1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
    Dismiss Notice
Why Not Register?

It only takes a few minutes to register on SixCrazyMinutes

Click Here

Kabak - Phillips (the 'Other Guys')

Discussion in 'The Football Forum' started by moron, Apr 4, 2021.

1. moron

moron i am legend Member

Ok - so what's the issue some of you have with those two now ? all I know is that they have played 4 games together now as a partnership (from the start of the game) - have conceded zero goals and we have won every game with them both, with three games I think Fab shielding them in his midfield defensive role.

This got me thinking - I am looking back to the season with Gomez/Matip, and VDD only - when you look back to some of those games before Fab/Alli arrived there were some inconsistent moments (e.g. conceding goals against Roma home and away..), I mean yes VVD bought the organizational presence but we were still leaking goals and losing/drawing games even at the tail-end of last season, and lets not forget the goals we conceded early on e.g. Villa away, and against Leeds in our first game - in this season.

I actually get a buzz out of how these two youngsters will play each game now, and along with the excitement of Jota up front who seems to be able have the positioning and scoring abilities of a natural striker.  Yet we seem to be so uncertain about them - lets face it - there has not been a header that Phillips has missed, and yet any moment when either of our two Rookie defenders make a slight error - it's a case of they are not good enough.  Are we being too harsh and critical on these guys ? - If they get through the Real Madrid game this Tuesday without losing or fucking up - I think we should stop and take these two seriously.

Yeah  I get it - Kabak/Phillips are the 'Other Guys', but man they are so good together.

2. peekay

peekay Very Well-Known Member

Credit where it's due. I think the triangle of Fabinho/Phillips/Kabak has delivered big time.

3. Bradley

Bradley Very Well-Known Member

NVP and Kabak will be regarded as legends if they drag us to 4th and a Big Ears.

4. mark1975

mark1975 Moderator Moderator

I think the only criticism you can level at them is that Kabak in particular isn't that great technically. He's ok, but whereas before we had Matip who could play out from the back, VVD who could ping 40 yard passes and Gomez who could also play, Kabak is alot more of an out and out defender first and foremost. Phillips is actually quite decent on the ball, he passes it well and first time, he also showed he can play a bit yesterday when he pressed high up the pitch, worked his way into the box and put in a decent cross.

Other than the slight downgrade in technical ability, they've done brilliantly. Though we've now remembered how to protect our defense again so they have been put under a lot less pressure than our defense had been over the previous few months.

Frogfish, peekay and darkstarexodus like this.
  5. Stevesquash

Stevesquash Very Active Member

Natbak have been completely immense.

Completely agree Phillips in particular will be a cult hero at the very least if we manage to win CL.

I remember in his 1st few outings he completly cleaned out a couple of strikers once he'd been rinsed. And whilst that's not always a bad thing he's improved so much we haven't seen him have to do that recently.

Kabak has also improved beyond wildest dreams.

Donavan Ried and moron like this.
  6. moron

moron i am legend Member

I think Kabak is actually good technically and a decent passer, but has limited himself to stay further back than Philips because he has more pace.  Yesterday there was one dodgy situation - and Kabak just took the ball out of the danger area without any issues.

@peekay  - thanks for posting that tweet - that actually makes sense and I was thinking the same - games without conceding a goal - how long has that not happened for - fuck me 1988 !!! - but it is the sort of thing I am talking about, these two have been so good together that I cannot remember a time even with VVD where we did that.  What this underlines to me is also how fucking good is Fab at shielding our defense ? - we really need a backup for him at some stage.

Donavan Ried likes this.
  7. Modo

Modo A contentious scando Member

Yes we do need a back up in the DM position, but it's not a priority.

8. Modo

I agree with everyone else here that Kabak and Philips have been immense, but a major factor in that is having Fabinho in DM.  The center of the pitch has basically been closed off for our opponents since his move from defence, making the defending so much easier for Philips and Kabak.
    If they try to play the ball over the midfield the aggressiveness and aerial ability of Philips makes it easy for him to clear.
    Kabak is very mature for his age. I like the fact that he's calm and composed. They fit each other well.

moron, peekay, Frogfish and 2 others like this.
  9. Dreambeliever

Dreambeliever From Doubter to Believer -Cashed out to Cashed Up Member

Cult heroes in the making.

Bradley likes this.
  10. Modo

Remember when Mascherano was covering for Carra and Hyypiä/Agger?
    Basically the same with Fabinho. Maybe not as quick, but stronger in the air and a better tackler.

11. tomasjj

tomasjj Well-Known Member

Regarding technique and passing, I see it differently. Kabak being superior in that department.

Stevesquash, rurikbird and Modo like this.
  12. dmishra

dmishra Very Well-Known Member

Agreed, we're a different animal completely with Fabinho in midfield.

13. Dreambeliever

Dreambeliever From Doubter to Believer -Cashed out to Cashed Up Member

Absolutely agree.

14. Modo

Yes, Philips has the basics but he still gives me that Sakho feeling every time he's got the ball at his feet.

15. TheRedCrusade

TheRedCrusade Active Member

I would really invest in Grujic or Trent in that position. Although I think Trent is better suited to the right midfield position after two seasons. So that leaves us with Grujic or the new Lahm in our academy. I would evaluate them and get them trained in real games before another disaster occurs next season.

16. Modo

Who is the new Lahm? And why would Lahm play in the defensive midfield role?
    Grujic will most definitely be sold.

17. TheRedCrusade

TheRedCrusade Active Member

Leighton Clarkson

18. tomasjj

tomasjj Well-Known Member

Not at all meant to bash Phillips, who has done really well.
    The trio with Fabs in front is working. However, up against Real, the gap in individual quality compared to our top choices might become visible.

19. Modo

From the little I've seen of him, I don't think he's a big prospect.

20. moron

moron i am legend Member

Yes up against Real Madrid - I was actually expecting this gap in quality to appear vs Leipzig, Wolves, and Arsenal, so far it has not, so lets see if this worse fear that everyone is carrying actually materializes against Real.

Let it also be known for the record we lost a European Cup Final against Real Madrid with VVD, and Lovren at the back where Lovren was outstanding. You see I have a real problem with some of the stuff posted on here - it's working because they have Fab in front of them ? - yes that is part of it but has anyone considered that that maybe the same case why the likes of VVD, and Gomez/Matip look great with Fab in front of them ?

TheRedCrusade likes this.