• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

World Cup meh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seconded. Durham and Gough, TalkSh!te's answer to Laurel and Hardy, were banging the Sterling drum earlier on Drivetime, saying he'd scored loads for City, when someone phoned in and cut their water straight off by reminding them that when he plays for City he has De Bruyne and Silva serving up his chances for him.
...of which he misses about 80%

To clarify...I enjoy the World Cup, it’s just I can’t get behind the national team as it’s made up of players I can’t stand week to week.

My favourite non-Liverpool game was in the 82 finals...Brazil v Italy. That Brazil team was a joy to watch.

To clarify...I enjoy the World Cup, it’s just I can’t get behind the national team as it’s made up of players I can’t stand week to week.

My favourite non-Liverpool game was in the 82 finals...Brazil v Italy. That Brazil team was a joy to watch.
I was just about to pose the question, " What is your favourite World Cup game?"
That one is mine too.
Paulo Rossi broke my heart that day the cheating bastard.

But that result... Would have loved to have seen Socrates et al win it.

Still, the France-Germany semi and the Tardelli goal (celebrations) were excellent.

When I was a kid my dream was to score the winning goal in the FA cup final for Liverpool.
It was all I cared about. That FA Cup magic.

And thenI saw the world cup in Mexico in 1986 and everything changed.

Id seen 1982 but wasnt old enough to really get it. 86 was my world cup.
It was so amazing. The dry grassy pitches in The Lying Rag, the players I had never heard of, the commentary, the music, the goals, just the whole fucking theatre of it all.
I was hooked.
1990 was amazing
1994 I wasnt keen on, the games were so late and England werent there.
1998 was brilliant
2002 was good fun although weird times. I took 5 weeks off work to watch the whole fucking thing.
It hasnt felt the same since 2002.
Im hoping this one is special.
I feel like the spirit of Vasily Rats will be shining on me.

I still, STILL get the fucking wallchart. Still plan my time around games.
I LOVE a world cup
The first WC that I really remember is the 1978 WC. I was fucking mesmerized.
82 was good, and so was 86. That set me up to love World Cups for the rest of my life I think.
Us older chaps seem to like them better than the young uns.

Yeah but years ago it would be the first time you'd seen 90% of the players. Now it's just rammed full of nobheads you hate from the CL
That's what nostalgia is for though, isn't it?

Not that fussed about this, unlike previous years. I'll be following Les Bleus though. Some talent Deschamp has at his disposal.

Last edited:
I was just about to pose the question, " What is your favourite World Cup game?"
That one is mine too.
Paulo Rossi broke my heart that day the cheating bastard.
Bulgaria vs Germany
Stoitchkov and Letchkov
I loved that game.

The game when Bergkamp beat Argentina was amazing too.

Althought we ended up losing England v Argentina France 1998 was a wonderful game. Everything in it

I love watching England in the World Cup.

Clive Tyldsley scrambling to find positives in a dour draw against European minnows. Some sexy cunt for one of the truly great nations making a complete show of England's agricultural midfield. Harry Kane corners. Roy Hodgson face-rubs. Perfectly good goals incorrectly disallowed against the Three Lions. Twats from Millwall and Northampton getting their heads kicked in by professional hooligans. Finding out who is the next poor bastard to miss/give away a pen and become the media's next target of hate. And of course, the glorious, sweet, sweet elimination. Delicious, salty tears of the Manc, Chelsea and Spurs players as they bear the crushing weight of an appalled nation, the boos of the fans in attendance swirling around them like a rich, cataclysmic symphony. It's gonna be great.

I love watching England in the World Cup.

Clive Tyldsley scrambling to find positives in a dour draw against European minnows. Some sexy cunt for one of the truly great nations making a complete show of England's agricultural midfield. Harry Kane corners. Roy Hodgson face-rubs. Perfectly good goals incorrectly disallowed against the Three Lions. Twats from Millwall and Northampton getting their heads kicked in by professional hooligans. Finding out who is the next poor bastard to miss/give away a pen and become the media's next target of hate. And of course, the glorious, sweet, sweet elimination. Delicious, salty tears of the Manc, Chelsea and Spurs players as they bear the crushing weight of an appalled nation, the boos of the fans in attendance swirling around them like a rich, cataclysmic symphony. It's gonna be great.

Couldn't have summed it up any better

Yes. The trick is for the team to reach the quarter finals, at which point many fans, now marinated in lager, have started to forget which players they hate. I mean, in 1990, which is depicted these days, ludicrously, as some kind of long period of national unity and positivity, there was generally anything but until they made it past Belgium, at which point the media suddenly forgot about slagging off Bobby Robson for having shagged a secretary prior to the tournament (and signed up to manage elsewhere after the tournament), and the fans started supporting the team. It could happen again, although I suspect footie supporters will remain even more tribal these days.

I have a couple of fave. matches...

Of course, it starts with us doing Romania on penos back in 1990. A game we should have lost about 10 different times, and big Paul should've been sent off for an elbox in Hagi's chops, but we survived to get to penos and the rest is history. Glorious, joyful, happy history.

Neutral games, two or three come to mind...

Brazil V France in 86 was a wonderful match that could have ended 5-5, but somehow remained at 1-1. Zico was subbed on just to take a peno, which he propmptly missed and France won in penalties. That was the last time I actually loved a Brazillian team, and I was gutted.

Romania beat Argentina 3-2 in 1994 (I think), with Hagi and Radechoyeu (I know that I spelt that wrong) bossing the game, and my Romania scored my favourite ever WC goal, taking about 6 one-touches to move the length of the field and walk the ball into the net... Fantastic match and I was madly in love with Hagi.

And the final in Paris when Zidane took over wasn't the greatest game, but I thought they way France basically bossed it from start to finish, with ZZ basically taking over was awesome to watch... When the best team in the world just batters the 2nd best team in the world, that's something to behold.

1978 – Remember 1 or 2 snippets at best.
1982 – 11 years old, was in Spain for 2 weeks of it, inc. Schumacher semi. Brilliant stuff.
1986 – Good WC
1990 – First WC up the pub, despite it being viewed these days as a dull WC, I loved it. Cameroon and Germany matches amazing.
1994 – Match times not great but some good games.
1998 – A great WC. Single and up the pub, great match times, great matches.
2002 – Bit shit, don’t mind getting up early to go on the piss but the footy wasn’t great.
2006 – Meh.
2010 – Worst ever. Hated it.
2014 – Meh. Boring.

Think there’s a pattern TBH. If you’re a kid or if you’re available for massive WC-related sessions, it’s great. Any other personal circumstance and it’s ‘meh’ all the way.

It's been a long time since I've had any love for the England team but I still look forward to the major tournaments.

I think this one has more potential than the last couple as there are a few interesting strands to follow, for example:

You've got a resurgent Brazil with Neymar looking to establish himself as a great (perhaps to the overall teams detriment).

Last chance saloon for Messi and Ronaldo at a WC though the pressure is surely on Messi and Argentina to perform.

It'll be the last tournament for Spain with a real link to previous glories.

Belgium will be looking to make the most of their talent.

There is Egypt with Salah who you'll want to do well.

I know what you mean, but I don't agree. IMHO he's a good deal more likely to start next season as he finished the last one if he has a good World Cup meanwhile, and conversely less likely to do so if he has to miss the tournament.

If one of our players has a good world cup; it will increase the chances of them leaving. Frim is a players that comes to mind.

England have a an easy group and with a bit of headwind could make the Q/finals easily given the draw.

Yes. The trick is for the team to reach the quarter finals, at which point many fans, now marinated in lager, have started to forget which players they hate. I mean, in 1990, which is depicted these days, ludicrously, as some kind of long period of national unity and positivity, there was generally anything but until they made it past Belgium, at which point the media suddenly forgot about slagging off Bobby Robson for having shagged a secretary prior to the tournament (and signed up to manage elsewhere after the tournament), and the fans started supporting the team. It could happen again, although I suspect footie supporters will remain even more tribal these days.
I don’t like speaking I’ll of the dead but Bobby Robson was a cunt. Most of the journos covering England hated him and Newcastle fans spat on him when he dropped Keegan....long before they canonised him of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom