• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Sevilla post-mortem

Status
Not open for further replies.

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member
Gutted... absolutely gutted. Anyway, here are some thoughts I'd like to write down before going to sleep.

1. I thought there were 3 main factors why we lost – we'll get to the other two later, but we have to start with the referee. Not sure how is it in England, but in Ukraine "Scandinavian referee" is already a pejorative term among fans – the last straw was Tom Henning Øvrebø's infamous performance in the Chelsea vs Barcelona CL semi-final (when he failed to award any of 5 or 6 legitimate penalty claims for one team). Well, Jonas Eriksson's performance tonight was almost as absurd – there were 3 blatant, deliberate handballs which should have resulted in at least 2 penalties against Sevilla in the first half alone (the 2nd one did look accidental, although I've seen them given. 3rd was shocking), but much like Ovrebo, this ref seemed to get ever more stubborn with each egregious foul. In contrast, Sevilla got all the soft free-kicks they wanted all game. Not sure about the offside decision for the 3rd goal, it was close but once again went against us. The final insult to injury was his refusal to do anything meaningful about Sevilla's outrageous time-wasting in the final 20 minutes, other than showing a yellow card to an already substituted player – yeah, that'll teach them bastards! Only 4 minutes added, despite all the fake injuries and substitutions and celebrations and whatnot. We can rightly criticize our team for their second-half disintegration, but it would have been very different if we were 2:0 or 3:0 up after the first half, as we should have been, had the rules been correctly applied. I am not too much in the mood to defend our players, but it's true that far more experienced teams than ours were known to lose their cool when faced with what appears like a persistent bias from the officials. I'm sorry to say this, but the referee's incompetence destroyed and tainted this game; maybe we would have won this game with a competent ref or maybe we would've lost anyway – the sad thing is that we'll never know.
  2. Sevilla and their coach deserve enormous credit for the laser-like precision of their tactical adjustments in the 2nd half. Klopp's strategy has prevailed in the 1st half (despite our players' nerves that were visible from the start) and we should have been out of sight by the interval (see p.1), but the sharp-thinking Emery was able to identify two of our glaring weaknesses during the course of the first 45 – lack of support for Can from Milner and the defensive catastrophe that is Moreno – and his adjustments decided the game. Sevilla were suddenly able to attack the space in front of our back 4 with speed and purpose and to exploit Moreno's weak positioning and decision-making. Once it became clear the original plan wasn't working any more, Klopp was in a difficult position as he didn't have the half-time interval to make counter-adjustments. The lack of obvious improvement off the bench hurt us too – objectively our best and most in-form 11 was on the pitch, so I understand why Klopp was waiting and waiting for them to find a solution – before throwing on Origi and Allen in desperation, when it was already too late. Still, in hindsight probably the strongest move after the 2nd goal would have been to sub one of the AMs for Allen or Hendo and try to regain some measure of control of the midfield. Or even Lucas, even though it would have looked bizarre to bring him on when we're a goal down.
  3. The 3rd and possibly most important factor was that several of our players were not psychologically ready to win in the final. Journalists will keep mentioning about Klopp losing 5 finals in a row – but is it because Klopp is a choker (which he's clearly not) or because on the contrary he has the ability to drag a team way above their station by his own personality and sheer will, but in the end the players themselves don't have enough self-belief to jump over the final hurdle? After all the psychology of a winner-take-all final is quite different from a home-and-away matchup; the players have to show their true mettle as they can't rely on home fans for inspiration or on the coaching staff to dissect and spoon-feed them every tactical detail in between the two games. In a final, players have to observe and make adjustments mostly by themselves and for that, they need to know how to deal with pressure. That was the difference in a nutshell – Sevilla were being badly outplayed in the first half, yet their players remained unfazed and were able to regroup and find another level. In contrast, when the game started slipping away from us our players were largely too nervous to make any meaningful adjustments (maybe that's why Klopp was delaying the changes – it's useless to introduce new ideas if you're not sure your players are in the right frame of mind to implement them, it might only confuse them even more). Particularly disappointing was that the player we needed most to deliver, the one who just swept all the end-of-the-season awards, has been simply MIA all game. Disappointing is not even the right word; I don't think I'm overdramatizing the situation to say that this game is a serious stain on Coutinho's career as a Liverpool player. This season in particular he has been gradually building up his stature as this team's leader and biggest star and to choke like this in the biggest and most consequential game in years now seriously calls this status into question. Will he forever be stuck in the "talented, but inconsistent" mode? Moreno was awful too, but he is far less important to this team and probably soon to be replaced and displaced anyway. Joe Allen for once didn't make any positive impact whatsoever and Benteke didn't win a single header in his time on the pitch. Fuck off.
  4. A couple of small positives in an otherwise deeply frustrating day – Kolo Toure was magnificent, our best player on the pitch by far. This is where big-game experience is worth it's weight in gold. Sturridge scored what I think should now be the goal of the season – it was some Ronaldinho-level magic and even more unbelievable given the importance of the occasion. Can wasn't perfect, but I thought his attitude was brilliant – he didn't deserve to lose. Also Lallana was magnificent in the 1st half; this was the first time I felt like I genuinely love him as a player. Many players made huge strides forward this season, but it still ends in disappointment.
  5. Spanish teams are full of cunts. I think this is fairly self-explanatory. This lot even outdid Villareal. Fuck Emery, fuck Banega, Gameiro, Koke and all the other cunts. Fuck the old cunt Monchi, too.
  6. I feel like shit, but still YNWA to all. My voice is hoarse from singing and shouting all game with the rest of the fans in the pub – they kept going even at 1:3. Proud of this club, Klopp, players and the fans.

Last edited:
Sturridge goal was fantastic but he also cost us a goal in the first half when he tried to hit the ball when Lovren "scored". 0ne of the most stupid decisions by a player I have ever seen. He should have moved away from the ball instead of trying to hit it.

Can was far from perfect. When you play as the defensive mid then you should more or less never be in the attacking half. You keep your position the whole game protecting the back four. Can didn't do that. Instead he attacked a lot. That left the hole infront of the back four you are talking about. When he attacked he left us unbalanced and vulnerable. Lucas isn't a fantastic player but one thing he do is holding his position. He will protect the back four the whole game. The space infront of the back four because of that won't be there.

Injuries to Key players the last month is a factor also. We lost the rythm and they did not recover in time to be sharp enough. Can of course but also Origi... our Brazilians also need to deliver better when the crucial moments are here...

A couple of thoughts.
  1. It's clear (again!) that there is a massive lack of mentality / character / steel in this team. You don't let teams come back this often from losing positions in a season. Just like Southampton, Newcastle, Sunderland games, we shit ourselves when we concede and it all falls to pieces. Massive lack of defensive leadership. There's no way Carragher and Hyypia let this happen.
  2. It was glaringly obvious how we missed a calm, clever head in defensive midfield who, when we're under pressure can just put his foot on the ball, win a foul or two, relieve some pressure and just keep us the ball a bit. We desperately needed a Didi Hamman out there. Our midfield was like a pinball machine.
  3. Can is not the player we big him up to be. Their third came directly from a ball control cock up of his in midfield. People keep stating 'he's 22, give him a break'. Come on. At 22 Alonso wasn't looking out of place against Pirlo and Gattuso. At 22 Busquets a vital cog in Pep's side.
  4. Coutinho and Firmino - for gods sakes. Big games like this need these players to stand up and be counted.
  5. Klopp. Love him to bits. But he's too slow to make changes. Hopefully it's a learning for him too. Allen or Lucas should have been on straight after their equaliser. Writing was on the wall.
  6. This really is an awful run of nearly winning. Premiership close 2nd in 09 and 14. Lost CL Final 07. Lost FA Cup Final 2012. Lost Uefa Cup Final 2016. Lost League Cup Final 2016.
  7. Anyone think there's some kind of curse on Liverpool Football Club?

Last edited:
I have no problem with losing a final. It happens. But when you wake up and feel that there were so many decisions going against us in that first half, it just feels a little bit harder to take.
The ref was shite. No doubt about that. I said as much when he got appointed.
A ref that has been in several controversial incidents so you just knew he would play a part in it.

But that wasnt why we lost. That 2nd half was just horrendous, from start to finish.
As a professional footballer you cant allow yourself not to be switched on when the 2nd half starts.
Conceding after 18 seconds. Thats just not good enough.
Moreno was hopeless and Klopp will surely see the need for a new left back.

I dont think Emery tactically outclassed Klopp either. The Sevilla players were told to stick to the plan. And I think we just gave them the initative when we conceded after 18 seconds. You could just see the whole game shifting sides and Sevilla suddenly had loads of energy while we just lost it.
No shape, players out of position and no belief in our own passing game.
Thats probably the worst feeling, that we just gifted them the game by shooting ourselves in the foot.

Sevilla were good in that 2nd half though. They deserve credit for taking advantage of the chances they got.

Ah well. Feels shite now but that will go away. Been here before and after that 0-2 game at home to Chelsea in 2014 nothing will break you.

Klopp will build something great. You just know it. Hopefully we'll soon be lifting a cup and winning some silverware.

CizVEusWkAAkEnr.jpg

Sturridge goal was fantastic but he also cost us a goal in the first half when he tried to hit the ball when Lovren "scored". 0ne of the most stupid decisions by a player I have ever seen. He should have moved away from the ball instead of trying to hit it.

Can was far from perfect. When you play as the defensive mid then you should more or less never be in the attacking half. You keep your position the whole game protecting the back four. Can didn't do that. Instead he attacked a lot. That left the hole infront of the back four you are talking about. When he attacked he left us unbalanced and vulnerable. Lucas isn't a fantastic player but one thing he do is holding his position. He will protect the back four the whole game. The space infront of the back four because of that won't be there.

That's rubbish re; sturridge. It happened all very quickly, it was a strikers instinct to stick a leg out/move to the ball.

I thought Emery got it hopelessly wrong in the first half trying to exploit our perceived uselessness at set pieces by playing long balls all the time. He obviously changed things by abandoning this in the second half and Banega was much more advanced, got a bit lucky and then we were chasing the game, which played into their counter attacking game. Don't think Emery is a tactical genius, anyone could see he got it hopelessly wrong in the first half and needed to change things, and he got a bit lucky with such a quick equaliser

I'm a bit confused. Losing two finals suggests this team is still as mentally frail as it was under Rodgers. But that team would never have battled like this one did in the previous two rounds. There has been an improvement, but there's still a long way to go. We need a dominant presence in the team, a real leader. And Moreno should never play for us again.

Like others have said more eloquently than I have at numerous points in this season, we have a squad made up predominently by supporting acts. The vast majority of our players rely on others playing well in order for themselves to play well. We lack dominant players in every position on the pitch.

I'm still struggling to understand how the team that got past Utd, Dortmund and Villareal can turn in that second half last night.
Shades of the Villa FA cup semi that.
Where are these players fucking balls? A major trophy and a place in the CL up for grabs and they barely looked arsed.
I was laughing at Citeh's abject surrender against Real Madrid the other week. That was just as bad.

The lack of a couple of truly dominant senior players was apparent for all to see last night.

I think given time a few of our lads could grow into those roles but I wouldn't be adverse to filling this void in the summer.

It's a difficult one. I feel like Klopp should have known they would press us higher second half, and either moved to a diamond or got Lallana to drop back in and cover Moreno. Never in a million years would I have Coutinho doing that, he just isn't as clever as Lallana in terms of marking players and being in the right place

The moment they scored we lost, which is well weird. Their second has Milner doing half arsed runs and Coutinho doing fucking whatever. It's like the midfield thought Kolo was gonna do it all for them

Their third goal was calamitous and genuinely one of the worst goals I've ever seen us concede. Shocking. Klopp can teach the players everything but if we shit ourselves under pressure it doesn't matter

Our priority for the summer has to be width though. With only fullbacks as our wide outlets, the centre becomes so crowded and more often than not they win the second ball. If we have wingers that can run round the outside more often and draw them across the pitch, it gives more space for us to play centrally. I can't be arsed with another season that doesn't address that

Whatevers though, Sevilla are boss at winning stuff and we aren't right now. We've lost so many semis and finals at this point that we just look silly. Oh well, gonna bang £50 on us to win the league and cash it out in November before the boom-bust cycle hits

There's a worrying combination of bottlers and poor in-game thinking in this team/setup. We saw against Villareal away, a team that were blatantly there for the taking and nowhere near as good as we anticipated, yet we struggled to adapt our strategy during the game. We were playing a team content to sit and wait for an opening, whom looked neither particularly threatening nor solid, yet we seemed to think sticking to our original aim of hoping for a tight result was still the only option. Ultimately we battered them at home anyway, but the writing was on the wall. If it was a one off tie then we'd have been out and all because we failed/refused to make a couple of adjustments to take advantage of how the game panned out.

Similarly last night, from the minute the second half kicked off, Sevilla changed strategy, pushed their midfield on us and among ours and started to compress the space we were taking advantage of in the middle third. It stopped our front four or five players dropping around the midfield into pockets of space, it forced the midfield back and it caused uncertainty at the back (easily done to this team, lets face it). We then resorted to how we normally end up failing - pumping aimless balls forward and hoping someone is on the end of it. In this instance you want Origi up there, you want to start flooding the centre to stop them running through us at will and to give an outlet. Why did we take Firmino off? He wasn't brilliant either but he was getting more of the play than Coutinho and Lallana, the latter just bottled it and should have come off sooner. As for Moreno, he's a fucking calamity.

I have sympathy for Klopp and the coaching staff. We know it's a talented but gutless squad, we know it lacks identity and leaders when the chips are down. That's what he has to address in the Summer. Tactically I'm not sure where we're headed when the sum of our early business is a free transfer and two inexperienced foreign midfielders, but it's early days. I've never been one to get particularly overawed at the next £20m-£30m technician coming in, if they're fannies or kids who don't know how to fight for the team, then what's the point? We need quality, of course we do, but we need a vision and a backbone again, cf Didi/Hyppia, Carragher/Gerrard, Macher/Xabi/Torres. We don't need a mass overhaul, we need some brains and we need to strive to start being ruthless and if we have to be, absolute cunts to play against. It's too fucking easy for any team that turns up and fancies their chances.

Last edited:
We lost last night because Can, Milner and Coutinho absolutely bottled it, it was a pathetic Arsenal-esc performance. We were lucky to go in a goal up, everyone was praising our first half performance, but I didn't think it was that great, marginally better than Sevilla's I'd say, however the capitulation we saw in the second half was nauseating, I've not been so ashamed of a Liverpool performance in a very long time, to quote a thread I made over 6 months ago, we're a team of shithouses. It's Klopps biggest challenge now, to bring in players who aren't scared of these occasions, players who feel like it's their right to win trophies, not just players who feel honoured to have the chance to play in the final, more players like Kolo who was absolutely superb last night and showed everyone around him how to handle a final, I really hope it's not his last game at the club as he was the only positive from last night.

We didn't get the run of luck they had but ultimately they were the better team for the second 45 minutes.

I also think it was clear to see that one side had experience of winning cups and big matches and the other not so much. That and you could quite easily reel off 4/5 players that would've been key but went missing on the night.

Hey, I know losing is losing but it's two cup finals , to me that suggests that need quality /winners /whatever's need adding this summer.

I've mentioned it a few times and got stick last summer but I'd still be non plussed if coutinho went this summer for a decent fee , I genuinely think we could do better

We lost because of one reason.

Moreno.

Sell him asap.

Thats just not true, he was fucking awful don't get me wrong, but our issues were much more numerous than a hopeless left back. If you'd rather just scapegoat the one guy and ignore the rest of our failings, fool be you.

It's ok, I'd rather be the fool than put myself through the angst and misery of watching that hapless Moreno try to DEFEND.

You know what, sometimes I think he can't even be arsed to at least TRY.

Yeh I don't buy that. Individual players have been slaughtered ad nauseum, so I won't go there, but it's hardly Klopps fault that they score within seconds of kick off second half. All went out of the window after that.

Kolo deserves credit for his performance. I thought his legs were gone after that recovering lunge tackle to stop a clear chance. Lovren was back to his usual antics of chasing his own tail. Moreno's positioning was once again suspect.

Disappointed with Coutinho again. I was hoping he'd fly out of the traps and score a screamer. He's being off form for a while now. We simply need better players.

I just got back home now ...

1) I'd do this over again, despite the last 45 minutes really souring an amazing day. The fans in basel were incredible - the banter, the singing ... I was just blown away by it ... I really loved being a part of this - hard to describe in words.
2) I was right on top of where the massive brawl went on ... Besides one cunt who goaded the Sevilla fans, they were the ones pushing and looking for violence. It was pretty crazy how long it took the riot police to get there but they were utter cunts the Sevilla fans in that section.
3) Thoughts from the game:
  • After an opening 5 minute dominate spell from them, we utterly bossed the game. Stronger, more physical - we wanted it more. Sturridge's goal (all the goals were at our side) was incredible, a goal that will be talked about for years.
  • The first half showed a lot of worrying traits - the ref wasn't up to the pace we were dictating, and Sevilla were getting away with a lot of soft fouls. He also should have carded Lallana. We saw in the 2nd half how he let Sevilla's antics (be it soft fouls and time wasting) dictate the game.
  • 20 seconds into the 2nd half, they scored. It was incredible to me how not only did the team 'stop', but also the fans. There wasn't really a belief we could undo this - and the nervousness was evident in how poorly we played. Sevilla, much like us in the 1st half, were dominant ... but unlike us, they took advantages of most of their opportunities.
  • Moreno ... I guess he's been discussed, but he's just not good enough. I really hope that he's second fiddle next year, or better yet, back in Spain, as I don't think he's good enough to be an everyday LB despite what his attacking prowess brings.
  • Mign ... watching the game you realize he doesn't have much of a presence as a goalie.
  • Coutinho was desperate for the ball, but received it so little, that he didn't influence the game at all. Macca's criticism of him throughout the year is bang on. He should have been our first player subbed imo.
  • Disappointed in Lallana and Firmino - they should have done even more in the 1st half, but they were good. That is probably the problem with the team - too many players who can play well but struggle to make that count for something.
Yesterday highlighted the obvious - we lack proper leaders and quality players. That can be rectified with the right signings and more experience for the likes of Can (who seemed devastated) etc ... Klopp has a massive task ahead of him this summer ... Let's hope we spend the money wisely, and buy players who take this team to the top 4 next year.

Walk on Lads, we'll be back ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom