• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Chinese "Devil Virus" - anyone worried?

Oh FFS. I was going The Beat Hotel in Marrakech in two weeks. Well now I'm not, they just cancelled.

I guessed they would, but what's the point?

Just paid more than double what we usually pay for our travel insurance. Fucking cunting virus.

Not even going til the end of August so it'll have well blown over by then anyway.

If we could get someone to mind the kids I bet it'd be dirt cheap for a nice break in Italy right now.

Just paid more than double what we usually pay for our travel insurance. Fucking cunting virus.

Not even going til the end of August so it'll have well blown over by then anyway.

If we could get someone to mind the kids I bet it'd be dirt cheap for a nice break in Italy right now.

Couldn't you just wait until the week before you go to get the insurance?

Couldn't you just wait until the week before you go to get the insurance?
Not sure if serious....

I assume not.

But just in case, no, cos in the event I'm wrong about it blowing over before then, if there's an all but essential travel warning between now & then for Spain, then we wouldn't be covered, whereas in this case we would be.

I wanted to book the holiday last September, as we usually do, & we no doubt would have paid way less for the insurance, but there's even more of us going this time (12 not 10) so was a bit more awkward getting dates off work agreed.

Not sure if serious....

I assume not.

But just in case, no, cos in the event I'm wrong about it blowing over before then, if there's an all but essential travel warning between now & then for Spain, then we wouldn't be covered, whereas in this case we would be.

I wanted to book the holiday last September, as we usually do, & we no doubt would have paid way less for the insurance, but there's even more of us going this time (12 not 10) so was a bit more awkward getting dates off work agreed.
Actually if you paid for the holiday / flights by credit card and bought your insurance the week before you go wouldn't that work?

Pretty sure you're better off having your insurance in place as soon as possible, if the government start advising not to go, you won't be covered unless you have your insurance in place before the announcement. Same for cancellations, you need the insurance in place before the cancellation happens.

It's fake news by fake economists. The actual reason the market tanked is because it's the only place left to get a decent return. Everyone has everything invested in equities. It was inevitable. It's also far from over.

All caused by a lack of capitalism and therefore growth.

I reckon we should just let everyone get it and finish with it. I'm bored of this news story, we need another one.

Kid at a primary school less than a quarter of a mile from me has tested positive. Local Facebook groups have gone into bedlam

Not sure if serious....

I assume not.

No, I'm pretty sure we get travel insurance quite near when we leave, but I've never thought that it was to cover cancellations or whatever, I've always seen it as cover for accidents or hospital visits and whatnot when you're actually there. Maybe it's both then.

Wendy does all this stuff, as you can probably tell

I hope they don't start panic buying here, I can't be annoyed fighting anyone over packets of pasta.

Although, if it comes to it I could punch an old doll over 6 beers and a packet of salt and vinegar crisps.

No, I'm pretty sure we get travel insurance quite near when we leave, but I've never thought that it was to cover cancellations or whatever, I've always seen it as cover for accidents or hospital visits and whatnot when you're actually there. Maybe it's both then.

Wendy does all this stuff, as you can probably tell
It doesn't actually cover much in the way of cancellations, which is bizarre, but good ones will cover cancellations when the fco/who gives an 'all but essential travel' warning for a country if the policy is taken out before that warning is given.

Loads only cover when an 'all travel' warning is given. Considering it usually needs to be a war zone before that happens, (Italy has the 'all but essential' one in place now, for example) you want one that covers the other warning level of you what to cover for this coronavirus.

Maybe worth mentioning to Wendy if you a holiday booked. I would vouch for coverwise as having the most likely to pay cover based on their terms & conditions & a specific page detailing their coronavirus cover, after much Googling over the last few days.

Pretty sure you're better off having your insurance in place as soon as possible, if the government start advising not to go, you won't be covered unless you have your insurance in place before the announcement. Same for cancellations, you need the insurance in place before the cancellation happens.
If you buy your flights / holiday with a credit card then that part of the insurance is already in place regardless (so you are fully covered). You then just buy personal insurance (medical/theft etc.) insurance just before you go (though your credit card will also cover some of that - depends which card you have, Amex is far and away the best for most. BTW none of them would have covered epidemics anyway even before this Covid-19 outbreak. If you are in the UK and traveling to the EU I'm guessing you would have reciprocal health agreements so that's covered too.

Last edited:
Hotel I work at just lost a £180,000 booking with a weeks notice. Can see the economy tanking in the short term.

I’m going to Dubai in May and have to pay the balance next week. I think in most cases they will offer a refund, go at a later date or choose another destination (although the Antarctic seems the only safe place).

they're talking about canceling school here next week ... and 1000s are in self-quarantine ...
national airline has fired 1000 people due to lost business etc
Interesting times ahead.

I’m going to Dubai in May and have to pay the balance next week. I think in most cases they will offer a refund, go at a later date or choose another destination (although the Antarctic seems the only safe place).

Yeah, I doubt we've paid the balance on our trip to wherever we are going, so that will be held off for as long as possible.

If you buy your flights / holiday with a credit card then that part of the insurance is already in place regardless (so you are fully covered). You then just buy personal insurance (medical/theft etc.) insurance just before you go (though your credit card will also cover some of that - depends which card you have, Amex is far and away the best for most. BTW none of them would have covered epidemics anyway even before this Covid-19 outbreak. If you are in the EU or UK I'm guessing you would have reciprocal health agreements so that's covered too.

That really depends on the credit card company, it's not a default part of owning a credit card, just a benefit some offer to different levels (and which is obviously paid for though APRs and fees). In general it's worth having a chat to both insurance company and credit card, to see what's covered, they'll be able to clearly call it out, but most people can't be bothered doing that.

Chief government advisor on the bbc was just saying they expect the UK virus infection rate to approx double every 5 days.

I make it that would take us above 3k by the end of this month. Italy went into lockdown mode at about 3k infections.

Chief government advisor on the bbc was just saying they expect the UK virus infection rate to approx double every 5 days.

I make it that would take us above 3k by the end of this month. Italy went into lockdown mode at about 3k infections.
The UK Chief Medical Officer (Witty?) has just said that although the mortality rate of Covid-19 is much higher than the usual flu strains, for the vast majority of people it does not present a serious threat and would only show mild symptoms (if any, as has been already shown around the world). They expect the mortality rate to be under 1% (as stated on Sky News, that I'm watching now, about 30 secs ago).

Pretty much what scientists have been saying for a month.

Ireland is proving my thinking to be correct.

A family of four returned from Northern Italy last week, fully aware they should have self isolated. One of the parents went to work anyway , in the A&E of a fucking hospital, before being confirmed as having coronovirus.

We're doomed

I'm meant to be going to a mate's wedding in NI at the start of May. He had already delayed the big day until after his missus finished her midwifery degree and they had booked the day ages in advance so the next day would be a bank holiday, but they moved the bank holiday to mark the 75 anniversary of VE day. Now this.

Slightly related to all this, the markets are all tanking because of it. @dantes I've liquidated my stocks and shares ISA on the run up to this, and now there's an obvious run on gold as there always is. If I buy physical gold do I start getting stiffed with tax etc? Trading inside the isa for stocks I only get charged the handling fee, I've not bought gold before. I'm think gold has a rough target of around 2250 if this keep up from where it's at.

Slightly related to all this, the markets are all tanking because of it. @dantes I've liquidated my stocks and shares ISA on the run up to this, and now there's an obvious run on gold as there always is. If I buy physical gold do I start getting stiffed with tax etc? Trading inside the isa for stocks I only get charged the handling fee, I've not bought gold before. I'm think gold has a rough target of around 2250 if this keep up from where it's at.

If you invest in gold via an ETF within your ISA then you won't get taxed and will only pay the dealing charge (depending on your provider) and management charge. I wouldn't personally invest in gold, but obviously many people do!

Ireland is proving my thinking to be correct.

A family of four returned from Northern Italy last week, fully aware they should have self isolated. One of the parents went to work anyway , in the A&E of a fucking hospital, before being confirmed as having coronovirus.

We're doomed

Half of the people in every toilet I've been in can't even be arsed washing their hands after a piss.

Back
Top Bottom