the quality they have.

True although I do get abuse constantly being Irish in Australia. Granted not racism and not to that level but I’d still take any form of verbal abuse over physical. Fuck it I’ve had nothing but verbal (often nasty) abuse on here for 10 years and it hasn’t bothered me enough to fuck off.

Yeah but that's because you're thick as fuck, not because your Irish.

How’s that even compareable or related?
What’s worse racism or NHS nurses with their 1% pay rise? Press your voting buttons now...

Racism. The Royal College of Nursing estimates that the average annual salary of an NHS Nurse is £33,384. NHS pay is also enhanced by 30-60% for night shifts, weekends and bank holidays. An extra £6.42 a week on basic is mean but not as mean as abuse.

I thought Slavia were a standard slimey European side, plenty of screaming, rolling around and moaning at the referee. I can’t stand that type of side, hate to see them win.

Ryan Kent was fouled any time he touched the ball first half and Slavia were probably just as fortunate that the ref was awful as Rangers. Although from what i recall the ref completely bottled a penalty for Slavia first half too.

Gerrards boys only have themselves to blame here though, naive performance.

Imagine Rangers fans moaning about racism though. I mean it's one thing for Gerrard and the club to put a complaint in but the fans? Seriously all knuckle dragging mongs

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...rd-title-win-brilliant-has-emotional-journey/
[article]Steven Gerrard has revealed how learning from Jurgen Klopp has helped him on his own managerial journey.

The former Reds skipper has led Rangers to the Scottish Premiership in his first senior managerial role having only been appointed in 2018.

Prior to joining the Ibrox side, Gerrard took his first steps in management as Liverpool youth coach, working under Klopp.

In an interview with the Telegraph, Gerrard spoke of the influence the German had on him during their time together at the club.

“One thing I learned from Jurgen is to try and detach yourself, and be more balanced around the results," he says.

"He is a master of it. I am not. I am trying to get better at it.

“I was an emotional player, I wore my heart on my sleeve. I feel results and want to be as authentic and real as I can.

"But as a manager you have to be more balanced.”

Over 19 years, Gerrard made 710 appearances for Liverpool, winning nine trophies before leaving the club in 2015, just months before Klopp arrived to replace Brendan Rodgers as manager.

Following a spell in MLS with LA Galaxy, the midfielder turned down the chance to manage MK Dons but returned to Anfield to take up a coaching role following his retirement.

After 18 months working with the club’s youngsters, Gerrard took the Rangers job in the midst of a period of Celtic dominance in Scotland.

Following nine successive SPL titles for the Hoops, Rangers and Gerrard finally broke the cycle this season to claim a first championship since 2011.

The former England captain spoke with pride about the scale of the achievement and managing the expectation to deliver success at the club.

“To come into this job, the size of the task and the journey that we have been on for nearly three years now, and in the year that we have done it?” he added.

“I think you have to be in this job, in my shoes, part of this club to realise the size and the pressure and the responsibility on this season to make it a success.”[/article]

Yeah but that's because you're thick as fuck, not because your Irish.

And singlehandedly losing us a Champions League final and torpedoing this season.

Granted, the abuse started way before both those things but Dreamy is still in debit, all things considered.

Imagine Rangers fans moaning about racism though. I mean it's one thing for Gerrard and the club to put a complaint in but the fans? Seriously all knuckle dragging mongs

That was my first thought, granted that's a horrible experience for Kamara and he certainly isn't responsible for Rangers past sins, but for the club/fans to get high and mighty is a bit much. One of the most bigoted fan bases in the European game. I know some people have developed a soft spot for Rangers recently on account of Gerrard but they really are a fucking dreadful club.

That was my first thought, granted that's a horrible experience for Kamara and he certainly isn't responsible for Rangers past sins, but for the club/fans to get high and mighty is a bit much. One of the most bigoted fan bases in the European game. I know some people have developed a soft spot for Rangers recently on account of Gerrard but they really are a fucking dreadful club.

It's like if VVD went and managed Millwall

No Cup double. Took the lead in extra time (117 min) but conceded during stoppage time (120+2 min).

[article]IT is three years since Steven Gerrard was unveiled at Ibrox as the new manager of Rangers.

The former Liverpool captain’s first managerial role was seen as a risk by some and a coup by others. The month prior to Gerrard’s arrival, Rangers had been on the end of a 4-0 and 5-0 defeat to Celtic.

Fast forward three years and it is the latter of those predictions which has proven to be most accurate.

Despite frailties in cup competitions, Gerrard has led Rangers to within two games of an unbeaten league campaign. Along with numerous memorable nights on the European stage throughout his tenure.

He was well acquainted with pressure throughout an illustrious career and played for one of the world’s biggest teams in Liverpool. However, reflecting on his three years in charge of Rangers Gerrard admitted it took him time to come to terms with the scale and size of his current club.

"I knew it was big but you educate yourself even more," he said. "You listen to ex-players, supporters, people who have worked at the training ground and Ibrox over many years, and you get more education in terms of the size and magnitude.

"I always knew it was an institution but when you go away on European games and are involved in Old Firms, and you're sampling it for yourself, this club has really blown me away in terms of size and stature."

While this season has not been void of disappointment, defeats to St Mirren and St Johnstone in the League Cup and Scottish Cup have been the only blips in an otherwise swashbuckling season.

Rangers have beaten Celtic four times, are on course to break the lowest ever recorded goals against tally in Scottish football and break the 100 points mark.

There is however room for improvement which Gerrard admits will be the focus this summer.

"I'll be immensely proud of what we achieved, I'll reset myself and do whatever I need to do in the background to try and make this group as strong and competitive as I can," he said speaking to Sky Sports News.

"I'm as ambitious as anyone connected to this club. I want to try and get this club Champions League football and to defend our title with our life, and I want to put the cup thing right as it doesn't sit well with me.”

[/article]

Haha

Meanwhile,

[article]Steven Gerrard has proved himself to be one of the nicest men in Scottish football after taking time out from his busy schedule to run 5km with two young supporters who are raising money for charity.

Youngsters Murray, 10, and Jackson, 11, have undertaken the challenge of running 300km over 30 days, broken down to 5km a day for 30 days, in the hope of raising £300 for the Goodtrees Neighbourhood Centre, based in Moredun.

Goodtrees works with young people and families in helping them to realise their full potential and ambition while combating reduced opportunities due to deprivation.

The pair are currently part of the Hibs academy set-up but they were given a helping hand by Gerrard this afternoon, who joined the boys for their daily run - and didn't look as though he'd broken a sweat after completing it:

Murray and Jackson may have only been aiming to raise £300 but their Givey.com page shows they've already raised a whopping £1,925 and if you want to make a donation to their cause, you can do so here.[/article]

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...rview-manchester-united-aberdeen-donald-mcrae
[article]What does Ferguson think of Steven Gerrard’s work as manager of Rangers?

“Oh, he’s done magnificent. He really has, both on and off the field. A press interview can lose you your job in management. But Steven’s press conferences are fantastic. He’s cool, he’s composed, he gives the right answers. He’s really top because it’s an art.”[/article]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom