• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post Match Paradise

Status
Not open for further replies.

localny

Well-Known
End of Season 2014-2015 - Stoke City FC beat us 5-0

March 2019 - 1 Point off the title in a two horse race. 3-1 win v Bayern @ CL sends us into CL Quarters. We're up there with a hugely rich MCFC, when it seemed we could never even dream of a thing because of our lack of $.

We've seen some terrible days, but this is some turn-around. Make sure and enjoy it lads.

Oh and FYI, managers don't matter :)
PS: Say thanks to FSG now as well!

End of Season 2014-2015 - Stoke City FC beat us 5-0

March 2019 - 1 Point off the title in a two horse race. 3-1 win v Bayern @ CL sends us into CL Quarters. We're up there with a hugely rich MCFC, when it seemed we could never even dream of a thing because of our lack of $.

We've seen some terrible days, but this is some turn-around. Make sure and enjoy it lads.

Oh and FYI, managers don't matter :)
PS: Say thanks to FSG now as well!
Stoke beat us 6-1.

Fantastic performance and yet another special European night. Several players were boss, but special praise for Matip.
Probably his best performance for us.

Fantastic performance and yet another special European night. Several players were boss, but special praise for Matip.
I don't disagree, but hilarious thats the case in the game where he scores his only own goal for us.

Because I have no life I rewatched the 2nd half and I think understood something I completely missed while watching the game live: it was actually our midfield that won us this game. Not in the sense of having any particularly great individual performances, but I think Klopp selected his workmanlike midfield to take advantage of the fact that Bayern simply doesn't have one. Goretzka was left on the bench until too late and the trio of Martinez-Thiago-James were comfortably outrun and outworked by our midfield 3 (which would have happened if Hendo didn't get injured just as well), with our advantage increasing by the minute in the 2nd half as their legs simply couldn't keep up with the amount of running.

During the game it seemed strange to me why Bayern dropped deep and let us control the ball so much in the 2nd half; having re-watched it was clear that they simply couldn't maintain any kind of consistent high press, especially with the aging Ribery and Lewandowski (who to his credit worked the hardest of Bayern's front 6) and snail-paced James, so they had no option other than to drop off. They did so at Anfield too, but in that game they had a clear plan to defend a point – here they were caught between wanting and needing to attack and the reality of having to defend deep in large numbers because their front 6 couldn't disrupt our build-up.

I'm sure there is a Sun Tzu quote somewhere about making the outcome of a battle hinge on the one area where you have a clear advantage; that's exactly what Klopp did and that's what most of us (including myself) have missed pre-match. We have struggled for creativity in recent EPL games and naturally all the talk among the fans was about having someone like Lallana, Shaqiri or ideally Ox to support the front 3 from midfield. In this game, however, against this Bayern team still in search of an identity, a workmanlike midfield turned out to be exactly what the doctor ordered.

Last edited:
Today Is a great day. The toughest draw arguably and the biggest statement beating Bayern on their own patch.

Porto next please.

I also love the fact we seem to have found another deminsion to counter teams crowding the central areas to stop us playing through them. Now we can whip crosses in where Mane’s pace and athelisism can hurt any back line.

Cudos to you! You had the guts to praise Matip. I mean others were more focused on him scoring an own goal.

10A3E9C6-47AC-4921-83DB-74031A7C198B.png

Hahahaha! Fans are knobheads..
but look at Mo, hes having a day isnt he...

I don't disagree, but hilarious thats the case in the game where he scores his only own goal for us.

Yeah, but that own goal can happen to anyone when you’re defending that close to goal and Lewandowski was a certain to score. I dont look like it as a mistake.

Matip was brilliant. For once he was aggressive and commanding, his best game for us.

Cudos to you! You had the guts to praise Matip. I mean others were more focused on him scoring an own goal.
Loads of people praised him, and he didnt really get any grief for the Og.
Hes in most sane peoples top 3 in morses thread.

A few thoughts:

* Fabinho, after his jittery 'warm up' for the first 20 minutes, was fucking fantastic in the 2nd half. He is such a good tackler, and despite weighing as much as my leg, he's tough as nails and loves the physical contact. I think his performance tonight will signal to Klopp that his preferred European trio in midfield can adjusted without losing a step.
* Matip - great performance. The Mirror says he was poor - they're fucking idiots, he was physical, aggressive and showed he can be good partner to VvD
* VvD - adding goals to the best CB in the world? Fucking world class CB, world class leader and he's ours.
* Mane - How good is he? I mean, work rate, pace, goals, physicality etc. Yah, he's streaky as fuck but when he's on this form, he's world fucking class. There's a reason he's being linked to Madrid again. If it wasn't for him in the last 10 games, our season would be in a very different place.
* Salah - I was fuming that he didn't pass to Mane when they were basically 2v1 ... But that assist was fucking phenomenal. It feels like he's desperate for goals - which should come, but aside from that part, he's playing really well.
* This game meant a LOT to Klopp. Glad the team gave him what he wanted.
* Lastly, no disrespect to our team - beating Bayern away 3-1 is incredible - but Bayern looked terrible. They cannot be that bad. There was no urgency in their play, no cutting edge, no nothing really. Sure, it may have been different if that 2nd cross from Gnabry (I think) finds Lewandoski or Coman but they just came off like a team who didn't think they belonged on the pitch with us ... ON THEIR HOME GROUND.

I agree. Anyone who had a pop at Matip there can fuck off. He had to try and get something on it or lewandowski would have scored anyway. He was boss, especially 2nd half.

Very true, and it was not just last nights game...Matip has been excellent in most games playing alonside VVD.

I agree. Anyone who had a pop at Matip there can fuck off. He had to try and get something on it or lewandowski would have scored anyway. He was boss, especially 2nd half.

Very true, and it was not just last nights game...Matip has been excellent in most games playing alonside VVD.

Some thoughts...

Wijnaldum didn't have a good game in my opinion. A player who normally displays excellent control and awareness but was often dispossessed and outmuscled in midfield by Alcantara and the rest.

As others have said, Matip was brilliant.
Showed a lot more grit than I expected of him.

Milner did really well but it bothers me that when playing on the left, he doesn't just whip the ball in with his left foot.

Mane - World class.

The game changed when Fabinho came on. Could be a coincidence, but one thing's for sure, we ALL wanted him to start. I guess someone upstairs wanted that too(wink). I think he made a significant impact when he came on, especially in the second half as LTW alluded to.

Salah worries me. That attack when he decided to go at it alone instead of giving it to Mane tells me that he's getting desperate.

Last edited:
Wijnaldum didn't have a good game in my opinion. A player who normally displays excellent control and awareness buy was often dispossessed and outmuscled in midfield by Alcantara and the rest.

Salah worries me. That attack when he decided to go at it alone instead of givinig it to Mane tells me that he's getting desperate.

I've noticed Gini losing possession more and more recently - that's a sign he's tired. He needs a break.

Yup, that's my concern with Salah too. Last year, everyone thought Mane was struggle with Salah's meteoric rise ...
Perhaps Mane's incredible form is putting unnecessary pressure on Mo to compete?

I've noticed Gini losing possession more and more recently - that's a sign he's tired. He needs a break.

Yup, that's my concern with Salah too. Last year, everyone thought Mane was struggle with Salah's meteoric rise ...
Perhaps Mane's incredible form is putting unnecessary pressure on Mo to compete?
Good point. All strikers or forwards are a bit selfish, but both Mane and Salah are guilty of taking it to the extreme at times. Firmino in the middle trying to mediate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom