• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Centre-back search

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isnt it interesting that for the best part of two years, of the 8 billion people on this earth, only one could potentially play in central midfield for us. All of a sudden, there are more.

I'm beginning to think I have a chance of making it now.

Apparently has a release clause of £77m (can see Man City signing him if Laporta leaves)

FvmRLs2XoAEgDRE

[article]
Liverpool: Klopp can kickstart rebuild with Kevin Danso

BYREBEKKA ARNOLD
PUBLISHED 20 HOURS AGO

The Lens defender could be the perfect addition in Jurgen Klopp's rebuild.

Liverpool could be set for a transformative transfer window this summer after a troubling Premier League campaign and now a new report has emerged about the club's scouts being sent to France to watch potential targets.
What's the latest on Liverpool's interest in Kevin Danso?

According to 90min, Liverpool scouts were in attendance for Lens' victory over Marseille last weekend to watch Kevin Danso, Seko Fofana and Lois Openda.
As per the report, the Reds are joined by Manchester United, Newcastle United, Aston Villa and Wolverhampton Wanderers in their interest in Danso, with Liverpool keen to add defensive reinforcements this summer.

Would Kevin Danso be a good signing for Liverpool?

There is no doubt that big changes are needed at Anfield if they are going to return to the highest level both domestically and on the European stage.
Bolstering key areas of the pitch and providing Jurgen Klopp with players who can become part of the next generation of success at Anfield will surely be the highest priority for the powerbrokers at the club and the signing of Danso could be a fantastic place to start.
Indeed, the Reds acquired the services of young centre-back Ibrahima Konate in 2021, however, with Virgil van Dijk and Joel Matip both well into their 30s at this point, it would be beneficial for the club to continue searching for young defenders to replace them.
Over 34 Ligue One appearances, the 6 foot 3 titan has tallied up a phenomenal haul of 14 clean sheets, all while amassing a pass completion rate of 90% and registering two assists.
From a defensive point of view, the centre-back has managed one interception, 1.1 tackles, 3.5 clearances, and won 5.5 duels won per game.
Not only that, Danso ranks in the top 20% of his positional peers across the top five European leagues for shots on goal, shot-creating actions, pass completion and successful take-ons, proving that he is a huge presence and one of the hottest prospects in Europe.
The £23m-rated talent has been lavished with praise for his outstanding contributions in France this season, with Lens head coach Frank Haise claiming:
"He is a leader by nature. This role suits him wonderfully and he fulfils it with much enthusiasm. Kevin is a top professional. Every day in training, he is very serious.
"Kevin is now one of the best central defenders in Ligue 1, but also in Europe.
"He has developed into a complete defender who is not only strong in the air but also has good technique with few mistakes in his build-up play and very clean passing."
With that being said, Danso would be a great addition to the Liverpool squad this summer in their efforts to add young talent into the team and could be the perfect replacement for Van Dijk in the future.
[/article]

You want to trust Fabinho another season? He has been decent the last few games but with his rate of physical deterioration, I am not sure we can depend on him. we are stuck with him and his 180k per week contract for another three years. I guess we can use him sparingly and in specific situations but that will require another CM.

I have a theory about this.

To me, it’s no surprise he’s started to look “better” since Trent has moved into that “in possession” midfield position, Gakpo has come into the team & Konate’s back from injury.

I think we tried to play like we currently are now at the start of the season - with the 2 more attacking midfielders drifting out wide (this would be Harvey & Thiago mainly) with Fabs & Hendo often filling the central more defensive role, Nunez up top and Matip/Gomez at RCB.

I don’t think we had enough time to perfect the change pre-season and injuries created additional problems.

Nunez was staying high and not dropping back into MF, Matip/Gomez weren’t covering in behind Trent well, Van Dijk wasn’t coming across so there were huge gaps between CBs, Harvey, especially was driving out wide to support Salah, Trent was caught between pushing forward and inside with his defensive responsibilities.

The end result was that Fabs was isolated in the centre with too much to cover in a team that wasn’t well oiled enough in the new system.

I think they’ve really worked hard at making it work on the training ground and you can see the confidence and trust in the system and everyone’s positioning starting to come back.

Gakpo comes deep for Diaz/Jota/Nunez & Salah to not only move inside but Gakpo covers the space in front of Fabs meaning he doesn’t have to be so high up the pitch and deep sitting midfielders aren’t getting as much time on the ball in front of him that he needs to close down. Curtis & Hendo/Harvey are providing width but also linking with a deeper Gakpo meaning Fabs can nip in if anyone breaks that line.

Konate is the best we have at RCB at covering in behind Trent and Trent is another body in MF to support Fabs when he comes inside to get on the ball from a deep position.

Fells like Fabs is also working better with Van Dijk now - Big Virg goes more central when Robbo holds his defensive position, by when Robbo pushes on Virg has to drift left to cover in behind - so Fabs needs to drop a little deeper to plug the gap between CBs - which he can do if Trent & Gakpo are around - Fabs was getting caught and bypassed too high up the pitch earlier in the season because no-one wS occupying the space in front of him (from our team).

It’s not perfect and it’s not working entirely smoothly yet, but if we keep working on it and bring in replacements for the more foward MF roles - there’s reason to believe we won’t see as bad a season from Fabs next season.

We’re really looking for Thiago & Hendo replacements, with Hendo moving to a more Milner like role and Curtis & Harvey offering back up. Badger-Tits can offer back up to Fabs.

That’s why Mac Allistar & Gravenberch make sense in my mind.

All for letting Thiago go to Barca if he wants.

Depending on costs, etc - bringing in a DM would also be great this season - but I’d rather look at a CB, this summer if we’re limited.

I have a theory about this.

To me, it’s no surprise he’s started to look “better” since Trent has moved into that “in possession” midfield position, Gakpo has come into the team & Konate’s back from injury.

I think we tried to play like we currently are now at the start of the season - with the 2 more attacking midfielders drifting out wide (this would be Harvey & Thiago mainly) with Fabs & Hendo often filling the central more defensive role, Nunez up top and Matip/Gomez at RCB.

I don’t think we had enough time to perfect the change pre-season and injuries created additional problems.

Nunez was staying high and not dropping back into MF, Matip/Gomez weren’t covering in behind Trent well, Van Dijk wasn’t coming across so there were huge gaps between CBs, Harvey, especially was driving out wide to support Salah, Trent was caught between pushing forward and inside with his defensive responsibilities.

The end result was that Fabs was isolated in the centre with too much to cover in a team that wasn’t well oiled enough in the new system.

I think they’ve really worked hard at making it work on the training ground and you can see the confidence and trust in the system and everyone’s positioning starting to come back.

Gakpo comes deep for Diaz/Jota/Nunez & Salah to not only move inside but Gakpo covers the space in front of Fabs meaning he doesn’t have to be so high up the pitch and deep sitting midfielders aren’t getting as much time on the ball in front of him that he needs to close down. Curtis & Hendo/Harvey are providing width but also linking with a deeper Gakpo meaning Fabs can nip in if anyone breaks that line.

Konate is the best we have at RCB at covering in behind Trent and Trent is another body in MF to support Fabs when he comes inside to get on the ball from a deep position.

Fells like Fabs is also working better with Van Dijk now - Big Virg goes more central when Robbo holds his defensive position, by when Robbo pushes on Virg has to drift left to cover in behind - so Fabs needs to drop a little deeper to plug the gap between CBs - which he can do if Trent & Gakpo are around - Fabs was getting caught and bypassed too high up the pitch earlier in the season because no-one wS occupying the space in front of him (from our team).

It’s not perfect and it’s not working entirely smoothly yet, but if we keep working on it and bring in replacements for the more foward MF roles - there’s reason to believe we won’t see as bad a season from Fabs next season.

We’re really looking for Thiago & Hendo replacements, with Hendo moving to a more Milner like role and Curtis & Harvey offering back up. Badger-Tits can offer back up to Fabs.

That’s why Mac Allistar & Gravenberch make sense in my mind.

All for letting Thiago go to Barca if he wants.

Depending on costs, etc - bringing in a DM would also be great this season - but I’d rather look at a CB, this summer if we’re limited.

Excellent post. You have been pointing out the center forward not pressing and providing enough defensive cover for the midfield for quite some time now. I agree with you on all the things you pointed out but specifically that aspect also. That is the aspect Nunez will have to improve a lot by next season for him to find a place in Klopp's Liverpool.

that is what Firmino did so well. Gakpo also does it, and links play. Happy days, as this spreads out into the other parts of the team.

If we've got no money, we shouldn't be spending on a CB. The depth there, including Gomez and Nat, is still better than what's happening in midfield.

Maybe not at £50m, but at £27m I'd definitely consider him.

Cub Captain of Crystal Palace under Vieira at 22 years old, strong, plays both left and right CB and a good calm head. What's not to like?

Maybe not at £50m, but at £27m I'd definitely consider him.

Cub Captain of Crystal Palace under Vieira at 22 years old, strong, plays both left and right CB and a good calm head. What's not to like?

How average he is?

English 22, plays as Captain for CP.... not sure why people think he isn't worth £50m intodays inflated market?

He's a decent player and at 22 could improve. 50m can fuck off however

English 22, plays as Captain for CP.... not sure why people think he isn't worth £50m intodays inflated market?
And herein lies the problem.

He's just not very good, not dominant enough & certainly not good enough to play out the back.

And herein lies the problem.

He's just not very good.

I wouldn't say that the bolded bit was a problem. A lot of our best have come from mediocre to average sides who took the step up.

I wouldn't have a problem signing him potentially, but the fee is ludicrous. I'd be going for colwill for cheaper

Colwill won't be cheaper.

AWB went for £50m, and Fofana went for £70m. so Palace (and everyone else) have figured out you can really take the piss when ripping buyers off for good young defenders with experience in the PL.

Colwill isn't moving for less than £80m imo.

80m lol.

Reality check - not every player is worth what Chelsea would pay....and given he's a Chelsea player....they can't pay 80m for 1 of their own.

Madrid PSG would never pay that, & I don't think Utd will again either after what they got with Maguire.

Every time I’ve seen Koulibaly he has looked a bit dodgy, would make sense for them to shift him and keep Colwill

Guehi,Colwill,and the one playing for Milan are all Chelsea rejects and not good enough center backs. Why are we being linked with them.

Guehi,Colwill,and the one playing for Milan are all Chelsea rejects and not good enough center backs. Why are we being linked with them.
Because we're in love with Chelsea rejects.

Can't wait until we sign Gallagher Mount & Guehi.

I honestly don't see how chelsea reject is genuinely being used as a pejorative

Salah, de bruyne, Lukaku, Sturridge, Thorgan Hazard, Matic (first time round); all rejects. All good-great.

There's value in chelsea, which more often than not they don't see themselves

I honestly don't see how chelsea reject is genuinely being used as a pejorative

Salah, de bruyne, Lukaku, Sturridge, Thorgan Hazard, Matic (first time round); all rejects. All good-great.

There's value in chelsea, which more often than not they don't see themselves

Dominic Solanke. Well, he was shit for us but didn't he net us 20 million?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom