• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

NBA 2017/18

I can't see Chris Paul as a Laker.
He'll have to give up a lot of money to move across town.The Clippers with Paul, could be a LeBron destination.

The Clippers are getting interesting again - Ballmer has brought in Jerry West to seemingly oversee everything. I'm guessing there'll be plenty more changes.

But LeBron to LA seems nailed on - Gilbert seems to be doing his best to make it okay for him to leave again. And LeBron's business interests are centred in LA apparently.

How much is Paul giving up by opting out and re-signing? I've read a few different reports and I'm confused.. something like 205m for 5 years if he stays, versus 153m for 4 years if he goes?

Yeah in the region of 50m is what gets reported.

Its apparently a deal which would not have been allowed under the old CBA - i think it was because of an age limit. Chris Paul apparently negotiated the changes to it that now allow him to benefit.

8:40pm: The Lakers engaged the Kings on a potential trade that would have involved the No. 2 pick going to Sacramento in exchange for Nos. 5 and 10, reports TNT’s David Aldridge (Twitterlinks). According to Aldridge, the Lakers’ goal was to package one of those Kings’ picks with one of the Lakers’ late first-rounders and a player in an effort to get George. However, the Kings turned them down.

Meanwhile, Mark Medina of The Los Angeles Daily News (Twitter links) hears that the Lakers and Pacers are currently at a “standstill” in their talks, though it remains “highly likely” that Indiana will move George this week.

6:11pm: In the wake of their trade agreementwith the Nets, the Lakers have offered the Pacers either Jordan Clarkson or Julius Randle along with the No. 27 and No. 28 picks in exchange for George, according to Brad Turner of The Los Angeles Times (via Twitter). ESPN’s Marc Stein also reported the details of that package (via Twitter).

1:56pm: The Lakers and Pacers have engaged on trade talks for Paul George, according to ESPN’s Marc Stein and Ramona Shelburne. No deal is imminent at this point.

Los Angeles is considered George’s likely destination in 2018, raising questions about how aggressive the Lakers would be on the trade market for him. If the Lakers expect George to sign with them as a free agent a year from now, there would be little reason for the club to pursue him now and give up key assets to land him. However, it appears the Lakers are at least kicking the tires on what it would take to acquire George and get him in the fold sooner rather than later.

Just seen clips on Josh Jackson... what's up with these kids and their weird shooting mechanics? It's not as ugly as Lonzo Ball's, but it's still not good technique; that ball's getting stripped in the NBA before he can bring it up to shoot it. Really explosive slasher and finisher though, and he can really leap out of the gym.

Just seen clips on Josh Jackson... what's up with these kids and their weird shooting mechanics? It's not as ugly as Lonzo Ball's, but it's still not good technique; that ball's getting stripped in the NBA before he can bring it up to shoot it. Really explosive slasher and finisher though, and he can really leap out of the gym.
His shooting form is horrible, though his actual % isn't so bad. Having said that, he's a 55% free throw shooter, which is abysmal for a wing.

The rest of his game looks super though. But the shooting will remain a constant handicap, and I don't think he'll ever turn into a great 2 way player for that reason.

And now Woj says the Knicks are willing to trade Porzingis for a top 3 pick.

So maybe Boston get Porzingis ?

• According to Wojnarowski, the Knickswould be seeking a top-four draft pick and a starting guard in exchange for Porzingis. Marc Berman of The New York Post (Twitter link) reports something similar, having heard that New York would want a top-four pick plus a “strong” asset for Porzingis.

I don't know if KP will ever be an 'upper echelon' star - but he's going to be a very very good player for another 10-15 years.
I wish the Mavs could get him ...

If it takes Avery Bradley plus No.3 the Celtics have to do it.
They could probably throw in another player too if necessary.

Teams can't low ball Knicks just because of the apparent fallout though; Porzingis still has 2 years to run on his rookie scale contract, and a third year qualifying offer, so like it or not, he's bound to the Knicks for 3 years on a great contract for the club. Surely, that gives Knicks the leverage to extract more high picks or good, young assets in return. Someone desperate enough will probably pay it.

Except Jackson has already told everyone he thinks its best to move Porzingis

No idea.

Derrick Rose missed a game last season - without letting anyone know what was going on. Didn't seem to matter

Is the draft tonight ?

There's bound to be more movements in and around the draft.

Would it be sad if i stayed up late to watch it ?

Yes to both questions ?

I think i'll be awake anyway so i'm going to find a way to watch it

Yes to both questions ?

I think i'll be awake anyway so i'm going to find a way to watch it

NOt sure for part 1, defo for part 2 ...

after further research:

The 2017 NBA draft will be held on June 22, 2017, at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. It will be televised nationally in the U.S. by ESPN.

Meanwhile, Nick Young opts for free agency, and Pelicans trade Tim Frazier to the Wizards for the 52nd pick. I think Wizards made a good trade here; they get another PG who likes to drive to the basket. Not sure he's much of a playmaker, but he's pretty good finishing around the rim from what I've seen of him.

Rumour that Spurs are shopping Aldridge for a top 10 pick. A guaranteed year left on his contract with a player option year (21~22m per).

MENU TEAMS

Spurs Exploring LaMarcus Aldridge Trade Market?
June 22nd, 2017 at 9:21am CST • By Luke Adams
JUNE 22, 9:21am: The Spurs have spoken to at least three teams about dealing Aldridge for a Top 10 pick in tonight’s draft, ESPN’s Ramona Shelburne and Michael C. Wright report.

JUNE 21, 7:29pm: The Spurs appear to be exploring a number of options for possible roster moves as the offseason gets underway. In the wake of a report on the team’s willingness to entertain a Danny Green trade, multiple outlets are suggesting that San Antonio is gauging the market on LaMarcus Aldridge as well.

According to John Gambadoro of Arizona Sports 98.7 (Twitter link), the Spurs offered up Aldridge in an effort to move into the top five of the draft. While Gambadoro doesn’t specify which team the Spurs talked to, he’s plugged in when it comes to the Suns, so if Gambadoro’s report is accurate, it’s probably safe to assume San Antonio asked Phoenix about its No. 4 pick.

Would Horford get anywhere close to the same return if Boston were to trade him ?

Would Horford get anywhere close to the same return if Boston were to trade him ?

Both are quite close I'd think, with Horford being the better passer and having more range, while Aldridge being the slightly better scorer and rebounder. I think their value would be close, but Aldridge earns 7m per year less than Horford, and has a 1+1 contract compared to Horford's 2+1 (+1 being the player option). I suppose it'd depend on the plans and financial situation of the teams trading for them.

More importantly though, both guys are declining, and both sucked in the respective conference finals. I'm not sure any of the teams with the top 5 picks would want to give up the pick for Aldridge (or Horford for that matter). Boston already has Horford, while the other 4 teams aren't ready to contend or make a deep playoff run, so there's not much point in acquiring him. Spurs might need to get a third team into the picture to get the top 5 pick they want.

Is the draft tonight ?

There's bound to be more movements in and around the draft.

Would it be sad if i stayed up late to watch it ?
I'm going to be watching it. I love it. Even though I generally end up being disappointed.

I don't actually have a team yet, so i'm not invested.

Still i can't wait, just have to find a stream

Boom, first big name trade -

Chicago gets: Zach Lavine, Kris Dunn, #7 pick
Minnesota gets: Jimmy Butler, #16 pick

Wolves still need help with their 3pt shooting though. Ranked last in the league in 3pt FGM last season, and they've shipped their best 3pt shooter now (Lavine).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom