• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The midfield conundrum

Pick the players that you think will leave? (loan/transfer) 4 picks max.

• Endo

• Morton

• Bajcetic

• Szobo

• Macca

• Jones

• Elliott

• Gravy

• Clark

• Carvalho

Results are only viewable after voting.

Modo

A contentious scando
Going by how Transfermarkt classified the players:

Defensive Midfield
Wataru Endo
Stefan Bajcetic
Tyler Morton

Central Midfield
Dominik Szoboszlai
Alexis Mac Allister
Curtis Jones
Harvey Elliott
Ryan Gravenberch
Bobby Clark

Attacking Midfield
Fábio Carvalho

Non-running wannabe midfielder
Trent Alexander-Arnold

So that's the status of our midfield at the moment. 10 (11 with Trent) competing for I'm guessing 7 spots at most?

Trey Nyoni isn't even on the list, which would make it 11.

A few of them are obviously more versatile and can do a job in other positions.

Trading Endo for Zubimendi must mean that whatever hopes Trent had of playing in midfield are well and truly over.
Because that's the only role I could possibly see him play in.

So who do you predict will not survive the culling?

It's quite clear for me, even though it's a bit unfair.

Endo I’m confident will leave even though I like him. Fab C will also leave on a permanent move. Clark will get a loan.

Getting in a DM would leave us with 8 players for 3(?) positions.

Edit. 7.66 players seeing as Ketwig can’t play one day in five plus likes having spells out.

You posted this whilst I was slowly responding to a different thread.

I think the roster is solid, but the fly in the ointment would be Trent becoming a midfielder as we would likely need to sell one or more really promising younger players given he would be an almost certain starter. That for me is one of the biggest 'what ifs' of Slot's management.

Can't see Trent becoming a midfielder, I think that would be way too much of an indulgence as far as Slot is concerned. Anyway - I think grouping the players above into essentially three positions helps:

DM: Bajectic, Morton, Endo
2nd in the Pivot: Mac Allister, Gravenberch, Jones
Number 10: Szobo, Elliott, Clark

Carvalho I think will stay unless we sign a wide forward or get a stupid offer for him. But he'll be used as a left-sided forward if he stays. Clark will probably go on loan, Endo will probably get sold. I think otherwise that's probably about the right size of squad.

EDIT: Assuming we bring in another DM that is.

Endo will go, a new DM will be signed. Bajcetic will deputise I guess. Morton out on loan and a final decision next summer. Same for Clark.

I think Carvalho will probably leave, but no guarantee there. Maybe they'll give him till Xmas, think he's earned that personally, especially with the apparent increased opportunities for a 10 in the new system.

Gravenberch and Szoboszlai both have a big season coming up considering neither have truly convinced and guys like Elliott and Jones have stepped up so well the last year.

Endo will go, a new DM will be signed. Bajcetic will deputise I guess. Morton out on loan and a final decision next summer. Same for Clark.

I think Carvalho will probably leave, but no guarantee there. Maybe they'll give him till Xmas, think he's earned that personally, especially with the apparent increased opportunities for a 10 in the new system.

Gravenberch and Szoboszlai both have a big season coming up considering neither have truly convinced and guys like Elliott and Jones have stepped up so well the last year.
I want to echo this Szoboszlai point. Considering the potential, hype and price, last year's showing wasn't nearly good enough, although you could argue he was handicapped by being asked to play quite a workhorse like role under Klopp.

It's a huge opportunity for both him and Slot. If the new system reduces the workload a little and allows Szoboszlai to fully express himself, assuming he makes the most of that opportunity, he and the team will massively benefit.

Big season for Dom.

Morton, Carvalho and Clark seem like dead certs. The only caveat is if Slot has seen enough potential in Carvalho and can make use for him.

Endo maybe sellable if we land a new six, but I do fear we could regret it. I think he's good to have in the squad.

I think the problem with Carvalho is that he doesn't want to stick around to be a squad player. He thinks he should start and that's probably the main reason he's getting sold. Probably the reason Klopp wanted him gone too.

I want to echo this Szoboszlai point. Considering the potential, hype and price, last year's showing wasn't nearly good enough, although you could argue he was handicapped by being asked to play quite a workhorse like role under Klopp.

It's a huge opportunity for both him and Slot. If the new system reduces the workload a little and allows Szoboszlai to fully express himself, assuming he makes the most of that opportunity, he and the team will massively benefit.

Big season for Dom.

I wouldn't go as far as saying he was nowhere near good enough - he was mainly just inconsistent. Great start, but tailed off.

I'm confident he'll end up a great player for us, but then so will Jones and Elliott and they never really get the same credit and slack, cos they're English I suppose.

Gravenberch I'm less confident about, cos I don't like his attitude much.

I wouldn't go as far as saying he was nowhere near good enough - he was mainly just inconsistent. Great start, but tailed off.

I'm confident he'll end up a great player for us, but then so will Jones and Elliott and they never really get the same credit and slack, cos they're English I suppose.

Gravenberch I'm less confident about, cos I don't like his attitude much.
I admit that there's a hint of nonchalance about him...

What about right central midfield for Trent? Surely he’s nailed for that? He’s way more of a midfielder than a defender. Likely better than Dominic in there?

What about right central midfield for Trent? Surely he’s nailed for that? He’s way more of a midfielder than a defender. Likely better than Dominic in there?

I reckon Trent’s role will involve rotating through the positions with Harvey & Mo with one out wide, one attacking the half space and one pushing through the centre when we’re in possession.

He’ll be able to ping in those crosses from out wide, but also he’ll be encouraged to get into goal scoring positions.

I ultimately think it’s about a fluid rotation in those positions to make it hard for opposition to deploy many marking, etc.

I also wouldn’t rule out whatever player we identify as Mo’s future replacement being tasked more to hold the wide area than Mo, letting the likes of Trent or Harvey attack the centre and half space.

I reckon Trent’s role will involve rotating through the positions with The Boy & Mo with one out wide, one attacking the half space and one pushing through the centre when we’re in possession.

He’ll be able to ping in those crosses from out wide, but also he’ll be encouraged to get into goal scoring positions.

I ultimately think it’s about a fluid rotation in those positions to make it hard for opposition to deploy many marking, etc.

I also wouldn’t rule out whatever player we identify as Mo’s future replacement being tasked more to hold the wide area than Mo, letting the likes of Trent or The Boy attack the centre and half space.

I really liked Diaz playing right wing during AFCON last year, i wonder if we’ll explore that option more.

Right footed LWs / Left footed RWs were really effective when that was a novelty move but now every team does this and defences are well geared up for it. I’d actually like to see us try switching that back to right footed RW / left footed LW more often.

I really liked Diaz playing right wing during AFCON last year, i wonder if we’ll explore that option more.

Right footed LWs / Left footed RWs were really effective when that was a novelty move but now every team does this and defences are well geared up for it. I’d actually like to see us try switching that back to right footed RW / left footed LW more often.

Nunez isn't actually too bad with his head, so might actually work out better

Are we still trying to get rid of Morton and Endo or has it changes now that we're not getting a DM?

We're obviously trying for a DM. We just can't decide between the "threaten but don't actually pay the release clause and hopes player kicks up a fuss" approach and the "offer 20% of the market value since selling club needs money" approach.

Either way, I'm sure it will be initiated on or around the last 48 hours before the deadline slams shut and Hughes will be sending emails every five minutes "You HAVE to sell your best player to us before it's too late!"

Endo and Morton will be in an airport somewhere, with the airline staff having been secretly instructed to rip up their boarding pass if we fail to sign their replacement.

Back
Top Bottom