• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Going back to Anfield is painful

Status
Not open for further replies.
It can hardly be called “ridiculous fees” when another club could and did meet the valuation. More like “market rate” regardless how unpalatable that was to us given how much we had to sell him for....

To me, it's ridiculous to expect us - for him - to screw us on the sale outbound, and then get hosed on the return? And Newcastle were willing to pay a higher salary than us, if I am not mistaken. Anyway. ALL of his own making. Completely the architect of his situation. No pity.

Newcastle fans hate him too. He was finished when he left us, I'm not arsed about the money, but if you play you Manure you get booed.

I thought it was easier to sympathise with him when listening to him talk to Carragher. And it's probably easier to be more generous towards him now the club is where it is. He's an odd character, but he did incredibly well for LFC, and the medical staff of the time are at least partly responsible for wrecking the rest of his career, playing him to help the club in the short term in exchange for damaging him irreparably in the long term. Lots of top players have left, some via far more devious means than Owen, and they still get birthday greetings from the club and an easy ride from the fans, even though they couldn't give a damn about the place. The booing, at least, ought to stop.

Yes, and I always did see his friendship with Carragher as a plus-point, for both of them really.

And yes, he was brilliant for Liverpool.

I've never booed him anyway. Seemed a bit small-time and mean, even if he is a bit weird and on the spectrum

Newcastle fans hate him too. He was finished when he left us, I'm not arsed about the money, but if you play you Manure you get booed.

Yeah, OK, but he got booed by The Kop a little bit even before United.

He came back with Newcastle (we won 2-0) and there was a few decent-natured 'where were you in Istanbul?' chants, but that was only when we were winning, it was a bit more spiteful beforehand.

I wouldn't boo him, I don't remember that match, but I get it. He pissed everyone off. He knew that when he did it, so he can't really moan.

I wouldn't boo him, I don't remember that match, but I get it. He pissed everyone off. He knew that when he did it, so he can't really moan.

I only remember it because it's the only game my wife ever went to, she was heavily pregnant at the time, and I also took her to the King Harry before the game.

Hahahahahaha

Won us the FA Cup... but played for Utd.

Therefore I would never boo him, but he's almost like a disowned family member to me.

I only remember it because it's the only game my wife ever went to, she was heavily pregnant at the time, and I also took her to the King Harry before the game.

Hahahahahaha

I also took my wife to the King Harry on her one time over. Unfortunately that and Anfield were all she saw of Liverpool and it was while strung out from New Years Eve the night before.

Needless to say, returning to Liverpool isnt high on her travel priority list.

There are mitigating aspects to one or two of the things some folks have complained about above IMO. For sure he was worth more than 8 mill when he left, but at least he didn't totally shaft us the way that weasel McMoneyman did previously by leaving for absolutely bugger all, plus the club was culpably naïve in both cases. And yes, I was flabbergasted too when he went to ManUre, but (as others have pointed out) no-one else came in for him.

What stuck in my gullet was how he tried far too hard to disassociate himself from LFC after he went to Old Toilet. There were interviews and publicity statements in which he referred to "the great clubs" he'd played for, and - guess what - LFC wasn't mentioned. There was no need to do that (Ince didn't do it when he came in the other direction) and that's what makes the guy dead to me. I don't wish him ill - I don't wish him anything. Michael who?

To me, it's ridiculous to expect us - for him - to screw us on the sale outbound, and then get hosed on the return? And Newcastle were willing to pay a higher salary than us, if I am not mistaken. Anyway. ALL of his own making. Completely the architect of his situation. No pity.

But to be fair, I don't think Rushie sat down and studied HIS deal with Juventus in forensic detail. It just worked out that we could and did want to buy him back. Salary is pretty irrelevant - the transfer fee was the issue, and Souness wrecked our deal. And Owen went to Newcastle with the clause that we could sign him after a season. Then we didn't want to. Aside from killing himself, what was he supposed to do? Chase after headwands and work for Murdoch? Some get tolerated on here, even creepily revered, with more of a bent moral compass.

Last edited:
I thought it was easier to sympathise with him when listening to him talk to Carragher. And it's probably easier to be more generous towards him now the club is where it is. He's an odd character, but he did incredibly well for LFC, and the medical staff of the time are at least partly responsible for wrecking the rest of his career, playing him to help the club in the short term in exchange for damaging him irreparably in the long term. Lots of top players have left, some via far more devious means than Owen, and they still get birthday greetings from the club and an easy ride from the fans, even though they couldn't give a damn about the place. The booing, at least, ought to stop.

At the beginning of his career with us, pre-injuries, he was one of the most exciting players I'd ever seen, ludicrously fast and a good finisher to boot.

We did have his best years and from what he is saying there he is sorry that he fucked things up... I'd feel sympathetic to an extent as in interviews he does come over as a Liverpool man but loyalty counts among fans more than it does for players clearly and sympathy for a multi-millionaire is hard to muster.

As for his justifications for fucking things up... whatever...

... all that said, beating Arsenal in the FA cup... never ever been as drunk as that at a football match ever... I've got some very happy memories of Owen, booing aint my style.

Owen delusional! We didn't hate him because he moved to Real Madrid, we despised him because he moved to United as soon as Ferguson came calling, you CUNT!

I never liked him because of something he said or was reported, insinuating that he preferred playing alongside Heskey. The blasphemer always belonged in hell since that utterance.

But to be fair, I don't think Rushie sat down and studied HIS deal with Juventus in forensic detail. It just worked out that we could and did want to buy him back. Salary is pretty irrelevant - the transfer fee was the issue, and Souness wrecked our deal. And Owen went to Newcastle with the clause that we could sign him after a season. Then we didn't want to. Aside from killing himself, what was he supposed to do? Chase after headwands and work for Murdoch? Some get tolerated on here, even creepily revered, with more of a bent moral compass.

My memory of this, is that had he held out a little, and forced Real Madrid's hand, AKA shown a little backbone, he could have come back. But he didn't have any backbone and went for Newcastle. I see to remember Benitez's recollection of this as being as such

Last edited:
Whether he’d have ended up back here or not I still can’t understand the madness of going to Newcastle for the sake of a one off tournament. Such a stupid decision.

As if they wouldn’t have taken Owen as well.

His voice must probably be one of the worst ever for adverts.
After listening to that, I bet most people were thinking of jumping of the roof of that tall building, instead of pinging golf balls into the ocean.

Listening to the podcast, I honestly don’t blame Owen for moving to Man United. Compared to the other options available to him at that moment, it was the only choice to make.

Before hearing it from him, I had no sympathy for him. However, it’s time we welcomed back our prodigal son.

Listening to the podcast, I honestly don’t blame Owen for moving to Man United. Compared to the other options available to him at that moment, it was the only choice to make.

Before hearing it from him, I had no sympathy for him. However, it’s time we welcomed back our prodigal son.
Are you on smack?

I just dont care really. Cant be arsed to be hostile, not inclined to welcome him in from the cold. It's too bad really but he just doesnt matter that much. Other than his nauseating voice and lack of personality as a pundit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom