• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Some idiot defaced a United player's memorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmishra

Very Well-Known
Sad that it happens on the Hillsborough anniversary. Fucking idiots.

Sister's shock as vandals deface footballer memorial

bridgemain.jpg

Rita Whelan at the bridge named after her brother Liam (inset) in Cabra, Dublin
Brian Byrne – Published 15 April 2014 02:30 AM
THE sister of legendary Manchester United footballer Liam Whelan has spoken of her shock after a bridge named in his honour was defaced with offensive graffiti.

Red spray paint was used to write the words 'Munich b******' and 'LFC' in huge letters across the Cabra, Dublin memorial for the beloved north Dubliner who died in the Munich air crash in 1958, aged just 22.
A bronze plaque bearing a depiction of the Cabra native was also entirely covered in spray paint during the incident.

Whelan was one of eight Manchester United players killed at Munich.
It is believed that the graffiti occurred sometime late on Sunday night following Liverpool's 3-2 victory over Manchester City earlier in the day.

'LFC' commonly stands for Liverpool Football Club and it is not yet known who sprayed the graffiti. Liam's younger sister Rita Whelan, who still lives in the area, burst into tears when she discovered the damage.
Ms Whelan said:"I just thought it was some sort of graffiti. I had no idea it was anything like this."
Ms Whelan claimed there had been similar incidents on the bridge since it was renamed in her brother's honour in 2006.

OFFENSIVE

However, she said none of the previous incidents were anywhere near as offensive as what was written this time around.

She said: "Why take it out on Liam? 'Munich b******'.
"It's just . . . I don't know what to say. I just can't take it in. Poor Liam."
Officials and fans from Bohemians, whose Dalymount Park ground is nearby, later worked to cover up the graffiti.

"We echo the unanimous condemnation that someone could carry out such a thoughtless and hurtful act, particularly as members of his family still live locally," said a spokesperson.

*Sigh*. There's always got to be some pixie-penissed moron with no other way to get noticed than to try and ruin things for everybody else. 😡

Glad Liverpool fans took a leading role in the clean-up at least.

🙁 This really pisses me off.

My attitude to any crime is zero tolerance but stuff like this deserves balls to be chopped off.

Good to see some Liverpool fans cleaned it up almost immediately. No club deserves to have any memorials or tributes disrespected in any way. Banter is all well and good but this is just wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom