• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

January Window Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we only buy one player?
No but our main priority imo is a DM.
Do we have cash to buy a striker as well. It's not like Aubameyang is inexpensive.
Goretzka is free but I doubt that he'll come to us. Also he isn't a DM either.

Klopp needs to buy a DM, two CBs, a new goalkeeper and a striker

He has needed all of these players since he fucking arrived and has managed to fail to buy any of them

For the last time, Keita and Goretzka both play in teams where they're free to attack because they have a DM or another defensive minded player behind who covers for them.
You think Keita would be able to go on those marauding runs if weren't so?
Look up Diego Demme.
With Can leaving the only way we're fixing our midfield is by revamping our midfield. Yes, that means three new players.
This whole modern midfielder notion that some here advocate that constitutes us playing with midfielders who supposedly can defend like Henderson, Wijnaldum etc isn't working. Not in the premiership anyway.

For the last time, Keita and Goretzka both play in teams where they're free to attack because they have a DM or another defensive minded player behind who covers for them.
You think Keita would be able to go on those marauding runs if weren't so?
Look up Diego Demme.
With Can leaving the only way we're fixing our midfield is by revamping our midfield. Yes, that means three new players.
This whole modern midfielder notion that some here advocate that constitutes us playing with midfielders who supposedly can defend like Henderson, Wijnaldum etc isn't working. Not in the premiership anyway.
We all know we need a DM, but we also all know that Klopp doesn't want one so its pointless stressing over it. Its just not gonna happen.

We all know we need a DM, but we also all know that Klopp doesn't want one so its pointless stressing over it. Its just not gonna happen.
My point is, thinking that Keita and Goretzka will all of a sudden alleviate our defensive woes in midfield is wrong. Yes, they might help, but it's not the complete solution.
Yes I know that Klopp doesn't buy into the whole DM thing, but he did have Bender playing a similar role and he can defend.

My point is, thinking that Keita and Goretzka will all of a sudden alleviate our defensive woes in midfield is wrong. Yes, they might help, but it's not the complete solution.
Yes I know that Klopp doesn't buy into the whole DM thing, but he did have Bender playing a similar role and he can defend.
Yeah i know hence why i don't understand why he doesn't go for a DM with us...makes no sense.

Looks like Klopps solution to our defensive woes is another striker.
We're being linked with Aubameyang.
No DM for us...
That's not true, it's what the press are saying with no new found evidence, We know Klopp hates buying in Jan, so there is greater chance we won't see any new recruits. I am desperate we sign a defender but am not holding my breath

He has needed all of these players since he fucking arrived and has managed to fail to buy any of them
That’s half a team though.
It’s taking time, but he’s now addressed pace in attack, plus has a world class midfielder coming in.
Don’t know if we’ll get two CBs, probably unlikely, but I do hope he gets a CB and GK at the very least.
He didn’t rate Ming, we know that because he brought in another keeper. He doesn’t rate the new keeper, we know that because he now mostly plays Ming. We have to be looking for a new one, surely.

IMO we also need another midfielder in addition to Keita who's better at the more defensive stuff than our existing MFs, especially as Can seems to be on his bike.

IMO we also need another midfielder in addition to Keita who's better at the more defensive stuff than our existing MFs, especially as Can seems to be on his bike.

I'd love to get someone like N'Zonzi. He has been absolutely brilliant for Sevilla.
My hope was that Gruijc would step up and compete for a spot next to Keita. He seem to have all the qualities required.

I'd love to get someone like N'Zonzi. He has been absolutely brilliant for Sevilla.
My hope was that Gruijc would step up and compete for a spot next to Keita. He seem to have all the qualities required.
I like the fact Klopp hates DM's. Cant stand them and never heard the term util France 98. To me its just a midfielder who intercepts and stays in front of the defence all the time. This just gives licence to the rest of the players to forget about defending which is wrong.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

I like the fact Klopp hates DM's. Cant stand them and never heard the term util France 98. To me its just a midfielder who intercepts and stays in front of the defence all the time. This just gives licence to the rest of the players to forget about defending which is wrong.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

We’ve had some superb defensive midfielders;

Mascherano, Hannah, Whelan (late 80s version), even the majestic Souness was arguably in that mould, arguably Alonso too

It’s not a simple destruction only role, but the phrase is often misused anyway

Reactions: KFC

Mascherano, Hannah, Whelan (late 80s version), even the majestic Souness was arguably in that mould, arguably Alonso too

Kante was instrumental in Leicester and Chelsea winning the leagues, manwithnoname (mwnn) has left out Didi from his list. A good defence will have a good DM. A good DM just calms things down and slow the pace

Last edited:
Kante was instrumental in Leicester and Chelsea winning the leagues, manwithnoname (mwnn) has left out Didi from his list. A good defence will have a good DM. A good DM just calms things down and slow the pace so players around can calm down.

I tried to type Hamann but it autocorrected

Nothing arguable about it

He bought Karius, Klavan and Solanke - 60%

Ok then, he's failed to buy any good ones. 11% (10 for Matip who is ok sometimes, 1 for Solanke (who knows)).

Klopp's buys - in the majority they have been very good. Those that he bought that have turned out to be total shit are so low in price when comparing today's market prices that they hardly count as a buy. Think he was trying to get more players within a tight budget - so overall very good - I mean his expensive buys have turned out well - and so far he has not spunked away 20M on a dud. When he does that then I think we can be critical. Anything under 17M in todays market is like buying something from Poundland.

I'm not against a competent DM, but that's hardly the silver bullet for all defensive ills that some of you imagine it to be. Still, if Can is going I would like to bring in another CM in addition to Keita, no question about that.

I've got an insane idea.. what about Pierre-Emile Højbjerg??

So why would anyone suggest a player from our feeder club that can't even make their starting XI as one we should consider come January you ask? Because he's Danish like the poster? Is the poster actually insane? No really, I mean it.. why??

Because sometimes you have to think outside the borders to create magic..

And here's why the idea could work for us (but maybe only so in a parallel universe, I'd let you decide that);

Having only featured ONCE in Pellegrino's Southampton starting line-up all season obviously makes him a highly unlikely candidate for us, a team well above Soton in both terms of quality and history. No one really knows why he has figured as sparsely as has been the case, and it was only about 4 weeks ago he appeared in their match day squad for the first time - but then against Everton on Sunday he was back in the team and he played in the central defensive midfielder position. Like a boss.

Højbjerg was voted Sotons MOTM after their impressive win as he totally ran the midfield from the start to the end, sprayed passes left, right and centre short and deep like a Xabi Alonso clone and was constantly (and by constantly I literally mean constantly, it's almost too much at times) directing teammates of where to pass, move etc. When you then add a few surging runs, where's he's more locomotive than human (opponents are bouncing off him trying to stop him) you get to see the frame of a rather impressive commanding midfielder.

When he was a youngster at Bayern Munich he played alongside Emre Can among others, but Pep Guardiola rated him above our silken-haired midfielder as well as more or less all other youth players in their setup.

Unlike Can however Pierre-Emile's career have been less impressive so far with a successful loan-spell at Augsburg and a few good games for Bayern the highlights. Had a decent start to his Soton career last season but this one has been a downright fiasco. At least almost so, as his MOTM performance in his first game all season leaved a gap open for more success to come.

I know there are more obvious candidates out there and probably also better ones in terms of current form and career-showings, but when it comes to raw talent and some magnificent key attributes (leadership, tackling, awareness, positioning, power and a great passing range) there's few 22-years-old out there that tops him. He's a favourite player of mine, always been impressed with him and still believes he could go on and have a marvellous career - and I just think this insane idea have actually somehow in it's own deranged way got some sanity about it too. He'd be rather cheap too, pennies in this market.

Klopp could do wonders with him no doubt and if he could actually release his potential with us he's EXACTLY the kind of commanding midfield maestro we've lacked ever since Xabi Alonso left us.

Anyone else thinking this could be worth a punt? I guess it would take no more than £10M-15M to get him knowing how little he's played.

See we're being linked with the Serbian lad at Lazio. Not cheap at £50m plus but yes please. Midfield duo of him and Keita would be awesomd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom