1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
    Dismiss Notice
Why Not Register?

It only takes a few minutes to register on SixCrazyMinutes

Click Here

Assuming Big Virg is out for 6+ months

Discussion in 'The Football Forum' started by LeTallecWiz, Oct 17, 2020.

?

What are your expectations for the season going forward?

21 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Challenge for League but fall short

13 vote(s)
    20.6%
  3. Top 4

21 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Struggle for Top 4

8 vote(s)
    12.7%
  1. moron

moron i am legend Member

Did we not do something similar under Rafa ? Turned out shit right ?

2. Frogfish

Frogfish Gone to Redcafe Member

Garay : 1.88 / 34 yo. Released by Valencia after 4 yrs. Wages £4m.

WhoScored :

+ Strengths

Blocking the ball - Very Strong
    Concentration - Strong

- Weaknesses

Tackling - Weak
    Ezequiel Garay's Style of Play

Does not dive into tackles
    Clears the ball out of defence often

3. King Binny

King Binny Very Well-Known Honorary Member

:(

1:29 min:

4. HC

HC Very Well-Known Member

I'd heard , although this was all based of the statement the club made using the word 'ligaments' rather than the singular 'ligament' that they fear it's his MCL and ACL which could obviously put in him in that camp of post serious injury players who can't accelerate ,leap , challenge the way theyve always done for an extensive period of time/ ever

That is all based of the semantics of the club's statement and I have no doubt an ultra elite sportsman will have the kitchen sink and as many horse placentas as it takes to make him right

5. Hansern

Hansern SCM Addict Member

Loads of players have had ACL injuries or similar and come back from it at the same level. Virgil has the best available to him from sports scientists and rehabilitation programs and support.
    Dont think there is anything to worry about.
    But he wont be back until next season. That much is clear.

6. Farkmaster

Farkmaster Very Well-Known Member

There's obviously something to worry about. It's the thing we're all worried about.

iseered, jan, gene hughes and 4 others like this.
  7. My_Blood_Bleeds_Red

My_Blood_Bleeds_Red Well-Known Member

No malice my arse.

8. Hansern

Obivously related to everything around the injury and the effect it has on us as a team. I meant more in terms of some comments made by Ornstein to create likes and views on his podcast.

9. dmishra

dmishra Very Well-Known Member

We can only hope for the best. It's the sort of injury that could completely change the course of the next 4 years under Klopp. I really did expect us to win multiple trophies with this squad till 2024. The quality of the group in general is outstanding and we supplemented it well this summer. van Dijk is a crucial crucial part of it though - literally the best defender in the world - along with Alisson, he was completely transformative for this squad of players.

Now we'll get through this season in some way, but it's difficult to see us win either the league or the CL without him. That's not the end of the world because this group of players is still young enough to have another 2-3 year window of contention. But for that, we really do need to have him come back and be at least 90% as good as he was. There have been a few sportsmen (at least in recent years) who've come back from gruesome knee injuries and still played at a very high level. So here's hoping that his name is added to that list of players.

10. Hansern

Zlatan did his at 35..

When Zlatan Ibrahimovic made his return from an ACL injury last weekend, he declared that ‘lions don’t recover like humans’. But a new surgical technique could be behind the striker’s miraculous seven-month recovery and is set to accelerate the rehabilitation of a host of other Premier League stars.

An ACL injury typically sidelines a player for nine months – but can take even longer depending on the severity of the injury. “The traditional way to repair the damaged knee involves removing part of a player’s hamstring and using that to create a new ACL,” says consultant orthopedic surgeon, Mark Frame. “It takes a long time for it to fuse to the bone and to restore strength in the hamstrings and quadriceps, because they’re inactive for so long during this process.

However, knee surgeons are now able to use a different type of operation, which could get players back on the pitch faster. “Advances in keyhole surgery mean we can repair the existing ACL, using a technique known as an arthrex internal brace repair, rather than taking tissue from the hamstring,” says Frame. “We can also place it back in its original position, which reduces the amount of bone which needs removing and hardware implanting. A number of Premier League players have had this type of surgery and have returned quicker."

rurikbird, JurgenKlopp and Frogfish like this.
  11. dmishra

dmishra Very Well-Known Member

I think Tom Brady came back from an ACL + MCL tear, and still played at a very high level?

12. tombrown

tombrown Part of the Furniture Member

Pellegrini

13. Judge Jules

Judge Jules SCM Addict Member

On Brady, it depends whom you ask. There are those who say Brady mostly just stood there looking pretty while Belichick did the real work.

On Prickford, I actually agree there wasn't malice involved. I don't reckon he stopped to think that far - he just reacted and didn't give a stuff how it all ended up. That's more than enough for him to have been banned and it's a total scandal that he's getting away with it.

14. tombrown

tombrown Part of the Furniture Member

Its a disgrace he wasn't banned, but I couldn't care less in the end. Retrospective bans are of no benefit to the club that suffered from the instance and potentially only benefits rival clubs over the next 3 matches (though in Pickford's case that is obviously debateable). If a retrospective punishment affected the result of the match in question (such as a one goal adjustment in the final score line) then I'd be all over it

15. Hass

Hass Well-Known Member

Fake news mate. Look further down on the tweet.

16. Hass

Hass Well-Known Member

Fake news[​IMG]

17. King Binny

King Binny Very Well-Known Honorary Member

Opps, fell for it. :oops:

18. Hansern

Brady is still going strong in Tampa Bay, and Belichick isnt there ;)

19. JurgenKlopp

JurgenKlopp Well-Known Member

Ah, good old arthrex. As a physio they came to a NHS trust I was working in at the time several years ago showing various surgical pieces of equipment. I remember messing about with a knee model and using their brace repair synthetic grafts and to simulate a ACL repair and then checking the tension of repair in all directions. It was a very good.

Medical studies have been positive. As much as speeding up the recovery phases has been important such as not having to use the hamstring or even patella tendon, therefore not impacting on the function of the hamstrings or quads. The main issue of rehabilitation is actually the gradual increased loading of the graft and then incorporating functional rehabilitation to that. It is all about milestones and key markers before progressing to next phases. The hardest aspect of treatment is the psychological impact on the player and even on those around him (team mates etc...)

If it is just ACL I suspect VVD will be back just as he was. However, it can be more tricky as you would expect if multiple ligaments are involved such as with Ox. He was a longer lay off and as we have seen has found it difficult when he has returned

20. gkmacca

gkmacca SCM Addict Member

Ancelotti has been a disgrace. He's trying the old trick of suggesting VVD injured one of his players prior to the Pickford challenge. It's taken him the best part of a week to 'remember' that. Classless from him, who is usually better than that.

tomasjj likes this.