• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Positives from this season

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member
Let’s not forget all the good stuff that happened this season just because the wheels came off at the end.

1. Quansah unexpectedly emerged as a top-class CB

2. Mac Allister is a baller and a great buy, future leadership material

3. Elliott proved that he belongs, he is a man now

4. Kelleher is good enough to be Premier League quality #1

5. @Bradley is a baller

6. The kids in the Academy and on loan are more than all right. Danns, Carvalho, Morton, Beck, Clark, Koumas, Nyoni, Van der Berg, Jaros all made major strides and Bajcetic and Gordon got over their growth issues.

7. Every player had at least patches of very good form - due to injuries it never fully came together, but at various points we saw the best of everyone: Jones, Endo, Szoboszlai, Gomez, Gravenberch, Jota, Gakpo, Nunez, Diaz - they all shone and even carried the team at one point or another.

8. Van Dijk is back to somewhere near his best

9. Trent is emerging as a leader, despite unsettled position.

10. We have a new structure in place and are back to the data-driven ruthless approach to transfers. Unlike most of the competition, we actually know how to run the club sustainably and are not threatened by the toughening of the rules.

What else?

Last edited:
Gomez made it through a season without dying and proved he’s a decent enough squad addition.

Ali is still very arguably the best keeper in the world.

Endo should be considered a positive and a good squad addition.

1. We are in CL with 3rd almost a certainty
2. Danns is a future #9
3. Bradley is rising star
4. Structure (MCO, Head of Football, SD, Coach & Staff)
5. Darwin despite all the criticisms has 31 GAs
6. Stadium
7. League Cup

Negatives
Team creates but the poor finishing has cost us the title
Défense has been poor almost all season
We are only taking home 1 cup

Let’s not forget all the good stuff that happened this season just because the wheels came off at the end.

1. Quansah unexpectedly emerged as a top-class CB

2. Mac Allister is a baller and a great buy, future leadership material

3. Elliott proved that he belongs, he is a man now

4. Kelleher is good enough to be Premier League quality #1

5. @Bradley is a baller

6. The kids in the Academy and on loan are more than all right. Danns, Carvalho, Morton, Beck, Clark, Koumas, Nyoni, Van der Berg, Jaros all made major strides and Bajcetic and Gordon got over their growth issues.

7. Every player had at least patches of very good form - due to injuries it never fully came together, but at various points we saw the best of everyone: Jones, Endo, Szoboszlai, Gomez, Gravenberch, Jota, Gakpo, Nunez, Diaz - they all shone and even carried the team at one point or another.

8. Van Dijk is back to somewhere near his best

9. Trent is emerging as a leader, despite unsettled position.

10. We have a new structure in place and are back to the data-driven ruthless approach to transfers. Unlike most of the competition, we actually know how to run the club sustainably and are not threatened by the toughening of the rules.

What else?

Are you watching a different Trent to the rest of us, he's been dogshit for most of the season phoning it in as he wafts lazy cross field passes.

Are you watching a different Trent to the rest of us, he's been dogshit for most of the season phoning it in as he wafts lazy cross field passes.

Most of the season is a massive exaggeration! He’s had some very good games for us this season but he’s been poor too.

Yeah I've seen nothing from Trent (or van dijk or Salah tbf) to make me think he's a leader. Least, not in the traditional sense of the word. Probably more in the Gerrard use of leader, of "I'm dead good, guess I'll fix the problem", and dragging team mates along rather than helping them improve.

Reactions: jan
Other positives:-

1. Our powers of recovery has been remarkable this season. We don’t want to be using them as often next season but we know this set of players can dig deep

2. The number of clear cut chances we created. This team is a chance creating machine

Yeah I've seen nothing from Trent (or van dijk or Salah tbf) to make me think he's a leader. Least, not in the traditional sense of the word. Probably more in the Gerrard use of leader, of "I'm dead good, guess I'll fix the problem", and dragging team mates along rather than helping them improve.

Yeah, agree with that.

I think it’s hard to be a leader when you’re not right yourself though.

VVD struggled last season and probably needed this one to just work on his own game

Trent was learning a new position

Mo struggled with his own form and continued loss of acceleration

1. Won a trophy
2. Playing CL next season
3. The stadium is finally all but finished
4. Only 3 more games until we see the backs of Adrian Thiago and Mo
5. Quansah and Bradley

Hmm I think VvD is definitely a leader (organising the defence) however he's too far back to influence where it's often needed (refereeing decisions). It should be a midfielder and must be someone almost guaranteed to start ... so Macca it is.

Even the positive thread manages to bring in the moaning, whinging, negative comments. Really fucking fed up of this place, at the moment
Well I'm not gonna make a new thread just to make one post about it!

Actual positives:

Macca is top tier.
Szob and gravy have the skillset to be huge successes, but it'll take time as they're both so young, and tbh were probably sold a dodgy bill of goods as klopps leaving not long after they've arrived.
We have a strong variety of players up top, each excelling in a particular area. It could work nicely for slot.
A lot of highly promising youth products managed to make an impact this year, so that will help our depth going forward. Well. Depth or our bank balance. Either/or
Our loan players have done well by all accounts
On a transitional year we excelled at times and showed fantastic mentality. If we can cultivate and develop that then we could be a force over the next few years

Terrific season for a transitional team, they did so well, we got our hopes so high. Just don't have that mentality piece just yet

Reactions: mom
So Arsenal came 2nd last year, and basically spent 200M (Havertz, Rice, Timber) to buy exactly what they needed to strengthen again?

I wonder if we'll do the same...

Terrific season for a transitional team, they did so well, we got our hopes so high. Just don't have that mentality piece just yet
Don't think this season has anything to do with mentality - its about missed chances up front, and not taking our chances. That's not mentality - that's just bad form/poor finishing/fucking it up. This team was trained better to a level where it should have won a title - there is no question about it. All our failures are to do 70% of it anyway with bad finishing.

Even the positive thread manages to bring in the moaning, whinging, negative comments. Really fucking fed up of this place, at the moment
I think we’re much farther down the road than we all expected to be when the season opened. Yes, what might have been and all that … but that’s just because some players aren’t up to it any longer (no need for pitchforks, though), we’ve had injuries etc.

Personally, I believe Klopp far too quickly ditched using the youngsters who’d helped us be 5 points at top of league not so long ago. But I don’t know what else he’s been seeing in training.

As someone posted up thread, we’ve got good youngsters coming through and they need to be trusted.

positives:

macallister
bradley
quansah

all look like players we can build around for several years, not sure i see anything else

We punched well above our weight for large parts of the season with so many injuries to players plus Salah absent with afcon.

The biggest positive is the young players handling that pressure.

Disagree with

8. VVD
9. Trent

VVD is not back to his best. He was better than last season but we will not see his best anymore. Even with a dedicated DM in Endo we struggled often defensively.

Trent, I won't be against selling him if a big money offer comes along. Same for Mo. The constant sulking is stinking up the club imo. They seemed to think they are bigger than the club.

Winning a trophy clearly.

Three new signings being a success.
3?

Endo, macca...?

I can't call szob a success yet as he started well, but got injured and then looks a ghost of himself.
Gravy: Just no

Who else?

Edit: it's Ange isn't it?

Back
Top Bottom