• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poll New Manager speculation

Prefix for Poll Threads

Who'll will be the new manager?

• Xabi

Votes: 63 87.5%
  • Harry Potter

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Some old dude like Ancelloti

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A cool dude in a suit

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Gerrard

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Milner

• De Zerbi

• Unai Emery

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Zinedine Zidane

• Ange Postawotever (for Dreamie)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 3180

If experience is a key factor, then perhaps Simone Inzaghi should be included in the discussion? His current contract is up in 2025.

(incl. 6 yrs' coaching Lazio's Allievi and Primavera sides)
View attachment 3178

View attachment 3179

2018: Simone Inzaghi and his trust in youth | The Laziali

2021: Simone Inzaghi’s Trust In Youth Could Benefit Some Inter Youngsters, Italian Media Report

2022: Inter Youth Director Roberto Samaden: “Simone Inzaghi Pays Attention To The Youngsters”

2020: Immobile compares Inzaghi to Klopp as Lazio star reveals Napoli dream

View attachment 3181
View attachment 3182

Aye I mentioned him earlier in the thread. Winner with a big club and experienced in Europe.
A couple of years of him as we wait to see if Xabi is the one?

Has anyone mentioned Miguel at Girona yet? He's doing some great thing there and while they'll surely regress to the mean at some point, got to think he's going to get poached for another job.
Being part of the City group, he'd probably be a kings ransom to release

Maybe it's time we see what someone like Lionel Scaloni can do at club management.

Ticked off the Copa America and World Cup, has managed the best player of this or any other generation. What's left for him there?

Shared my view abt Amorim earlier in the thread. I think it would be rather harsh to just dismiss him due to the standard of the domestic league he manages in.

Besides Xabi, Amorim is the other name on my preferred list. He ticks a lot of boxes. (He would "know" Nunez and Diaz well too.)

Started following Amorim since 2022.

Guided Sporting to 1st league title in 19 yrs inc. record 32-match unbeaten streak + some Portuguese League Cups while competing with financially stronger Benfica and Porto.

Developed/bringing the best out of players: Palhinha (rejoined after being on loan at Braga for 2 seasons), Nunes (signed for €500k & sold for €45m), Goncalves (23 goals in 32 league apps in his first season at the club, which happened to be the one they won their 1st title in 19 years), Porro (initially a loan move from Man City, signed for €8.5m & sold for €45m), Ugarte (signed for €6.5m & sold for €60m)

(notable) Debuts for: Mendes (sold for €38m), Inacio, Chermiti (sold for €12.5m after 22 1st team appearances)

‘He will be an unavoidable name in European football’ – Ruben Amorim, Europe’s next supercoach?

In his 1st managerial job at Braga at the age of 34, he "won 10 out of 13 games after replacing Sá Pinto at the Quarry at the turn of the year, including beating Porto twice, Sporting twice and Benfica once, and won the Taça da Liga (Portuguese League Cup)".

He was Sporting's 4th manager in a season when he joined them in Mar 2020 and won the title in his 1st full season in charge - their 1st in 19 years. Breaking the Benfica-Porto monopoly was no mean feat, esp. since financially Sporting are much weaker than those 2 sides. Before this season's record signing of Gyokeres (€24m), his most expensive signing was Paulinho (€16m) back in 2021

Rúben Amorim and the Sporting Resurgence

titles.jpg

Point diff of Sporting CP vs. 1st placed team
23/24: 1st, +1 lead after 19 matches
22/23: -13
21/22: -6
20/21: 1st, +5 lead
19/20: -22 (took over in Mar 2020)
18/19: -13
17/18: -10
16/17: -12

He managed to achieve decent results in European competition against some bigger clubs too:

21/22
0-0 vs. Man City
3-1 vs. Dortmund

22/23
1-2 aggregate defeat to Juventus
3-3 aggregate score, knocking out Arsenal on penalties last season
2-0 (H), 1-1 (A) vs. Tottenham

Look - screw it guys going to repeat what I said in the other thread in case you did not get me, lets try and get Man City's manager - offer him 5M more in wages and see what happens ? - can they afford to pay him more with all the charges against them ? - lets try it out - what do you think ?

Legendary Italian coach Arrigo Sacchi feels Roberto De Zerbi would be an ideal choice for Barcelona or Liverpool but is upset that no top Serie A club will try to get him.

De Zerbi has emerged as a potential replacement for Jurgen Klopp at Liverpool and Xavi at Barcelona given that both coaches will leave their clubs at the end of the season.

He is under contract at Brighton until June 2026 but has a €13m clause included in his deal with the Premier League side. Sacchi, a former Italy and Milan coach, has explained why the Italian tactician would be ideal for either Liverpool or Barça.

“I am glad to see De Zerbi linked to top European clubs such as Barcelona and Liverpool,” Sacchi wrote in an article published by La Gazzetta dello Sport on Wednesday.

“I consider him the most exciting coach of the last generation, so I feel he is ready to sit on an important bench. Actually, I am sorry that no Italian club, based on transfer rumours, will try to get him. The same happened a few years ago when he first went to Ukraine and then England. Now, it would be a shame not even to try to get him, even if it would not be easy to battle Barcelona and Liverpool.

“De Zerbi is one of those coaches who make players improve,”
Sacchi continued.

“I’ve known him for many years. One day, he called me to ask if we could meet to talk about football. He was the Foggia boss at that time and I was impressed. His Foggia side looked like a Spanish team. Ball possession, high pressing, domination of the pitch. I was a friend of the Squinzi family and the director Giovanni Carnevali, so I called them to say: ‘This is the right coach for you.’ They didn’t reach an agreement straight away. It took over a year to shake hands, but in the end, it was beneficial for both the club and De Zerbi.”

RDZ spent three seasons at Sassuolo, winning 43 of his 120 games in charge of the Neroverdi. He left the Mapei Stadium in 2021 to join Shakhtar Donetsk in Ukraine, but he only remained there for a few months until the Russian invasion.

De Zerbi officially left Shakhtar in the summer of 2022 and was appointed by Brighton the following September, but Sacchi feels the 44-year-old should have been given another chance in Serie A.

“De Zerbi is a guy with a precise concept. He wants to innovate, go beyond the present and he wants to find different solutions for the future,” he said.

“I ask myself: why is such a young coach forced to emigrate to reach great targets? The reply, to me, is that Italy is an old country in footballing terms, and whoever brings new ideas is always seen negatively.”

SCM Votes are in for the new Manager. The top 3 fans candidates are

1. Alonso
2. Harry Potter
3. Unai Emery
Yep I'd go along with that three. Though I think #2 could easily work his magic behind the scenes with the coaching staff.

Someone who hasn't been spoken about is Beisla, I've always liked him. His stint with Leeds made me like him even more. He built a tight relationship with the Leeds fans and the City and he has that confident and maverick personality. His football is in a similar vien to Klopps attacking philosophy. His Leeds team were very impressive but he didnt have the quality defensive players to make the overall stratgy work. The only downside would be his age and lack of English.

Here's a thought many of you already may have had...

Our team is really well drilled in a high press, and a particular way of play
Who would most likely continue that? Xabi? Would he adapt his press since he has so many better players?
Should we simply be looking for someone to continue this style?

So who stylistically can best build on how well drilled we are? Surely we don't want a manager to change this?

Here's a thought many of you already may have had...

Our team is really well drilled in a high press, and a particular way of play
Who would most likely continue that? Xabi? Would he adapt his press since he has so many better players?
Should we simply be looking for someone to continue this style?

So who stylistically can best build on how well drilled we are? Surely we don't want a manager to change this?
I don't think we have one style of play or drilled into a system, what we have is a high press but variant way of playing, we play the tiki-taka when it is deemed necessarily, we play controllled when it is necessary, and we play long when the option is on. We are not fixed or obsessed with retaining the ball every situation in the game is looked at as a specific "moment" and how we can take maximum advantage from that "moment" - whether through counter-pressing or getting the team back into a defensive shape. It's very much like the squad depth we have - it's about .. plug and play guys !!!

Look - screw it guys going to repeat what I said in the other thread in case you did not get me, lets try and get Man City's manager - offer him 5M more in wages and see what happens ? - can they afford to pay him more with all the charges against them ? - lets try it out - what do you think ?

He’ll just get offered a consultancy job paying gazillions, that requires 15 minutes of his time per year with a company not connected directly to football - like a chewing gum tech development company, but surprisingly with a Head Office based in Abu Dhabi.

Someone who hasn't been spoken about is Beisla, I've always liked him. His stint with Leeds made me like him even more. He built a tight relationship with the Leeds fans and the City and he has that confident and maverick personality. His football is in a similar vien to Klopps attacking philosophy. His Leeds team were very impressive but he didnt have the quality defensive players to make the overall stratgy work. The only downside would be his age and lack of English.

And the fact his team was shite and wouldn’t run the length of itself.

He’ll just get offered a consultancy job paying gazillions, that requires 15 minutes of his time per year with a company not connected directly to football - like a chewing gum tech development company, but surprisingly with a Head Office based in Abu Dhabi.
yeah - but he might do the right thing and just accept the job we offer him regardless of the pay.

Not what you'd be looking for from a potential Liverpool manager and maybe an indicator that he's on a Potter-like course, a one season wonder :

Roberto De Zerbi's side have won just three of their last 16 Premier League games, scoring just 20 goals in that period. Only Everton, Crystal Palace and Sheffield United have scored fewer in the same timeframe. That's now beginning to become a healthy sample size - and it's backed up by a drastic decline of their attacking metrics under De Zerbi.

Since beating Bournemouth in September, Brighton's goals, expected goals, shots and big chances created per 90 have plummeted compared to where they were towards the back end of last season.

We go all out for Xabi. Ruben Amorim as the back up. The rest can get fucked.

Xabi took a struggling bottom half close to relegation Leverkusen and turned them into a title candidate in 18 months. All while playing sexy football, developing players and being a great guy in the Klopp mold.
He's the one. Not matter the limited experience.

FSG hire ‘world’s greatest leader’ to search for next Liverpool manager​

With Fenway Sports Group facing a big job in replacing Jurgen Klopp as Liverpool manager, the owners have brought in a world-leading American sports executive.
Klopp’s decision to leave Anfield at the end of the season was announced last week, having informed the club’s owners months previous.

The German did so on a call with FSG president Mike Gordon in November, with the owners pulling out all the stops in an attempt to convince to stay, but finding themselves unable to.
That leaves FSG needing to appoint a successor ahead of the new campaign, which is made more difficult in the absence of a sporting director.
Gordon himself is expected to lead the search, aided by head of research William Spearman, with Xabi Alonso, Roberto De Zerbi, Ruben Amorim, Thomas Frank, Ange Postecoglou and Julian Nagelsmann considered early candidates.
The process will now be overseen by Theo Epstein, the former president of baseball operations for baseball team the Chicago Cubs, as he joins FSG.
Any want to explain to me why anyone would think Thomas Frank is on the list? Yeah, he has done well for the resources he has had at his disposal, but is fighting for survival at his current club

Any want to explain to me why anyone would think Thomas Frank is on the list? Yeah, he has done well for the resources he has had at his disposal, but is fighting for survival at his current club

Same reason why every other name is on the list - lazy journalism and made up.

It's going to be almost impossible to follow Klopp, nobody can actually replace him. There's a few reasons I think it pretty much has to be Xabi now.
1. He's a fan pick, that gives him lots of space to fail more than many other picks would be. Of coursed results will ultimately matter, but we definitely don't want a Hodgson situation where there's calls for him out before they start.
2. The current squad is in a pretty good spot, there's relatively young talent all over the pitch, there isn't a major rebuild needed, which puts a major part of the role to the side for a while. Given the roles in England have a wider remit than he's used to, he'll need that time. This isn't what Ferguson or Kenny left behind.
3. He's relatively inexperienced and still learning, you could get away with doing very little for a year or two with the current team and end up with a decent season or two. The expectations will be lower and that will afford him some time
4. He's played in some of the best teams and with some of the best players and seems to be well liked and respected. He's taken a Real Sociedad/Madrid coach to Bayer, so likely to be building a network of people to work with.
5. Footballing style. He played 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1 with Sociedad before his 3-4-3 now and is known for a attractive style playing and coaching, which affords you more time. You'll never get an exact replacement in terms of style for Klopp, but someone with fresher ideas, who is shown to be able to adaptable will be needed. This tends to limit you to younger managers.
6. There isn't another obvious pick. Anyone else is unlikely to get the same amount of leeway and support.

There's obvious big risks with him too, he's relatively unproven, he probably wouldn't be as obvious a choice for any other club ( maybe suggesting he's not actually the best choice? ), and its a massive, high pressure job to fill. It's very likely that whoever takes it will fail relative to Klopp, so getting someone that isn't expected to hit it running at the same level, may actually help expectations to be better.

It's going to be almost impossible to follow Klopp, nobody can actually replace him. There's a few reasons I think it pretty much has to be Xabi now.
1. He's a fan pick, that gives him lots of space to fail more than many other picks would be. Of coursed results will ultimately matter, but we definitely don't want a Hodgson situation where there's calls for him out before they start.
2. The current squad is in a pretty good spot, there's relatively young talent all over the pitch, there isn't a major rebuild needed, which puts a major part of the role to the side for a while. Given the roles in England have a wider remit than he's used to, he'll need that time. This isn't what Ferguson or Kenny left behind.
3. He's relatively inexperienced and still learning, you could get away with doing very little for a year or two with the current team and end up with a decent season or two. The expectations will be lower and that will afford him some time
4. He's played in some of the best teams and with some of the best players and seems to be well liked and respected. He's taken a Real Sociedad/Madrid coach to Bayer, so likely to be building a network of people to work with.
5. Footballing style. He played 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1 with Sociedad before his 3-4-3 now and is known for a attractive style playing and coaching, which affords you more time. You'll never get an exact replacement in terms of style for Klopp, but someone with fresher ideas, who is shown to be able to adaptable will be needed. This tends to limit you to younger managers.
6. There isn't another obvious pick. Anyone else is unlikely to get the same amount of leeway and support.

There's obvious big risks with him too, he's relatively unproven, he probably wouldn't be as obvious a choice for any other club ( maybe suggesting he's not actually the best choice? ), and its a massive, high pressure job to fill. It's very likely that whoever takes it will fail relative to Klopp, so getting someone that isn't expected to hit it running at the same level, may actually help expectations to be better.

Largely how I see it too. It's a poisoned chalice in some ways, coming in after Klopp. He'll have the goodwill of the supporters from day 1 and will be able to weather any initial dropoff better than many other candidates.

I can't see much patience from supporters for managers named who have no real top level experience like Frank, Hasenhuttl, etc. Even De Zerbi, to a certain extent. A little more time for top managerial prospects like Anorim.

I'm not that convinced we need to worry about finding someone who'll be given a reasonable chance by the fans. I like to think LFC fans are pretty good at that anyway. Hodgson is an outlier because he was a massive twat. Rodgers was given plenty of support and he was hardly some giant of the game. You also don't want it to go the other way and hire someone it's difficult and painful to sack, like Ole or Kenny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom