• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Manchester City vs Liverpool - Match Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a feeling had we scored first, it could have been the reverse score in our favour. Neither team had the patience to defend diligently last night; it was attack against attack.

I rest my case with that last goal chance. We played like an under 19 team in terms of decision-making. What on earth were we chasing with ten minutes to go? Goal bonuses?

Instead of wallowing in nostalgia and bizarre dreams of 'dynasties,' the club should be taking a cold hard look at what happened to Leicester. Too much celebration, too much cockiness towards rivals who would start strengthening, too much reliance on the existing squad, and too little professionalism. This season has been a great achievement, but the club and its fawning hacks need to get it really clear in their heads: this time next year could be really depressing unless the focus sharpens here and now. The old LFC teams kept winning because they knew each season was a new battle. You'd get your medals thrown at you and that was that - move on. You can excuse this shambles as much as you like, but a canny manager like Klopp, hopefully, will know he needs to use it as a wake up call. And I just hope FSG back him when it comes to bringing in players who'll help us improve rather than stagnate.

What happened Leicester wasn't cockiness or too much celebration. They had a freak year and reverted to mean the following year. We, on the other hand followed up winning the Champions League by tearing through the league. There is no way Klopp will allow professionalism to slip. We were shite, especially in the second half (thought we were quite good for the first half hour). It's fans who have been banging on about dynasties, not the players or Klopp. The players weren't at the races and were caught out by a City team with a point to prove. While it wasn't a good enough performance I don't think it was worrying enough to go over the top in reaction.

Last edited:
I agree. Had mané dinked it over ederson early on or Salah got that shot in off the post we’d have destroyed them. Then Joe fancied a cuddle and it went downhill from there.

I’m pissed off elliott and Curtis Jones didn’t get on.

I have a feeling had we scored first, it could have been the reverse score in our favour. Neither team had the patience to defend diligently last night; it was attack against attack.

This, and City is probably the worst team (bar us) to be chasing a goal to, as it opens up so much space.
They took their chances, we didnt. Move on. Villa next. First home game as PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS.

Salah did all right, I thought he was our danger man all night. I would say him, Fabinho and Hendo were our better performers on the day.

In other words the players who did not spend the week getting pissed, and the captain who has been at the club long enough to take his responsibilities seriously. I would bring in a local Imam and convert the entire squad first thing in the morning.

Wasn't able to watch the game (working at a festival) but then I thought about the score after the result and wondered about Klopp and the whole proving a point thing. I can imagine losing to last year's winners 4-0 is a good starting gun to be backed in the transfer market if needed

In other words the players who did not spend the week getting pissed, and the captain who has been at the club long enough to take his responsibilities seriously. I would bring in a local Imam and convert the entire squad first thing in the morning.

Mane looked the most "drunk" of all though.

Mane looked the most "drunk" of all though.

He played on the left side, where he has grown accustomed to basing his runs and movement off what Robertson is doing. Poor bastard needed some sea sickness tablets and he'd have been fine.

He played on the left side, where he has grown accustomed to basing his runs and movement off what Robertson is doing. Poor bastard needed some sea sickness tablets and he'd have been fine.

Tell me how this is Robertson's fault:

I rest my case with that last goal chance. We played like an under 19 team in terms of decision-making. What on earth were we chasing with ten minutes to go? Goal bonuses?

Instead of wallowing in nostalgia and bizarre dreams of 'dynasties,' the club should be taking a cold hard look at what happened to Leicester. Too much celebration, too much cockiness towards rivals who would start strengthening, too much reliance on the existing squad, and too little professionalism. This season has been a great achievement, but the club and its fawning hacks need to get it really clear in their heads: this time next year could be really depressing unless the focus sharpens here and now. The old LFC teams kept winning because they knew each season was a new battle. You'd get your medals thrown at you and that was that - move on. You can excuse this shambles as much as you like, but a canny manager like Klopp, hopefully, will know he needs to use it as a wake up call. And I just hope FSG back him when it comes to bringing in players who'll help us improve rather than stagnate.

^^^^^
THIS

It's not a question of accepting plausible excuses, it's a question of mentality. The great champions never look for excuses, they never accept them (even when they can), they are always furious about defeats, they're always angry with themselves for defeats, they are always absolutely intolerant of the slightest slip in standards. You either understand that or you don't. Roy Keane was such an important figure for the mancs as a captain because he had that attitude. This game might prove to be a complete one-off or it might be looked back on as something more serious. We'll have to see what the reaction is over the next few games. But there's absolutely no cause for smug complacency. Certainly fans regard these results as trivial when they lose or portentous when they win, and they can laugh about anyone disagreeing, but if a team seriously wants to build on a title win rather than just sit back and enjoy it, it simply has to refuse to dismiss this kind of thing. Like it or not, that's the attitude that saw Liverpool amass 18 titles. I hope the 19th sparks the same attitude, rather than its opposite.
^^^^^^^^^^
Again, THIS

Uuuum ... just so i get this straight - we break a crazy record by playing badly, and 'the ship has sailed' ? Come on dude.
I can't base the best Premier League team ever on point tally only. It's hard to beat what that Man U team did. Yes we won the CL also, but last year. Yes we won the super cup, thats one game. Yes we won the World club cup, again just two games.
They won the fucking CL and FA cup the same season as the league. So I can forgive them for losing a few games here and there.
So for me, when we were still unbeaten, yeah we were on our way to becoming the best PL team ever. Even Arsenal fans kept their mouths shut.
But the way we've lost. Come on what was it 3-0 away to a bottom team?
And now getting stomped by City?
The year they got 100 points they also scored 106 goals. They only concerned 27.
They lost 2 games with a one goal margin.

So yeah, I guess we'll see how the team performs in the remaining 6 games.

Last edited:
i hope you don't pick ladies that way ...
15 years ago .... "Listen Jessica Biel, you're lovely, and I would love to make you one happy lass today, but I'm sorry - your mascara has been put on pretty poorly today, and the colors of your socks? blue? on a date with Modo? You better find a new man - Might I recommend that N'Sync leader singer?"

i hope you don't pick ladies that way ...
15 years ago .... "Listen Jessica Biel, you're lovely, and I would love to make you one happy lass today, but I'm sorry - your mascara has been put on pretty poorly today, and the colors of your socks? blue? on a date with Modo? You better find a new man - Might I recommend that N'Sync leader singer?"
Wow, I'm not even kidding right now but that's pretty much what I do. Kinda like Eddie Murphy in boomerang.

so points record = ship sailed? come now.
That's still on but we've dropped 5/9 points since coming back. We need 15/18 to break it or 14/18 to equal it. I can see us falling short - now 5 away games (most for 28 years is it?) without scoring.

However if we can reel off the next three can see the lads upping the gears and winning at Arsenal. Chelsea them becomes irrelevant if we can win at Newcastle - and if it comes down to a must win game then it's likely we would.

Break
5-1-0 or 5-0-1

Equal
4-2-0 or better.

Villa (H)
Brighton (A)
Burnley (H)
Arsenal (A)
Chelsea (H)
Newcastle (A)

Last edited:
The record would be nice but I'm not arsed at all. I'd have been happy had we won the league with 60 points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom