• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Chinese "Devil Virus" - anyone worried?

I think FFF is talking more about those little handy pocket-sized gel handwash things that you get in Tesco and smell nice, I would guess the contents of most of those aren't like hospital-grade wall-mounted alcohol-heavy sanitisers.

But they're still better than nothing and not "useless", obvs
I often use those (70% alcohol) when hiking (e.g. Nepal) as they do kill most bacteria & protozoans (which can give you horrible diarrhea). I'm not sure how effective, if at all, they would be against coronaviruses.

Chinese researchers have found that COVID-19 patients may have no fever or CT abnormality, according to a study published in the New England Journal of Medicine recently.

On the whole, fever and cough were the most common symptoms while diarrhea was uncommon, said the article with the renowned respiratory expert Zhong Nanshan as the corresponding author.
About 43.8 percent of the studied patients had a fever when they were admitted to hospital, and the rate rose to 88.7 percent during hospitalization as the disease got severe, it revealed.
The absence of fever in COVID-19 is more frequent than in SARS-CoV and MERS-CoV infection, and such patients may be missed if the surveillance case definition focuses on fever detection, it said.
The study elaborated on the clinical characteristics of COVID-19 infection based on the data of 1,099 laboratory-confirmed patients from 552 hospitals in 30 provinces, autonomous regions and municipalities across China.
On admission, about 56.4 percent of the patients were found with ground-glass opacity on chest computed tomography, it said.
But no radiographic or CT abnormality was found in 157 of 877 patients (17.9 percent) with nonsevere disease and in five of 173 patients (2.9 percent) with severe disease, it revealed.
Lymphocytopenia was observed in most of the patients on admission.
The median age of the studied patients was 47, with a median incubation period of four days, and 41.9 percent of them were female, according to the article.
The fatality rate of the studied cases was 1.4 percent, which is similar to the national official statistics.
Only 1.9 percent of the patients had a history of direct contact with wildlife. Among the nonresidents of Wuhan, 72.3 percent had contact with people from Wuhan, including 31.3 percent who had been to the city.
The study also showed that the virus could be detected in some patients' gastrointestinal tract, saliva and urine, thus it advised that more hygiene protection be taken.
The presence of "super-spreaders" can not be precluded, it said.

The Spanish Flu should be far more famous.

Obviously the Black Death (how odd, also came from SE Asia) is rightly considered one of the Big Daddies of the global pestilence scene, and killed more people, but it was AGES ago.

My office is the first one in the UK to have a confirmed case - fun times!

Alcohol-based sanitizers do work, why the fuck do you think hospitals use them?

Convenience.
Because you don't need a source of water to wash them off like you do soap. That's why they use them.

The effectiveness of soap/water and alcohol based sanitizers is about the same, as long as the sanitizer is at least 65-70% alcohol otherwise you may as well not bother.

My office is the first one in the UK to have a confirmed case - fun times!

What happens? I've got visions of some secretive team of hazmat ninjas coming in and fumigating the site and everyone has to get tested

What happens? I've got visions of some secretive team of hazmat ninjas coming in and fumigating the site and everyone has to get tested

They 'deep cleaned' one floor - and not even the communal areas. Did they think that this person didn't come in the entrance or use any lifts etc?!

Anyway i'm WFH for the rest of the week out of choice then I'll head back in next week.

Yeah my lad just got an email from his uni saying pretty much what your one did. Someone from overseas has got THE VIRUS™ but please DON'T PANIC and we'll be back on to you from our secure offshore location with details soon.

Whereas Ireland's first case is the typical Irish clusterfuck. Teenager gets tested and told he should self isolate, instead he goes to some musical practice for a school band / choir / orchestra and an hour afterwards he gets his positive test results.

The HSE (health service executive) send letters to those who attended the practice telling them to self isolate.

The Minister for Health claims its all a hoax. 100% incorrect.

The HSE are refusing to give any specific details to the general public so they might some indication of whether they have come into contact with a carrier. They're terrified people might actually come to a hospital and hospitals simply can't cope with the prospect of sick people needing treatment

It's good to see that the UK are dealing with this as efficiently & effectively as they deal with everything else.

AADe0dAAAOQ4.jpg

*are

Whereas Ireland's first case is the typical Irish clusterfuck. Teenager gets tested and told he should self isolate, instead he goes to some musical practice for a school band / choir / orchestra and an hour afterwards he gets his positive test results.

The HSE (health service executive) send letters to those who attended the practice telling them to self isolate.

The Minister for Health claims its all a hoax. 100% incorrect.

The HSE are refusing to give any specific details to the general public so they might some indication of whether they have come into contact with a carrier. They're terrified people might actually come to a hospital and hospitals simply can't cope with the prospect of sick people needing treatment

EVERYBODY PANIC!!!!

Yeah my lad just got an email from his uni saying pretty much what your one did. Someone from overseas has got THE VIRUS™ but please DON'T PANIC and we'll be back on to you from our secure offshore location with details soon.

Allow me to finish that off, "in addition, if you just need someone to talk to our chaplaincy is a resource for the whole community of all faiths"

I don't see the point in panicking, I'm pretty comfortable with the fact that I will inevitably get it.

That's because whether I get it is much more dependant on the actions of others than my own so there's fuck all I can do it about it. I guarantee you 7 out of 10 Irish people would have done exactly what that kid did.

I don't see the point in panicking, I'm pretty comfortable with the fact that I will inevitably get it.

That's because whether I get it is much more dependant on the actions of others than my own so there's fuck all I can do it about it. I guarantee you 7 out of 10 Irish people would have done exactly what that kid did.

You could "self-isolate" with a month supply of nuggets.

Yup exactly how I see it, couldn’t give a toss. Gotta die some day.

With the classic irish "it'll be grand."

Looks like the UK might be about to enter phase 2 of the plan due to infected number now being up to 90.

Phase 2 proposes possible "banning big events, closing schools, encouraging people to work from home and dissuading the use of public transport."

Fuck me, going to cause carnage if they did all of that.

Looks like the UK might be about to enter phase 2 of the plan due to infected number now being up to 90.

Phase 2 proposes possible "banning big events, closing schools, encouraging people to work from home and dissuading the use of public transport."

Fuck me, going to cause carnage if they did all of that.
Phase 3 (research its origins) is even more interesting .. and rather weird as far as progression is concerned as they make it seem like there's not going to be any deep delving until you've got through phases 1 & 2 ! Not sure how that can actually help anything. Did no-one actually notice that shit ?

Phase 3 (research its origins) is even more interesting .. and rather weird as far as progression is concerned as they make it seem like there's not going to be any deep delving until you've got through phases 1 & 2 ! Not sure how that can actually help anything. Did no-one actually notice that shit ?

Agreed.

I'm no virologist, and I can't pretend to be an expert in emerging global pandemics, but I'd deffo think about shifting the priorities a bit, and put some early thought into "research and origins" part of the phasing, while there's people still alive.

The way it's worded though is more of an emphasis of coming up with new alternatives on top of what is currently in place:

[article]
Experts are constantly monitoring and researching the virus with the aim of reducing its impact.
Research takes various forms including looking into new diagnostic tests, drugs to treat Covid-19, preventative vaccines, and coming up with the best course of care for people affected.
[/article]

Granted, I feel they might have padded out their phases with phase 3 as it's a given regardless.

Would love to know what the fuck porton down are upto with all this and what their role is. Would be like a large scale cyber attack and the ncsc and gchq washing their hands of it.

Back
Top Bottom