• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Rugby World Cup 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah they were suggesting it didn't look good for him.

I thought we'd have you in the scrum before i saw your lads performance today, as JJ pointed out you really have come a long way in this area of the game.

Warburton v O'Brien is going to be a sight to behold

A lot of it is simply down to Mike Ross, how we left him out for so long is hard to fathom now given how well he's done. Healy has developed really quickly too though.

That said we're fucked if one of them isn't available - and the word is that one or both might be cited for shit that went on in the game today.

You could see that Healy was clearly wound up after the Italian hooker did what he did.

I don't recall seeing anything that either should be worried about, you? *Not that really means much*

D'Arcy came roaring back to form today + Considering we made Bowe the player he is today, i think he should have the good manners to sit out this game.

I didn't see what Ross did myself, read it elsewhere earlier and can't remember what it was referring to.

New Zealand
England
Ireland
Australia

Are my picks... Aussies will raise their game to play NZ. France are all over the place, and Ireland will probably just shade it v Wales.

All cracking match ups except NZ v Argies.

Rugby World Cup: Quarter-final refs announced

Welsh referee Nigel Owens will officiate this weekend's quarter-final match between the All Blacks and Argentina, the IRB has announced.

Wayne Barnes, who drew ire for his refereeing performance in the All Blacks quarterfinal matchup with France during the 2007 World Cup, will take no role in the game.

The IRB revealed the full list of 10 referees and two television match officials for the knockout stages of the Rugby World Cup this afternoon.

It said the officials were selected after a thorough review of performances across the 40 pool phase matches.

Owens, who officiated the fiery pool play match between Samoa and South Africa, is head referee for the All Blacks game on Sunday.

South African Jonathan Kaplan and Irish referee George Clancy will be assistant referees.

Mr Barnes is only selected as to assist head referee Craig Joubert in the match between Wales and Ireland.

Australian Steve Walsh will officiate the match between England and France and Kiwi Bryce Lawrence will referee the much-anticipated clash between South Africa and Australia.

IRB Referee Manager Paddy O'Brien said the referee selections were made on consistency of calls through the pool stages.

"Accuracy in decision making is our top priority. We will continue to work as a unit to achieve the high standards that have collectively been set and maintain a zero-tolerance attitude towards infringements across the key areas of the game."

Celtic classic in the making

Witnessing Wales dismantle Fiji in Hamilton, there were times when I thought I might be watching the 2011 World Cup winners.

And then I tuned in to see Ireland do a number on Italy. My oh my, next weekend's Celtic quarter-final bash in Wellington is going to be a barnburner - I haven't looked forward to a rugby match this much in years.

Against South Africa in their World Cup opener, Wales did everything but secure the win - but Warren Gatland's men appear to have been buoyed by the nature of that defeat. Most of the evidence from that night in Wellington suggested Wales had all the tools to make a significant mark in this tournament, except perhaps the belief.

Against Fiji, Wales were positively frothing with the stuff; they were ruthless and they were clinical. True, the Pacific islanders, who for whatever reason have chosen to adopt an alien kicking game, were distinctly ordinary. But Wales took advantage of Fiji's every weakness and appear to have discovered a heady blend at the perfect juncture.
warburtonfiji_reuters_blog595.jpg

Captain Sam Warburton has been outstanding in each of Wales' World Cup matches. Picture: Reuters
Skipper and open-side flanker Sam Warburton looks to have pretty much the lot: he fetches, he links, he supports, he scores. He is top of the range alright, a limited edition model with bells and whistles as standard, made all the more remarkable by the fact he is only 22.

Number eight Toby Faletau (20) is not far behind, while lock Luke Charteris continues to impress in the set-piece and in the loose. And with Gethin Jenkins and Adam Jones providing considerable ballast in the front row, the Welsh pack should fear no-one.

But it is out back that Wales really start to purr. Scrum-half Mike Phillips is the man who ensures the phases run together like mercury rather than slowly turn to stone. And in fly-half Rhys Priestland, Wales look to have found a solid campaigner - knowing when to play and when not to, flat passes on the gain line, happy for others to steal the show.

Jamie Roberts runs straight and hard, which some people might think is no great shakes. But running straight and hard is invaluable when the players outside you are gifted enough to take advantage of the craters you create in the opposition defence.

In Scarlets wing George North, Wales have a gem. Weighing in at more than 17 stone and with sweet hands and feet like a Broadway hoofer, the 19-year-old is boxing's loss and rugby union's gain. Meanwhile, Scott Williams (20) at outside centre showed silky running skills and ploughed penetrating lines to make it four tries in two World Cup starts.

Some of Wales' running had their fans drooling. One move, a sweeping advance from inside their own 22 which took them almost the entire length of the field, was particularly instructive: the first man looked up, saw it was on and trusted his team-mates to execute. Ambition and expression - in squally showers and with a greasy ball. See, it can be done.

And then there was Ireland. If Warburton is top of the range with all the bells and whistles, Sean O'Brien is all that with added bullbars. The Kiwis cannot get enough of him - their commentating team appear to have settled on the adjective 'colossal', and the feeling over here is that the Leinster open-side is a front-runner for player of the tournament.
obrienitaly_ap_blog595.jpg

"Colossal". Flanker Sean O'Brien has become a formidable weapon for Ireland. Picture: AP
With the 'Tullow Tank' leading the charge, followed closely by Jamie Heaslip and Stephen Ferris (a "big-time metre gobbler", according to one Kiwi publication), the match-up between Ireland and Wales' back rows is likely to be a humdinger. Throw the combative Cian Healy into the mix, as well as the rejuvenated Paul O'Connell, and the set-piece is set to blow.

Italy clearly came to Dunedin with a game-plan for Ireland - get amongst them, wind them up, make them punchy, let's see if we can get one or two of them carded. What was most impressive about Declan Kidney's men was the way in which they saw it coming, soaked up the nonsense and took advantage of Italy's chaos and indiscipline. In the final reckoning, Ireland's 36-6 victory against Italy was every bit as ruthless as Wales' 66-0 mauling of Fiji.

This is not how this World Cup was supposed to be. A northern hemisphere-southern hemisphere knockout split is one thing; that observers should be suggesting the northern side of the draw is more likely to produce the eventual winners is the stuff of a madman's dreams. Throw in the fact that the two northern sides looking most likely are Wales and Ireland and you start to wonder if the madman in question has been lunching on white spirits.

With hosts New Zealand now Carter-less, Wales and Ireland suddenly look like copper-bottomed contenders. And I, for one, would love to see either one of them go on and do it.

There have been times during my stay in New Zealand when I have felt like a traitor for daring to suggest England's way might not be the right way to the 'promised land'. And I am not so arrogant to think that there is a 'right' way that the game of rugby should be played.

But if the rugby that wins this tournament turns out to be 15-man rugby, artful rugby, attacking rugby, dynamic rugby, then this tournament will have been a success. It is a shame either Wales or Ireland will be heading home next weekend, because if rugby wants to extend its global appeal and attract new supporters, the sport needs sides like these.

Brian Moore: who is going to win the Rugby World Cup now? After the pool stages it is anyone's guess

This is going to be a long week for rugby fans around the world as they wait for the quarter-finals of the World Cup. After another weekend of entertaining, anxious and combative pool games we enter the knockout stages.

The entire tenor of this Rugby World Cup was fundamentally changed by Ireland's win against Australia which, at a stroke, ignited belief in Ireland, Wales and England that their team could reach the final, where previously there had been only hope.

The exit of All Blacks' fly-half Dan Carter has created a further shift in belief for all New Zealand’s opponents (save probably Argentina who have little chance of beating New Zealand in their quarter-final) that all bets are off on the Kiwis walking away with the title.

The collective sickening feeling in the stomachs of the entire New Zealand population at the new of Carter’s unfortunate withdrawal was lessened with a good performance from his replacement, Colin Slade, in the All Blacks’ 79-15 demolition of Canada. However, they and the rest of the world know that Slade is susceptible to pressure and there is also a nagging doubt about the fitness of captain Richie McCaw.

It is a remarkable experience to be in a country where the entire mood is genuinely swayed by this type of sports news; you cannot grasp it and probably will not believe it unless you are actually in New Zealand.

Pressure, the intangible factor that can reduce good players to stumbling novices, increases with each stage and experience is an important remedy for performance- inhibiting nerves. Tension rises perceptibly as players contemplate games from which they get no second chance and the mindset alters perceptibly – but not necessarily in the way that most people imagine.

It is true that only the result matters from this point and finding a way to win, whatever the style, is ultimately all that counts. However, sides have to play the game that best suits them; unfamiliar tight play may reduce risk but some teams will not be able to win this way.

South Africa are the most experienced team and the result of their titanic showdown with Australia on Sunday depends entirely on how well the Australian pack cope with the Springbok eight. The power of the South Africans could blow Australia back across the Tasman Sea or “the Ditch”, as it is affectionately named down here. However, if anything like parity is gained Australia have the inventiveness to create space and tries. The result is as predictable as the toss of a coin.

The Wales v Ireland encounter on Saturday will dwarf the above game in terms of emotion.

The natural emotional incontinence of the Welsh has been tempered by Kiwi pragmatism and their coach Warren Gatland must be very satisfied with his side’s physical and creative play. The Welsh squad are the strongest in recent memory and provide more options than the Irish, although the first choice XVs are virtually equal in quality.

One thing that has been overlooked when considering the prospective progress of these two teams is that none of their players has ever played in a World Cup semi-final and only a handful in a quarter-final. They face the play-off conundrum because neither side are constitutionally suited to grinding, limited play and are at their best when moving the ball, which necessarily involves greater risk. The decisive factor may be the scrum, but as there are so many variables you would have to be a madman to predict the result – Wales narrowly, or possibly Ireland.

The nature of the latest off-field revelations about the England squad would be trivial were it not for their cumulative nature, which, together with their on-field indiscipline, suggest Martin Johnson’s trust in them to behave as adults has been misplaced.

This is not a fourth-form field trip, sniggers and all, it is the highest stage in world rugby and players who do not appreciate that should not be here. Can you imagine this happening with the 2003 squad?

Whatever side England choose, they will beat France, whose disarray resembles that of their footballers in last year’s World Cup. Delon Armitage should be available because the alleged high tackle for which he has been cited is no different to 30 similar tackles in other games and the charge may be a reflection of the International Rugby Board’s private anger over their ball-swapping antics.

When weighing England’s likely progress you should not forget that they have reached the final of the last two tournaments, and that experience will mask some of their apparent weaknesses. Further, their physical bulk cannot be ignored and anyone who thinks they are easy opponents is a fool.

Rugby World Cup 2011: disgraced French players abandon coach Marc Lièvremont after Tonga defeat

The France coach wanted to break a few bar stools and set the world’s to rights as rugby players have done throughout the centuries. But Lièvremont drank alone on Saturday night.

He said his players had scattered. Some had still not returned to the hotel on Sunday morning. The comparison was inevitable. Lièvremont is starting to look like Raymond Domenech, the coach who was humiliated at football’s World Cup by his striking players.

Lièvremont said on Sunday: “Some of you compare me with Domenech. I have the utmost respect for Domenech because he followed his ideas all the way to the end. He had conviction. The French rugby world and my players mocked the footballers last year but in some ways yesterday we never got off the bus.” That was a reference to the footballers who refused to leave their bus after Nicolas Anelka had been sent home.

Lièvremont said: “This morning they had not all returned. I would have liked to have a glass, a chat, an exchange of views, to drink together, to talk of this beautiful adventure. I have some respect for them but not many illusions. Their image is important. They have their agents.”

France are a side in disintegration in this Rugby World Cup. Their defence fell apart against Tonga. We thought it was bad against New Zealand, but on Saturday it was disgraceful. When you watch Georgia defend and compare it with France, you see a team with pride and a team who do not deserve the name.

Tonga won by five points but they should have scored 40. That is not hyperbole. The Pacific Islanders blew several kicks and at least five try-scoring chances. They annihilated France in the second half and referee Steve Walsh could have sent far more than the one Frenchmen to the bin.

Lièvremont said: “Every missed pass, every missed tackle, I feel a deep personal failure. Many people believe I am no more than a division two coach who is incapable of coaching a team as fine as France, but I do know how to fight and I have no intention of giving up now.”

The performance against Tonga was so shameful that there was a realistic chance that Lièvremontwould resign or be sacked. He said: “If we fail again next weekend you have your scapegoat, but what people think about me is not important. I am still convinced that we have the potential to beat England.”

France would have the potential if Lièvremont picked his best side. But he has insulted too many people and left out too many good players to get the dressing room back now. He has to restore his fly-half François Trinh-Duc, and Imanol Harinordoquy.

These are straightforward decisions, but with Lièvremont nothing is so simple. His body language before Saturday’s debacle consisted of defensive crossed arms and staring into a glass darkly.

By Sunday you just felt sorry for the big man. He looked so alone. He had the dignity to admit that Scotland and Samoa were far more deserving of a quarter-final place than France. But the players no longer care what Lièvremont says. Even his captain had gone missing.

Ireland v Wales - the best quarter final by a mile. Ireland are very strong in the pack (and I did tip them for the semis on page 1) and have hit form at the right time. Wales play a nice expansive game and have been blessed with some cracking young players. RESULT - IRELAND

England v France - has the potential to be the most boring game since..... England's last game. Seeing as France are mental at 1-15 and so is the coach, I expect England to kick some goals and win. RESULT - ENGLAND

Aus v SA - Australia's injuries could improve them as Deans was picking the wrong team anyway. SA have looked strong against weak opposition but are on the improve. I expect this to be nasty but I think Aus will win. RESULT - AUSTRALIA

NZ v Arg - RESULT NZ

Got 36 out of 40 in my first round tips and came 4,900th in the League. Tough crowd.

[quote author=Kenny4PM link=topic=45879.msg1408261#msg1408261 date=1317630693]
Rugby World Cup: Quarter-final refs announced

Welsh referee Nigel Owens will officiate this weekend's quarter-final match between the All Blacks and Argentina, the IRB has announced.

Wayne Barnes, who drew ire for his refereeing performance in the All Blacks quarterfinal matchup with France during the 2007 World Cup, will take no role in the game.

The IRB revealed the full list of 10 referees and two television match officials for the knockout stages of the Rugby World Cup this afternoon.

It said the officials were selected after a thorough review of performances across the 40 pool phase matches.

Owens, who officiated the fiery pool play match between Samoa and South Africa, is head referee for the All Blacks game on Sunday.

South African Jonathan Kaplan and Irish referee George Clancy will be assistant referees.

Mr Barnes is only selected as to assist head referee Craig Joubert in the match between Wales and Ireland.

Australian Steve Walsh will officiate the match between England and France and Kiwi Bryce Lawrence will referee the much-anticipated clash between South Africa and Australia.

IRB Referee Manager Paddy O'Brien said the referee selections were made on consistency of calls through the pool stages.

"Accuracy in decision making is our top priority. We will continue to work as a unit to achieve the high standards that have collectively been set and maintain a zero-tolerance attitude towards infringements across the key areas of the game."
[/quote]

It's a disgrace that Lawrence and Walsh are given games ahead of Barnes, who - though he can be inconsistent, as they all can - is twice the referee either of those two will ever be. As for appointing Walsh for the England game, when he has every bit as much of a "history" with England as Barnes has with the Blacks, that is yet another example of Southern hemisphere skulduggery.

Rory Best is a serious doubt for Ireland's World Cup quarter-final against Wales on Saturday. The hooker sprained the AC joint in his right shoulder during Sunday's 36-6 victory over Italy and is receiving treatment. No replacement for the Ulsterman has been summoned, as a clearer picture of the severity of his condition will emerge soon.

"Rory's doubtful for the weekend but we haven't written him off just yet," said Paul McNaughton, the Ireland manager. "We'll assess it tomorrow and have more information then. He's definitely doubtful. He's getting manipulation at the moment. We'll have a better idea tomorrow after a morning's treatment."

Not as bad as feared, hopefully he makes it.

Appaz it's going to be pissing down all week, so expect a much tighter style of game.

I'm leaning towards an Irish win.

The IRFU tried releasing novelty gimmicks to raise funds after the lansdowne ticketing fiasco, but the Sean O'Brien toilet paper didn't sell as it wouldn't take shit from anybody.

When Alexander Graham Bell invented the telephone, he had 3 missed calls from Sean O' Brien.

The "s" on Superman's shirt is because Sean O' Brien is his hero.

Before Chuck Norris goes to sleep, he checks under the bed for Sean O'Brien.

Sean O’Brien can whistle in five different languages, including sign language

The property market collapsed because Sean O’Brien ran at it.

[quote author=Kenny4PM link=topic=45879.msg1408480#msg1408480 date=1317669596]
Appaz it's going to be pissing down all week, so expect a much tighter style of game.

[/quote]

I think the Welsh are playing the best rugby in the tournament, you should beat us.

I think experience will tell, and we'll do it. Just. Drop-goal in the last minute stuff.

Italy's hooker Leonardo Ghiraldini has been cited for allegedly attempting to gouge the eyes of the Ireland prop Cian Healy at Otago Stadium on Sunday.

The 26-year-old will face a disciplinary hearing in Auckland for an incident that took place in the first half of Italy's 36-6 defeat.

He has been charged with making contact with the eyes or the eye area and acts contrary to good sportsmanship.

The flashpoint was missed by the referee, Jonathan Kaplan, but provoked a furious reaction from Healy.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=45879.msg1408633#msg1408633 date=1317709346]
Italy's hooker Leonardo Ghiraldini has been cited for allegedly attempting to gouge the eyes of the Ireland prop Cian Healy at Otago Stadium on Sunday.

The 26-year-old will face a disciplinary hearing in Auckland for an incident that took place in the first half of Italy's 36-6 defeat.

He has been charged with making contact with the eyes or the eye area and acts contrary to good sportsmanship.

The flashpoint was missed by the referee, Jonathan Kaplan, but provoked a furious reaction from Healy.
[/quote]

15 week ban.

[quote author=Kenny4PM link=topic=45879.msg1408818#msg1408818 date=1317730565]
[quote author=Rosco link=topic=45879.msg1408633#msg1408633 date=1317709346]

[/quote]

15 week ban.
[/quote]

Dallagio was trying to say it wasn't deliberate at HT, but it looked pretty deliberate to me. I was worried Healy was going to draw a yellow card because I got the feeling they were targeting him to wind him up.

One of the best aspects of that game was that we kept fairly cool under intense provocation.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=45879.msg1408487#msg1408487 date=1317671118]
[quote author=Kenny4PM link=topic=45879.msg1408480#msg1408480 date=1317669596]

[/quote]

I think the Welsh are playing the best rugby in the tournament, you should beat us.
[/quote]

No you're definitely favourites

He knew full well what he was doing Doc, and i'm with you i think the Italians had gone in with a game plan to try and wind up your lads.

Kidney has had your boys well prep'd for your games so far.

I hate 10's playing at 12. Unless Haskell and Croft are going to step in to straighten the line this will make England significantly easier to play against.

Positive news has been a scarce commodity for England lately but maybe things are changing. As recently as Sunday there was genuine concern that Jonny Wilkinson's World Cup might be over but it now appears that prospect has been averted. An apparently fit and healthy Wilkinson trained at Onewa Domain on a lovely sunny afternoon in Takapuna and looks ready to feature once more against France in Saturday's quarter-final.

Just as interesting was the sight of Toby Flood alongside him wearing the No12 bib. Unless there is a dramatic improvement in the fitness of the beleaguered Mike Tindall, who missed the session with a dead leg, England appear on the brink of restructuring their midfield and looking to play at a higher tempo than they did against Scotland last Saturday.

The prospect of Flood starting at inside-centre would allow Martin Johnson to sidestep the dilemma of whether to drop Wilkinson, sore elbow or not, on the eve of the biggest game of his managerial tenure. Wilkinson has been the scourge of Les Bleus with his kicking at the past two World Cups but has yet to display his best form in New Zealand, either in open play or with his goal-kicking. So far at this tournament Flood has nailed 10 of his 13 attempts at goal while Wilkinson has managed nine out of 20.

Sending both of them out to face the French would certainly improve England's tactical kicking options and relieve some of the pressure on Wilkinson's shoulders. English sides have had plenty of success against the French in recent times, particularly when they have included a footballing presence at 12.

If they do it that way round it will, yes. Wilkinson at 12 could work though. It would certainly plug the defensive gap. Otherwise you're looking at Banahan who for my money has to play on the wing or nowhere.

I hear Best will be fit for the Wales game BTW.

Irish name team for Wales

Ireland have chosen to mix youth and experience in their team for Saturday's Rugby World Cup quarter-final against Wales.

A buoyant Ireland - who atoned for their shocking 2007 World Cup group stage exit by topping Australia and Group A - will be looking to advance to the semi-finals for the first time when they play their Six Nations opponents in Wellington.

Coach Declan Kidney has decided to give 53-cap Rory Best as long as possible before announcing who will fill the starting and replacement hooker roles, with Best, Sean Cronin and Damien Varley all candidates to play in the No.2 and No.16 jerseys.

Fellow veterans Paul O'Connell and Donncha O'Callaghan - who have 160 caps between them - will provide Ireland with an incredibly experienced locking combination.

Ronan O'Gara has maintained his stronghold as the starting fly half, with young counterpart Jonathan Sexton remaining stuck to the bench.

O'Gara's 115 caps makes him the second-highest in total appearances for Ireland, one behind fellow starter Brian O'Driscoll, who plays in his 116th game against Wales.

Ireland have gone for a traditional 4-3 combination on the bench, with Tom Court, Dennis Leamy, Donnacha Ryan, Dennis Leamy, Eoin Reddan and Andrew Trimble joining Sexton on the bench.

Ireland team:
1. Cian Healey, 2. TBA, 3. Mike Ross, 4. Donncha O'Callaghan, 5. Paul O'Connell, 6.Stephen Feris, 7. Sean O'Brien, 8. James Heaslip, 9. Conor Murray, 10. Ronan O'Gara, 11. Keith Earls, 12. Gordon D'Arcy, 13. Brian O'Driscoll, 14. Tommy Bowe, 15. Rob Kearney.

Replacements:
16. TBA, 17. Tom Court, 18. Donnacha Ryan, 19. Denis Leamy, 20. Eoin Reddan, 21. Jonathan Sexton, 22. Andrew Trimble

Brynmor Williams analysis: Wales v Ireland

Wales v Ireland

I’M convinced Wales have the ability to beat Ireland, although they will have to produce their finest performance of the World Cup to do so.

The Irish are a formidable side who have grown into the competition. An experienced outfit with a solid defence, a pair of creative centres and an excellent back-row.

But while the physicality of Ireland was hugely impressive against Australia, Wales know they can deal with that.

Just because Wales might have only beaten the likes of Fiji and Namibia heavily in the last two games, we are forgetting how well they played against South Africa.

Wales coped with the most physical team on earth and also defeated Samoa, who are the most uncompromising rugby nation on the planet.

This will be a massive game because the two sides are desperate to make the semi-finals and the tension is already building.

This is arguably the biggest game Wales have had in the 20 years. They have been disappointing in World Cups since 1987 but are within 80 minutes of reaching the semis this time.

There is a freshness about this squad we have not seen for ages, a club culture having developed and this will help in the big games.

You can see it with the way the Welsh players are performing. Everyone is easing into the systems smoothly and displaying confidence and enjoyment.

There are so many youngsters putting their hands up in this special Welsh set-up. This exuberance of youth can help Wales through next weekend.

Here are my key battlegrounds for where the game will be won and lost

SET-PIECE

The scrum will be vital and if Wales can gain the ascendancy in this area, it will help drain the energy of the impressive Irish back-row.

The Irish loose-head Cian Healy has good and disappointing scrummaging days and Adam Jones is going to be a key figure in trying to exploit the weaker element to his game..

Irish hooker Rory Best is a good scrummager but could miss the match through injury to be replaced by the inexperienced Sean Cronin.

The lineout is also key because this is the area Ireland base their game around.

They will be competing on every ball and their talisman Paul O’Connell will look to dominate this facet. If Wales start getting cleaned out it will play into Irish hands.

So Wales have to be careful with their throws. If it has to be secure front ball, so be it.

The best possession is off the top ball for the likes of rampaging runners george North and Jamie Roberts running at Ronan O’Gara.

But Wales will first have to make sure they claim their own throws. They have produced the goods so far and the stats stack up compared with other nations.

So Wales must not fear O’Connell and co. Just ensure they are precise.

BACK-ROW BREAKDOWN BATTLE

This promises to be a battle royal between the Welsh trio, which I would expect to be Dan Lydiate, Toby Faletau and Warburton tackling the inspirational Irish threesome Sean O’Brien, Jamie Heaslip and Stephen Ferris.

Lydiate will have to come in for Ryan Jones if he is fit because he is so strong at the breakdown. Ryan has played well but Dan brings that extra dimension because he is fantastic at the contact area.

The Irish back-row might be more constructive with strong ball-carrying abilities but Wales are more destructive because they are better defensively and quicker around the field.

While Warburton and Lydiate can carry ball, Faletau is the main man.

O’Brien and Warburton are turning out to be the best sevens in the competition and that breakdown battle will be mouth-watering.

Wales need quick ball from the contact area. The Irish are masters at slowing possession so Wales need to hit the breakdown hard.

DEFENCE

A nil scoreline against Fiji and only four tries conceded in the pool stage is impressive.

The club culture I have spoken about typifies the team spirit and organisation and the fitness work over the summer is bearing fruit.

But if Wales don’t defend well against Ireland they will lose and there will be times they will be under enormous pressure.

The Irish team is not multi-skilled and play a simple game. They have a lot of ball-carriers, especially in the back-row.

Wales need to pick out the likes of Ferris and O’Brien quickly before they get in the stride.

If Ireland get on the front foot, they will do some damage and that is when the likes of O’Driscoll, D’Arcy and Bowe strike.

The Irish defence is also very strong but will be wary of the Welsh try threat. They will be worried about Roberts and North because of their ability to get over the gainline.

They will think if they can stop Jamie and George they can stop Wales, because those two players have been among the finest runners in the tournament.

But with that pressure and focus on Jamie and George, this could present opportunities for great strike runners like Shane Williams, Leigh Halfpenny, Scott Williams and James Hook.

SELECTION

The Welsh and Irish coaches have a major job even before the teams takes the field next Saturday.

Ireland have a major dilemma at outside-half and I would expect Ronan O’Gara to be picked ahead of Jonny Sexton because of his superior goal-kicking.

But Wales have more options and very few players can relax and think their position is cast iron.

Wales have marvellous momentum and have to decide whether to stick with players in form or bring in players who have been injured.

It is great for a coach to have this selection dilemma and be picking from a positive position. Training will be hugely competitive because every player will want to be involved in Wellington.

The major forward decision will be at flanker with Lydiate probably coming in for Ryan Jones.

There are more conundrums behind. Do they select James Hook to start after three weeks out and if so where?

Or do they have him as a replacement with his game-breaking ability when the match is stretched?

As for outside-half, the experience of Stephen Jones or Rhys Priestland, who has had a wonderful tournament?

The full-back position is also fascinating. Is Lee Byrne’s confidence high enough to cope with a World Cup quarter-final or do they slot Hook or Halfpenny back in there?

Close calls for Gatland to make... and ones which could determine the outcome of the match.

Pundits split over likely winner of Wales' Rugby World Cup quarter-final against Ireland

?THE build-up to Wales’ World Cup quarter-final showdown with Ireland has split rugby pundits as they try to select a likely winner.

New Zealand great Josh Kronfeld, flanker in the 1995 final against South Africa, tipped Wales to send Brian O’Driscoll and company home at the weekend by beating them in Wellington, going as far as to label Warren Gatland’s men as “dark horses” to go on and lift the Webb Ellis Trophy.

But Nick Mallett, whose tenure as Italy coach ended when his side were trounced 36-6 in their final Pool C game against Ireland on Sunday, took the opposite view, lavishing some extraordinary praise on Declan Kidney’s side.

The former Springbok coach suggested the Irish don’t have any weaknesses and insisted no side, including Wales, could possibly be confident of beating them given their current form.

The contrasting views added to the white-hot levels of excitement ahead of Sunday’s shoot-out, with many pundits branding it too close to call.

Not Kronfeld, though, who lavished praise on Wales for their performances so far.

He said: “I’m very impressed with Wales. Those guys are my dark horses.

“They have been under the radar, but they are going to be the northern hemisphere team to beat.

“That’s my hunch. I like the way they’re executing their plays. Wales’ forward play is solid. They are aggressive on the tackle and we have seen some fantastic play from their backs. They do like to play.”

Kronfeld, who was one of the best opensides in the world during a glittering career, has been mightily impressed by Wales No. 7 and inspirational leader Sam Warburton.

“He’s been amazing. He just gets involved in everything. Not only does he lead by example, he’s got some subtle touches and showed, with his try against Fiji, he’s got some gas too.”

Rookie Test play-maker and outside-half Rhys Priestland also received praise from Kronfeld for the control and variety in his game.

“Their first five-eighth is showing some wonderful touches,” he raved.

Kronfeld believes Ireland showed their full deck of cards for the first time during their 36-6 win-or-bust Pool C triumph over Italy in Dunedin three days ago.

“It’s nice to say Ireland actually had some back play. We saw the strength of their backs for the first time,” he said.

“It’s going to be an interesting battle, but, if Wales carry on playing the way they are, I’m going to back them against the Irish.

“I like the way they combine, while Ireland are still a bit disjointed.

“Experience always plays its part and the Irish have got lots of it, but the midfield of the Welsh is pretty strong and abrasive. What Wales usually bring to the table is that they want to play rugby and run at you.”

Kronfeld identified teenager George North, the 19-year-old wing who has racked up a staggering nine tries in only 11 internationals, as the player to eclipse Ireland attacking genius Brian O’Driscoll.

“North is a hard runner, but he’s also happy to pass the ball. Wales have the ability to move it from one spot to another and bring people on to it,” he said.

“That’s how they are breaking people and how they will beat Ireland.”

However, Mallett has installed Ireland as firm favourites to progress to the semi-finals.

“Where is their weakness?” asked Mallett, after being shocked by how good Ireland’s forwards were when they knocked out his Azzurri last Sunday. “Wales have played some great rugby and went very close to beating South Africa so it should be an exciting game.

“But my view is that Ireland have got a team that can knock over anyone on that side of the draw.

“No team can be confident playing against Ireland at the moment and say: ‘We’ve got a genuine chance of beating them.’

“The Irish were just a great deal better team than we were.

“Their loose forwards. Sean O’Brien and Stephen Ferris. were hitting the line really hard, but it wasn’t just them to be fair.

“Their front five played very well. They backs controlled the game very well, never allowing us time or space. They never played rugby in their half and we were properly outplayed in the second half.”

Mallett warned Wales that Wellington would be like Dublin on Saturday, expressing astonishment at the support Ireland received from its 25,000 strong ‘Blarney Army’ in Dunedin last Sunday.

“It was like playing at Lansdowne Road.

“There was a huge, mass of green across the stadium,” he said.

To say no team can be confident thay have a genuine chance against Ireland is going it a bit. That said, much of the detail of what Mallett says is spot on.

Jones versus Healy in the front row will be a crucial duel. Earlier in the tournament I'd have said it would go Jones' way for sure. I'm a fair bit less certain now and, without that advantage in particular, I think Ireland will just have too much.

Experience

Ireland:
Average age: 28
Caps: 49

Wales:
Average age: 25.5
Caps: 36.4

*Ireland clearly have the edge with regards to big game experience, when taking into account HC rugby*

JJ:

I could still see us taking the advantage in the scrum with Jenkins and Jones both starting (i guess as usual a lot will depend on how the Ref views this area) . My main concern in the set piece is that our line out will fall to pieces once again come crunch time.

After all his big talk before the game i think Mallett was going slightly ott as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom