• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Steven Gerrard & Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Binny

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member
Beat a Galatasaray team that had Babel, Falcao, Belhanda and Feghouli in the starting XI 2-1 to book a place in the Europa League groups for a third successive season.

1st goal:

2nd goal:

That first goal is well worked.

EjTevtCXkAAFm9O

Doing that to Fatih Terim, who is God out there, was a very dangerous move. Just because there aren't any fans doesn't mean he can't be touched the next time Rangers have to play in Istanbul.

Some of them look tougher than some groups in the Champions League.

Off topic a little:

This kind of boggles my mind - Sergio Ramos is on that list ... Is he really better than Rio Ferdinand was? Alan Hansen? Cannavaro? Nesta? I just don't see how they picked him ... Surprised Kenny didn't make the list - I guess he's just not that highlight thought of outside of Liverpool & Celtic.

This kind of boggles my mind - Sergio Ramos is on that list ... Is he really better than Rio Ferdinand was? Alan Hansen? Cannavaro? Nesta? I just don't see how they picked him ... Surprised Kenny didn't make the list - I guess he's just not that highlight thought of outside of Liverpool & Celtic.

Ramos is a cunt, but hes captained his club to 4 CL titles. Hes also won a world cup and 2 Euro championships with his country. Hes had an incredible career.

Ramos is a cunt, but hes captained his club to 4 CL titles. Hes also won a world cup and 2 Euro championships with his country. Hes had an incredible career.
Well yes but I'd agree with LTW. United, for example, have a ton of players who were just good to very good, that however have a sack full of titles and cup-winner's medals. That doesn't put them amongst the best of all time. They were just lucky to be in a team with a handful of superstars that made the difference - same can easily be said of Ramos. Sure he's a twat however still a very good player ... but amongst the best ? Better than Ferdinand, Hansen, Cannavaro and Nesta ? Not even close for me.

Incredible career - sure ... but is he one of the best CBs in the last 50 years?

[article]Steven Gerrard should choose not to replace Jurgen Klopp at Liverpool.

That is the view of former Reds defender Jose Enrique, who believes that taking over from someone as successful as Klopp could prove to be an impossible task.

Enrique has hinted that Gerrard should put his dream on hold in order to allow supporters some time to adjust to life without their favourite German - and take the job further down the line.

Gerrard has recently begun his third season as Rangers boss in the Scottish Premiership, and is tasked with stopping their rivals Celtic from winning their 10th title in a row.

Jose Enrique, talking as a Ladbrokes ambassador, said: “I do not know who'll replace Klopp, but I hope it won't be a decision the club has to make any time soon.

“Look at the difference he has had on the team, and the players who now want to come and play for us.

“Before he came and even when he joined, it was Luis Suarez and Philippe Coutinho - our best players at the time, who wanted to move to better teams and now we have Thiago coming from Bayern - who have just won the treble - to play for Liverpool because Klopp has made us one of the best clubs in the world.

“I believe Stevie (Gerrard) will manage the club one day, but to come in after Klopp immediately would not be good.

“Stevie is probably Liverpool's best ever player and he'll always be remembered as that, but to come in after Klopp fans will want him to win things straight away and that's not easy.

“I really like how Stevie works as a manager and things are going really well for him at Rangers, but it would be difficult to change the way Liverpool work again after Klopp and achieve success immediately.

“I would love him to one day manage Liverpool, though.”

Gerrard said of replacing Klopp in the past: “I understand why (people expect that) because I was captain for so long and a large chunk of the fanbase would like me back at the club.

“But I'm bright enough to realise that, first and foremost, you have to be good enough. The owners need to think you're the right man.”

Before adding: “You can't plan everything season by season. If things turn in months, you'd be out of work. That's how brutal the job is, but you are aware before you go in.

“Am I ready for the Liverpool job right now? Maybe not.”[/article]

Beat a Galatasaray team that had Babel, Falcao, Belhanda and Feghouli in the starting XI 2-1 to book a place in the Europa League groups for a third successive season.

1st goal:

2nd goal:

That first goal is well worked.

Was Adrian moonlighting?

[article]There are really big questions for Neil Lennon after Saturday's abject Old Firm defeat. And the Celtic manager has got to come up with the answers.

Losing, and in such a meek way, will be alarming for Celtic and the manager has to do something to get his team firing. Whether that means sticking or twisting with the 3-5-2, he has to find a solution.

An historic 10-in-a-row is on the line, but somehow it has all gone flat at Celtic.

'Lennon has no answer to Gerrard's set-up'
Like the previous two Old Firm games, Rangers dominated in and out of possession. Steven Gerrard's side were able to implement their game-plan and control Celtic's play.

But this isn't new. In the last three derbies, Celtic have never been able to find any rhythm and it is predominately down to the way their rivals set up.

Their shape and formation is a well-oiled machine, and they all know what they are doing, and Celtic simply have no answers for it. They really don't.

I don't see how Lennon feels the 3-5-2 formation is the answer to going against this Rangers side - the result on Saturday was predictable.

'Everyone could see the shape wasn't working'
Rangers have got a real cluster of players in the middle of the pitch, with their two inverted wingers and two attacking full-backs. And with Steven Davis anchoring the midfield, they have a really good balance.

If you are going to try and cause them problems, you need to get at their full-backs. You need width and to be high up the pitch.

Going with a 3-5-2, you are adding another central defender. But for what? I find it astonishing that Lennon waited until the 84th minute to change the shape.

Why? What did he expect to happen with six minutes to go? Was that that him admitting that it wasn't working? Because everyone recognised the shape wasn't working after 10 minutes.

I don't see how Celtic's attacking, creative players fit into that system. Effectively, two creative players have been swapped for a wing-back and a centre-back.

Celtic didn't need to do that. They tried to change something, but in the process they have lost the identity of what they are trying to achieve.

They are lacking a bit of dynamism in the team as a whole. They're lacking drive, energy and pace. They've gone to a 3-5-2 formation which relies so heavily on wing-backs. Jeremie Frimpong gives you that, but other than that where is the running power in that team?

Lennon stated previously about how great and how brilliant his team have been playing, but the reality is, they are not.

'The challenge for Rangers now is consistency'
Credit must go to Rangers. They forced Celtic to play in the middle of the park, keeping them in a defensive area, shutting off all their attacking lines while narrowing the pitch. And Celtic played right into their hands.

Gerrard's side are in a very good place, they are in a rhythm and a shape. They have worked on this for a number of years and you can see they look comfortable. The challenge now is to make sure they keep that consistency.

Saturday's win leaves them four points clear. And, with Celtic playing in the Scottish Cup at the start of next month, Rangers have a good opportunity to get points on the board, open a bigger gap and create a mentality where they are comfortable at the summit.

That will ramp up the pressure on Celtic, as there is a possibility that when the second Old Firm game comes around Rangers could be substantially ahead with the opportunity to extend even further.

They will believe that they can do that. It is a very good position for them to be in, whereas Celtic have all the questions to answer.[/article]
[article]'Emphatic win will embolden Rangers'
Who knows what meaning it has or will have in the months ahead? Is this incarnation of Gerrard's team the real deal or are they just another version of the Bears who cried wolf? Have they learned the lesson of their implosions in the past two seasons?

Celtic folk might comfort themselves with the memory of the Rangers challenge disappearing in a puff of smoke in the previous two campaigns, but sooner or later the message behind those collapses might be heeded by these players. Taking their fall on faith is a dangerous game for any Celtic fan.

This emphatic win will embolden Gerrard's team. The reality is that Celtic have never been a big issue for him since he came to Scotland. That's never where the damage has been done. He's managed Rangers in eight Old Firm games and it's 4-4 in victories and 8-7 in Rangers' favour in terms of goals.

They were the better side on Saturday, the better side in December when winning 2-1, and the better side in the League Cup final last year even though they lost. In four of the past five derbies, you could argue that Rangers were the superior side - on the balance of play.

Celtic have not been the problem. It's the others who have tormented them; Kilmarnock, Hamilton, Hearts. This win has added to their momentum and their self-belief. You could see it.

The lack of crowd fervour was definitely part of it, but on full-time they didn't whoop and holler like they did after their December win, Gerrard didn't scream and shout down the camera lens, there wasn't a great outpouring of emotion after a job well done.

That's maybe a sign of a maturing team. No over-celebration, no bombast.

That's 14 games played in all competitions this season with 12 wins, two draws, and 11 clean sheets. Impressive foundations are being built by Gerrard.

With Rangers, it's all in the mind. On the field, they're good enough to get the better of Celtic on a given day. They've shown it enough times. In the head is where the challenges have existed.

You can't say with any certainty that the mental strength they showed in abundance on Saturday is now a permanent thing, but if it is - if they really have grown up as a team - then this battle at the top is going to be compelling.[/article]

[article]Celtic didn’t manage a single shot on target against Rangers on Saturday. With no supporters allowed in stadiums right now, there’s not much in terms of home advantage. That said, it’s very rare to see a visiting team to Parkhead control the Bhoys in the way Steven Gerrard’s men did.

The hosts had the majority of the ball, 57 per cent to be exact, and they played over 100 more passes. But possession doesn’t always tell the story of a match, especially when so many teams cede it in order to carry out their in-game tactics.

AAAy7SEVBckPeuKGfxhxnOtbXSe5ffRiMRoobfF5eIsBBEC9cNbtHyD9vGImbLcTLw7W08sArP0BbzF_7egRj-c49jgo87O9TjSpvGEwVQsLrH8ufExvioGhQzxkfQ9lmsc0iNXp

As evidenced in the touch map, Celtic had very few touches in the opposition’s penalty area and only two in the six-yard box. Rangers, on the other hand, had many more touches centrally. If you include those on the six-yard line, the Gers had three times as many touches in that part of the box, despite seeing less of the ball.

Celtic aren’t the first team to be starved of chances against Rangers and they certainly won’t be the last. Gerrard’s side have conceded just three goals in the Scottish Premiership this season and two of those arrived in a 2-2 draw with Hibernian.

Remarkably, they’ve kept nine clean sheets in their 11 matches this term. Last season, Rangers conceded, on average, 0.65 goals per 90. That figure now stands at 0.27.

fHszbV18JLHebdZOeLdLPKKmEZuM97G-gaMyl_Jqcs1dH1jagXKcvMGuVgHbR2YcG9SScdExCi6eBt5cMCMLoQe7xiJaTB7XzCksprTHI40vnHWfVe3-DBe6HTTcgviaxHB0pz_t

This is no fluke, either. In open play, the opposition are averaging just 0.47 expected goals while the post-shot metric, which takes into account where the effort goes on target, is 0.38.

A mixture of good luck and superb shot-stopping has meant Rangers have bettered these averages, and 11 games isn’t a small sample size. This sort of defensive performance could well be sustainable.

The key to it is how aggressive they’re being.

izneyDvh3_WBaBtUzXBar0yNbFim2tKDs_4tISSJXOauRqo3sOY6_r5-KMEEyliIXc5eKPyekcz_9wGT--AnY4WFRXVKuvL4AeAM1oELCZMQa79BsQTkvoIkkMRZhQKPAaF4q1uo

The average position map shows a high centre-back pairing and full-backs that are essentially wide midfielders. Such a set-up helps Rangers press the opposition.

In many ways, their approach is similar to that of Liverpool’s. The Reds utilise a high defensive line, safe in the knowledge that anything played over the top will be swept up by Alisson and any aerial battles tend to be won by Virgil van Dijk. In Connor Goldson and Filip Helander, Gerrard has two centre-backs that have won 72 per cent of their aerial duels this season.

You’ll also note that the distance between centre-back and centre-forward is fairly minimal. The fact they’re so compact allows them to pick up second balls and hunt in packs effectively and efficiently.

Not only does this help Rangers press the opposition, but it also allows them to catch the opposition offside. No team in the Scottish Premiership has caught players offside more than the Gers this season.

Repelling the opposition higher up the pitch automatically means teams aren’t able to sustain attacks and carve out high-quality chances on a regular basis, and it’s why Rangers have such an impressive defensive record.

7UHRf7ZhnRR75YPAw2Ul_FOS3DGEastlfzXvwhNDmXouUCWXgGyaGBT1Goc1dKKe87INCsCn7CmtKYsJEMf-Y3SHm7QPctsgsseDb_Z29jsAne0Ryi73l4n9lyWeAn6remz-vBCo

Currently, they’re facing one shot on target per match and only five of those shots have had a post-shot expected goals average of over 0.25. That suggests Rangers are putting pressure on opponents to either rush them into taking shots or simply being quick enough to block these efforts.

If this continues, they’ll be one of the best defensive teams in history and Gerrard might finally get some credit for his tactical nous.[/article]

Celtic drew 3-3 away at Aberdeen today. Rangers leading Livingston 2-0. Would open up a 6 points lead having played a game more.

Last edited:

[article]A quick glance around at the managers of leading football clubs shows that many appointments are driven by sentimentality.

Some coaches are appointed on the basis of their legendary status at the club in question and their connection with the fan base, which is said to lead to greater unity. The best examples right now are Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Frank Lampard at Manchester United and Chelsea respectively.

In Spain, the three biggest clubs - Real Madrid, Barcelona and Atletico Madrid - are all managed by former players who had a distinguished spell at their clubs. Italian champions Juventus appointed former midfielder Andrea Pirlo over the summer too.

At Liverpool, Jurgen Klopp has a strong and special connection with the club’s fan base but he had no prior link to the Reds or English football before his appointment in 2015.

His popularity is based on his managerial success at Anfield, as well as the extent to which he has brought into what Liverpool means as a club.

Klopp has already been at Liverpool for five years and while he still has four further seasons left on his contract, it is not totally unreasonable for the club to begin to think about his successor - only four managers in the Football League have been in their posts longer than the German and he will not be around forever.

The name that crops up most frequently when discussing who might replace the former Borussia Dortmund supremo is, unsurprisingly, Steven Gerrard. The Reds' inspirational former captain began his coaching career at Liverpool, before being appointed as manager of Scottish giants Rangers in 2018.

His connection to Liverpool remains so strong that he was invited to the club’s Premier League title celebrations earlier this year, although he turned the offer down.

"I was at home watching it on TV... I was invited to go and be around the players, be with them, but I thought the right thing to do was be at home with my family, and let the players celebrate and enjoy themselves,” Gerrard said, as per the ECHO.

"The scenes were absolutely fantastic. There was no happier house in Formby than my house let me tell you.”

Gerrard is now into his third season in Scotland. Celtic’s domestic dominance has continued in that time, with the club having won nine successive league titles and every Scottish trophy available since Gerrard’s appointment across the city at Ibrox.

However, there are signs that the tide in Glasgow is turning.

Rangers have won the last two Old Firm derbies - the most recent of which was on October 17 where Celtic failed to register a shot on target against their visitors, who appeared to be a much slicker team with every player knowing their role.

While the Gers are yet to win a trophy under Gerrard, they are ever narrowing the gap at the top and currently hold a six point lead over Neil Lennon's men having yet to lose an SPL game this season.

They have also enjoyed fantastic nights in Europe. Last season saw them qualify for the last 16 of the Europa League after winning home and away to Portuguese side Braga. To put that achievement into context, Celtic have not won a European knockout tie after the group stage of any competition since 2004.

Rangers are undefeated across 16 matches in all competitions this season and have won 14, including four European victories. They impressively progressed past Galatasaray in the Europa League qualifiers before another eye-catching two-goal win at Standard Liege this week.

Gerrard has helped transform them into a team who are more than comfortable on the European stage, getting his tactics spot on and fashioning a resilient side with a cutting edge in the final third.

Gerrard’s formation switches between a 4-3-3 and 4-5-1, depending on the opposition and difficulty of the encounter. It is notable that these are the formations deployed by Jurgen Klopp and Rafael Benitez respectively. It was under the former that Gerrard began his coaching career in earnest and under the latter that he enjoyed his greatest success as a player, winning the Champions League and FA Cup.

The formation employs a central, goalscoring striker - usually Alfredo Morelos or Kemar Roofe - with winger Ryan Kent adding pace, trickery and directness from the wing, with either Ianis Hagi or Jordan Jones on the other flank.

In most domestic matches that trio plays in front of a midfield three, but on the European stage Gerrard switches to a quartet in front of two defensive midfield pivots. This is reminiscent of Benitez, who astutely employed more cautious tactics in continental competition.

The building blocks have been put in place for the blue half of Glasgow to taste success after being starved of it for several years, but there is still work to be done. While the club have often got it right on the big occasion recently, they have been less ruthless against sides lower down in the standings compared to neighbours Celtic.

Liverpool fans will inevitably be gutted when Klopp finally decides to call it a day at the club, but there is unlikely to be a more universally popular replacement for the German than Gerrard.[/article]

He was crazy to invest in that alkaline water business. He must have been dazzled by that LA loopiness when he was out there.

[article]Benfica manager Jorge Jesus has compared Steven Gerrard's Rangers system to the style played by Jurgen Klopp's Liverpool.

Jesus reckons his team will face the toughest opponent they've played all season when Gerrard's men take to the field at the Estadio da Luz on Thursday evening.

Rangers and Benfica are both tied on six points at the top of Group D having won each of their opening two matches.

Legendary Benfica boss Jesus, who was in charge of Flamengo when they played Liverpool in the FIFA Club World Cup final last year, told Sport TV: "They [Rangers] play in a very complicated system, they try to imitate Liverpool's 4-3-3 which I know from playing against them in the Club World Cup Final.

"They'll create more problems for us than the teams we've faced so far.

"They competed with Porto in the group stage last season, they won at home and drew in the Dragao.

"Whoever wins will have the best chance of qualifying and it's sure to be a fiercely contested game.

"I've not doubt that we'll be facing our strongest opponents to date, including the league but even without our fans we're stronger."[/article]

Rangers are 2-1 up against 10 men Benfica after going down to an early goal in the 2nd minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom