1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
    Dismiss Notice
Why Not Register?

It only takes a few minutes to register on SixCrazyMinutes

Click Here

Everton - Post Match

Discussion in 'The Football Forum' started by Dreambeliever, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Dreambeliever

Dreambeliever From Doubter to Believer -Cashed out to Cashed Up Member

So what do we make of that shambles?

We had some big calls go against us and we deserved to win but I was disappointed we didn’t blow them away after taking that early lead.

VVD going off seemed to really effect our rhythm.

Mane was outstanding as per usual.

2. RedStar

RedStar Well-Known Member

Mane, Salah, Robbo, Thiago and Henderson were all excellent. Really carried the fight to Everton and played some lovely football. Will be a real shame if Thiago faces a lengthy spell on the sidelines, hes pure class.

I didnt see anything from Trent, Gomez or Firmino to suggest they are about to turn around their poor form. Gomez seemed very hesitant and kept letting the ball bounce before dealing with it. His confidence is shot.  Firmino turned in another 4 out of 10 type performance thats become the norm for him. Id start Jota on the right against Ajax and see how he does.

3. KopRed

KopRed Very Active Member

Robbo has to be up there with our best ever in the LB position. He had James in his pocket the entire game. He's relentless and he does it in every match. Arguably Klopp's best signing considering the price paid and where he was before he got here.

Khalido and mark1975 like this.
  4. Dreambeliever

There are a few contenders. Milner, Mane, Salah.

5. Frogfish

Frogfish Gone to Redcafe Member

Adrian - 5 - confidence shot but at least he wasn't to blame for the goals.

Robbo - 7 - not as dominant a performance as some seem to think. Rodriguez played a number of great passes from that side when he should have been shut down. Though we can't have it both ways all the time (Robbo both attacking & defending).

Gomez - 5 - did better than I expected but clearly didn't get on the one player who could pose a danger for the second goal. He was marking an empty space instead of blocking off C-L's run. Are we still playing zone ? It seems like it.

Matip - 7 - did well most of the game, bringing the ball out of defence and playing some nice forward balls. Unlucky not to score - great save from Pickford to deny him. Not at fault for either goal.

TAA - 6 - he's been off for a while, crossing not up to par and defensively culpable. Some nice inter-passing with the midfield though.

Fabinho - 8 - hardly put a foot wrong. Brilliantly breaking up play, winning tackles and instigating attacks. Possibly could have tracked Keane ?

Hendo - 8.5 MotM -  Superb display, he was everywhere doing everything and driving us forward time and again. If only he knew how to finish (cough)!

Thiago - 8 - pure class and part of the 3 man midfield which totally dominated. Hardly a pass went astray, even under extreme pressure, and will make a huge difference in upping our chance creation, that pass for Mane was sublime and it wasn't the only one.

Mane - 8 - attack, defence he was all over the pitch giving them hell with his now trademarked Duracell energy levels. No-one in Everton's defence could handle him alone. So unlucky to have a superb goal (assist) chalked off. Fine goal too.

Firmino - 6 - I'm being to despair. He knits the team together so well when on form but this slump he's in has been going on for too long and his confidence in front of goal looks shot. Time for Jota to give him a break.

Salah - 7 - Superbly taken goal and lots of energy from the front three helped show us what was missing in our forward press at Villa. However he had a number of other mishit/under-hit opportunities.

Subs : Gini/Jota brought on too late to shine.

6. Holle

Holle Ah, fuck that. Member

Keane's header comes from a relative short distance alright.

But I do believe that a decent keeper saves it.

StevieM, jan, tommyboy and 3 others like this.
  7. Frogfish

TBH I think that's a bit harsh. I doubt any keeper's reaction time alone could have saved it from that distance, it was only 5-6m, they'd have needed an element of luck too.

8. Dreambeliever

Are you actually serious? :D

He’s shite handling gave away the corner and then hid tissue paper hands let the ball through.
    T Rex won the battle by a mile.

9. RedStar

RedStar Well-Known Member

You do see them saved sometimes but from that distance its usually luck that makes the difference. Adrian isnt a good keeper but Id find it hard to fault him too much yesterday, he had very little chance with either goal.

10. Frogfish

T Rex won because he had a handful of great shots to save (and he was a lucky bastard to even be on the pitch). I'd rather Adrian played safe than tried to do something he's not capable of - and he didn't concede because of 'tissue paper hands' - he conceded because no-one blocked off one of the very obvious dangers in Keane.

11. Dreambeliever

I must have watched a different game. Adrian was poor, didn’t deal with a number of balls, giving away corners. Was saved by the post at his near post too.

12. Frogfish

Nah. It's confirmation bias - Adrian being shite is imprinted in your brain so anything he does rings that bell no matter what.

13. Stevesquash

Stevesquash Active Member

He had that covered. Had his foot against the post where the ball struck. Imo was actually good keeping.

Think Ali would have saved the 1st to be honest.

At least there were no howlers, also from gomez. Whilst they may not have played up to what we expect or would like, it will have been the start of building some confidence.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that if we're without VVD for a period, it could help Joe and Joel really step up and take responsibility.

Bradley likes this.
  14. Frogfish

Watched the post-match interview and if I closed my eyes I could have sworn I was listening to Owen and not Calvert-Lewin. Accent and voice identical.

Tinto likes this.
  15. tomasjj

tomasjj Well-Known Member

Agree on Adrian. And maybe Alli would have saved the first header.

But Gomez was caught ball watching for the second goal. Lost in no-mans land.

16. tombrown

tombrown Part of the Furniture Member

Yeah - Klopp didnt sign Milner

got red on me likes this.
  17. Bradley

Bradley Well-Known Member

Yeah, I can imagine Klopp sitting down with them both and having a chat around responsibility and this being an opportunity to step out of the shadow.

Hopefully it works out, both are great when on form.

Stevesquash likes this.
  18. Red Bird

Red Bird Very Active Member

Man of the match for me.

Should have won this, poor officiating be damned. .

Alexander Arnold and Firmino still look short of full match rhythm while Gomez was hesitant at some times— he really needs to attack the ball as he’ll not always get the time and space after letting it bounce. I also think we could have done better with the chances we created as we now know most shots at goal that we concede inevitably lead to a goal.  Everton scored pretty much from the good chances it created. We didn’t. And it’s becoming a recurring theme in. There was one particular powder puff shot by Salah straight at Pickford which summed it all up-- these chances need converting.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  19. mark1975

mark1975 Moderator Moderator

How was he saved by the near post? From the angle I saw he had the goal covered and the ball hit the post, I'm not sure what he's to blame for there. I'm not exactly his biggest fan, but yesterday he wasn't really at fault for anything, other than his usual tendency to parry shots into danger areas or out for a corner instead of keeping hold of the ball, which I'm sure on a couple of occasions Allison would have done.

As for your rating of Robertson, that's just ridiculous, he was brilliant. The only thing James could do is cut inside and play cross field balls, for the most part Robbo had him in his pocket. The issue came when he got into more central areas, where he should have then been picked up by the midfield.

darkstarexodus likes this.
  20. Buddha

Buddha Well-Known Member

Are folk serious that Adrian could not have done a whole lot better (ie save the header that passed through his gloves) with the first goal???