• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Porto Away - CL Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a brilliant record. Absolutely amazing.
I wish the corollary to that wasn't 0/2 in European finals. Hoping this will be the year to break that trend.

We just need to make it 10/10 to make it happen; I think we will beat either of our possible opponents in the final. Barcelona with Messi and Suarez is the final boss level of the video game, after we came through 9 levels perfectly.

europesemi.jpg

Last edited:

That's great but I bet Rafa's list is still more impressive. We beat some legendary teams in the CL back then.
Juventus with Zlatan, Cannavaro, Nedved, Del Piero
Chelsea with you know who
Milan...

Barca with Messi, Ronaldinho etc
Real Madrid

Last edited:
I couldn't focus on our game too much as the City-Spurs on the other screen was just too engrossing, but having rewatched the extended highlights it's noticeable that Porto played so differently from the way PL teams set up against us. In defense, they let us counter-attack with more space and time that any PL team in probably over one and a half seasons. In attack, they also threw more numbers forward than we usually see against us. I often talk about the league "adjusting" to the leading teams – so we've been playing against some variation of collective "anti-Liverpool" tactic for many months and here Porto were just playing their game and it was kind of awkward for us to adjust to when we had to defend, but also gave our attackers much more joy, similar to our CL run-in last year.

My point is that CL is such a different competition – even teams from the same league like City and Spurs played a totally different game than they would have if it was in the PL. This could work to our advantage as Barca and, say, Ajax in the final if we get there, will make the sort of mistakes and almost naive tactical decisions that PL teams who watch us every week never give us the luxury of. At the same time, our defense will be tested by unfamiliar attacking patterns; they surely don't get to face Messi every week, much less Messi+Suarez and Coutinho/Dembele etc.

That's great but I bet Rafa's list is still more impressive. We beat some legendary teams in CL back then.
Juventus with Zlatan, Cannavaro, Nedved, Del Piero
Chelsea with you know who
Milan...

Barca with Messi, Ronaldinho etc
Real Madrid

The point was he hasn't lost any knockout games whilst facing the impressive list above, no need to bring Rafa into this.

I couldn't focus on our game too much as the City-Spurs on the other screen was just too engrossing, but having rewatched the extended highlights it's noticeable that Porto played so differently from the way PL teams set up against us. In defense, they let us counter-attack with more space and time that any PL team in probably over one and a half seasons. In attack, they also threw more numbers forward than we usually see against us. I often talk about the league "adjusting" to the leading teams – so we've been playing against some variation of collective "anti-Liverpool" tactic for many months and here Porto were just playing their game and it was kind of awkward for us to adjust to when we had to defend, but also gave our attackers much more joy, similar to our CL run-in last year.

My point is that CL is such a different competition – even teams from the same league like City and Spurs played a totally different game than they would have if it was in the PL. This could work to our advantage as Barca and, say, Ajax in the final if we get there, will make the sort of mistakes and almost naive tactical decisions that PL teams who watch us every week never give us the luxury of. At the same time, our defense will be tested by unfamiliar attacking patterns; they surely don't get to face Messi every week, much less Messi+Suarez and Coutinho/Dembele etc.

I’m surprised you are only realising this now.

It’s the exact reason I backed up to win the CL in May 2017 for 2018 and why I backed us again this season.

The CL is geared towards attacking football where teams emphasize attack over defence (at least in the knock out stage when the rubbish is knocked out)

Essentially the CL is perfect for Klopp’s style of football so I would have back his sides to go deep.

We are gonna tear Barca apart on the counter like Roma did.

That means we play Huddersfield Friday night, Barcelona Wednesday, the Newcastle tie will be brought back to Saturday then Barcelona again on Tuesday.

It’s the exact reason I backed up to win the CL in May 2017 for 2018 and why I backed us again this season.

The CL is geared towards attacking football where teams emphasize attack over defence (at least in the knock out stage when the rubbish is knocked out)

Essentially the CL is perfect for Klopp’s style of football so I would have back his sides to go deep.

Traditionally, it's been the opposite – you had to play more cautiously in the CL, hence United under Fergusson typically playing 4-5-1 in CL and 4-4-2 in domestic competitions, our 0:0 draws with Chelsea, etc. But now PL has become much more tactical, even bottom of the table managers are following the trends, so the normally ultra-cautious and tactical competition like CL seems like a breath of fresh air, where players can actually express themselves.

Oh fuck off, cash out.

Fuck me, I'm going to see Bill Burr perform during the first Barca game. Might be able to catch the 2nd half.

Traditionally, it's been the opposite – you had to play more cautiously in the CL, hence United under Fergusson typically playing 4-5-1 in CL and 4-4-2 in domestic competitions, our 0:0 draws with Chelsea, etc. But now PL has become much more tactical, even bottom of the table managers are following the trends, so the normally ultra-cautious and tactical competition like CL seems like a breath of fresh air, where players can actually express themselves.

Not in the last 10 years and there is a reason Ferguson generally did shite in the CL considering their dominance domestically.

How do you not get this yet?

In any case, don't be acting all sanctimonious and "I told you so" about our chances in the CL when you bloody cashed out!

How do you not get this yet?

In any case, don't be acting all sanctimonious and "I told you so" about our chances in the CL when you bloody cashed out!

Just because I’m not willing to put 6k on a football match doesn’t mean I’m not confident. I backed us long before anyone else believed and barring Salah’s injury we would have won last year.

Annoying that we didn't get the 30th April/8th May date. Especially as Barca will be fully rested for each tie.

That Newcastle game, sandwiched between 2 draining Barca ties will be tough.

The good thing though is, it's not someone like Arsenal/Spurs/Chelsea, who like to keep the ball, so we our legs won't be run off us for the 2nd leg.

Gonna be a nervy 1-0 sort of game where we have all the ball and have to watch out counter attacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom