• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

NBA 2017/18

Kings -> gets Portland's picks (#15 and #20)
Portland -> gets Kings' pick (#10) -- turns into Zach Collins

Portland gets a backup for Nurkic. Not sure this is a good trade, given how deep this draft was supposed to be.

Warriors didn't have a pick in this draft, so they went out and paid Bulls 3.5m for their 2nd round pick @ #38 - Oregon's Jordan Bell. Watched him in a couple of games during the NCAA Tournament. 6'7" forward who'll probably play small ball 4 or 5 for the Dubs. High-energy rebounder and shot-blocker with a rather raw offensive game who scores mainly close to the rim on oops and putbacks (at least from what I saw). Made mistakes late in the Final Four game against UNC when he failed to box out properly on free throws and allowed UNC to win the game, but he played a huge part in the Ducks overcoming Kansas in the Elite Eight (8 blocks!) in the first place.

His Oregon Ducks team mate 6'11" senior centre Chris Boucher went undrafted - he'd blown his ACL in March - and the Warriors moved in to sign him up right after the draft on a two-way contract**. Right now, he looks like Javale McGee (long, plays above the rim, soars like a condor to block) with a 3-point shot. Could do with bulking up, but he's quick and runs the floor well. Not sure how quickly/well he can recover from the ACL blow though.

Warriors could've picked up a couple of steals here for cheap. I guess they're preparing to lose McGee and not re-sign McAdoo, and perhaps trade Looney or keep him on another year but not pick up the team option they have after that.

**Had to google for this - a two-way NBA contract is a G-League contract where the player can spend up to 45 days on an NBA roster. The G-League is the NBA's developmental/minor league team.

Kings -> gets Portland's picks (#15 and #20)
Portland -> gets Kings' pick (#10) -- turns into Zach Collins

Portland gets a backup for Nurkic. Not sure this is a good trade, given how deep this draft was supposed to be.

It looks like a smart move by the Kings ... which must be an oxymoron

zRamma0_d.jpg

Boom, first big name trade -

Chicago gets: Zach Lavine, Kris Dunn, #7 pick
Minnesota gets: Jimmy Butler, #16 pick

Wolves still need help with their 3pt shooting though. Ranked last in the league in 3pt FGM last season, and they've shipped their best 3pt shooter now (Lavine).

That seems like a great deal for Minnesota

2017 NBA Draft full results
  1. 76ers: Markelle Fultz (G) - Washington

2. Lakers: Lonzo Ball (G) - UCLA

3. Celtics: Jayson Tatum (F) - Duke

4. Suns: Josh Jackson (F) - Kansas

5. Kings: DeAaron Fox (G) - Kentucky

6. Magic: Jonathan Isaac (F) - Florida State

7. Bulls: Lauri Markkanen (F) - Arizona

8. Knicks: Frank Ntilikina (G) - France

9. Mavericks: Dennis Smith Jr. (G) - NC State

10. Trail Blazers: Zach Collins (F/C) - Gonzaga

11. Hornets: Malik Monk (G) - Kentucky

12. Pistons: Luke Kennard (G) - Duke

13. Jazz: Donovan Mitchell (G) - Louisville

14. Heat: Bam Adebayo (C) - Kentucky

15. Kings: Justin Jackson (F) - UNC

16. Bulls: Justin Patton (C) - Creighton

17. Bucks: DJ Wilson (F/C) - Michigan

18. Pacers: TJ Leaf (F/C) - UCLA

19. Hawks: John Collins (F) - Wake Forest

20. Kings: Harry Giles (F/C) - Duke

21. Thunder: Terrance Ferguson (F) - Australia

22. Nets: Jarrett Allen (C) - Texas

23. Raptors: OG Anunoby (F) - Indiana

24. Nuggets: Tyler Lydon (F) - Syracuse

25. 76ers: Andzejs Pasecniks (C) - Latvia

26. Trail Blazers: Caleb Swanigan (PF) - Purdue

27. Lakers: Kyle Kuzma (F) - Utah

28. Jazz: Tony Bradley (C) - North Carolina

29. Spurs: Derrick White (G) - Colorado

30. Lakers: Josh Hart (G) - Villanova

31. Pelicans: Frank Jackson (PG) - Duke

32. Suns: Davon Reed (SG) - Miami

33. Magic: Wesley Iwundu (SF) - Kansas State

34. Kings: Frank Mason III (PG) - Kansas

35. Grizzlies: Ivan Rabb (PF) - California

36. 76ers: Jonah Bolden (PF) - Australia

37. Celtics: Semi Ojeleye (SF) - SMU

38. Warriors: Jordan Bell (C) - Oregon

39. Clippers: Jawun Evans (PG) - OSU

40. Hornets: Dwayne Bacon (SF) - FSU

41. Hawks: Tyler Dorsey (SG) - Oregon

42. Lakers: Thomas Bryant (C) - Indiana

43. Rockets: Isaiah Hartenstein (C) - Lithuania

44. Knicks: Damyean Dotson (SG) - Oregon

45. Rockets: Dillon Brooks (SF) - Oregon

46. Bucks: Sterling Brown (SG) - SMU

47. Pacers: Ike Anigbogu (C) - UCLA

48. Clippers: Sindarius Thornwell (SG) - South Carolina

49. Nuggets: Vlatko Cancar (SF) - Slovenia

50. 76ers: Mathias Lessort (PF) - France

51. Nuggets: Monte' Morris (PG) - Iowa State

52. Pacers: Edmond Sumner (PG) - Xavier

53. Celtics: Kadeem Allen (SG) - Arizona

54. Suns: Alec Peters (PF) - Valparaiso

55. Jazz: Nigel Williams-Goss (PG) - Gonzaga

56. Celtics: Jabari Bird (SG) - California

57. Nets: Aleksandar Vezenkov (PF) - Spain

58. Knicks: Ognjen Jaramaz (PG) - Serbia

59. Spurs: Jaron Blossomgame (SF) - Clemson

60. Hawks: Alpha Kaba (PF) - France

2017 NBA Draft full results
Warriors: Jordan Bell (C) - Oregon
Hawks: Tyler Dorsey (SG) - Oregon
Knicks: Damyean Dotson (SG) - Oregon
Rockets: Dillon Brooks (SF) - Oregon

I didn't recall seeing Damyean Dotson being on the Oregon lineup that played in the NCAA Elite Eight and Final Four games that I caught. So I thought either he was out injured, or he'd had a quiet tournament. Googled it, and found that Dotson switch to Houston for his junior and senior year.

Well, switched is a nice way to put it. He was actually dismissed with a couple of others by Oregon after sexual assault allegations:

http://pac-12.com/article/2014/05/0...c-artis-brandon-austin-dismissed-oregon-ducks

Also, just seen that Dillon Brooks won't be at the Rockets. Memphis traded a future 2nd round pick to Orlando for Ivan Rabb (#35) and another to Houston for Brooks.

They had to fire him.

He's a basketball dinosaur who alienated his best players. He actually managed to make it unattractive for players to go to NY.

They had to fire him.

He's a basketball dinosaur who alienated his best players. He actually managed to make it unattractive for players to go to NY.

I just wonder if he had done better as a manager?
How badly does this stain his reputation?

Wow... Chris Paul opts in and goes to Rockets, for Beverley, Dekker, Lou Williams and 2018 1st round pick (protected 1 to 3, not that it'd get there anyway).

Last edited:
Paul elevates their offense to another level, but does that really help them beat either the Spurs or the Warriors?

I'm not even sure it makes them better.

They both are at their best on the ball and they both dominate their teams possessions. Will either be willing to sacrifice ?

Supposedly Paul wanted to play with Harden and worked out this opt-in and trade with the Clippers management, so I suppose he's somewhat motivated to figure things out with Harden.

Well that changes things a bit.

If they're committed to making it work its going to interesting

The Zen Master is gone in NYC, I am convinced he was on a personal experiment to see how long he could last while doing absolutely nothing, falling asleep during player workouts and what not. Lets not forget, the Knicks opted in to the last 2 years of his contract a month ago, so now he will be walking away with an additional $25 million, not too bad for basically walking away after 3 years of at best doing nothing, at worst trying to sabotage your own team. Sadly this will not taint his legacy as a coach though.

As far as CP3 to Houston, it makes no sense to me. Even if Paul wanted to play with the beard, that is half the equation, what about Harden's feelings? He has continued to prove that he is somewhat of a diva. Last year he ran the point, but Paul is a true PG, so Harden will move to the 2 I assume, but both players need and want the ball to be effective. I just can't see how they exist on the court together. I think all this does is give Houston another "superstar" name and that is about it.

Good business for the Clippers though, had they done nothing, he would have left next year leaving them with squat, at least they got something.

The Clippers might still end up with just the deep 2018 1st round pick from Houston, since the player contracts they receive are just a year or a year + a player option. Still, a pick is better than nothing I guess, especially if Paul breaks down again and the Rockets end up slipping with their diminished depth now, allowing the Clippers to pick in the low-20's instead of the 25-30 range.

As for Houston - they've next to no cap space left and have a sound starting five on paper but negligible depth now. Cleveland's big three and a shit bench couldn't beat the Warriors. Houston's chances depend on them finding a taker for Anderson's 20m contract for the next 3 seasons in return for assets, but they'll have trouble finding anyone to take him off them without wanting good picks (which they don't have) or good young assets (i.e. Capela - whom they won't want to part with) in return.

A trade where nobody loses, but nobody really wins either. Perhaps there's another trade down the line that improves the outlook.

Wait... Paul can still sign his super-max extension next year? I thought it was only available to guys who extended with the teams they were drafted or traded to within the first four years of their career. Shows how much little I get the whole CBA thing:

https://theringer.com/chris-paul-houston-rockets-clippers-trade-a66674f197ef

https://www.thescore.com/news/1325795

A trade where nobody loses, but nobody really wins either. Perhaps there's another trade down the line that improves the outlook.

So Chris Paul wins the trade then. :D

So the full trade turns out to be 7 players + pick + cash for Paul:

[article]The Rockets will send Sam Dekker, Patrick Beverley, Lou Williams, DeAndre Liggins, Darrun Hilliard, Montrezl Harrell, Kyle Wiltjer, a top-three protected 2018 first-round pick and $661,000 to the Clippers in exchange for Paul[/article]

I'm not even sure it makes them better.

They both are at their best on the ball and they both dominate their teams possessions. Will either be willing to sacrifice ?
You're forgetting the D'Antoni equation. Two guards who can both pass and score. This is his wet dream. He'll make it work offensively, I'm sure of that.

They'll be crap on defense though.

Though I was reading they'll try their best to trade for George. Does George, Harden, Paul trouble the Warriors?

Though I was reading they'll try their best to trade for George. Does George, Harden, Paul trouble the Warriors?

It depends on what sort of depth they have left after that trade. The mistake would be to just trying matching the Dubs star for star but have a weak bench like the Cavs'. To go after George will probably cost them two of Anderson, Ariza, Gordon and Capela, for salary match and trade sweetener reasons. For example, Anderson's salary matches up with George's, but the Pacers won't take his 20m for the next 3 years in a straight up trade - they can get better trades elsewhere. I think Houston can't trade their own 2019 first round pick now, so if they want to bundle a pick to get George, they'll have to trade asset(s) for a pick to bundle with an asset to the Pacers.

Certainly going to be interesting to see what further moves they pull, if any.

If Carmelo is bought out he must end up with the Rockets.

Surely getting rid of Jackson probably stops that from happening.

You're forgetting the D'Antoni equation. Two guards who can both pass and score. This is his wet dream. He'll make it work offensively, I'm sure of that.

They'll be crap on defense though.

No way, it won't even challenge the Spurs.

Assuming Paul and Harden find a way to play together, the best scenario I can see is more wins in the regular season. Once they get to the playoffs, their lack of defensive prowess and lack of size will kill them.

If they end up playing a team like Utah or Memphis in the first round, good luck.

Last edited:
Rockets signed Darun Hilliard from Detroit for $1m so that they could include him in the trade for Paul.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/n...274001/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

[article]The Detroit Pistons were poised to move on from shooting guard Darrun Hilliard last week.

But with time to spare before Saturday's deadline to guarantee Hilliard's $1.4 million option for next season, the franchise decided to testthe trade market.

The phone rang Wednesday.

The Houston Rockets were looking for nonguaranteed deals to help facilitate the acquisition of star point guard Chris Paul from the Los Angeles Clippers.

After denying $75,000 and $250,000, the Rockets offered $1 million.

Sold.[/article]
Quality bargaining by Daryl Morey there. :D

Back
Top Bottom