• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post Game Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote author=mark1975 link=topic=36724.msg971697#msg971697 date=1256555869]
[quote author=the_khl link=topic=36724.msg971693#msg971693 date=1256555580]
Great post Ryan.

Here's a few thoughts of mine;

Torres is probably the best striker in the world. The way he outmuscled Rio from the ball whilst keeping his balance and yet managed to strike it fiercely into the top of roof was simply awesome. When at his best he's an unstoppable force.

Agger is a great defender. Not only is he classy on the ball, and capable of hitting the defense-shredding pass he's also a very very good defender. Simple as.

Lucas keeps on going no matter how much shite he's getting. Cudos to the young man for not letting recent poor form and harsh critics get under his skin.

Insua is only 20-years-old. Give him a fucking break for crying out loud.

Johnson could indeed turn out to be the buy of the Season in the Premiership. He's such a classy player giving us loads of options. He defended very well last night too.

Masher was back to his usual best beast. He's also back to beeing a bit rash in his decision making. You can't have one without the other I reckon.

Ngog showed another sign of good things to come. What a classy finish for such a young lad in such a pivotal game. Any striker knows and fears to be left alone with only the goalie to beat with half a pitch left to go. He kept his calm. Brilliant.

Rafa owns Ferguson. Fact.

Title-hunt back on.

*Voronin should fuck right of thank you very much. Seeing him just stand there looking discontent while every other teammate around him cheered for Ngog's goal made me cringe.
[/quote]

It's been said a dozen times now, but Skrtel and Carra seem to similar, I thought some of Agger's defending yesterday was really good, especially the late block he did when Rooney was trying to burst into the box in the last few minutes. What pleased me more though was his calmness and composure, it helped breed confidence in those around him (a point we made in the 'captain' thread a week or so ago). His ability to take a step back and assess what is going to happen is second to none and very reminiscent of our Sami.
[/quote]
Indeed, he seems even more confident than before.

Maybe it's just because he's getting older, he turns 25 in a month or so, but it's clear that he seems very calm and composed whenever called upon. Almost in this cool, arrogant way as Skully mentioned elsewhere.

[quote author=mark1975 link=topic=36724.msg971697#msg971697 date=1256555869]
[quote author=the_khl link=topic=36724.msg971693#msg971693 date=1256555580]
Great post Ryan.

Here's a few thoughts of mine;

Torres is probably the best striker in the world. The way he outmuscled Rio from the ball whilst keeping his balance and yet managed to strike it fiercely into the top of roof was simply awesome. When at his best he's an unstoppable force.

Agger is a great defender. Not only is he classy on the ball, and capable of hitting the defense-shredding pass he's also a very very good defender. Simple as.

Lucas keeps on going no matter how much shite he's getting. Cudos to the young man for not letting recent poor form and harsh critics get under his skin.

Insua is only 20-years-old. Give him a fucking break for crying out loud.

Johnson could indeed turn out to be the buy of the Season in the Premiership. He's such a classy player giving us loads of options. He defended very well last night too.

Masher was back to his usual best beast. He's also back to beeing a bit rash in his decision making. You can't have one without the other I reckon.

Ngog showed another sign of good things to come. What a classy finish for such a young lad in such a pivotal game. Any striker knows and fears to be left alone with only the goalie to beat with half a pitch left to go. He kept his calm. Brilliant.

Rafa owns Ferguson. Fact.

Title-hunt back on.

*Voronin should fuck right of thank you very much. Seeing him just stand there looking discontent while every other teammate around him cheered for Ngog's goal made me cringe.
[/quote]

It's been said a dozen times now, but Skrtel and Carra seem to similar, I thought some of Agger's defending yesterday was really good, especially the late block he did when Rooney was trying to burst into the box in the last few minutes. What pleased me more though was his calmness and composure, it helped breed confidence in those around him (a point we made in the 'captain' thread a week or so ago). His ability to take a step back and assess what is going to happen is second to none and very reminiscent of our Sami.
[/quote]

what I like most about agger (ther than his ability to burst from the back with the ball) is he reads the game like sami reads the game. the better you read the game the less times you will have to go to ground to win the ball. you will hardly ever see agger make a last ditch tackle because he doesn't need to he snuffs out the danger before he begins. I pleased as fuck agger has returned to the team. no offence to skrtel but agger is better at reading the game simple as that.

Very good post Ryan.

One small point though about Carra (who i gave MOTM), how true it is about very small margins making the difference? I watched MOTD last night and thought that he could of easily conceded a pen and then followed that up by getting sent off. I wonder how the forums would have been reacting if that had been the case?

observation

if (and when insua is bombed out of the team) in agger, johnson and aurelio we willl have a back line of players extremely accomplised on the ball which will greatly improve our ability to play from the back and reduce hoofing.

[quote author=Rafa4PM link=topic=36724.msg971715#msg971715 date=1256556886]
Very good post Ryan.

One small point though about Carra (who i gave MOTM), how true it is about very small margins making the difference? I watched MOTD last night and thought that he could have easily of conceded a pen and then followed that up by getting sent off. I wonder how the forums would have been reacting if that had been the case?[/quote]
Melting down?

[quote author=the_khl link=topic=36724.msg971720#msg971720 date=1256556988]
[quote author=Rafa4PM link=topic=36724.msg971715#msg971715 date=1256556886]
Very good post Ryan.

One small point though about Carra (who i gave MOTM), how true it is about very small margins making the difference? I watched MOTD last night and thought that he could have easily of conceded a pen and then followed that up by getting sent off. I wonder how the forums would have been reacting if that had been the case?[/quote]
Melting down?
[/quote]

Ha.

I suspect we would have seen a number of threads start with titles such as: "Carra's Finished!"

[quote author=Squiggles link=topic=36724.msg971516#msg971516 date=1256521970]
Great read and spot on.

Fergie can point the finger all he wants, everyone knows him and his side were thoroughly outclassed right from the kick off. Enormous credit must be handed to Benitez for this, however what's most remarkable is he kept spirits up in the camp for this level of performance to be possible. We were, of course, always going to be 'up' for this match and Andy Gray was right, it sort of was like a one-off cup performance for us. But to get our players to lift themselves, believe they have the capability not just to beat United but to outshine them, whilst sticking fiercely to tactical instructions in hugely emotive atmosphere - that's the sign of a class manager and the reason he bangs on about mentality so damn much.

I've been on cloud 9 all day. Awesome.
[/quote]

Squiggles i really like your avatar, that is all.

One thing I liked about Carra's captaincy yesterday was how he got involved with the referee. I generally hate players surrounding the ref, but I have come to accept it as a necessary evil if we are going to squeeze out every available points. In the first 20 minutes, he went to the ref twice. The commentator in US said that Carra was pointing out to the ref about how Torres was being manhandled. Within 10 minutes, Evra had his yellow.

Same way, when the United players surrounded the ref, Carra managed to barge his way in and offer his opinions. I am sure it helped relieve the pressure put by the United players on the referee. I feel in the games against Chelsea and United, Stevie is a bit too chummy with the players to go and fight against them. With Carra the intentions were clear, we may be friends, but on the field it is war. This is not a criticism of Stevie G, as I think he uses his personality brilliantly to win favorable decisions for us against lesser teams.

I know this is a despicable ploy, but I am so desperate for a premiership trophy that I am willing to accept almost anything for number 19.

[quote author=rage link=topic=36724.msg971568#msg971568 date=1256541816]
[quote author=Frogfish link=topic=36724.msg971552#msg971552 date=1256536964]
Excellent post Ryan.

However I'll take slight issue with you & Wiz over a couple of points.

1. Masherano did a lot of work in the United half (and this, allied to his imperious performance in our half, is why I gave him MoM), this was demonstrated by the 3 or 4 (totally wasted) efforts he had on goal, but he also did sterling work winning the ball and distributing it too. I remember at one point considering that a tactical move had been made and Lucas was now the sitting midfielder and Masher was being given the freedom to move forward.

2. I thought Lucas was excellent in the first half but was not so effective in the second. His perpetual niggling tackles which give away free kicks is extremely frustrating, especially when there is absolutely no need for them - a perfect example was his foul on Rooney on the edge of our box. I really wish he would be calmer when having the opportunity to shoot - from all the Youtube compilations of him that I've seen he was excellent in Brazil but he seems to snatch at all his chances here leading to mishits and wild efforts.

Carra had his best game of the season so far.

Insua seriously struggles against pace. He stupidly spent most of his time trying to block Valencia that than concentrate on winning the ball. Masher & Aurelio were superb in supporting him and saved his ass on multiple occasions.

Owen showed again why we should have snapped him up on a free when our other options are N'Gog & Voronin.

United look exactly as I said pre-season - very short in midfield and lacking upfront. I still hold they will fulfill my prophesy 😉
[/quote]

yep, agree with all of this.

i also think kuyt is going through one of his off form patches but no one notices r says anything as we know he will never be dropped.

one thing i'd say about lucas is that i'd rather see him try this hard and fail miserably than spend the entire game missing.

overall it was a very good team display. i really hope we can build from this.
[/quote]
Kuyt was very good.
???

On a more general note and just to say what are my own feelings about LFC this season and last, we are palpably desperate for the title and the players are visibly showing that. Last season after some stirring comebacks and then a series of dissapointing draws we HAD to win against Chelsea away and we did so, the confidence that we drew from finally being capable of beating the top 4 was invaluable and we used it to great effect throughout the rest of the season.

I genuinely feel losing Alonso and having the transfer budget swallowed by contract renewals left us feeling deflated before we even kicked a ball in August, we lack squad depth and a few stars wouldn't go amiss and i think the players know that an opportunity to build on an excellent season last time out was missed.

All of this is by the by and irrelevent for the most part the situation remains that on our day we are, just as we were last season, the most balls out passionate and commited team in the league, how many times has this squad thrived in extremis now? make no mistake we were FUCKED if we lost yesterday absolutely fucked, not so much by the 10 point disadvantage more by the fact that our confidence would have been rock bottom and the misery and dissapointment would have kicked in.... I think our boys actually still retained high hopes of winning it this season even after the Alonso/Silva debacle, to have started as badly as we have and to be suffering in the areas of the pitch where we had been so dominant.... it must be soul destroying for the players to have worked so hard for nothing.

Which is one of the reasons why yesterday was so pleasing, the press had been absolutely laying into us all fucking week, broken badge week so to speak, Rafa was a lame duck, shit shyster owners, crap players and two crocked superstars. League and Europe finished by November etc...

Thats the most immediate reason that yesterday was great.

The reason I loved it the most of all was, if last season is anything to go by, we have a very good chance that with our confidnce boosted and our opponents as weak as we saw yesterday we might well just walk through this particular storm into a golden sky... i reckon we are going to get better and i'm not sure if the rest of the league can handle that if we do. That shit team the press have been slating.... it got hidden strengths.

Lets fucking get into these cunts and win the fucking league.... i'm sick of all the fucking whining.... winning is better.

[quote author=Molbystwin link=topic=36724.msg971753#msg971753 date=1256559833]
On a more general note and just to say what are my own feelings about LFC this season and last, we are palpably desperate for the title and the players are visibly showing that. Last season after some stirring comebacks and then a series of dissapointing draws we HAD to win against Chelsea away and we did so, the confidence that we drew from finally being capable of beating the top 4 was invaluable and we used it to great effect throughout the rest of the season.

I genuinely feel losing Alonso and having the transfer budget swallowed by contract renewals left us feeling deflated before we even kicked a ball in August, we lack squad depth and a few stars wouldn't go amiss and i think the players know that an opportunity to build on an excellent season last time out was missed.

All of this is by the by and irrelevent for the most part the situation remains that on our day we are, just as we were last season, the most balls out passionate and commited team in the league, how many times has this squad thrived in extremis now? make no mistake we were FUCKED if we lost yesterday absolutely fucked, not so much by the 10 point disadvantage more by the fact that our confidence would have been rock bottom and the misery and dissapointment would have kicked in.... I think our boys actually still retained high hopes of winning it this season even after the Alonso/Silva debacle, to have started as badly as we have and to be suffering in the areas of the pitch where we had been so dominant.... it must be soul destroying for the players to have worked so hard for nothing.

Which is one of the reasons why yesterday was so pleasing, the press had been absolutely laying into us all fucking week, broken badge week so to speak, Rafa was a lame duck, shit shyster owners, crap players and two crocked superstars. League and Europe finished by November etc...

Thats the most immediate reason that yesterday was great.

The reason I loved it the most of all was, if last season is anything to go by, we have a very good chance that with our confidnce boosted and our opponents as weak as we saw yesterday we might well just walk through this particular storm into a golden sky... i reckon we are going to get better and i'm not sure if the rest of the league can handle that if we do. That shit team the press have been slating.... it got hidden strengths.

Lets fucking get into these cunts and win the fucking league.... i'm sick of all the fucking whining.... winning is better.

[/quote]
Beautiful post big man.

Some of the youngsters like Insua, Lucas, N'gog,Kelly and Ayala have been thrown in to the really deep end, because of the lack of squad depth. Many of us have criticized Rafa for buying players who cost 7 million but were worth much less type of players for the squad, and not giving the youngsters a chance. By force of being not able to buy or through good planning (it has to be the former), i think we have created enough seven million pound players to step in and do a good job.

If we can keep it together and match the big clubs stride for stride till January then we are in with a big chance of winning. Even one good signing can make a telling difference.

[quote author=madmax link=topic=36724.msg971776#msg971776 date=1256561842]
Some of the youngsters like Insua, Lucas, N'gog,Kelly and Ayala have been thrown in to the really deep end, because of the lack of squad depth. Many of us have criticized Rafa for buying players who cost 7 million but were worth much less type of players for the squad, and not giving the youngsters a chance. By force of being not able to buy or through good planning (it has to be the former), i think we have created enough seven million pound players to step in and do a good job.

If we can keep it together and match the big clubs stride for stride till January then we are in with a big chance of winning. Even one good signing can make a telling difference.
[/quote]
I notice you didn't mention Spearing.

I don't think he'll get another game other for the CC, the FA.

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=36724.msg971669#msg971669 date=1256553218]
[quote author=Wizardry link=topic=36724.msg971522#msg971522 date=1256522459]
Largely agree with a couple of exceptions.

The point on Lucas and Mascher is well made - I was making the same point in the Lucas thread. What Mascher did was excellent but he was only a presence when the mancs were dominating. Lucas was a presence and a very good influence for 96 minutes which we really needed.

Can't really agree on Carra being MOM. Don't think Lucas was either nor Mascher or Torres. I thought Yossi was streets ahead of everyone else and have no doubt we would not have won had it not been for the Israeli. He was by far the most probing of all our players, his ability to run with the ball at his feet, play the through ball (excellent for the Torres goal) or shoot himself set him apart from practically everyone in the squad save Gerrard or Torres. The decision to remove him was another "uh-oh" moment but it didn't come back to bite us and, if anything, Lucas stepped up a little more at that point.

I was amazed as well that Fergie didn't change until after 70 minutes - almost as though he was trying to wait Rafa out. As much as I rate Berbatov it really wasn't his game and Owen caused us more trouble in 15 minutes than their entire forward line did in the previous 70. Carra was desperately fortunate not to give away a penalty against Carrick (though I don't think it was one) and to not be sent off against Owen with 15 to go.

The effort from Owen to set up that bar rattling effort with 10 to go nearly put me in the cardiac ward.

The big trick is for us to carry this forward. The team - Gerrard or no Gerrard - has to build on this confidence and performance next up otherwise the effort has largely been for show with no real benefit to the club. I dread the days of our season highlight being a day out against the mancs. Rafa has to ensure that this is just another step towards the real prize.
[/quote]

I disagree with more of this than I usually find with you, mate.

1. Mascher "was only a presence when the Mancs were dominating"? As others before me have pointed out, isn't that rather the point of playing him? And how much of a presence would the others have managed to be without him on the pitch?

2. Carra was my MOTM too, not only for his performance but also for his leadership and example. Yossi was excellent - as usual IMO - but (largely because he was trying things, which is good in itself) gave the ball away a time or two.

3. It would have been a travesty of justice if Carra had gone for the clash with Owen, who was fouling him first and was still doing so when he went down.
[/quote]

Looking forward to all the morons who don't read the posts responding that Lucas is no Gerrard but I'll make the comment anyway since I'm mystified that some seem to find it an attack on Mascher.

I'm well aware of the fact Mascher is on the field to stop the opposition when they have the ball. Is that the point of his selection? Yes it is! I have no problem with this. My point is that Lucas was effective when the mancs had the ball - not to the same level as Mascher but still effective. However, when the mancs didn't have the ball and Mascher dropped into obscurity the same was not true of Lucas. I'm happy to have someone who is a presence for the full match rather than only parts of it.

One of the big assets that Gerrard has always demonstrated is that he's as dangerous as Kaka when he's got the ball at his feet and, alternatively, as destructive as Didi or Mascher when we don't have possession. If he had only one side to his game he would not be anywhere near the player we admire. None of this is to undermine what Mascher does but the fact Lucas did both to varying degrees of Gerrards effectiveness is an asset which he demonstrated to our benefit in the game. I'm genuinely surprised that some want to focus on defending Mascher as though he's being undermined. That Torres scored is not an attack on Kuyt; the reality in this case is that both worked hard to close the opposition down - but only one scored.

[quote author=peekay link=topic=36724.msg971746#msg971746 date=1256559008]
One thing I liked about Carra's captaincy yesterday was how he got involved with the referee. I generally hate players surrounding the ref, but I have come to accept it as a necessary evil if we are going to squeeze out every available points. In the first 20 minutes, he went to the ref twice. The commentator in US said that Carra was pointing out to the ref about how Torres was being manhandled. Within 10 minutes, Evra had his yellow.

Same way, when the United players surrounded the ref, Carra managed to barge his way in and offer his opinions. I am sure it helped relieve the pressure put by the United players on the referee. I feel in the games against Chelsea and United, Stevie is a bit too chummy with the players to go and fight against them. With Carra the intentions were clear, we may be friends, but on the field it is war. This is not a criticism of Stevie G, as I think he uses his personality brilliantly to win favorable decisions for us against lesser teams.

I know this is a despicable ploy, but I am so desperate for a premiership trophy that I am willing to accept almost anything for number 19.
[/quote]

Good post that mate..

[quote author=Dreambeliever link=topic=36724.msg971608#msg971608 date=1256547835]
Another season same old story.

We play ourselves out of the title early and a miracle result with our backs to the wall saves Rafa.

Bottom line is we will always compete in these games because with a high intensity Rafa's tactics are almost impossible to beat. However the sad fact is for the most part we don't have that intensity in most games and when our star players are either out or off form we struggle terrbily for it.

Utd were awful in midfield today. Why did a a midfield of Masher and Lucas work. It's simple Utd did have a mf to trouble us. Every single team we have played that have pacey attacking midfielders have cut us to shreads. Scholes is to old to make the runs he became famous for and Carrick has never been that player.

Utd's set up was perfect for us.

We won, it was brilliant but I still think we will come up short against the lower teams unless Lucas is dropped.

Also I have been avocating Yossi in the hole all season long and again he proved the difference. He was brilliant and his assist was as good as any this season.

He should play there every week simple as.
[/quote]

So if it was the players efforts who got us out of it yesterday, then it must have been their previous poor efforts that got us into the "mess" in the first place then?

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=36724.msg971626#msg971626 date=1256549571]
[quote author=mark1975 link=topic=36724.msg971622#msg971622 date=1256549268]
[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=36724.msg971621#msg971621 date=1256549191]
[quote author=Wilko7 link=topic=36724.msg971609#msg971609 date=1256548131]
N'gog finished very nicely indeed and as the camera panned to the bench the reactions of Nando and Voronin couldn't have been more contrasting. One of them has passion for Liverpool.
[/quote]

I can understand subdued, rafa is subdued, but ANGRY? unless of course 'the crow' had thousands on a 1-0 win.
[/quote]

I think angry is harsh and exaggerating it, he showed no emotion.
[/quote]

maybe I read it as angry because it was such a stark contrat to torres' reaction, it really stuck out like a sore thumb. voronin really hates it here.
[/quote]

who gives a fucking toss? he's never been an LFC player, and he'll be gone sooner than later.

so some players play for money rather than a love of the club - NEWSFLASH.

[quote author=peterhague link=topic=36724.msg971800#msg971800 date=1256563750]
N'gog finished very nicely indeed and as the camera panned to the bench the reactions of Nando and Voronin couldn't have been more contrasting. One of them has passion for Liverpool.
[/quote]

I can understand subdued, rafa is subdued, but ANGRY? unless of course 'the crow' had thousands on a 1-0 win.
[/quote]

[/quote]

maybe I read it as angry because it was such a stark contrat to torres' reaction, it really stuck out like a sore thumb. voronin really hates it here.
[/quote]

who gives a fucking toss? he's never been an LFC player, and he'll be gone sooner than later.

[/quote]

Pretty much.

[quote author=Spionkop69 link=topic=36724.msg971792#msg971792 date=1256563001]
[quote author=Dreambeliever link=topic=36724.msg971608#msg971608 date=1256547835]
Another season same old story.

We play ourselves out of the title early and a miracle result with our backs to the wall saves Rafa.

Bottom line is we will always compete in these games because with a high intensity Rafa's tactics are almost impossible to beat. However the sad fact is for the most part we don't have that intensity in most games and when our star players are either out or off form we struggle terrbily for it.

Utd were awful in midfield today. Why did a a midfield of Masher and Lucas work. It's simple Utd did have a mf to trouble us. Every single team we have played that have pacey attacking midfielders have cut us to shreads. Scholes is to old to make the runs he became famous for and Carrick has never been that player.

Utd's set up was perfect for us.

We won, it was brilliant but I still think we will come up short against the lower teams unless Lucas is dropped.

Also I have been avocating Yossi in the hole all season long and again he proved the difference. He was brilliant and his assist was as good as any this season.

He should play there every week simple as.
[/quote]

So if it was the players efforts who got us out of it yesterday, then it must have been their previous poor efforts that got us into the "mess" in the first place then?
[/quote]

only if you play your best available players - like we did yesterday.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I've watched the highlights and he is celebrating the first goal, maybe he just hates n'go ha ha.

another point re Agger he was really composed and good, also made some vital blocks and interceptions one on Rooney I think in injury time where he was trying to run through on goal and he took it cleanly off him. superb and resolute he was. I think his touch and calm play helps a lot

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=36724.msg971925#msg971925 date=1256573147]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I've watched the highlights and he is celebrating the first goal, maybe he just hates n'go ha ha.
[/quote]

It would be understandable. They're both (supposedly) reserve strikers but N'gog tends to show Voronin up by actually scoring.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=36724.msg971819#msg971819 date=1256565767]
So basically Ryan what you've done there is admitted you were wrong in this thread yesterday:
http://sixcrazyminutes.com/forums/index.php?topic=36710.0
[/quote]

That would have come across in the bit where I said "I've watched the game again and have changed my mind" yes Ross. Top marks.

Good post Peekay btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom