• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Ray Clemence

Status
Not open for further replies.
The duel between him and Shilton for the England shirt was a fascinating one. I saw them both play more than once and Shilton was more spectacular in style, but (biased though I certainly was) Clem always looked a safer bet to me. You could sort of see how Shilton would be that bit more likely to catch an England manager's eye and end up as he did with twice as many caps, but I can't help wondering whether Clem would have got the nod more often from (a) different England boss(es).

Yes, Shilton was an egomaniac - I think he was the first player to play in his own monogrammed shirt! Jan Molby always said he loved taking pens against Shilton because he'd never move early for fear of being seen to dive the wrong way, so as long as you hit the ball in the corner he'd have no chance of getting to it. Clemence was so much better to watch - really graceful. Shilton was all muscle. I think Clemence had lousy luck with England - whenever he got a chance something weird would happen, like when his eyes were exposed to tear gas when the fans behind the goal got attacked by the police in the European Championships.

The rumour when he left was that he'd been having an affair with Emlyn Hughes' wife, but there was never any truth in that as far as I'm aware. I think it was simply as he said: he felt flat after the European Cup win and wanted another challenge.

Peter Shilton started wearing a shirt that said 'P.S.' I mean, he actually showcased himself as an after-thought. He wasn't very bright.

Ray's low point was in an England-Scotland game when Kenny stabbed the ball at him and it went through his legs. And of course he never let Ray forget it when they ended up as teammates.

But everything you see today in terms of bowling the ball out and starting attacks, it was Ray who started that. I don't remember Tommy Lawrence, apparently he was already pushing out of the area as a sweeper-keeper, but Ray's throwing was really exceptional at the time. Every time Alisson hurls the ball towards Salah it reminds me of Clemence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom