• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post Match Paradise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had this stuck in my head since waking this morning with a massive shit eating grin plastered all over my face, so thought I'd share the earworm...

Bring on your Manchester United,
Bring on your cockneys by the score,
And we'll take them two by two,
And kick the fuck out of you,
Cos Liverpool are the team that we adore

Bring on your mighty Barcelona,
Bring on the Roma's by the score
Barcelona Real Madrid who the fuck you tring to kid
Cos Liverpool are the team that we adore

Bring on your Bayer Leverkusen
Bring on Juventus by the score
Chelsea's Millions men are dull
as we go to Istanbul
Cos Liverpool are the team that we adore!

So I guess Shaqiri has this thing where he plays great, looks like he gives a fuck for 6 months and then turns to shit?
Basel
Bayern
Inter
Stoke
Us....

Something clearly aint right with the kid.

And dont get me started on Naby.

So I guess Shaqiri has this thing where he plays great, looks like he gives a fuck for 6 months and then turns to shit?
Basel
Bayern
Inter
Stoke
Us....

Something clearly aint right with the kid.

And dont get me started on Naby.

Shaqiri has been troubled by a back injury, I think thats has got more to do with it than that theory.
Hopefully he’ll return to form soon.

I thought getting to the final last year by spanking pretty much everyone we met had already done that...
Doing it one season is different to doing it two seasons on the bounce.

I think it may be alluding to the fact we're playing a more conservative way too (his post match comment said "we did as much as necessary to win the game" which I thought was telling"), which is arguably more likely to beat many sides & ensure progression on a more regular basis than the balls out blow them away style of last season.

attachment.php

Great result. Bayern not at the races really.
Since we've bought them the market has obviously changed, but, can you imagine how much Virgil and Mane would cost on the open market now? Virgil really is establishing himself as the best CB in the world, which is fantastic. Have to give him the captaincy next season.

So, the predicted Bayern attacking onslaught didn't really happen, and the first half started much like the game at Anfield - cagey, pedestrian and littered with sloppy passing and poor decisions. Lewandowski and Ribery spluttered into life on occasion, but they didn't threaten too much.

Even when we scored, there wasn't the expected response, no sense of outrage or defiance, and the halftime score of 1-1 seemed quite fine, really. If anything, Bayern showed even less in the second half, although that was partly because we started to play much better, with Fabinho wresting control and the front three starting to function much better, and in the end we won very comfortably and convincingly. Bayern looked strangely not arsed, wandering off at the end chatting and smiling. They look a team in need of major surgery. We looked like a team.

Allison (7) Had surprisingly little to do, no chance for the own goal, and used the ball quickly and well. Safe as houses.

TAA (7) Given a few testing moments against Sloth, but stood up well, and then ramped up his attacking game with some aggressive bursts forward and good passing, before dealing with Coman aswell

Matip (7) Horrible start and some lackadaisical play, and then an own goal. But he was largely excellent after the break, and gave Bayern nothing. There was even one or two thumping interceptions.

Virgil (9) Lewandowski will not want to play against him any time soon, he was brutally snuffed out by a majestic Van Dijk who was simply unplayable. Added to Bayern's misery by scoring the goal that really took the wind out of their sails.

Robertson (6) Not a great first half, with some bad positioning and a few lapses of concentration. Much better after halftime, but ridiculous challenge for a yellow card and suspension too the gloss off the evening a bit.

Henderson (n/a)/ Fabinho (6) Awful half an hour, he was tentative and gave the ball away too often, but came out transformed in the second half and helped subdue Bayern with some controlled, aggressive DM play.

Wijnaldum (6) Looked totally fucked at times, and coughed up possession again and again, but was another who was much better as the game went on, and started to make use of the space and lethargy of Bayern's strolling midfield to start attacks.

Milner (6) Got through an immense amount of work and the Champions League assist machine was at it again later on. He was lacking in composure with the ball, but he pressed high and allowed Bayern no space or room to work in.

Salah (7) Worked like a Trojan to help out TAA, and while he looks shorn of confidence and luck in front of goal, some of his link play and general attacking football was great, not least that sumptuous ball that curved right onto Mane's head for the third.

Firmino (7) Was way, *way* too deep into midfield at times, and that meant we couldn't stretch Bayern much. Remembered he was a striker eventually, and had a couple of decent efforts, and also set up a great chance for Salah. Some smart flicks and passes kept Bayern on the back foot and was typically industrious without the ball.

Mane (9) Bayern couldn't stop him. They couldn't get *near* him. His first goal was almost an outrage, such was the skill, movement, speed of thought and nerveless finish. Then he planted his head onto a Salah Guided Missile to put Bayern out of their misery. Just boss.

Fuck I love Mane.

Phenomenal.

My favourite player. His courage to want the ball even when playing bad is outrageous. And when he’s on he’s one of the most unplayable forwards in the game.

Swoon.

I was at work and missed the game. Very happy we won. Does anyone have any links to the goals or highlights?

I always thought we were favorites going into the match, but I didn't expect it to be so straight forward. We've been overpraised in the English press at least, who seem to still believe Bayern are a European heavy-weight. The truth is their squad is aging and aging badly, they have an inexperienced manager, Kimmech was out, and their main attacking threats didn't start the match. I'm not saying it was easy pickings - they're still experienced and dangerous in the right moments - but really it wasn't such a big scalp. Robinson needs to get his head screwed on sharpish. He's been exposed badly in both games against Bayern in ways we haven't seen in the Premier League. The booking at the end was foolhardy and could prove costly.

Henderson's injury allowed Fabinho to come on, who provided some amazing defensive cover in the few dangerous periods Bayern could actually conjour. In one play he transitioned from DM to CB and snuffed out their dangerous attack with a challenge only the best CB's can make. He really is valuable and should be nailed on to start all our important matches. There isn't a blade of grass on any pitch where Fabinho isn't effective.

Our midfield was functional, disciplined, unflashy, and outfought Bayern in the crucial opening of the second half, who didn't seem to have the stamina or desire to go toe-to-toe with us in the middle. They looked a side who had watched our European run last year are were scared. They didn't just play within themselves, they forgot to play at all. But this wasn't the Liverpool side of last year that tore teams up for fun in periods of intense, intentional chaos. The performance relied on moments of greatness, but those moments were cemented with mature, controlled, sensible play. Once we scored the second, it never looked in doubt.

Mane was just sensational, putting his best all-round performance since he signed. He's always been a streaky player with the potential to step it up and become one considered world-class. Last night may have been the night he made that leap. The poise, grace and clinical finishing of the first goal was something to behold. Yes, Nauer fucked up, but Mane knew it and acted on it before anyone else had even blinked. It's rare you can compare football to ballet but this was as close as it gets. The first touch was impeccable, the second was jaw-dropping, and the finish was composure personified.

Salah had flashes of greatness but otherwise cut a frustrated figure. In attacking areas he's playing with doubt, guilty of over-playing and playing with his head down. The remarkable assist was almost at odds with the rest of his performance, but it does deserve a special mention. The cross was inch perfect to the point a nodding dog could have buried it. I just hope the happiness he gets from this starts to get him to lift his head up more during play and look for the better options. It's the basis of our attacking unit and when one player fails to apply the rule, the rest of it starts to crumble.

Firmino worked like a trooper for the 80 minutes but wasn't able to combine that by hurting Bayern in possession. Their midfield retreated so deep that Firmino had little room to operate between them and their tall and imposing CB's. I was calling for Origi long before he actually came on and his physical presence actually helped us with the third.

VVD, although failed to stop two crosses from the right-hand side, was otherwise imperious and put in a display that just made you think he's going to be remembered not of the best CB's of his generation, but one of the best CB's ever. When there's any glimpse of danger, VVD is there, in the way, blocking everything, winning every header, clearing out. There are times when it's like watching a semi-pro adult playing in an under 12's match he's so far ahead in the matchups against his opponents that I think many just give up. Combine that with a goal and an assist and you don't just have a brilliant footballer, you have a fucking terminator; a player who your mate edits on his FIFA team to try and cheat his way to victory; a player who just shouldn't exist, but somehow does. £75M looks like pocket change for him. He's worth double.

Special mention to Klopp, who hasn't shied away from leaving his expensive signings at home, is getting every inch of talent out of the players, has evolved us away from heavy metal football to a side which can win football matches in multiple ways. We no longer have to give 150% effort every second. We're playing with our heads as much as our legs and in the long-run, this will help us not only reduce injuries, but allow us to compete for more and more trophies at once.

Last edited:
Very nice post @Squiggles however I can't agree in full on Salah. He played with confidence and attacked them with pace and trickery throughout and played a sensational pass to Mane for our third.

The only downside remains his shooting, straight at Neur when twice he had chances to put it away, and last season he almost certainly would have, probably due to this dry spell he seems to be trying to blast his way to a goal whereas he usually places/curls it beyond keepers - which when you see those two shots from his perspective he would likely easily have scored had he done so.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom