• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Rugby World Cup 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=45879.msg1407745#msg1407745 date=1317540049]
That there's no real favorite here is great ...
[/quote]

Yeah i can't help but agree mate. Apart from 1 game from here on in the rest remain coin flips. Sooooo looking forward to the QF's

Good luck to the Irish! Could be a brutal game this.

[quote author=doctor_mac link=topic=45879.msg1407748#msg1407748 date=1317540775]
OH no! It's Kaplan!
[/quote]

He hasn't been too bad so far this tournament, but I know what you mean. Kaplan's a confident ref, but too often confidently wrong.

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=45879.msg1407751#msg1407751 date=1317541747]
who are we playing in the QFs? Aussies or Oirish?
[/quote]

If Ireland win today, you've got the Aussies.

[quote author=Kenny4PM link=topic=45879.msg1407764#msg1407764 date=1317543751]
Dirty, dirty play from the Italian hooker.

Why was that not a try?
[/quote]

It wasn't a try because Kaplan's a dick.

I'm no rugby expert by any means but this Sean O'Brien is a force of fucking nature.

Some great rugby in that 2nd half from Ireland. Italy were fucking shit. All about the mistakes and dirty play from Italy today.

Well done the Irish!

So many great match up's in our upcoming QF!

Whoever comes through it i hope they go on and win the World Cup. I'm looking forward to seeing how you guys call it, because i simply can't split the 2 sides right now.

Oh how i wish i was in NZ for that match

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=45879.msg1407788#msg1407788 date=1317547366]
QF picks ... let's have 'em lads ...
[/quote]

Only one i can call with any confidence is NZ v Argies (obviously AB's to win)

France v England *Flips coin* France win

Wales v Ireland *Flips coin* Wales win

Aussies v South Africa *Flips coin* South Africa win

[quote author=Kenny4PM link=topic=45879.msg1407792#msg1407792 date=1317547838]
Well done the Irish!

So many great match up's in our upcoming QF!

Whoever comes through it i hope they go on and win the World Cup. I'm looking forward to seeing how you guys call it, because i simply can't split the 2 sides right now.

Oh how i wish i was in NZ for that match
[/quote]

Yeah, that's going to be something else.

I think Ireland have the marginally the better preparation from the group phase going into this, with a very tough must win game to put us through, we should be mentally in a very good place.

That was a great win today after a really tough first half.

[quote author=Kenny4PM link=topic=45879.msg1407794#msg1407794 date=1317548000]
[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=45879.msg1407788#msg1407788 date=1317547366]
[/quote]

[/quote]

"Flips coin" my hairy Arsenal. ;D

NZ win (not necessarily by much).

England win (ditto).

Ireland win (I'd have made a different prediction earlier in the tournament, but the Irish backs are starting to play now and their front row is the most improved in world rugby, the question-mark over Best notwithstanding).

S.Africa win (here again I'd have said different earlier on, but the Saffers look in better form overall).

[quote author=Kenny4PM link=topic=45879.msg1407802#msg1407802 date=1317548651]
I've not seen much of Cronin so "if" Best is ruled out will that be much of a lose?
[/quote]

Yeah.

Cronin is shaky at best in the lineout.

tut tut

England are in fresh trouble at the Rugby World Cup, following an extraordinary 24 hours on and off the field. Further allegations of off-field misbehaviour have led to three players being officially reprimanded, Mike Tindall has admitted that he did not tell the full truth about his well-publicised night out in Queenstown last month and there are increasing doubts about the fitness of Jonny Wilkinson

The litany of issues facing the team manager, Martin Johnson, has overshadowed the team's tense 16-12 victory over Scotland which set up a quarter-final against France on Saturday. Johnson has confirmed that three of his squad – James Haskell, Dylan Hartley and Chris Ashton – are on a final warning after a hotel employee complained that she had been subjected to lewd banter. A spokesman for Tindall said the player had apologised for giving a misleading account of his evening activities in Queenstown last month.

While the Tindall allegations have already received extensive coverage, Johnson has refused to discipline the player, insisting he had merely been "inaccurate in his recollection of the events of the night" rather than attempting "an orchestrated cover-up" following the release of CCTV pictures which showed him visiting a second bar in Queenstown with a blonde companion.

Johnson was less sympathetic towards Haskell, Hartley and Ashton, who he said had been left "in no doubt" about his anger following a complaint about their conduct from a female hotel worker. All three were required to apologise formally to Annabel Newton after she was reportedly subjected to lewd comments. According to the Sunday Mirror, Ms Newton said the men "treated me with no respect" after she was called into a bedroom at the Southern Cross Hotel in Dunedin to retrieve a walkie-talkie.

"I was angry with them," said Johnson. "It is just the sort of thing we have talked about. What they thought was humour and a light-hearted exchange has clearly not been taken that way by Annabel, the girl involved. At the time they apologised when they realised they had stepped over the mark. They were shocked when they understood how upset she had become. They have been reprimanded for their behaviour and left in no doubt. If you leave yourself open for these headlines to be written it drags us all into it and that is what makes me particularly angry."

A series of controversies have hit the England squad since their arrival in New Zealand a month ago. Only on Friday the Rugby Football Union opted to suspend two back-room staff, the kicking coach Dave Alred and conditioning coach Paul Stridgeon, for their part in the ball-switching saga during the match against Romania which earned further unwanted headlines.

Before England left for New Zealand, Johnson said he would not be banning alcohol or imposing curfews and he said on Sunday that he still trusts his players.

"I don't think they will take liberties," he said, saying he was confident no more stories would emerge. "Yeah, I am. I think it was a shock to those players that they'd left themselves open to appearing on the front page of a paper. That's upsetting for them, and it's obviously not great for the team. I don't want to sit here talking about these allegations when we've qualified for the quarter-finals of a World Cup."

Asked whether any consideration had been given to sending Tindall home, Johnson said: "His recollection is wrong of where he's been, and the order he's in there, and that is what it is. There's video footage that was available at the time so I don't think he'd be foolish enough to think he could get away with lying because of the situation he's in and the evidence that's available. So I think it's an innocent mistake and his recollection was incorrect."

Johnson has also conceded that the England management are concerned about whether Wilkinson will be available to face France, after the fly-half went for a scan on his right forearm.

"Jonny got scanned last night on his upper forearm, elbow region," said Johnson. "That didn't show anything and while that is good news, obviously at this point in the tournament it is a little bit of a worry. We need another day to see where he is and whether he will be available for the weekend."

An update is also still awaited on Tindall's fitness. The Gloucester centre has a dead leg and, like Wilkinson, will be assessed again on Monday.

Delon Armitage will appear at disciplinary hearing in Auckland on Monday after being cited for a "dangerous high tackle" on Scotland's Chris Paterson. The offence carries a guideline suspension of between two and 10 weeks.

That ref was a joke. Ireland should cite (sp) for making crap decisions, 2 good trys ruled out.

As for England, I'm not entirely sure what MJ is doing. The team have been disjointed for years, the system needs pulling apart and re building. The refs do seem overly harsh on the top 5 teams.

[quote author=Kenny4PM link=topic=45879.msg1407802#msg1407802 date=1317548651]
I've not seen much of Cronin so "if" Best is ruled out will that be much of a lose?
[/quote]

If Best is out it is a big loss. I think he's playing his best Rugby since he's joined the Ireland set up. I think his scrummaging has been fantastic, his line-out throw in has been very much improved (it has been a problem), and his ball-carrying in the loose has been very useful too. I hope he's OK.

In fairness to Kaplan, the TV ref let him down badly with the Bowe breakaway try. The Italian winger clearly held Bowe back and Kaplan thought he might have done, hence he asked for a ruling on that as well as the try itself, but the TV ref said "No foul".

I was concerned about Johnno's performance for some time, but England had been improving in the lead-up to the tournament. Something just hasn't clicked out there. Mind you, they're still winning.

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=45879.msg1407813#msg1407813 date=1317550373]
[quote author=Kenny4PM link=topic=45879.msg1407794#msg1407794 date=1317548000]
[/quote]

[/quote]

"Flips coin" my hairy Arsenal. ;D

[/quote]

I've done the coin flip over 100 times and you know what mate it has come out in Frances favour every time. *spooky*

Odds are so close for the QF's!

Ireland -2 v Wales +2
England -4 v France +4
Argies +27 v New Zealand -27
Aussies -1 v South Africa +1

NZ 8/11
Aussies 7/1
South Africa 8/1
England 9/1
Ireland 12/1
Wales 14/1
France 16/1 (Good bet)
Argies 250/1

3 of those are too tight to call. The World Cup will be won by whoever can keep their first XV on the pitch.

It's going to be a cracking weekend of rugby. We go into it in good shape, particularly if Best is okay - I'd second everything Doc has said about him, he's been consistently excellent for about 18 months now for Ireland.

Murray stepped up nicely today as well, our backline looked sharper and in Healy, Ferris and O'Brien we've got three forwards who match up pretty well against the best in the game. O'Brien has to be in the discussion for best player in tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom