• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

NBA 2016/17

I don't know how i feel on Cousins - Davis. Davis is a superstar and Cousins is undoubtedly one of the best centres in the league but ... Cousins is a high usage type who might negatively impact Davis' scoring.

I don't watch enough of either to have any feel for it.

And with the league being all about pace, space and the 3 .... i know sometimes it pays to do the opposite to what other teams are doing (the Mavs have always done it) but I wonder if the rules are such in the NBA that you just have to space the floor and look for 3's.

On the front office bit:

But the fault is on Kings ownership. Vivek Ranadivé believes Buddy Hield has Stephen Curry–level potential, a source explained; they view him as the equivalent of a top-five pick with superstar upside — a franchise-altering piece. “People don’t realize that teams get fixated on certain players and do deals specifically to get those players,” said a league executive. Trades require ownership approval, and in Ranadivé’s eyes, Hield was by far the best available asset being offered.

That's stunning.

As is:
According to an Eastern Conference source, Divac also called the Celtics, but asked for far too much in return and refused to negotiate. There’s also belief that the Nuggets were willing to include anyone but Nikola Jokic and perhaps Jamal Murray in a trade for Cousins. Per a separate source, the Suns were offering a package of players and multiple first-round draft picks (including one or both of their upcoming Miami picks), but the Kings declined. “We would have traded for him at the right price,” Suns general manager Ryan McDonough admitted to Arizona Sports 98.7. “We didn’t want to break up our young core to get him.”

If this doesn’t make sense to you, don’t worry; it doesn’t make sense to anyone. It was not the most orderly or rational process by the Kings. “Vlade needed a huge haul to get Vivek to sign off [on a different deal],” said the Eastern Conference source. “They needed a home run deal to get past Vivek.

Cousins and Davis are both capable passers though, and are also capable of hitting the three.

If they figure out a way to share the ball, they could be a terrific inside-outside combination.

Jrue Holiday is also having a good season.

Pelicans also have another asset in Terence Ross to trade.

I dont follow the NBA until the playoffs. Too many games. But curious to know what is you all's opinion on the Celtics. I used to follow college b'ball when I lived in WV. So I am interested in knowing how Brad Steven's approach translates to the NBA.

I have been reading some generally positive articles about their future prospects. Do you all think he can win them the ring in 2 to 3 years time?

I haven't seen them much this year, but it's pretty amazing that Isaiah Thomas is having an MVP type season.

I never thought he'd be more than a Jamal Crawford type 6th man guy, and my suspicion is that this year is a one-off from him.

Can't really see a Horford-Thomas core do much damage to either the Cavs or the Warriors, who should dominate the league for at least another 2-3 years.

Of course, Danny Ainge is trying hard to swing a trade for Jimmy Butler. That may make things more interesting, but I still can't see them beating the Warriors.

Realistically, the next team to challenge the Cavs and Warriors should be the Pelicans if they can put together the right complementary pieces around Cousins and Davis.

I think the Nuggets and Wolves have big potential to be contenders in a few years too.

Jokic and Towns are both studs.

Washington could be contenders too if they acquired a top drawer front court player.

The Celtics window will be short - Thomas, Horford (and Butler) are all in their late 20s, so they'd have to win now. I just don't see that with the crazy talent that the Warriors have.

Deron Williams waived by the Mavs looking to join the Cavs.
The Cavs are also in talks with Larry Sanders.
Derrick Williams, who has been great, signed another 10 day contract.
Korver looks like revelation, he's averaging over 50% from the 3 point line since he joined.

So if they get both Deron and Sanders, will it be enough to beat the Warriors?

My take is that the Warriors still have a better starting 5 than the Cavs. But the Cavs will probably have a better bench.

Starting 5's:

LeBron
Love
Irving
Thompson
Smith

Vs

Curry
Thompson
Green
Durant
Pachulia

That was an under the radar move by the Mavs. Okafor was clearly available all along - didn't see the Sixers letting Noel go.

Centres like Noel who protect the rim are building blocks for a good team IMO. So it could be a great move for the Mavs in the long term.

DeMarcus Cousins Talks Vlade, Ranadive, Pelicans
February 24th, 2017 at 11:02am CST • By Luke Adams
During his introductory press conference as a Pelican on Wednesday, DeMarcus Cousins told reporters that the toughest part about the way he was traded by the Kings was Sacramento’s “dishonesty.” As has been widely reported, the Kings publicly and privately insisted Cousins wouldn’t be traded in the weeks and months leading up to the moment that they agreed to send him to the Pelicans.

In an interview with Marc J. Spears of The Undefeated, Cousins went a step further, suggesting that he views Kings GM Vlade Divacand owner Vivek Ranadive “cowards,” according to Spears. Here are a few of the highlights from Cousins’ candid conversation on the deal and his move from Sacramento to New Orleans:

On whether he wants to talk to Divac or Ranadive:

“Nah. For what? It was a coward move, so I’m pretty sure I will get a coward response. For what? And I’ve seen this happen before. I’ve been there through all same types … I was there with [coach]Mike Malone’s [firing]. I’ve seen how they operate. I know what kind of answer I will get anyway. So, what is the point?”

On when the Kings last told him that he wouldn’t be traded:

“A week before the trade. The sick part about it is that Vlade came in my house with my agent [Jarinn Akana]. We sat in my theater and just talked. That was maybe three weeks ago. We sat there and [he] told me what moves he wanted to make. All of that. I just didn’t understand. … I got a text from the owner right before I went to All-Star. He was asking me about a player, how I felt about him and making a move. The owner! When it happened, I was just in shock. I didn’t understand.”

Poor LTW, Mavs are in rebuild mode. You should be happy about your new PG though.

WHy poor? We should have won 2 championships during the Dirka Dirka years - but I was ecstatic with 1 ...
Rebuilding is part of any sports team (or franchise! :) ) ... I think we have some really good pieces already with Barnes and now Noel ... Get 1-2 good FAs, and draft well, and we may be back in 2 years (as a playoff contender)

WHy poor? We should have won 2 championships during the Dirka Dirka years - but I was ecstatic with 1 ...
Rebuilding is part of any sports team (or franchise! :) ) ... I think we have some really good pieces already with Barnes and now Noel ... Get 1-2 good FAs, and draft well, and we may be back in 2 years (as a playoff contender)
1-2 years? That's pretty optimistic to say the least. With Dirk on his way out your best hope is that you can sign a top player on a max contract, but who?
At the moment the teams to be in are either golden state or Cleveland or those chasing them. spurs, Celtics, Washington, Toronto possibly even Memphis or Houston.

Also, you were lucky to win one, don't push it. If LeBron had been at his best you would have been swept.

1-2 years? That's pretty optimistic to say the least. With Dirk on his way out your best hope is that you can sign a top player on a max contract, but who?
At the moment the teams to be in are either golden state or Cleveland or those chasing them. spurs, Celtics, Washington, Toronto possibly even Memphis or Houston.

Also, you were lucky to win one, don't push it. If LeBron had been at his best you would have been swept.

Barnes has been excellent this year.
Seth Curry seems like he's growing every single week (career high last night).
Yogi seems like a decent PG in the Barrea mold.
If Noel pans out, that's a top center to protect the rim ...
I'm confident ... we do have one of the best coaches around ... so in 1-2 years, we'll be going again.

So who's your pick for the finals now that Durant got hurt?

If he's back during the first round of the playoffs (as predicted) then its still the Warriors. They can get through the first round without breaking sweat while easing him back to form.

Bogut hasn't been good this year, but if he has an end of season upturn then he might swing things the way of the Cavs. LeBron is playing huge minutes this season, his 15th season. He's a complete freak and possibly the best prepared athlete in any sport but the risk of him breaking down must be very real.

I think the Spurs are too old, but Pop knows how to get them into contention. I'd like to see them do it.

I can't see how it isn't Cavs v Warriors.

I agree for the most part. The logical picks are still Cavs vs Warriors, but I have feeling that it might be a bit tougher than last year and there is a bigger chance of an upset.
The east is not as easy for the Cavs as it seems. Sure they've added a few good players but will they gel in time for the playoffs?
Both the Celtics and the Wizards look dangerous. Can't forget Toronto either.
I think LeBron and co will come out on top but I have a feeling that Eastern Conference finals will be a 7 game affair.
The west is between the Spurs and the Warriors. If Durant doesn't make it back, the Spurs will win the Western Conference.

I agree for the most part. The logical picks are still Cavs vs Warriors, but I have feeling that it might be a bit tougher than last year and there is a bigger chance of an upset.
The east is not as easy for the Cavs as it seems. Sure they've added a few good players but will they gel in time for the playoffs?
Both the Celtics and the Wizards look dangerous. Can't forget Toronto either.
I think LeBron and co will come out on top but I have a feeling that Eastern Conference finals will be a 7 game affair.
The west is between the Spurs and the Warriors. If Durant doesn't make it back, the Spurs will win the Western Conference.

The East isn't easy - if Lowry comes back healthy they'll give the Cavs a tough series.
The Wizards did improve at the deadline and by all accounts John Wall has taken his game up a notch .... but i still can't get past the Cavs if Love is healthy especially.

There are plenty of question marks and enough to possibly make the first round games less predictable

The Cavs look very weak on defence. Watched the Heat game last night. Can't even defend a simple pick and roll.
Their perimeter defence is among the worst in the league. They turned up the tempo in the end and almost got back in it, but it was too late.
I have a feeling that they'll be a different team in the playoffs.

The big headline from last night's game was that Bogut got hurt....again. This time he broke his tibia. Out indefinitely. Played a little more than 50s.
He will definitely be cut and the Cavs will have to find another center. Only viable options are Perkins, Varejao, some D-league player or Sanders who hasn't played since the 14-15 season.

Deron Williams who was supposed to be the big PG solution has been shit so far.

Last edited:
I never wish injury on anyone but there's a bit of poetic justice in that Bogut injury.

Back
Top Bottom