• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Ray Clemence

Status
Not open for further replies.
RIP.. I was too young to see him play, but always appreciated his place as perhaps our greatest ever keeper.

YNWA

What a strange coincidence, I was just reading about a baseball pitcher called Roger Clemens...then I see this.

Anyway, like others have said, I never got to see him play but I've seen highlights and I know that he's often rated as Liverpool best ever keeper.
RIP, YNWA

Last edited:

He talks about the CL final against Spurs 0.44s in.
Spoiler: He was still a "red", despite playing and coaching for Spurs.

That's really sad. He was the first keeper of whom I knew, and would always be the most graceful. Even the way he kicked the ball out was aesthetically appealing (even when it went straight into touch - kicking was never his strongest point). But he combined that with a ferocious screaming at his back four. When Clemence was in goal, no defender dozed off. And what saves he made. He won us the UEFA Cup, the first European trophy I remember, and what a proud feeling that was for Liverpool. Everything he did, it just looked right, it just looked beautiful. On top of that, he seemed a lovely man, and that sight of him returning with Spurs, tears in his eyes as he ran out to the Kop - my god, that was touching. He'll be missed forever.

Last edited:
Sad news. His career at Liverpool was before my time, but his record speaks for itself. He won pretty much everything there was to win, and in some cases over and over again. Even after all the years since he left, he still has the records for most appearances by a keeper, most clean sheets and season with fewest goals conceded.

I saw him play one of his earliest games for us, away at West Brom. We lost 1-0 but it wasn't down to Clem. The thing I remember most about him in that game was how humungously far downfield he kicked the ball, even if as macca says the direction wasn't always there later on. Alisson may take over one day but currently Clem defo gets in my version of the All-Time XI.

Ray Clemence RIP.

e857120fb5610abdcda0aa5a63011b83.jpg

I was a little kid when Clemence left, my main memories of him involve not really noticing him when he was there but pretending to be him when we played 3 and in in the park. I only realised how good he was the season after he left when all you heard all around Anfield most matches was for fucks sake Brucie, how did this clown replace Clem, etc.

He was the keeper I first remember as a youthful supporter, and someone I still consider an absolute legend. Still our greatest #1 in my opinion. RIP Clem.

In goals on my first trip to Anfield. The best. And my first favourite player. Got his on goalkeeping book for Xmas 1978. What a keeper he was.

Read today he only left Liverpool because he felt flat after winning the European Club in Paris in 1981. Success had become too routine.

I've only ever seen highlights, but you can quickly tell he had the reflexes of a cat. Playing on uneven, muddy pitches must have it even more challenging than it is today.

Sad loss for the game and the club.

I thought it was because of Grobelaar?

Think he was signed as a reserve and just stepped up once Clemence left, but I don't know exact details. The club certainly tried to keep hold of Clemence and Grobelaar took months to get up to speed.

The duel between him and Shilton for the England shirt was a fascinating one. I saw them both play more than once and Shilton was more spectacular in style, but (biased though I certainly was) Clem always looked a safer bet to me. You could sort of see how Shilton would be that bit more likely to catch an England manager's eye and end up as he did with twice as many caps, but I can't help wondering whether Clem would have got the nod more often from (a) different England boss(es).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom