• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post match acceptance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even though he went full Karius last night, I do agree with Klopp, Adrian deserves some slack, he has had some very very good games for us where the likes of mongolet or karius would have for sure fucked us, and he's been upto Alisson standards on many a game. It's shame that he went full retard last night, in a game where the forwards were unlikely to be able to bail him out.

Thought we put in a proper shift, and against a lesser team, it could have been a cricket score. But I thought all the forwards were off. It's all good and well putting in all the graft and having loads of touches in the box etc, and having millions of shots, but very few of those shots made a super keeper like Oblak have to pull off a worldy, virtually all he would have been expected to save and were virtually right at him. We've got to be more clinical, we have enough chances from the their hard work and movement.

Arsed

People drop every day from more preventable things.

People give a shit now because there's a real chance they'd be affected
Yep.

1960611.jpg

i thought we'd go out but it's tough to lose like this.
We were so so much better than them, and our wastefulness and Oblak's greatness (and luck too with saves not coming close to our players) was the difference.
Last night was the first time in ages I saw that 'hunger' and 'mentality' we'd really been missing the last month ... It seems we'll be fine - if allowed to play - and hopefully crush City's point record.
Our team, bar Adrian, were great - was really really impressed how we utterly shat on the best defensive team the continent has known in a long time. THe gulf in class was extreme.
Oh well, a bit of an anti-climactic end to the season but the league is the bread and butter, and now we're almost there for #19.
Let's do it ... and then fucking match the Manc cunts as a birthday present to Ferguson.

Disappointed but not as much as i expected. The whole (outfield) team played well, could easily have had 5 or 6. Should certainly mean the lads are up for it on Monday.

I'd have subbed Hendo after 90 mins - thought he was starting to look tired.

Credit to Atletico, I don't like them but they are good at what they do. Would have liked Trent to have another go at Moratta mind. :)

How far do we think Atletico can go this year ?

Disappointed but not as much as i expected. The whole (outfield) team played well, could easily have had 5 or 6. Should certainly mean the lads are up for it on Monday.

I'd have subbed Hendo after 90 mins - thought he was starting to look tired.

Credit to Atletico, I don't like them but they are good at what they do. Would have liked Trent to have another go at Moratta mind. :)

How far do we think Atletico can go this year ?
They got lucky - aka we were profligate. I can't see another ¼ finalist being so generous. But I think the CL ¼ s will be postponed until next pre-season anyway.

I feel disappointed but it wasn't unexpected. I was the most negative I've been this season before the game and always thought we were going out - until we scored then I thought we were going to run riot.

However it feels like the enjoyment balance of this season is all out of kilter. Wins in the Super Cup and World Club Championship came early on and virtually wrapping the season up so early, means the last 2 months will mean little or nothing. Excpet if the points total is still in reach - I'd love that.

I think we'll get it done by beating Everton & Palace and then give it a last hurrah at City, before I go into hibernation (maybe literally) for an extended off season.

To score 2 goals against am was brilliant but Adrian cost us. That said we missed a lot of chances in the 90 minutes

Last season we had a sticky patch and we lost the league. This seasons sticky patch has led to us being booted out of 2 cups in 8 days. At least the league least is all wrapped up. That was only the target. We have done it.

Hopefully (unlikely) we sign some players to improve first team, / squad so we can rotate more for other competitions

Just after Bobby's goal, someone (not sure who) on the left hand side, just inside our half, played a pass right out to the right wing. Went out for a throw, they then had possession.

I'd have liked to have seen instead a 50 yard pass back to Adrian. Set the tone, make them realise they were up against it, relax our lads a bit etc.

Oh go on, let's do them. The ratings. Fine.

We certainly didn't deserve that, even if there was a collective nervousness about the tie, and the inevitable shithousery of that cunt Slimeone and his team of expensively assembled Stoke players. Everyone was distraught about Adrian playing too, and with very good fucking reason. But we really should have won; we wasted plenty of chances and their keeper played well, but it's still a bit stupid that we managed to fuck up so many opportunities. And how we paid the price.

Adrian (2) OK, this obviously wasn't Karius levels of fuckery, but it was a level just below. Fucked up a clearance, then fell over while trying to save a slow, low shot from about 25 yards. Then made no effort with the second goal, which any decent keeper should have saved. I don't want to see this capering fucking tit play for us ever again. Cunt.

TAA (7) Made some amends for his shocker in Madrid, with a quality display. Sumptuous passing and wickedly delivered balls deserved more. Had a go himself but the obdurate Oblak was - again - in the way.

Gomez (6) Didn't have that much to do, as AM sat deep and rarely attacked. He dealt with Costa well, and he hardly had a touch. Until Adrian fucked things up, and then seemed a bit deflated and sloppy.

Virgil (6) Pretty calm and composed, demanded the ball and tried to make things happen, but as soon as we went 2-2 on aggregate, he was playing midfield and totally switched off from defensive duties.

Robertson (7) Had a great tussle with Trippier, and forced him to play very deep. A few cracking tackles and was well up for it. Header off the bar was frustrating, although Trippier did well to challenge.

Henderson (7) Started like a train, and the midfield tempo was noticeably higher with the captain back. Great to see, but as he totally ran out of gas and so did our composure. Could have done better with some of his passing, but a solid and welcome return.

Wijnaldum (8) Another vital goal in Europe, and then delivered a turbo-charged dash down the right to set up Firmino's goal. Worked like a Trojan all night.

Chamberlain (8) If you ever wanted to see the embodiment of that cliche "left everything on the pitch" then this was it. He was everywhere, always trying to get us into dangerous areas, driving forward with the ball, taking shots, delivering some great crosses; all-action; non-stop; well played.

Mane (6) Always involved, but occasionally infuriating with his final ball or shot. AM were scared stiff of him, but his best efforts were easily dealt with by Oblak, and two spectacular overhead efforts were high and not so handsome.

Salah (7) Buzzed around like an angry Africanised bee, and caused plenty of problems. Wriggled free twice, but just when we thought we'd see a Salah special in the top corner, the radar went wonky. A shame.

Firmino (7) Dreadful start to the game, he looked almost woozy and his timing was fucked, wasting possession and rarely looking dangerous. Much better in the second half, as he dropped very deep and started tormenting AM. Fucked up a few opportunities, and very nearly fucked up again, but was fortunate that his header off the posts came straight back to him, and he finished well. Finally.

Subs:

Milner (6) Took about 10 seconds to launch into a thumping challenge, and moved the ball about well enough

Can't be arsed with the rest.

Oh go on, let's do them. The ratings. Fine.

Adrian (2) OK, this obviously wasn't Karius levels of fuckery, but it was a level just below. Fucked up a clearance, then fell over while trying to save a slow, low shot from about 25 yards. Then made no effort with the second goal, which any decent keeper should have saved. I don't want to see this capering fucking tit play for us ever again. Cunt.
Also, for me, too much laughing and chatting with the opposition beforehand. Afterwards, fine. Before the game, they are the enemy.

No one to blame but ourselves.

1. Adrian at fault for the first goal - allowed Atletico back into the game.

2. VVD should have come across and tackled Morata for the 2nd goal - why did he keep distance and allow him to play the ball centrally to Llorente who was then in a 1v1 situation?
I totally agree with this, it was about the casual lack of defending for the second.

But having said that, how do I feel...?

Strangely enough although I was saying that I wanted to repeat the CL, Super Cup and World Club Championship, in truth I was not feeling it. I did not feel that we had it in us to do so. We were not hungry enough for it.

Besides I have always maintained that the PL Title is the holy Grail as far as I am concerned

i thought we'd go out but it's tough to lose like this.
We were so so much better than them, and our wastefulness and Oblak's greatness (and luck too with saves not coming close to our players) was the difference.
Last night was the first time in ages I saw that 'hunger' and 'mentality' we'd really been missing the last month ... It seems we'll be fine - if allowed to play - and hopefully crush City's point record.
Our team, bar Adrian, were great - was really really impressed how we utterly shat on the best defensive team the continent has known in a long time. THe gulf in class was extreme.
Oh well, a bit of an anti-climactic end to the season but the league is the bread and butter, and now we're almost there for #19.
Let's do it ... and then fucking match the Manc cunts as a birthday present to Ferguson.

Posted my thoughts before I read this
It's funny how we,(meaning others) see things, I thought we mad the right "Mentality" and tactics to win the game, but i thought we lack the "Hunger" to step up that extra level. Yes Adrian gifted them a way back into the tie, but we were second to the ball at that point, and the midfield were struggling to hold them back and their second goal proved that and the way we defended,or did not defend it..

If We had that real "Hunger"we would have been in their face more, winning those fifty fifties, not allowing them time to pick passes, You can say that we tried, but we lack those extra yards that the "hunger" gives you.

from The New Paper,Singapore,13 Mar 2020

Liverpool deserve more than just cynicism: Neil Humphreys

They've brought much joy, but face an anti-climactic finish due to the coronavirus outbreak

Honestly, the Liverpool narrative is a sketch from an old Monty Python movie.
Any more of this and Klopp will have to whip his players in the town square and issue a public apology for being so unworthy of the English Premier League title.
Only he won't be able to whip his players in the town square as, by the time this season comes to a premature end, all public gatherings will be outlawed and trophy presentations will be conducted by men in hazmat suits.
Seriously, what is Liverpool's crime here? What have they done to deserve what is likely to be the most anti-climactic confirmation of domestic supremacy since President Donald Trump's inauguration?

There will possibly be no crowd for Liverpool's coronation and no trophy parade. No one knows when or how the current season will conclude.
What should've been the euphoric removal of a 30-year monkey threatens to become a petty post-mortem of ifs, buts and maybes, as perspective evaporates just when it's needed most.
Liverpool went out of the Champions League, thanks to a misplaced pass from a reserve goalkeeper and a forward line unable to finish off more of their 34 chances against Atletico Madrid.
That's it. Life goes on, as much as it can in this dispiriting period of uncertainty.
And yet, grumpy hacks are duty-bound to attack Liverpool's goalkeeping frailties, preferring to foam and froth over a dodgy pass, rather than the coronavirus.
If such vessel-bursting indignation was directed towards global leaders dithering over their virus containment policies, rather than Adrian's mistake, then Liverpool might not have to win the title in an empty stadium.
But that's a column for another section of the paper. This one can only focus on the baffling criticism being fired at Klopp's sitting targets.

Just three weeks ago, his critics lamented that Klopp's trailblazers were unbeaten in the EPL and on course to add the FA Cup and the Champions League.
But three weeks ago, much of the developed world wasn't facing a compulsory lockdown and a hysterical shortage of toilet paper. Priorities change, along with our perspectives.
The Reds have still lost only once in the EPL and will miss out on the Champions League final for the first time since 2017. They're hardly a dying horse limping towards the knackers yard.
What they are - what they have been for most of the season - are the purveyors of unbridled joy. In an era of wearying scepticism, they have been glorious beacons of untarnished football.
o whispers of Financial Fair Play irregularities, no sulking World Cup winners, no mutinies on the bench and no crass comments in interviews, just a band of brothers committed to the entertainment business.
We have been entertained, for eight long months. So why so many of us are now criticising and ridiculing such a magnificent side is bewildering.
The Reds haven't stolen our presents on Christmas Eve. They've lost a few matches due to circumstances mostly beyond their control.
The world's best goalkeeper, Alisson, got injured just before Liverpool's most important games of the season. It happens.
Their indomitable captain Jordan Henderson rushed back from injury and gave everything until his lack of match fitness betrayed him. It happens.
The most formidable forward line somehow squandered 32 of 34 goalscoring opportunities. It happens.
Football has always been a slave to the most fickle of fortunes and Klopp, it must be remembered, has the finest first XI but a squad that are still a work in progress. They have already overachieved in many respects.
And yet, there is no joy to be found among the joyless.
They can be currently found wallowing in a cesspool of spite, insisting that Liverpool's domestic success will be somehow hollow and inauthentic in a potentially shortened season.
Nothing about the Reds' swaggering football has been inauthentic.
It would be desperately cruel if their title triumph came with an asterisk of any kind or an anti-climatic trophy handover.
For these reasons alone, they deserve sympathy, not criticism.

A couple of lows cannot negate a campaign of irrepressible highs any more than Covid-19 can diminish the magnitude of Liverpool's accomplishment.
Their football made us smile. A lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom