• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Ancelotti sacked

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluebell

Well-Known
Carlo Ancelotti: Napoli sack manager despite Champions League progression

Sharethis page
_110085103_ancelotti.jpg

Carlo Ancelotti led Napoli to second in Serie A last season but they have struggled this term
Napoli have sacked manager Carlo Ancelotti less than three hours after he guided them into the Champions League knockout stages.
The Serie A club had not won in nine games in all competitions until Tuesday's 4-0 success at home to Genk.
Ancelotti was in his second season in charge of Napoli but they sit seventh in the league after that poor run.
They are the only team to beat Liverpool in 90 minutes this season, defeating the Reds 2-0 in September.
Last month the manager and Napoli players were in a high-profile dispute with president Aurelio de Laurentiis.
De Laurentiis ordered the team to attend a week-long training camp but Ancelotti and his players all returned home.
Ancelotti, who won the Premier League and FA Cup Double with Chelsea in 2009-10, has been linked with the vacant managers' jobs at Arsenal and Everton.
He is one of only three managers to win three European Cups/Champions Leagues - along with Liverpool legend Bob Paisley and current Real Madrid boss Zinedine Zidane.
Ancelotti won two Champions Leagues with AC Milan and one with Real Madrid, as well as domestic titles with Milan, Chelsea, Paris St-Germain and Bayern Munich.
He did not appear to know an announcement was imminent after the win over Genk, when he said: "I'll speak to president De Laurentiis tomorrow and we'll make the best decision for Napoli.
"As far as I'm concerned, with certain players coming back and the right conditions in place, this team can still target fourth place.
"The win tonight is a weight off our shoulders and can give the players a big boost for the future."
But a tweet later that evening simply read: "SSC Napoli has taken the decision to part ways with first-team coach Carlo Ancelotti.
"The friendship and mutual respect between the club, president Aurelio de Laurentiis and Carlo Ancelotti remain intact."
Reports in the Italian media suggest that Gennaro Gattuso, sacked by AC Milan at the end of last season, has been lined up as Ancelotti's replacement.

They've only won 5 of their 15 games in the Serie A?
Is it a surprise though considering the behaviour of de Laurentiis ? If there are extenuating circumstances (injuries to key players) then it seems ridiculous, but in keeping with de Laurentiis' paranoia this season, to dismiss a manager of Ancelotti's standing.

So Gattuso to replace Ancelotti? Like that's going to work out well. Have they not seen where AC Milan is right now?

That's Everton's chance, surely?

I can already see lots of beautiful murals throughout the city!

As I said in the other thread, Arsenal would be crazy not to throw everything behind getting Ancelotti. He's an excellent coach and tactician.

He took Klopp to school twice this year. He's still got it, I'm afraid.
I dont mean he cant be an effective manager but that he seems to now be a 1 or 2 year seat filler as opposed to a long term team builder. Maybe if he gets the right club, but I'm not sure he wants long term projects like Everton or Arsenal.

I dont mean he cant be an effective manager but that he seems to now be a 1 or 2 year seat filler as opposed to a long term team builder. Maybe if he gets the right club, but I'm not sure he wants long term projects like Everton or Arsenal.
There's no way he would touch Everton with a ten foot pole. However, Arsenal are a storied old club, and I think he would imagine he could work there effectively. Nice London pad, the promise of a few quid for defenders, and he's good to go.

There's no way he would touch Everton with a ten foot pole. However, Arsenal are a storied old club, and I think he would imagine he could work there effectively. Nice London pad, the promise of a few quid for defenders, and he's good to go.
But would he stay for more than 2 years? I cant see it, I can see him going there winning 1 or 2 trophies and moving on.

But would he stay for more than 2 years? I cant see it, I can see him going there winning 1 or 2 trophies and moving on.
He has been working for volatile owners. As he said at Napoli, right up until the end, "I will never ever resign a project", or something like that. I could see Arsenal letting him get his feet under the table and allowing him to crack on with a four year deal.

He won the Bundersliga, would you say that's a flop
It's hardly a ringing endorsement, Bayern have won the title 14 years out of the last 20, winning the title would be the minimum requirement for a new manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom