• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

State-Backed Chinese Group Everbright Eyes Liverpool FC Stake

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought Werner couldn't be any clearer, they're selling a minority stake (probably enough to cash them out while retaining 65%+ of the ownership)

Sell sell sell, then buy, buy, buy. Tempt Suarez back and become world beaters - or, watch Spurs or Arsenal or (shudders) Everton get the backing of the richest investors in world footy and leave us for dead. panic! Panic! PANIC!

This isn't ITK stuff or anything, I've been ignoring the story coz I thought it was BS, but i bumped into this dude I know who is friends with Iain Ayre yesterday and he said they're looking at selling a forty percent stake and naming rights for the stand to these guys. I didn't ask how he knew, it might have just been in the paper or something. I'd just bought a soup from the deli and got back in my car and as I sat down I ripped by kecks all the way from my bollocks to my arse... but I had to meet someone in the crown plaza regardless, so I had my jacket on and thought it might be covering the gaping hole, and that's when i bumped into him, so although what he was saying was interesting I was just thinking about this fucking situation and how I've probably put like six pound on over the summer just drinking beer and now I've ruined my suit coz I'm a fat bastard and wondering if everyone could see my spongebob undercrackers through the hole, and on my fucking birthday as well, so I didn't hang around.

But but but it's not the Liverpool way....ahahaha. Neither is finishing 7th or 8th most seasons is it. In an ideal world, yes, we'd love it to be all dead romantic(it being winning the League) - Jurgen's Reds defying the odds and beating the big spenders to the Crown with a squad consisting or mainly young, cheapish valued players both in fees and wages in compared to United City and Chelsea. That'd all be lovely. But is it realistic? Highly doubt it. I'm probably in this mindset on the back of that horror show at Burnley but we're all a bit fucking sick of this Liverpool side not being competitive season after season. If we can get people in that'll allow us to spend more then bring it on.

This isn't ITK stuff or anything, I've been ignoring the story coz I thought it was BS, but i bumped into this dude I know who is friends with Iain Ayre yesterday and he said they're looking at selling a forty percent stake and naming rights for the stand to these guys. I didn't ask how he knew, it might have just been in the paper or something. I'd just bought a soup from the deli and got back in my car and as I sat down I ripped by kecks all the way from my bollocks to my arse... but I had to meet someone in the crown plaza regardless, so I had my jacket on and thought it might be covering the gaping hole, and that's when i bumped into him, so although what he was saying was interesting I was just thinking about this fucking situation and how I've probably put like six pound on over the summer just drinking beer and now I've ruined my suit coz I'm a fat bastard and wondering if everyone could see my spongebob undercrackers through the hole, and on my fucking birthday as well, so I didn't hang around.

Not as traumatic as what happened to a bloke called Jack Hobbs (old comedy writer, not the cricketer) in the 50s. Got back to London from a holiday in Morocco with a seriously bad case of the squits. He lived in Margate, so he was facing another train journey when his self-control failed and disaster ensued. So, grimacing, he waddles into an old-fashioned department store nearby and buys a new pair of kecks. This was back in the day when you had to wait a few minutes while they went off to the store room and returned with the item neatly wrapped up in brown paper and string. So he's waiting there, moving around hoping no one detects the smell, when finally the package appears, and he grabs it and waddles back out, off to the station, gets on the train, locks himself in the loo and waits until the train starts moving. Then he peels off his kecks, chucks them out the window, washes himself, breathes a sigh of relief, then opens the package - only to find a woman's pink woolly cardigan. Horrified, he stays in the loo, staring at this thing, until he realises the train's coming into Margate station. Realising he's got no choice but to bite the bullet, he puts his legs through the arms, buttons up the front and tries to walk off the train and out the station looking as nonchalant as possible with pink furry legs. 'Afternoon, Mr Hobbs,' says the station master, looking impassive as he eyes him up and down. 'Been on holiday, I see...'

Hope this makes you feel better, and a belated happy birthday!

Why would a Chinese $$tate owned organization accept a minority stake?
They could easily buy any other club with the same money.

I imagine they want the lot, but Henry is holding out.
Can't see this going anywhere....

Not as traumatic as what happened to a bloke called Jack Hobbs (old comedy writer, not the cricketer) in the 50s. Got back to London from a holiday in Morocco with a seriously bad case of the squits. He lived in Margate, so he was facing another train journey when his self-control failed and disaster ensued. So, grimacing, he waddles into an old-fashioned department store nearby and buys a new pair of kecks. This was back in the day when you had to wait a few minutes while they went off to the store room and returned with the item neatly wrapped up in brown paper and string. So he's waiting there, moving around hoping no one detects the smell, when finally the package appears, and he grabs it and waddles back out, off to the station, gets on the train, locks himself in the loo and waits until the train starts moving. Then he peels off his kecks, chucks them out the window, washes himself, breathes a sigh of relief, then opens the package - only to find a woman's pink woolly cardigan. Horrified, he stays in the loo, staring at this thing, until he realises the train's coming into Margate station. Realising he's got no choice but to bite the bullet, he puts his legs through the arms, buttons up the front and tries to walk off the train and out the station looking as nonchalant as possible with pink furry legs. 'Afternoon, Mr Hobbs,' says the station master, looking impassive as he eyes him up and down. 'Been on holiday, I see...'

Hope this makes you feel better, and a belated happy birthday!

This is why I build an imodium firewall whenever I'm on public transport for more than a couple of hours

I do the imodium thing now whilst on holiday.

After a particularly spicy meal at a beach side cafe, her indoors and I took a couple of sun loungers under an umbrella for the afternoon.

I'd had a few beers as well so was feeling particularly relaxed when I felt a glorious fart welling, of course I followed through and shat myself royal style. Panicked as to what to do on a crowded beach, I got her indoors to walk close behind me into the sea, once in the sea I milled about in a vaguely brown stew and sent her back to the hotel for a new pair of shorts and a long towel so that I could do the changing into shorts in a towel thing without anyone seeing my arse and cock.

I stowed the shit shorts under the sun lounger. I'm always amazed that she's suffered me for so long. I'm only ever a few seconds from an embarrassment or international incident.

http://www.reuters.com/article/soccer-england-liv-china-idUSL3N1B31UM
[article]A consortium led by state-owned financial conglomerate Everbright is not the only Chinese group to have looked at investing in English soccer giant Liverpool, with the club attracting interest from Fosun, property-to-film group Dalian Wanda and others, a person familiar with the matter said.

Though none have put together a formal bid, according to the person, interest expressed over recent months in one of England's most storied clubs reflects a significant step-up in China's drive to become a soccer powerhouse.

A senior Liverpool source on Sunday denied the club's American owners were planning to sell, but indicated they could be open to offers for a minority stake.

Since the start of last year, Chinese buyers have spent some $4 billion on soccer assets large and small, from Italy's Inter Milan to French second-tier side Auxerre. The soccer land grab has accelerated this year with around $3 billion worth of deals announced since December, when a state-backed group spent $400 million for a minority stake in the firm that owns Manchester City.

In recent months, though, small, lesser known Chinese buyers have dominated, as in the case of AC Milan, sold by former prime minister Silvio Berlusconi's Fininvest to a group of virtually unknown Chinese investors.

Liverpool's list of admirers suggests large, high-profile Chinese groups could still be in the wings with the potential for deals to dramatically alter the dynamics of European football. Already, teams in China are offering some of the highest salaries in the game.

Fosun, which has close ties to 'super agent' Jorge Mendes, bought Wolverhampton Wanderers in a deal completed last month. Wanda, led by China's richest man, owns a 20 percent stake in Atletico Madrid and is a major sponsor of FIFA, football's world governing body.

Neither group replied to requests for comment.

"Many Chinese are interested," said the person, who declined to be named as the discussions are not public. "No-one has bid, (but) letters of interest? There are many."

He added Liverpool's Boston-based owners, Fenway Sports Group, want a valuation of 780 million pounds ($1.02 billion) and had been looking for a while to sell a minority stake.

Liverpool declined to comment. The club reaffirmed over the weekend that it is not for sale.

As well as Manchester City and Wolverhampton Wanderers, Chinese investors already have stakes - or have announced deals in - English clubs Aston Villa and West Bromwich Albion. Sources say Hull City, recently promoted to the English Premier League (EPL), and others are also in talks with Chinese investors, lured by a lucrative TV rights deal.

Chinese firms like Fosun and Wanda have led the charge, but others have followed. Retail giant Suning Commerce Group Co Ltd bought Inter Milan in June and aims to create a global sports empire.

Liverpool, one of England's most successful clubs, is among the most valuable in the EPL in commercial terms. It generated almost 300 million pounds ($390 million) of revenue in the year to end-May, 2015, most of that from broadcasting rights. However, it hasn't won the English league since 1990.

"There are a large number of brokers seeking to find available clubs for prospective buyers, and we are contacted almost daily by intermediaries looking to find a deal for Chinese investors," said Liz Ellen, London-based partner and head of sports practice at law firm Mishcon de Reya.

"The reality is that most clubs are for sale if anyone wants to meet the asking price."

China's drive comes with the public backing of President Xi Jinping, who portrays himself as an avid fan and says he wants China to one day host - and win - the football World Cup. China currently ranks 78th in the world, below Uzbekistan and Benin.

While many clubs and fans are keen to bring in Chinese investors for an injection of cash, question marks remain over the sustainability of the investment boom. The fast growth of the market also means there are still some rough edges.

A person at the EPL, who asked not to be named, said there wasn't a particular concern about Chinese investment, but any investor taking a 30 percent stake would trigger rules to check on the sustainability of the investment.

Both the EPL and the Football Association declined to comment.

The Everbright consortium also includes PCP Capital Partners, run by financier Amanda Staveley, a British businesswoman who was involved in the high-profile takeover of Manchester City by Arab billionaire Sheikh Mansour in 2008. In the same year, she was also involved in the negotiations when Dubai International Capital sought, unsuccessfully, to buy a stake in Liverpool.

Ellen at Mishcon de Reya said there was unlikely to be much resistance by governing bodies to new Chinese owners given that foreign investment was already the norm.

"Previously, (the league) was dominated by the Americans, but we will now see Far Eastern owners take the lead," she said.

($1 = 0.7659 pounds)[/article]

Some twitterings of an initial 10% stake being sold for somewhere between 80 and 160m euro. Subsequent sale down the line mooted.

Honigstein Amongst others...

Think it will be bigger than that. Some interesting stuff on that Graeme lads Twitter.

Didnt NESV do the same before they bought us? The Times doesnt seem to think it means anything. We'll just have to and see eh.

I don't have much of a problem with FSG selling a minority stake to pretty much whoever they want, but it would be a disaster for LFC to be majority owned by Chinese government. People who just shrug their shoulders and think this is going to help us compete in the market or whatever just don't realize how evil that government is – and they are stingy too. They will spend not a cent more than they need and in return they might well use us for all kinds of pro-China and maybe even pro-Communist propaganda and will probably tarnish LFC brand for good. There are very few things in the world that might lead me away from supporting LFC, but this could be one of them.

I don't have much of a problem with FSG selling a minority stake to pretty much whoever they want, but it would be a disaster for LFC to be majority owned by Chinese government. People who just shrug their shoulders and think this is going to help us compete in the market or whatever just don't realize how evil that government is – and they are stingy too. They will spend not a cent more than they need and in return they might well use us for all kinds of pro-China and maybe even pro-Communist propaganda and will probably tarnish LFC brand for good. There are very few things in the world that might lead me away from supporting LFC, but this could be one of them.

Yeah but Mighty Red will end up being a proper fucking badass Dragony thing rather than a CP10 Pikachu

Chinese bidders up valuation of Liverpool towards £1 billion.

A Chinese-backed consortium interested in acquiring a stake in Liverpool is willing to raise its valuation of the Premier League club closer to £1 billion, Bloomberg reported on Thursday citing a source familiar with the situation.

The consortium is a partnership between PCP Capital Partners and Chinese state-owned financial conglomerate Everbright. They had earlier valued Liverpool at about £750 million, the source said.

However, in light of a surge in the Premier League's broadcasting revenue and redevelopment work at the club's Anfield stadium increasing capacity to more than 54,000 seats, the investor group is now ready raise its valuation, the source added.

Chinese bidders up valuation of Liverpool towards £1 billion.

A Chinese-backed consortium interested in acquiring a stake in Liverpool is willing to raise its valuation of the Premier League club closer to £1 billion, Bloomberg reported on Thursday citing a source familiar with the situation.

The consortium is a partnership between PCP Capital Partners and Chinese state-owned financial conglomerate Everbright. They had earlier valued Liverpool at about £750 million, the source said.

However, in light of a surge in the Premier League's broadcasting revenue and redevelopment work at the club's Anfield stadium increasing capacity to more than 54,000 seats, the investor group is now ready raise its valuation, the source added.

Sauce?

How have the other Chinese owners done so far? There are obvious risks involved IF anything happens and FSG sells a stake in the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom