• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poll Assuming Big Virg is out for 6+ months

Prefix for Poll Threads

What are your expectations for the season going forward?

Votes: 21 33.3%
  • Challenge for League but fall short

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • Top 4

Votes: 21 33.3%
  • Struggle for Top 4

Votes: 8 12.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
On Brady, it depends whom you ask. There are those who say Brady mostly just stood there looking pretty while Belichick did the real work.

On Prickford, I actually agree there wasn't malice involved. I don't reckon he stopped to think that far - he just reacted and didn't give a stuff how it all ended up. That's more than enough for him to have been banned and it's a total scandal that he's getting away with it.

Its a disgrace he wasn't banned, but I couldn't care less in the end. Retrospective bans are of no benefit to the club that suffered from the instance and potentially only benefits rival clubs over the next 3 matches (though in Pickford's case that is obviously debateable). If a retrospective punishment affected the result of the match in question (such as a one goal adjustment in the final score line) then I'd be all over it

Fake news
04b94e8f0a705af611660dab8c7e560b.jpg

On Brady, it depends whom you ask. There are those who say Brady mostly just stood there looking pretty while Belichick did the real work.

On Prickford, I actually agree there wasn't malice involved. I don't reckon he stopped to think that far - he just reacted and didn't give a stuff how it all ended up. That's more than enough for him to have been banned and it's a total scandal that he's getting away with it.

Brady is still going strong in Tampa Bay, and Belichick isnt there ;)

Zlatan did his at 35..

When Zlatan Ibrahimovic made his return from an ACL injury last weekend, he declared that ‘lions don’t recover like humans’. But a new surgical technique could be behind the striker’s miraculous seven-month recovery and is set to accelerate the rehabilitation of a host of other Premier League stars.

An ACL injury typically sidelines a player for nine months – but can take even longer depending on the severity of the injury. “The traditional way to repair the damaged knee involves removing part of a player’s hamstring and using that to create a new ACL,” says consultant orthopedic surgeon, Mark Frame. “It takes a long time for it to fuse to the bone and to restore strength in the hamstrings and quadriceps, because they’re inactive for so long during this process.

However, knee surgeons are now able to use a different type of operation, which could get players back on the pitch faster. “Advances in keyhole surgery mean we can repair the existing ACL, using a technique known as an arthrex internal brace repair, rather than taking tissue from the hamstring,” says Frame. “We can also place it back in its original position, which reduces the amount of bone which needs removing and hardware implanting. A number of Premier League players have had this type of surgery and have returned quicker."

Ah, good old arthrex. As a physio they came to a NHS trust I was working in at the time several years ago showing various surgical pieces of equipment. I remember messing about with a knee model and using their brace repair synthetic grafts and to simulate a ACL repair and then checking the tension of repair in all directions. It was a very good.

Medical studies have been positive. As much as speeding up the recovery phases has been important such as not having to use the hamstring or even patella tendon, therefore not impacting on the function of the hamstrings or quads. The main issue of rehabilitation is actually the gradual increased loading of the graft and then incorporating functional rehabilitation to that. It is all about milestones and key markers before progressing to next phases. The hardest aspect of treatment is the psychological impact on the player and even on those around him (team mates etc...)

If it is just ACL I suspect VVD will be back just as he was. However, it can be more tricky as you would expect if multiple ligaments are involved such as with Ox. He was a longer lay off and as we have seen has found it difficult when he has returned

Ancelotti has been a disgrace. He's trying the old trick of suggesting VVD injured one of his players prior to the Pickford challenge. It's taken him the best part of a week to 'remember' that. Classless from him, who is usually better than that.

Ancelotti has been a disgrace. He's trying the old trick of suggesting VVD injured one of his players prior to the Pickford challenge. It's taken him the best part of a week to 'remember' that. Classless from him, who is usually better than that.

A week to remember, after letting the player play on for 80 min in a derby

Agreed. He was a classy player and has mostly been a classy manager but he's let himself down over this. That club's ruined some decent players in its time. Pity they're extending their scope.

Klopp confirmed he had the ACL surgery in London, and it was a success.
Lets hope for a speedy recovery.

I don't think we're gonna be taking chances with his recovery. Despite the normal recovery time being 6 months, meaning he'd be back in the beginning of May, he'll probably sit out the entire season. However, the Dutch national team might pick him for the Euros.

I don't think we're gonna be taking chances with his recovery. Despite the normal recovery time being 6 months, meaning he'd be back in the beginning of May, he'll probably sit out the entire season. However, the Dutch national team might pick him for the Euros.
This is big Virg we are talking about. Mid January.

Ha, indeed but at 29 I don’t see a speedy recovery of him ever getting back his pace.
Wasn't Ruud van Nistelrooy 28 when he damaged his? He came back ok, and treatment has evolved since then. Definitely a concern though.

Ha, indeed but at 29 I don’t see a speedy recovery of him ever getting back his pace.
I don't think our medical team mess around when it comes to knee injuries. Obviously Ox and VD have very different roles in the team but Ox was kept out far longer than I thought he would when he was injured.
Also, I read something about players who return from knee injuries being at risk of injuring their other knee as well. Happened to Ings, happened to that Italian player too, Zanolo or something.

Personally, I think it's better to let VD take his time. It's a mental thing too.

Wasn't Ruud van Nistelrooy 28 when he damaged his? He came back ok, and treatment has evolved since then. Definitely a concern though.

Nope he was 24/25, same thing with Ings and even Ox, a lot younger. At 29 you are just on the edge of decline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom