• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

International breaks suck (Other games thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you do it in one go? I did Portland Oregon to Calgary in one go once. Took 14 hours. On the return split it into two days of 7 hours driving each. That way I was able to appreciate the British Columbia and Alberta natural beauty.

2.5 days on the way up there and 2 days on the way back, daylight hours in the winter and being strung out from stimulants at the end of the day being the limiting factors. Long haul of over 14 hours on day 1 and nearly 12 on day 2, by myself.

It's a nice drive but not as stunning as the mountains on the BC/Alberta border, so not too many places worth lingering at. There are a few hiking trails in parks along the way I have interest in but unless I was willing to dedicate a half day to hiking a few kilometres, just speed on by.

Had this fun incident on the way up. Traffic jam, northern style.

I hate international breaks. I just drove 2700km to be home for this weekend and I have sat through some or all of Cyprus-Scotland, Peterborough-Derby, Canada-Curacao and now Kazakhstan-Denmark instead of anything worth watching.

This is utter turd.
Not really, its a welcome break as i cannot imagine anyone on here who has enjoyed watching LFC play this season other than a fee games which to my count is no more than 4 games.

Fort Smith, Northwest Territories to my home in Winnipeg, Manitoba. About the same distance as Paris to Moscow without leaving Canada.

My spouse is living and working up there full time right now and I went for a visit.

Wow, that's some distance. What's it like that far north this time of year, and what's Fort Smith like overall?

Did you do it in one go? I did Portland Oregon to Calgary in one go once. Took 14 hours. On the return split it into two days of 7 hours driving each. That way I was able to appreciate the British Columbia and Alberta natural beauty.

BC Is gorgeous. Did New York City to Austin in 2 days once. 8 hours to Roanoke, 12 hours to Nola, 8 hours to Austin. 28 hours of driving in about 54 hours over 2800 KM or 1700 miles. Things you remember - being concerned driving through the south (watched too many movies), TN had the most amount of confederate flags I'd ever seen, they were everywhere (2015), Chattanooga was nice, Nola was great, Roanoke too

Wow, that's some distance. What's it like that far north this time of year, and what's Fort Smith like overall?

I am curious about life far north this time of the year too, @darkstarexodus. What does your wife do? Is she involved in the medical profession? In my home state of Kerala, there is a big recruitment drive for nurses to go and work in northwest territories. Pay a lot too. So a lot of nurses from rural and poor parts of Kerala have now migrated to Northern Canada and climbed up the economic ladder.

BC Is gorgeous. Did New York City to Austin in 2 days once. 8 hours to Roanoke, 12 hours to Nola, 8 hours to Austin. 28 hours of driving in about 54 hours over 2800 KM or 1700 miles. Things you remember - being concerned driving through the south (watched too many movies), TN had the most amount of confederate flags I'd ever seen, they were everywhere (2015), Chattanooga was nice, Nola was great, Roanoke too

Love road trips in US and Canada. Did a east coast to Pacific North West road trip through the Midwest, Wyoming, Idaho etc. Did a couple of roadtrips in Canada but all in Alberta and BC. I want to travel to the Northwest Territories at some point.

2.5 days on the way up there and 2 days on the way back, daylight hours in the winter and being strung out from stimulants at the end of the day being the limiting factors. Long haul of over 14 hours on day 1 and nearly 12 on day 2, by myself.

It's a nice drive but not as stunning as the mountains on the BC/Alberta border, so not too many places worth lingering at. There are a few hiking trails in parks along the way I have interest in but unless I was willing to dedicate a half day to hiking a few kilometres, just speed on by.

Had this fun incident on the way up. Traffic jam, northern style.

Went through your twitter profile. You sir, are ripped. Inspired me to make some changes.

Interesting choice of career also. Too many folks resort to pills for all their problems.

[article]Dutch greats Marco van Basten and Ruud Gullit has slammed Liverpool defender Virgil van Dijk.

The Holland captain had a game to forget in the heart of defence during Ronald Koeman's first game back in charge of the team as France ran riot in their Euro 2024 qualifier on Friday.

He fared better in their next game against lowly Gibraltar in a 3-0 win on Monday, but he did not escape the wrath of Van Basten, who believes he is not fit to wear the captain's armband because he does not communicate enough.

"He makes noise, but he doesn't say anything," Van Basten told Ziggo Sport.

"He is not clear. A good captain thinks aloud, makes it clear what is going on. He stays in between. He creates chaos. That leads to misunderstandings. That is what you, as a captain, must prevent.

"In the dressing room he is good, football tactically and technically not. You need another gentleman on the field. This has nothing to do with that injury, this has to do with leadership. He makes noise, but he says nothing. That's true. This is in you. This is wanting to win at all costs."

His fellow pundit Ruud Gullit - also a Dutch legend - backed up Van Basten's claims about Van Dijk, accusing the defender of arrogance and 'playing safe'.

"It's walking backwards," he said. "In England they have already criticised him. He was selected for the world team of the year. He thinks he's better than the rest.

"We see things… Then I think, 'you are captain, you have to solve this'. But he's just commenting a little on what's happening in front of him.

"I don't know if he's doing it, but it doesn't look like he's speaking. He plays so safe. Come on now, you're so big and good. It is a positive criticism that we give. Isn't he the best? Then show it."[/article]

[article]Netherlands defender Virgil Van Dijk has come in for scathing criticism for his international performances.

The Liverpool star has not been at his best this season, struggling for club and country.

Van Dijk was the subject of pundit ire following Holland's 4-0 defeat to France in a Euro 2024 qualifier.

Former FC Twente and Feyenoord boss Gertjan Verbeek stated on Omrop Fryslan: "I think Van Dijk is a first-class wimp.

"I would immediately take away his captain's armband.

"He has to mean a lot more as a captain. He has to put things down. It happens to him.

"At one point he lets Lutsharel Geertruida drown and then he stands there after the first goal, like: blablabla. Where was he then?"

Ex-internationals Ruud Gullit and Marco van Basten also criticised him yesterday.[/article]

Last edited:
Easy to stick the boot in by the fellow Dutch it seems.
Even Gerjan Verbeek, the dutch legend who played 10yrs for Heerenveen and managed to win the Aussie Cup.
Yes, we know he’s been shite this season but shut the fck up you twat.

Who cares what they think regardless. That Holland side was horrendous against France and that had little to do with Virgil in isolation.
Just happy he returned without an injury.

Weather is actually surprisingly pleasant right now. A bit warmer than our primary home in Winnipeg, given that there's little wind. Daytime highs between 0 and -10c. Not a lot of sunlight during winter - as little as 5 hours at the solstice - but now it's turned the other way and by midsummer will have about 19 hours and never really get all that dark. It can get brutally cold (-40 to -50c) but, unlike many other northern places, little wind. Summers are shorter but glorious. Tons of insects.

It's a town of about 2700 people, government and service hub on the border of a national park the size of Switzerland (and the 2nd largest park in the world). Tourism is big and it's located on one of the great whitewater paddling rivers of the world.

Cost of living is expensive and not much in terms of shopping, dining, nightlife, etc. but it's a lovely place to live with great people. We enjoy backcountry canoeing and camping, so it's perfect for us.

@peekay - my wife is also a pharmacist and, yes, plenty of foreign trained health professionals work in the communities that many Canadians aren't inclined to. Thanks for the kind words on the physique - definitely haven't always been fit. But it was life-changing for me and I want to help other folks feel and live healthier.

To be fair, that Spain side looks like a team they'd field for the olympics. I barely recognize any of their starting players and one of them is Kepa. Others mostly sound like youths, shit or both

They changed 8 players for from the side that played Norway. Worst thing is we should have gotten a result in that game as well.
The new Spain manager wont last long I think.

Weather is actually surprisingly pleasant right now. A bit warmer than our primary home in Winnipeg, given that there's little wind. Daytime highs between 0 and -10c. Not a lot of sunlight during winter - as little as 5 hours at the solstice - but now it's turned the other way and by midsummer will have about 19 hours and never really get all that dark. It can get brutally cold (-40 to -50c) but, unlike many other northern places, little wind. Summers are shorter but glorious. Tons of insects.

It's a town of about 2700 people, government and service hub on the border of a national park the size of Switzerland (and the 2nd largest park in the world). Tourism is big and it's located on one of the great whitewater paddling rivers of the world.

Cost of living is expensive and not much in terms of shopping, dining, nightlife, etc. but it's a lovely place to live with great people. We enjoy backcountry canoeing and camping, so it's perfect for us.

@peekay - my wife is also a pharmacist and, yes, plenty of foreign trained health professionals work in the communities that many Canadians aren't inclined to. Thanks for the kind words on the physique - definitely haven't always been fit. But it was life-changing for me and I want to help other folks feel and live healthier.

My wife and I would love to live in a location like Fort Smith. We love the overall ambience - nature, slow pace of life, good people, etc. I almost accepted a job in a town in Michigan UP but backed out due to worries about the winter. The problem is that we cannot handle the cold and the lack of sunlight. We love visiting such locations in the summer.

We are very sensitive to the cold. Went to Banff towards the end of August, camped there and when it went close to zero in the middle of the night, had problems.

Since we grew up in India, and whenever there is an extended cold period we have health issues which start creeping up.

My wife and I would love to live in a location like Fort Smith. We love the overall ambience - nature, slow pace of life, good people, etc. I almost accepted a job in a town in Michigan UP but backed out due to worries about the winter. The problem is that we cannot handle the cold and the lack of sunlight. We love visiting such locations in the summer.

We are very sensitive to the cold. Went to Banff towards the end of August, camped there and when it went close to zero in the middle of the night, had problems.

Since we grew up in India, and whenever there is an extended cold period we have health issues which start creeping up.

Definitely northern Canadian winters can be a challenge but it is possible to adapt to them overtime. While, as a Canadian, I'm probably better adapted to winter than most non-Canadians, I detest the cold and dark. But it's something to endure (and vacation away from!) for a small part of the year in exchange for all the other benefits.

That said, I'm hoping to be able to convert fully (or nearly so) to remote work in the upcoming years so I/we can relocate to somewhere with a lower cost of living and better climate such as Mexico or Colombia for at least part of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom