• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Aspen cilla A 13 may (8.pm)

Way back when we won all the shiny things we could leave Virgil on his own against the lone opposition in our half. That’s because we just absolutely suffocated the opposition across the rest of the pitch. We no longer do that which makes the opposition braver and push more players higher up the pitch. Yet we still leave ourselves open at the back and get punished.
True,true :)

It may have made very little difference to where we finished position wise, So why did we not give those players like Nunez, Jones,Konate, Tsimikas, Bajcetic, Bradley and Gravenberch the start... Yes some may be coming back from injuries but he could have started others

Defence is the whole team.

From the pressing up top, to the midfielders cutting off lines, to the defenders marking their men.

We need to defend better as a team. As opposed to picking out individuals or just the 5 at the back.
I agree. While the attack did miss chances across a number of games the idea that if they had been better we’d have won the league, in my opinion is a load of bollox.

I agree. While the attack did miss chances across a number of games the idea that if they had been better we’d have won the league, in my opinion is a load of bollox.
So you are saying that if the strikers had scored all those gilt edge chances against Man U, Man City, Palace, Arsenal etc, turned those draws and losses into wins and garnered a load more points while our rivals had less we wouldn't have won the league

They're both reasons we lost the league. If we weren't wasteful, some of those draws could be wins. If we weren't complacent, we wouldn't have conceded to lose games.

Neither being good enough is not a complete shock. Problem is, everyone agreed we needed a CB and a better DM. Everyone hoped the forwards would click.

Every earlier version of VVD, Trent, Robbo Gomez at CB and Matip were better than the current versions.

Right… just so I’m clear here… these better defenders that we used to have… are the same ones we currently have.

Right… just so I’m clear here… these better defenders that we used to have… are the same ones we currently have.
If you don’t see the distinction between where those players are now compared their younger versions then there is zero point discussing it.

Gomez has had the same abilities and the same flaws forever. He used to be a bit faster. He still doesn't like any ball in the air, and can't track anything over his head. We just used to have more control in general and the defense wasn't isolated all the time with so much to do.

The rest of them were all better, yes.

If you give the younger versions the same situations, they'd look worse though. No defense likes to be running at their goal playing man for man, and we do it a lot. It's a systemic thing.

Back
Top Bottom