• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Signing players from lower Premier League clubs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see many people hating on the Milner signing. I also can't recall too many of our rivals making signings comparable to this Ings one, though I'm willing to hear some examples.

You're right though, but I think for differing reasons. Chelsea just don't really have a great youth policy in terms of picking up lower league players, they pick up a few starlets and loan them straight back out overseas, but by and large, they don't spend much these days on British players at all (I know!). City can afford to cherry pick the biggest young players, see Sturridge, SWP, Adam Johnson, etc. They have, arguably once or twice in players like Rodwell. Most Everton fans I know had already resigned themselves to the fact that the lad wasn't going to push on to be a big player, he'd had a great start to his career and then two years where he stagnated, but City bought him on the back of his initial potential and they grossly overpaid for the pleasure.

United do buy British youth but they tend to price everyone out the market when doing so - no other English clubs at the times in question would have paid what they paid for Rooney, Ferdinand, Shaw, Young, Carrick etc.

I think the closest is probably Spurs, and yeah look where they are, so it's a gamble of a policy, but then Spurs haven't really had the "luxury" of being able to spend 75m on Lallana, Downing and Carroll - With some of those fees it was almost like a really fucking naive way of trying to play with the big boys, like we're saying "look at us", we can spend £30m on an English player, like United were doing 10 years ago, only they were identifying the right player, we're dressing up players worth half the fee as pedigree.

It's a wider problem. We've been mismanaged for the last 20 years and we've not had one setup that has been able to stop us pissing our money down the drain. It can feel like we're cursed at times but the depressing fact is that all just boils down to stupidity, naivety and I suppose a bit of bad luck as well.

There has always been an excuse as to why we've fallen short - can't compete financially, can't attract the right players or managers... none of them ever really true. Perhaps till now. We've done our being shit thing for long enough that we're finally in danger of validating all of those excuses.

There is nothing wrong with signing the Bellamys or the Ings of this world. There is *everything* wrong with targetting the Downings, Carrolls, Lovrens and so forth. We've always had an Owen, Gerrard or Suarez to mask those failures. We need to find another one quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom