• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LFC Loan Watch 2023-24

With Matip leaving there's a spot open.

I know - and I fully expect us to spend big on a CB.

I think VdB gets a chance in pre-season, but strangely I feel like he had a better chance of being integrated with Klopp.

it might work out or he might be used to generate some cash - he’d be worth at least £20m wouldn’t he.

What about Joey?

I don’t think Gomez is being sold, but he nat find his opportunities again lie at FB - particularly if Trent gets moved into midfield permanently in either an advanced role or as part of a double pivot.

I don’t think Gomez is being sold, but he nat find his opportunities again lie at FB - particularly if Trent gets moved into midfield permanently in either an advanced role or as part of a double pivot.
I don't think he fits the Slot FB profile of (correct me if I'm wrong) pacey wingmen.

Robbo +1 ( Gomez and Tsimikas gone) and Trent and Bradders. If Trent is moved into midfield then maybe a new RB as well as LB. Maybe one of our youngsters will get a chance but not two.

I don't think he fits the Slot FB profile of (correct me if I'm wrong) pacey wingmen.

Robbo +1 ( Gomez and Tsimikas gone) and Trent and Bradders. If Trent is moved into midfield then maybe a new RB as well as LB. Maybe one of our youngsters will get a chance but not two.

It depends largely if he has his FBs invert into midfield or push up high - he utilises both methods.

I honestly don’t see the point in selling Gomez unless he wants to goz

Tsimikas, I don’t think it matters.

View: https://x.com/DanielMarsh92/status/1791813841724064231

When Fabio Carvalho departed the Championship with a winner's medal two years ago, it was very much intended to be a one-way ticket.

Liverpool was the 21-year-old forward's dream destination and just reward for a spell-binding campaign with Fulham. But after a challenging maiden season at Anfield and an underwhelming loan spell at RB Leipzig, Carvalho found himself back in the second-tier in January.

It was Hull City who persuaded Carvalho to loan them his magic feet for six months in the transfer window - and the Tigers have helped put the smile back on the face of a player who, by his own admission, had lost his way in Germany.

Speaking to Mirror Football , Carvalho says: "I went to Leipzig as I thought it was the best position for me at the time.

"If I'm being honest, when I was there my confidence was low. I was playing five minutes here and there and it wasn't enough. Then when I did step on the pitch I didn't really know what I was doing because my confidence was [gone]."

What a difference a few months make. Carvalho has just been crowned the EFL Young Player of the Month for April after registering five goals and two assists in seven games.

Those figures, and his performances during the second half of the season, underline why Carvalho was a regular in the Liverpool squad following his move from Fulham. But as the months ticked by, the appearances dried up. After playing an hour in Liverpool's defeat to Nottingham Forest in November 2022, he would go on to play just 11 more minutes in the Premier League.

Starting the current campaign with a loan switch to Europe, in the form of Leipzig, felt like a natural move for a prodigious young talent who had been courted by some of Europe's elite just 12 months earlier.

But another taxing experience overseas drained the confidence of a player who seemingly had the world at his feet after conquering the Championship.

"Playing and being confident, having fun with my football, that made me a lot more confident than I was before [coming in at Hull]," he adds.

"That's crucial; if you want to play well and to the best of your ability, you've got to be happy. You can't let what happens on the pitch determine how you feel off it. It's got to be the other way round. That's important."

Against the odds, Carvalho transitioned from a bit-part role at Leipzig to an influential one on Humberside seamlessly. After starting just once in the Bundesliga, Carvalho was thrust into Hull's promotion push. His ability to adapt was aided, he stresses, by the welcoming environment he was shepherded into in January; a month where the Tigers went all out in a bid to push for a play-off finish.

Hull may have eventually run out of steam but Carvalho more than played his part: he plundered nine goals and two assists in 20 games for the Tigers, who finished just three points and a single place off the top-six.

Carvalho reflects: "I think if we had a few more games we probably would have got it. But in football, there's not really space for ifs. We had chances where we could have put games away and we didn't and that cost us in the end. Regardless of all of that, I'm still proud."

On his own performances, Carvalho is satisfied. He is quick to pay tribute to Liam Rosenior: the Hull City head coach who was suprisingly axed by owner Acun Ilicali last week.

"I learned so much [with Liam], honestly. It's probably one of the best six months I've had. I was just able to go and talk [with him] about anything. Every other day we would have a meeting on what he wants me to do and [going through] clips.

"What happened caught me - and I think everyone else - off guard because of how much of an amazing manager he is. I spoke to him after what happened. I said to him what I think of the situation, which I went go into. But obviously the club has their own vision for the future. I wish them nothing but the best and I wish Liam all the best."

Much like Hull, Carvalho now only has eyes on the future. He will hope to be a beneficiary of a new era at Liverpool after the Kop bid farewell to one of their favourite sons on Sunday.

With Arne Slot set to replace the outgoing Jurgen Klopp, Carvalho has a fresh start. Much like when he originally signed for Liverpool, he will arrive for pre-season bristling with belief after tearing up the Championship.

The test will be translating the performances he produced for Hull on a far grander stage. The chance to pen a fresh chapter is one he is relishing.

"I'm in a good place and I'm in a [good] position to go back to Liverpool," Carvalho concludes. "It's very exciting, especially for the players coming back from loan like me and Tyler [Morton] who haven't really stamped down our authority on the club.

"It's time to show the people coming in that we're here and up for the challenge. That's the whole point of pre-season, to show what you're made of. Then we'll see what happens."

Back
Top Bottom