• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Well, we live in hope, Andriy...............

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlads Quiff

Well-Known
I'll be back at Liverpool next season and I'll conquer the Prem, insists Anfield flop Voronin

By Sportsmail Reporter
Last updated at 3:34 PM on 25th June 2009

Ukrainian striker Andriy Voronin says he will make a return to Liverpool and 'conquer' the Barclays Premier League after his season-long loan to Hertha Berlin.

Voronin joined Liverpool from Bayer Leverkusen on a free transfer in February 2007 but struggled to make an impact at Anfield - scoring just five goals in 19 matches.

However the 29-year-old netted 11 times in 20 appearances Hertha Berlin in the Bundesliga and is determined to be a hit in England.

Scroll down for more
Andriy Voronin

Back with a bang? Andriy Voronin wants to prove himself at Liverpool next term

'It wasn't a bad season in Germany but now I am coming back to conquer England,' he told a newspaper in Kiev.

'I'm a person who likes to face new challenges. It's time to prove to myself and to those people who think I can score a lot of goals only in Bundesliga, that it's not so.

'Liverpool is one of the world's strongest clubs. To play for it is a great honour for any footballer.

'I know it's not going to be easy but I feel ready for a real fight to get into the first choice team.'

The Ukranian international still has two years to run on his contract with Liverpool and is joining the team on July 5.

He can score goals (some spectacular) and could be a useful impact sub.

Some people have taken an instant dislike to him because of what his tart said and his pony tail.

I think he could have something to offer, and if we were all judged on what our birds said we'd all be a Billy Nomates!

Conquer England? Haha, what a fag.

I'm not convinced he'll be sold though... it's not like we've been linked to loads of strikers, is it.

[quote author=Asbo link=topic=34383.msg895083#msg895083 date=1245945192]

Some people have taken an instant dislike to him because of what his tart said and his pony tail.

I think he could have something to offer, and if we were all judged on what our birds said we'd all be a Billy Nomates!
[/quote]

It wasn't just she though. On the contrary, Voronin was the first of the two of them to come out with such comments, and he did it more than once. If he'd shown more on the pitch I'd have been prepared to turn a blind eye to him flapping his gums in that way but, though he started reasonably well, I'm afraid that overall he didn't do anything like enough to convince me. I'd far sooner see him off the wage bill and well away from the club once and for all.

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=34383.msg895120#msg895120 date=1245949155]

[/quote]

It wasn't just she though. On the contrary, Voronin was the first of the two of them to come out with such comments, and he did it more than once. If he'd shown more on the pitch I'd have been prepared to turn a blind eye to him flapping his gums in that way but, though he started reasonably well, I'm afraid that overall he didn't do anything like enough to convince me. I'd far sooner see him off the wage bill and well away from the club once and for all.
[/quote]

Players that can play in the hole:

0/ Gerrard
1/ Kuyt
2/ Benni
3/ Voronin

Plus you gotta believe whatever new forward we sign is a step up from Voronin just pushing him further down the list. His best use to us is as a couple of million more towards the Silva/Villa/Lavezzi deal.

303i9w5.jpg

Not those Robbie Williams tatoos on the arms? Fuck me. How are all those blurts going to justify them when they're 80?

[quote author=Skullflower link=topic=34383.msg895124#msg895124 date=1245949561]
303i9w5.jpg

[/quote]

The baby seems to have inherited his looks.  Oh dear.

Quotes from him/his wife aside, I never really understood how Voronin became such a scapegoat.

He was never *rubbish* and I can't see why he was such a bad option to have on the bench. I guess its not only the ponytail, but Rafa actually starting him in some games when he was never good enough to be a consistent starter.

Voronin is not without some ability and I wouldn't object to him rejoining the squad however he needs to remind his fish wife that she should neither be seen nor heard.

I'd have no problem with his return as a (distant) back-up. He's a competent striker that we'd have to spend far more than we could recoup to replace.

[quote author=vikas link=topic=34383.msg895143#msg895143 date=1245953144]
Quotes from him/his wife aside, I never really understood how Voronin became such a scapegoat.

He was never *rubbish* and I can't see why he was such a bad option to have on the bench. I guess its not only the ponytail, but Rafa actually starting him in some games when he was never good enough to be a consistent starter.
[/quote]

That last sentence of yours is the clue to it really. Voronin isn't good enough to be a starter, period. As Wilko says, he's not completely without ability, but for my money he doesn't have enough of it. Too often the intensity and pace of the Prem just passed him by, even when he came off the bench. I'm also not persuaded by this latest attempt of his to put a brave face on having to come back, when he clearly wanted away from England in general and Liverpool in particular. Voronin needs to move on, for his own sake as well as ours.

[/quote]

He offers us pretty much what Keane did.

I am curious, is hairstyle really so important to our perception of a footballer? Everyone mentions the ponytail so much, it makes me wonder... Maybe if Voronin had Kuyt's hairstyle instead of that ponytail (also his wife's idea, BTW), our fans would not dislike him so much. Maybe he would be regarded as an honest, down-to-earth hard-working footballer, who perhaps doesn't have enough talent to be a starter, instead of his current image as a arrogant guy who thinks too much of himself. Anyone cares to comment? Would you have a different perception of Voronin if he didn't insist on wearing that ponytail?

[quote author=rurikbird link=topic=34383.msg895261#msg895261 date=1245967267]
I am curious, is hairstyle actually so important to our perception of a footballer? Everyone mentions the ponytail so much, it makes me wonder... Maybe if Voronin had Kuyt's hairstyle instead of that ponytail (also his wife's idea, BTW), our fans would not dislike him so much. Maybe he would be regarded as an honest, down-to-earth hard-working footballer, who perhaps doesn't have enough talent to be a starter, instead of his current image as a arrogant guy who thinks too much of himself. Anyone cares to comment? Would you have a different perception of Voronin if he didn't insist on wearing that ponytail?

[/quote]

what about his weight?

[quote author=rage link=topic=34383.msg895266#msg895266 date=1245967331]
[quote author=rurikbird link=topic=34383.msg895261#msg895261 date=1245967267]
I am curious, is hairstyle actually so important to our perception of a footballer? Everyone mentions the ponytail so much, it makes me wonder... Maybe if Voronin had Kuyt's hairstyle instead of that ponytail (also his wife's idea, BTW), our fans would not dislike him so much. Maybe he would be regarded as an honest, down-to-earth hard-working footballer, who perhaps doesn't have enough talent to be a starter, instead of his current image as a arrogant guy who thinks too much of himself. Anyone cares to comment? Would you have a different perception of Voronin if he didn't insist on wearing that ponytail?

[/quote]

what about his weight?
[/quote]

What about it?

prior to doseena he was clearly on the chubby side - didn't his national coach pull him up on it?

voronin is too slow for the premiership regardless of his pony tail

[quote author=rage link=topic=34383.msg895232#msg895232 date=1245966101]
i'd rather develop n'gog than give voronin another chance.
[/quote]

^^^^^^^

Well, yes, but isn't there talk of him being loaned out for that purpose? If that goes ahead we'll still need another striker option in our own squad.

We'll end up loaning him out every season until hid contract runs out and we get nothing.

Just sell him for whatever we can get.

We got him on a free, when he's loaned out the loner club pays his wages, he cost and is costing us fuck all, if we get a price for him fine, if his contract runs out it doesn't matter as long as he's loaned out.

LFC league games/goals: 19 / 5

His Prem goals per game is 1 in every 4 on a par with Peter Crouch!

you'd think he'd never scored with some of the slagging he gets.

[quote author=Asbo link=topic=34383.msg895563#msg895563 date=1246010776]
We got him on a free, when he's loaned out the loner club pays his wages, he cost and is costing us fuck all, if we get a price for him fine, if his contract runs out it doesn't matter as long as he's loaned out.

LFC league games/goals: 19 / 5

[/quote]

Yes he didn't cost us anything and isn't costing anything while on loan(hopefully, don't know the details of the loan) but now would be a good time to sell after a good season with Hertha.

I agree he isn't as bad as is being made out but he isn't good enough for us either. He is a 1 in 4 striker and while that isn't that bad he offers fuck all else. We can easily get a better backup..

[quote author=Akakabooto link=topic=34383.msg895567#msg895567 date=1246011183]
[quote author=Asbo link=topic=34383.msg895563#msg895563 date=1246010776]

LFC league games/goals:  19 / 5

[/quote]

Yes he didn't cost us anything and isn't costing anything while on loan(hopefully, don't know the details of the loan) but now would be a good time to sell after a good season with Hertha.

I agree he isn't as bad as is being made out but he isn't good enough for us either. He is a 1 in 4 striker and while that isn't that bad he offers fuck all else. We can easily get a better backup..
[/quote]

That's key IMO.  Even when Crouchy wasn't/isn't scoring, he's an outlet and will play others in around him.  Voronin offers goal-poaching and...er...that's it.

His link-up play isn't too shabby either.

He's just a very average player, who should have stuck with an average side in an average league.

I can't pretend to care much about the whole situation - what's clear is neither N'gog or Voronin are good enough to deputise for an injured Torres, and I'm not fully convinced Dirk can operate as single striker in front of Gerrard, so we should be looking to bring somebody in.

Kuyt played most of his games last year on the right

Keane tried and failed miserably. Kuyt played there, too, and did reasonably well; especially when his confidence was on a high, but like I said, I'm not sure he's a long-term solution if Fernando has another sporadic season.

I reckon Benitez has more faith, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom