• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre match thread: Liverpool v Hull

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a dream I ended up in Berlin last night on a last minute session but I'm actually flying back to Liverpool from Bordeaux at 3 just in time to have a party with Jeremy Corbyn.

So yeah, we'll win 2-0

I had a dream I ended up in Berlin last night on a last minute session but I'm actually flying back to Liverpool from Bordeaux at 3 just in time to have a party with Jeremy Corbyn.

So yeah, we'll win 2-0
Heh. I don't think it's stretching much to say the Corbyn has more support in Liverpool than any other English city.

That new foodbank/Orgreave banner featuring Corbyn at the match today has certainly ruffled a few of the fans feathers who aren't from Liverpool that's for sure.

Heh. I don't think it's stretching much to say the Corbyn has more support in Liverpool than any other English city.

That new foodbank/Orgreave banner featuring Corbyn at the match today has certainly ruffled a few of the fans feathers who aren't from Liverpool that's for sure.
?

IMG_20160924_111639.jpg

Ok, I'm going to throw it out there, I don't think we should start with Mane in this game. They're going to be really compressed and I don't think Mane's pace and energy is the skill set we need. He wasn't great against Chelsea when they played like that. For me:

Coutinho---------Firmino -----------Studge

-----------Gini---------------Lallana

-------------------- Hendo

Mane should come on in the second half when they're tiring.

Ok, I'm going to throw it out there, I don't think we should start with Mane in this game. They're going to be really compressed and I don't think Mane's pace and energy is the skill set we need. He wasn't great against Chelsea when they played like that. For me:

That's a fucking good point. His game doesn't suit a compressed defence cos he won't have room to exploit it with pace. On paper anyway.

I'm not saying there may not be a way to make use of it. Possibly pairing him with Sturridge upfront, & using both of them & their pace in order to stretch their defence?

Pace can be deadly against a "compressed" defense, if it's not just "raw" pace, but is combined with good close control and finishing. Barca used Eto'o's pace brilliantly in Guardiola's "treble" season and he almost always used speedy players in Bayern and now Man City as well. Arguably it's mainly the lack of pace that often prevented us from breaking through a "parked bus" over the years.

Mane is our best player, so I'd be tempted to play him

I didn't say not to play him. I said to introduce him at the optimum point. Mane wasn't our best player against Chelsea by a long shot, and that's because they had very compressed defensive lines in the first half.

Pace is the one thing we missed against Burnley. We were shite trying to open them up with intricate passes through the middle . He's a must to start

If Sturridge & Mane play we can stretch them both right at the back with studge's pace & use Mane to use the space behind, or even create yet more space for Firmino & Lallana to make use of.

Karius is a young goalkeeper and will probably make a few mistakes during the start of his Liverpool career.
Lets give him a bit of time to adapt and find his place.

Great to see him start though.
Let's face it, even if he makes half the mistakes Mignolet does, his style of play & that sweeping he does will make up for it anyway. Hopefully that won't be the case though & he'll rarely make that type of fuck up.

Confirmed #LFC team v @HullCity: Karius, Clyne, Matip, Klavan, Milner, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Lallana, Coutinho, Mane, Firmino #LFCvHCFC

Lovren out injured with a viral infection

The best way we've broken down compressed defences is by getting around the outside of them. Mane and Milner are crucial for stretching them.

Bit worried about this game. We've been here before and not performed. Hopefully we have learned our lesson and get the job done.

Bit worried about this game. We've been here before and not performed. Hopefully we have learned our lesson and get the job done.
Indeed, these next two games are as big a test of where we are as Spurs, Leicester and Chelsea were, hopefully we can past that test, win both of these games and i'll get a little confident.

It is a possibility that they'll sit back and play for a point, none of our midfielders will need to run and press, so they'll aimlessly pass it around and rack up 75% possession like they did at Burnley, of course nobody will score, and then Klavan or Karius or both will fuck us over with a stupid mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom