• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Liverpool v Burnley - Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you know what, Peter Walton is the biggest cunt in the world after Jon Moss.

These refs are all disgrace, fucking shambles.

He COMPLETELY WIPES ROBBO OUT

Seemed to be the familiar story today, pretty wasteful upfront, and Gomez all over the place. Thought the young lads did pretty good mind.

Bobby has scored 11 goals again this season, I just don't think it's good enough. He scores that amount more often than he doesn't. When a striker scores goals but has a poor performance, you can quite easily let them off on the basis of them scoring goals, but when you have a number 9 that doesn't score any goals, and plays bad, he should really be benched. You can teach a forward how to press, graft, and pinch the odd ball, it's not as easy to teach one how to be a great goalscorer, and I think we need to swap Bobby out for one.
And then we have Salah doing his Luis Garcia impression again.

Maybe FSG will blindside us and back Klopp this summer, and buy a couple of players. We can't be relying on the likes of the kids, Origi, the Ox and Minamino to win us games on a regular basis and/or start games.

All the subs were shit today, Klopp clearly pushing Origi Shaq and Minamino out.

Origi's has his fair share of chances so I'm not too bothered about him.

But Ox...how many more chances does this guy need to impress?

Keita should've fucking started.

Gomez was better than van Dijk today. That’s not why we lost though. We lost because we let ourselves down with our final ball or finishing.

We've won the league, and telling that the players now had taken their feet off the gas. Not even a single player looked to be busting their gut on the pitch, a lot had laid blames on Firmino and Salah for not scoring, some gone as far as bitching about cameo sub like Ox and even Minamino who wasn't even playing, but everyone forgot we've been testing fate pretty much every game we've played since the title. To me Van Dijk had lift his foot off the gas completely, too lax in defending and it shows. He is not playing up to his ability and it shows a lot on his partners. You can put Matip next to him now and we still be conceding that goal. The other one was Mane, when he was on his full throttle, he is unplayable, but in the past few matches you could see he had hardly broken past his second gear.

I understand why, and I get it, we've won the title. I don't think the gang cares anymore about the record of 100% win rate at home or breaking 100 points.

We’ve won games where we created less chances and had less control.

Difference today was our finishing was rubbish, regardless of Popes display.

No more room for error if we want that record but ultimately it’s just the icing on the cake.

We are the champions and if you said that 5 mins after the end of last years league campaign ended that we would be next season, everyone would be overjoyed.

Don't agree about "regardless of Pope's display" (one or two of our attempts would have got past a lesser keeper) but agree otherwise. We've played worse and won, and the record - while it would be nice - is ultimately a bit of tabloid icing. The cake is the title, and it's all ours.

I'd love the points record.

I'd wouldn't love us to go all out for it now, & then suffer some fatigue or injuries early into next season (which is only really a few fucking weeks away) which fucks up a challenge next season though.

Klopp has said many times in the past he doesn't give a fuck about points records, know I think he'd love to amass one now anyway, but not at that potential cost. He'll be paying much closer attention to the medical & physio team & picking sides as much on their recommendations as to try to win games.

I suspect he woukd take a couple of dropped points here & there now in return for the likes of Jones, Williams & Keita finding form in the first team & benefitting from that next season as well.

Yeah, don't worry about the points record. The league was wrapped up earlier, and simultaneously later, than ever. Like some sort of Schrödinger's title. I don't think that's ever going to be beaten!

Back to back titles means more to me than a points record. If we are treating this time like preseason that could excuse some of our ups and downs. It still doesn’t excuse our abysmal finishing.

They were pointing out on commentary yesterday, that in 2 weeks our season is finished, while Utd & CIty still have the European matches to play through August (and they, Chelsea or Arsenal could also be in a FA Cup final). New season will likely start in September, so we have a much better opportunity for a "pre season" and that should help us.

Does it work like that though for teams like City? They have more or less two squads, so fitness shouldn't be an issue and actual competitive high intensity match fitness is probably more valuable than what you get from friendlies.

[article]"One notable aspect of the game was that Liverpool were chasing a goal for over 20 minutes after Rodriguez equalised. And yet, with Origi and Minamino on the bench, Klopp instead turned to his right back and midfielders. Trent, Keita and Oxlade-Chamberlain came on to provide more ammo to Mane, Firmino and Salah, rather than adding an extra gun at the top end.

"The club’s pursuit of Timo Werner, even if they ultimately decided the money wasn’t justified, suggests that they see there is an issue with having three elite forwards, and then a big drop off.

"Minamino is a project, but Origi seems to be the bigger question mark. A man whose primary use in the past has been as an impact sub when his team needs a goal from nowhere, was not trusted to do so on Saturday, and you could argue that decision was justified."[/article]

Good points here.

Interesting ones, certainly, but I'm not convinced by them for a variety of reasons: Neither the writer nor the rest of us know Klopp's exact reasons for the decision(s) in question - it may be that Origi hadn't been going well in training before this particular game, or it may be that we had some other tactical change in mind which involved a different kind of substitution rather than simply "adding an extra gun at the top end". Nor do I agree with the writer that Origi's primary role has been as an impact sub - often the substitution has seemed to me to have been made to give the opposition something different to think about, or maybe because one of the others has picked up a knock. We do need more attacking options, but IMO the writer has overinterpreted the situation last Saturday and oversimplified it as a result..

Also if you've got the best front 3 in the world and you need a goal, do you take one off? Not sure that really makes sense

Ok, so maybe you add one to the front & play 4 up top? Err - no, would potentially surrender the midfield in that case

Or do you add to the attacking prowess of the lines behind your front 3 with a more attack minded midfielder and a full back who is a fucking beast? Yeah, that makes sense

[article]"One notable aspect of the game was that Liverpool were chasing a goal for over 20 minutes after Rodriguez equalised. And yet, with Origi and Minamino on the bench, Klopp instead turned to his right back and midfielders. Trent, Keita and Oxlade-Chamberlain came on to provide more ammo to Mane, Firmino and Salah, rather than adding an extra gun at the top end.

"The club’s pursuit of Timo Werner, even if they ultimately decided the money wasn’t justified, suggests that they see there is an issue with having three elite forwards, and then a big drop off.

"Minamino is a project, but Origi seems to be the bigger question mark. A man whose primary use in the past has been as an impact sub when his team needs a goal from nowhere, was not trusted to do so on Saturday, and you could argue that decision was justified."[/article]

Good points here.

Didn't the subs (Keita and TAA) come on just before we conceded though? We weren't chasing a goal then (we'll not as much as we were after the equaliser)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom