• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Klopp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Germany's won it 4 times, England once and over 50 years ago. In England, he would be immortalised. In Germany, the reaction would be far more subdued because they've won it 4 times
That's dumb

Football Hackers: The Science and Art of a Data Revolution
41kj-JJNepL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Link: https://books.google.com.sg/books?id=uiCIDwAAQBAJ

View attachment 1450
View attachment 1449
(The normal service resume part kinda apply for Dortmund, given they were 17th at winter break and finished the season 7th)
View attachment 1448
View attachment 1447
View attachment 1446

At winter break of 14/15:

[article]A first look at the numbers tells me that Dortmund certainly aren’t playing like a relegation threatened team. Our Expected Goals model (which basically assigns the probability of each shot being scored) has Klopp’s team in for scoring approximately 25 goals so far this season and a conceded total of 17 goals; this gives an Expected goal difference of +8 goals. The reality of what happened on the pitch is very different however, with the concession of 26 goals dwarfing the 18 goals that they have actually scored – that is a swing of 16 goals between the Expected Goal Difference as calculated by us and their real Goal Difference. And all of that occurred in just 17 games.

It is sometimes possible for a team to under perform their Expected Goal Difference without having a significant adverse impact on their league position. For example, a team may win by just 1 goal despite an emphatic performance, or get beat by 3 or 4 goals when the numbers would suggest that they should have suffered a narrow defeat. In both these cases the underperformance of Expected goals doesn’t actually cost the team any league points. Unfortunately however, Dortmund have not had the good fortune to be in this position this season as they have recorded six single goal defeats and three draws from their 17 league games played. In other words, an additional goal here or there would almost certainly have resulted in additional league points for BVB.

Using our ExpG model, when I run thousands of simulations on all the shots taken in the games played so far in the Bundesliga this season I arrive at a league table that looks as follows at the top:

Top5League.png

It’s noticeable that, with the exception of Dortmund, all of the other teams have approximately as many league points as our model has predicted.

Not only do I not have Dortmund in relegation trouble, but I actually have them in 4th position and, on my simulated table, they are within 1 league point of Wolfsburg. The lack of league points won by Dortmund this season, given the shots taken in their games, is extraordinary. The extent of their underperformance in terms of Expected Goals and actual goals is not something that I think I have seen before and even if their underlying performances don’t improve I’m confident that it’s only a matter of time until Dortmund begin their ascent up the table.

Despite that assertion I wanted to take a look at some of the metrics I keep an eye on to see if I could pick something else out that might help us get an idea of what has changed for the Black and Yellows this season.[/article]

[article]
Some of Dortmund’s defensive lowlights:
  • 15% of all shots taken against them have been scored (this is the highest in the league)
  • Allowed 6.3% of shots taken from outside the penalty area to be scored. The league average is 3.6% and only Leverkusen (7.5%) have conceded a higher percentage this season

Our model expected Dortmund to concede approximately 16.5 goals so far this season; however they have conceded 26.
[/article]
Awesome Binny ! Thanks for posting that.

This excerpt particularly relevant to the attitude of some posters and telling they don't appreciate being shot down as not one of the naysayers gave you a Like !

p2-jpg.1449

That's why they scraped 4th and we got number 6

Not sure if I see your point. They have a strong squad that has worked together some years. Of the above I think they strengthen through Son for Chadli and probably get more from Alli more forward. Their Central mid is about the same, a little grey and hard working. Walker probably a better right back than trippier. But a few years together and They reach CL.

Not sure if I see your point. They have a strong squad that has worked together some years. Of the above I think they strengthen through Son for Chadli and probably get more from Alli more forward. Their Central mid is about the same, a little grey and hard working. Walker probably a better right back than trippier. But a few years together and They reach CL.
I think they're at least a year behind really. Before adding Fabinho, Allison and Keita, and especially van Dijk, ours was about at spurs' level. Hopefully they don't figure out what to do next

I think they're at least a year behind really. Before adding Fabinho, Allison and Keita, and especially van Dijk, ours was about at spurs' level. Hopefully they don't figure out what to do next

So, in Klopps first game he meet a team were the core is in place to create a CL finalist after 3-4 years. In that CL final They meet Klopp again, but he has built a whole new team from that first game. You have a little dig at Klopp claiming that was at least what he should do in that timespan , then you claim Spurs is a year behind us with having the same core intact.

Amsterdam stranded I guess it is called.... :D

So, in Klopps first game he meet a team were the core is in place to create a CL finalist after 3-4 years. In that CL final They meet Klopp again, but he has built a whole new team from that first game. You have a little dig at Klopp claiming that was at least what he should do in that timespan , then you claim Spurs is a year behind us with having the same core intact.

Amsterdam stranded I guess it is called.... :D
Nah defo not giving him a dig - still with the Lifetime contract vibe dude.

I can't write in English anymore though hah

He's got the Lifetime contract til we lose again, anyway. His last win lasts 3 months, the ideal bask

Does anyone remember an interview Klopp gave a few weeks back, around the time where it was being said that Liverpool were not planning any significant in-comings this summer but were planning on consolidating current contracts etc... Klopp said something like, "The club are always looking to strengthen where possible". The interviewer summed up the interview with, and I paraphrase, "...so no major signings expected?" At this point, Klopp was a little enigmatic and said something like, "Maybe One..." as he walked off. I'm sure I didn't dream it but I am becoming increasingly puddled in my old age I just remember thinking that something significant HAD been said. Almost as if there was something BIG in the works.

Does anyone remember an interview Klopp gave a few weeks back, around the time where it was being said that Liverpool were not planning any significant in-comings this summer but were planning on consolidating current contracts etc... Klopp said something like, "The club are always looking to strengthen where possible". The interviewer summed up the interview with, and I paraphrase, "...so no major signings expected?" At this point, Klopp was a little enigmatic and said something like, "Maybe One..." as he walked off. I'm sure I didn't dream it but I am becoming increasingly puddled in my old age I just remember thinking that something significant HAD been said. Almost as if there was something BIG in the works.
This should be in the mbappe thread...

Poor @Ijg..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom