• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

He’ll Slot right in

So basically we are going get one of those Pep Wanabe managers rather than someone who will bring new and unique ideas to the table and an identifying style that makes us slightly different. Fuck this.
Well yeah actually a little bit of Pep will be a nice break from the Heavy metal chase-like-mad-and-inshallah game that currently lands half the squad in hospital every week. Isn't that what we wanted Alonso for anyway?

“If I look at myself, I try to win a match in the week before it is played, by conveying the training, pre-match team talks and tactics to the players as perfectly as possible.”

He will need to adapt to winning the match in the 2-3 days he has between matches , in that case. I hope someone preps him on how the schedule will likely pan out, so it doesn't surprise him like it did with Klopp.

Honestly reckon we are going for Slot because the nerds are gonna want to sell half our squad

Could easily sell:
Salah
Nuñez
Gakpo
Jota (obv we won't sell em all)
Konate (made of twigs)
Kelleher
Tsimikas

One would think once we get to our third or fourth choice, it would make more sense to broaden the search parameters.
I think Slot was probably at or near the top of our list. We did choose him over Amorim - the wisdom (or folly) of that decision will be apparent in seasons to come.

Very underwhelmed and seems an unnecessary gamble.

Fuck it, next season was most likely going to be shite anyway.

This isn't a criticism really, as every single manager and every single play style has its weaknesses.

The most hopeful thought I can muster about klopp leaving is the role of a midfield in a football team. Off the ball, I don't think there's any better coach of a midfield, so long as he's got the legs to work with.

On the ball though? Thiago said he learned how to run from klopp (clearly he didn't).

I wouldn't mind our midfield instead learning how to run a game of football. The way Trent was used recently, the way macca plays deep, it's just not a complete idea to just give the ball to a passy boy, or hoof and press it back. It's chaos, it's effective, it's exhausting for everyone involved. It's not fun to be a midfielder in our side unless we are all cruising. It's not expressive.

Szobo, a great attacking mid, quickly turned into just a pressing machine
Yep, played his best stuff before learning how to play off the ball. I think it is the case that midfielders can get back to being expressive after the triggers are second nature, and when the whole team is pressing well, but the inversion thing for me really fucks that for whoever is covering rb.

Szobo, a great attacking mid, quickly turned into just a pressing machine
Untitled.jpg

Yeah. The Trent tax. That role is the most thankless in our team, and for what? So Trent hits passes from deep instead of us having a dynamic attack?

The way that Trent gets the privilege of just doing the fun stuff is insane. Still more insane than people have seen him loping around and thought, "that's a Liverpool midfielder!"

World class right foot isn't enough.

Well I'm sure the spreadsheet puppet masters will decide that Trent's role isn't working, sooner or later.

It seems like Amorim was actually in pole position till he pulled that west ham bluff
The press decided Amorim was the man, but I never had the feeling LFC were set on him. He was one of the top options for sure, but we tend to move quickly after making a decision and there was no decision on Amorim.

The press decided Amorim was the man, but I never had the feeling LFC were set on him. He was one of the top options for sure, but we tend to move quickly after making a decision and there was no decision on Amorim.

The Amorim stuff seems to have been driven by the Portugese media.

I mentioned a few days ago that if Slot is appointed it could be a stabilising factor for our Dutch contingent (VvD, Gravenberch and Gakpo) and I wouldn't expect any of them to leave. He may bring V.d.Berg back too.
Jesus another reason to be worried. VDB is not made for a top team.

Can see it now. We win the league on the final day and the entire Kop rises, and pulls off 8k wigs to reveal a stand full of baldies in honour of the new messiah.

Shave bald heads will be in vogue on Matthew street by Xmas.

Interesting Dutch article on him from 2022:

I used a bit of Google Translate here:

'phlegmatic'
"Many people had the idea that Arne was lazy and phlegmatic, that he didn't do much for it," says Everse. "But that wasn't right. You just shouldn't expect sliding tackles from Arne."
Was no sub-topper ever interested in the scoring midfielder? It doesn't seem like that. Everse does have an explanation. "His motor skills have held back a lot." No, Slot was not fast, but had a good pass. Not a running prodigy, but insight into the game. "He got the most out of his qualities."

"Arne was constantly working on the boys in the team during training, already clearly a trainer in the making." The veteran was able to suddenly put things on edge during training, applying fierce pressure from the first round. "He was very keen to achieve another success with Zwolle."

The coaching career of Arne Slot
What may have always been there as a player is increasingly coming to mind for coach Slot. "As a trainer he is much busier than as a player, also often against referees," says Everse. "He sympathizes enormously."

And the fitness of his teams. Van Polen: "The condition that he wants his boys to be fit... he didn't have that before. I don't know if he has ever seen the inside of a weight room." Winks from a former teammate.

'Arne Slot ball'
Yet the trainer Slot never completely lets go of the player Slot. "You sometimes still see things in the game at Feyenoord. The 'Arne Slot ball' still exists with us at PEC," says Van Polen.

The 'Arne Slot ball' is an almost deflected pass behind the last line in one go, which sends a fast winger into the depth, explains the PEC Zwolle captain. Slot perfected him as a player. "Kökcu also wants to give those balls."

Everse recognizes the game that Slot previously taught AZ and now Feyenoord from their Zwolle days. "We also put a lot of pressure and played exactly the same as Feyenoord now. It doesn't surprise me that he plays like that."
Clarity
But the image of Slot as a sweetheart is not entirely correct. He doesn't seem afraid to make a hard decision. Whether it is for the team - Feyenoord captain Jens Toornstra has lost his starting place in recent months. Or for himself - a sudden switch to Feyenoord from AZ.

"I wouldn't have thought it very strange if he had gone to Ajax after all," says Everse. "I think Arne thinks very simply in his own interests. That is very good, because it can also end like that in the football world." But hiding something? Slot doesn't do that.

"What you see is who I am," he said as a brand new AZ coach. "You can also be calm and analyzing and very clear at the same time." Toornstra recognizes that. "He can touch you and motivate you." As a coach, Slot shows his players exactly what he expects from them.

Toornstra already saw at the first meeting that Slot is a good trainer: 'He can hit you'

Van Polen also remembers it from Slot's time as a player. "He is very clear and you should not come to him with nonsense and injustice, he cannot handle that very well. He does not tolerate that well."

"Arne is diplomatic," Everse notes. "He tells what he needs to tell the group and doesn't beat around the bush." Perhaps that is the most important thing that coach Slot picked up during his time as a player: providing clarity. That's exactly what footballers love.

Back
Top Bottom