• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post Game Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan

The Prophet
Didn't see a similar thread (Mark usually does one but couldn't find any), if there is one, then move this.

To paraphrase Richard Keys; that was a "MASSIVE" win. Have you ever seen a team who perform better under adversity than us? Sans Gerrard, that was a mighty mighty victory. I was reading the Match Thread there and the howls of anguish prior to the game about how our starting 11 were vastly inferior to theirs on paper were quite true. Looking at it from an outside perspective, they shouldn't have lost to us. A team that finishes with Insua, Lucas, N'gog, Aurelio et al in it, won't win many League Titles, but occassionaly it's not the players that you put out but the formation and tactics you give them.

Benitez has for the third time in succession, completely tactically outwitted Ferguson. He must relish it. It's almost as though having to do it without Gerrard and a few others to select from makes it more of a challenge for him. That said, I was stunned by Ferguson's lack of changes during the game. It's almost as if he was immune to United's ineptitude. Easy to say, but there's no way Rafa would have kept the formation and approach Ferguson did were the situations reversed. Their 4-4-2 setup was admirable, but put a lot of pressure on the ageing Scholes, and the out of form Carrick. Mascherano and Lucas won the midfield battle, but why were they allowed to? Why didn't he bring Giggs in and pull Rooney wide left? Carrick didn't get close enough to Lucas, and Mascherano dominated in our half.

If you're gonna tell Valencia to stay wide and not either cut inside, or provide support to the midfield two, then you've got to expect him to be seriously fucking damaging from the flank. He wasn't. Considering he was up against the timid Insua, his output was extremely mediocre. To be fair, only on fleeting occassions did they get the ball to him quickly enough, which gave him the rare opportunity to go at an unprotected Insua. For the rest of the game he had to confront Insua, and one of Macherano and the extremely discilpined Aurelio.
They definitely should have made more use of Giggs. Johnson was obviously under instructions not to go forward that often, so they could have stuck Giggs elsewhere and changed the approach. Instead Ferguson did nothing. Fucking zero. They lost a game that they had time to change.

And it was lost in midfield really. We pressed them wonderfully well right from the first minute, meaning any pass Carrick or Scholes made was either a sideways or backwards one. Rooney never got a sniff, and our defensive 4, marshalled by Carragher were tight and resolute (By the way, how much easier is it to keep a clean sheet when your fullbacks don't cross the halfway line?). People are extolling Mascherano's contribution, and rightly so. His harrying, harassing, and break-up play in our half was excellent. Really really vital. He spoiled it with that sending off though - he's an experienced player these days, and shit challenges like that in the 94th minute aren't required.
As I mentioned elsewhere, I thought Lucas was outstanding too. Three times in the first 4 minutes he won the ball off Scholes and started attacks. Some people obviously prefer Masher's eye-bulging, all-sliding approach - fine. But to ignore Lucas' clever reading of the play, and break-up of United passing is bollocks. He never goes to ground, yet he still wins the ball. It helps a lot. And yesterday's wasn't the first game that he's been doing that either.
He mightn't have done the demonstrative work Masher gave, but what he did do was play in both halfs. Mascherano's role was limited to playing in our half alone, which he did splendidly. Lucas had to provide something in both sides of the pitch though, and was tellingly - the one who launched several attacks. But for better final balls from him, and a few others, the opening goal would have arrived earlier. Keeping the ball is another of the Brazilian's strengths, a rare commodity in such humdrum games. He's not shite, he's getting better slowly but surely. The least we cana sk is that he improves, and the Lucas of today is a far better player than the one of 12 months ago. Playing without the experience of Riera, Gerrard and of course - Alonso - alongside you is difficult for anyone. You can't say "the squad is shit" and then watch that same squad defeeat the Champions for the third time in a row. Rafa's right - "We're better than people think."

I watched the game for the second time this morning, and have changed my MOTM award to Carra though. Lucas was good, ditto Masher, Torres, Agger (whom I thought played very well indeed) but Carra gave one of those performances that let you think he could have played on his own in that defence and they still wouldn't have scored. He made one block on the edge of the area from Carrick (I think) that was typical him; hurling himself at it immune to fatigue and possible pain. Arguind the toss between him, Lucas, Mascherano and the others is like fighting over the merits of an oliy titwank and a blowjob, everyone's a winner really.

For moment of the match, I doubt I'll get tired of watching that fucking heartthrob gliding past Plug Ferdinand for the opener. He's got this brilliant ability to knock it just far enough in front of him to be able to use his speed, and still keep it within his own control. Remember how Owen (and Cisse) used to knock it so far in front of them the keeper could come and block?He's seriously mautring is our Fernando, he also didn't expend any energy on chasing and harassing their defence, saving what limited energy levels he had for when we were on the ball. Whether that was a Benitez-instruction, or off his own back, who knows. But it worked. He's now got Vidic shit scared, no doubt this'll mean Ryan Giggs being Player of the Year again, but it's worth it seeing that block-headed Serb being made the fool of.

That pure emotion when you see the net bulge is hard to beat, and a very very welcome end to what's been a rather shite few weeks. We've got Fulham and Birmingham in our next two League games. In that time, United play Chelsea where points will be dropped somewhere. Those 4 and 6 point gaps can be eroded pretty quickly. Game on.

Great read and spot on.

Fergie can point the finger all he wants, everyone knows him and his side were thoroughly outclassed right from the kick off. Enormous credit must be handed to Benitez for this, however what's most remarkable is he kept spirits up in the camp for this level of performance to be possible. We were, of course, always going to be 'up' for this match and Andy Gray was right, it sort of was like a one-off cup performance for us. But to get our players to lift themselves, believe they have the capability not just to beat United but to outshine them, whilst sticking fiercely to tactical instructions in hugely emotive atmosphere - that's the sign of a class manager and the reason he bangs on about mentality so damn much.

I've been on cloud 9 all day. Awesome.

I have to admit, i'm surprised we played THAT well, cosidering recent form. But it was damn fun watching the goals about a dozen times each on the DVR.

Largely agree with a couple of exceptions.

The point on Lucas and Mascher is well made - I was making the same point in the Lucas thread. What Mascher did was excellent but he was only a presence when the mancs were dominating. Lucas was a presence and a very good influence for 96 minutes which we really needed.

Can't really agree on Carra being MOM. Don't think Lucas was either nor Mascher or Torres. I thought Yossi was streets ahead of everyone else and have no doubt we would not have won had it not been for the Israeli. He was by far the most probing of all our players, his ability to run with the ball at his feet, play the through ball (excellent for the Torres goal) or shoot himself set him apart from practically everyone in the squad save Gerrard or Torres. The decision to remove him was another "uh-oh" moment but it didn't come back to bite us and, if anything, Lucas stepped up a little more at that point.

I was amazed as well that Fergie didn't change until after 70 minutes - almost as though he was trying to wait Rafa out. As much as I rate Berbatov it really wasn't his game and Owen caused us more trouble in 15 minutes than their entire forward line did in the previous 70. Carra was desperately fortunate not to give away a penalty against Carrick (though I don't think it was one) and to not be sent off against Owen with 15 to go.

The effort from Owen to set up that bar rattling effort with 10 to go nearly put me in the cardiac ward.

The big trick is for us to carry this forward. The team - Gerrard or no Gerrard - has to build on this confidence and performance next up otherwise the effort has largely been for show with no real benefit to the club. I dread the days of our season highlight being a day out against the mancs. Rafa has to ensure that this is just another step towards the real prize.

great post lets hope we keep it up against fulham next and not just the big ones.Great to watch our (crap) team take apart the manure.

Great post Ryan.

Valencia hitting the post and no red for Carra were 2 fortunate turns for us. Apart from that we deserved the win.

Yossi was brilliant until he ran out of steam (the incident he tried to take on 4-5 MU players outside the box and failed when he could have passed to another red) and was rightly substitued soon after.

Masher's red was not necessary as you said and we will miss him for the next game. One game suspension right?

Carra at last found his form, could it be that Agger is now back?

Lucas has become better, definitely but still has plenty of room for improvement and one incident stood out for me when after winning the ball in midfiled, he lost it immediately I think to Carrick or Ryan, not sure who.

Torres, what else can I say. He is top class. If he not one of the best, I don't know who else can be. What a relief seeing the net bulged.

Great post all of em...

I have just one little thing to add. How good was Feranando's touch? I usually am left breathless with Berba's lovely control on the ball. Fernando was better last game.....

Intresting analysis.

I think it was most enjoyable as i did not expect it at all, in fact ive gotten just about every gut feeling wrong this season! Luckily im not placing any bets.

We just need to use this momentum to string a run of wins together and we will be right back in the shake down.

With the silky Aqualini to come in, Gerrard chomping at the bits, a revitalized Torres and tricky Benayoun providing some tricky guile, Agger providing some solidity at the back, things are suddenly looking a lot brighter.

Man utd went to Rome to see the Pope and this is what he saaaaaaid....who the fuck are man utd!

Excellent post Ryan.

However I'll take slight issue with you & Wiz over a couple of points.

1. Masherano did a lot of work in the United half (and this, allied to his imperious performance in our half, is why I gave him MoM), this was demonstrated by the 3 or 4 (totally wasted) efforts he had on goal, but he also did sterling work winning the ball and distributing it too. I remember at one point considering that a tactical move had been made and Lucas was now the sitting midfielder and Masher was being given the freedom to move forward.

2. I thought Lucas was excellent in the first half but was not so effective in the second. His perpetual niggling tackles which give away free kicks is extremely frustrating, especially when there is absolutely no need for them - a perfect example was his foul on Rooney on the edge of our box. I really wish he would be calmer when having the opportunity to shoot - from all the Youtube compilations of him that I've seen he was excellent in Brazil but he seems to snatch at all his chances here leading to mishits and wild efforts.

Carra had his best game of the season so far.

Insua seriously struggles against pace. He stupidly spent most of his time trying to block Valencia that than concentrate on winning the ball. Masher & Aurelio were superb in supporting him and saved his ass on multiple occasions.

Owen showed again why we should have snapped him up on a free when our other options are N'Gog & Voronin.

United look exactly as I said pre-season - very short in midfield and lacking upfront. I still hold they will fulfill my prophesy 😉

[quote author=Frogfish link=topic=36724.msg971552#msg971552 date=1256536964]
Excellent post Ryan.

However I'll take slight issue with you & Wiz over a couple of points.

1. Masherano did a lot of work in the United half (and this, allied to his imperious performance in our half, is why I gave him MoM), this was demonstrated by the 3 or 4 (totally wasted) efforts he had on goal, but he also did sterling work winning the ball and distributing it too. I remember at one point considering that a tactical move had been made and Lucas was now the sitting midfielder and Masher was being given the freedom to move forward.

2. I thought Lucas was excellent in the first half but was not so effective in the second. His perpetual niggling tackles which give away free kicks is extremely frustrating, especially when there is absolutely no need for them - a perfect example was his foul on Rooney on the edge of our box. I really wish he would be calmer when having the opportunity to shoot - from all the Youtube compilations of him that I've seen he was excellent in Brazil but he seems to snatch at all his chances here leading to mishits and wild efforts.

Carra had his best game of the season so far.

Insua seriously struggles against pace. He stupidly spent most of his time trying to block Valencia that than concentrate on winning the ball. Masher & Aurelio were superb in supporting him and saved his ass on multiple occasions.

Owen showed again why we should have snapped him up on a free when our other options are N'Gog & Voronin.

United look exactly as I said pre-season - very short in midfield and lacking upfront. I still hold they will fulfill my prophesy 😉
[/quote]

yep, agree with all of this.

i also think kuyt is going through one of his off form patches but no one notices r says anything as we know he will never be dropped.

one thing i'd say about lucas is that i'd rather see him try this hard and fail miserably than spend the entire game missing.

overall it was a very good team display. i really hope we can build from this.

Superb post Ryan, an excellent read.

One point I'd make is that excellent as Carra was (and he was), I think he's more able to do his blood and thunder thing when he's partnered by the calm efficiency of Agger (who's positionally better than Skrtel). This means Carra's not taking up so much of his time and energy organising his partner and the left-back - Agger is more than capable of doing that himself, a sign he is maturing as a player and a man.

I'm looking forward to the partnership continuing to flourish over the coming games.

[quote author=Y1 link=topic=36724.msg971541#msg971541 date=1256527733]
Great post Ryan.

Valencia hitting the post and no red for Carra were 2 fortunate turns for us. Apart from that we deserved the win.

Yossi was brilliant until he ran out of steam (the incident he tried to take on 4-5 MU players outside the box and failed when he could have passed to another red) and was rightly substitued soon after.

Masher's red was not necessary as you said and we will miss him for the next game. One game suspension right?

Carra at last found his form, could it be that Agger is now back?

Lucas has become better, definitely but still has plenty of room for improvement and one incident stood out for me when after winning the ball in midfiled, he lost it immediately I think to Carrick or Ryan, not sure who.

Torres, what else can I say. He is top class. If he not one of the best, I don't know who else can be. What a relief seeing the net bulged.
[/quote]

...or because our cb´s didn´t need to cover for our fullbacks who didn´t attack. Hyypiä did that work well before he left.

Interesting post Ryan. I honestly feel, and have felt this for quite some time that the current Utd squad is the weakest for quite some time.

Giggs and Scholes are both quality player, but ageing quickly. Berbatov doesn't look interested. Only Rooney seems to have 'benefitted' from the absence of Ronaldo and Tevez as he is scoring more. I just know that at some stage yesterday Ronaldo would have made Reina work harder from a free kick.

Clearly Torres scares the shit out of their back line and will do for some time, and it was interesting to note how defensively minded GJ was yesterday. See, he can defend!

I actually wouldn't swap our 1st XI for their frst XI and genuinely believe we are the better outfit. As a whole, our 1st XI can onloy be matched by Chelsea. I reckon if you finish above Chelsea this year, you'll win the title, I really do. My worry is whether we have the squad depth to do it.

Utd have had for some years the 'winning mentality'. It is on the wane now, and I hope that other teams can build upon yesterday and not just give up when facing Utd. They are nowhere near as good as they're cracked up to be and Rafa has won his last 3 games against them.

I hope that finally, we have a manager to knock them off their fucking perch.

my observations

1. agger being naturally left footed allows carra to play on his right foot. its a natural balance. carra had his best game but still has the tendency to hoof it upfield to no one in particular, this is fine when its backs to wall but under no real pressure he should pick his passes more carefully.

2. yossi had an excellent game but he (and kuyt) need to be more selfish in front of goal, andy gray was spot on when he said in certain positions you really should just put your foot through the ball and see what happens, test the goal keeper you never know if an early shot will catch the keeper of guard. I thought there was no difference to the positions torres scored from compared to where yossi tried to beat the defender (again) and where kuyt tried to cut the ball back.

3. I have no idea where we got the confidence from. there were one touch interchanges that opened up manu, I can understand this flowing style in a winning run but this was on the back of a 4 game losing streak. if this is through rafa's motivation then kudos rafa.

4. torres really is a special player. one chance one goal.
Yosi was delaying the pass and delaying the pass and you could see torres bending his run to stay onside and then he excutes his run perfectly. People were questioning rio’s lack of a challenge but torres positions himself perfectly (would have been interesting to see who took the penalty, no gerrard and torres’ record from the spot bing 50%) and then torres shots early giving the keeper no chance to set himself. A brilliant brilliant goal.

5. vorinin should be fucked off asap if he feels no joy for a Liverpool win. Simple as that.

6. insua has established himself at left back but I think he is a poor left being neither accomplished at defending OR attacking and I shudder to think what would have happened if he didn’t have such a defensive shield in front of him as aurelio.
Time to give aurelio a run at left back now. Although aurelio maybe isn’t a top class fullback I’m sure few would argue he is better than insua.

7. lucas had an accomplished game but he will need blinding run of games now to keep out the 20 million aqualini

8. n’go another goal from the bench. His strike rate for minutes on the pitch most be ridiculously high

All in all a deserved if surprising win

Scholes was probably their best player, and even he only played well in the first half

The rest were pretty ineffectual overrall (VDS did all right)

Could quite easily have gone their way given the right (or wrong) amount of luck, but that's what fine margins are all about

We certainly merited the win, but we've played better than that and not got anything

Another season same old story.

We play ourselves out of the title early and a miracle result with our backs to the wall saves Rafa.

Bottom line is we will always compete in these games because with a high intensity Rafa's tactics are almost impossible to beat. However the sad fact is for the most part we don't have that intensity in most games and when our star players are either out or off form we struggle terrbily for it.

Utd were awful in midfield today. Why did a a midfield of Masher and Lucas work. It's simple Utd did have a mf to trouble us. Every single team we have played that have pacey attacking midfielders have cut us to shreads. Scholes is to old to make the runs he became famous for and Carrick has never been that player.

Utd's set up was perfect for us.

We won, it was brilliant but I still think we will come up short against the lower teams unless Lucas is dropped.

Also I have been avocating Yossi in the hole all season long and again he proved the difference. He was brilliant and his assist was as good as any this season.

He should play there every week simple as.

N'gog finished very nicely indeed and as the camera panned to the bench the reactions of Nando and Voronin couldn't have been more contrasting. One of them has passion for Liverpool.

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=36724.msg971605#msg971605 date=1256547424]
(would have been interesting to see who took the penalty, no gerrard and torres’ record from the spot bing 50%)
[/quote]

Kuyt

[quote author=Wilko7 link=topic=36724.msg971609#msg971609 date=1256548131]
N'gog finished very nicely indeed and as the camera panned to the bench the reactions of Nando and Voronin couldn't have been more contrasting. One of them has passion for Liverpool.
[/quote]

I can understand subdued, rafa is subdued, but ANGRY? unless of course 'the crow' had thousands on a 1-0 win.

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=36724.msg971621#msg971621 date=1256549191]
[/quote]

I can understand subdued, rafa is subdued, but ANGRY? unless of course 'the crow' had thousands on a 1-0 win.
[/quote]

I think angry is harsh and exaggerating it, he showed no emotion.

[quote author=Dreambeliever link=topic=36724.msg971608#msg971608 date=1256547835]
Another season same old story.

We won, it was brilliant but I still think we will come up short against the lower teams unless Lucas is dropped.

[/quote]

We've cut the lower teams to shreds so far this season Dream, it's the better teams we've struggled against. Hopefully yesterday was a watershed with regards to that.

[quote author=mark1975 link=topic=36724.msg971622#msg971622 date=1256549268]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

maybe I read it as angry because it was such a stark contrat to torres' reaction, it really stuck out like a sore thumb. voronin really hates it here.

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=36724.msg971626#msg971626 date=1256549571]
[quote author=mark1975 link=topic=36724.msg971622#msg971622 date=1256549268]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

maybe I read it as angry because it was such a stark contrat to torres' reaction, it really stuck out like a sore thumb. voronin really hates it here.
[/quote]

Yes, I think the time has come for Andrei and Mrs Voronin to leave these shores in search of the health care they deserve.

[quote author=Wizardry link=topic=36724.msg971522#msg971522 date=1256522459]
Largely agree with a couple of exceptions.

The point on Lucas and Mascher is well made - I was making the same point in the Lucas thread. What Mascher did was excellent but he was only a presence when the mancs were dominating. Lucas was a presence and a very good influence for 96 minutes which we really needed.

Can't really agree on Carra being MOM. Don't think Lucas was either nor Mascher or Torres. I thought Yossi was streets ahead of everyone else and have no doubt we would not have won had it not been for the Israeli. He was by far the most probing of all our players, his ability to run with the ball at his feet, play the through ball (excellent for the Torres goal) or shoot himself set him apart from practically everyone in the squad save Gerrard or Torres. The decision to remove him was another "uh-oh" moment but it didn't come back to bite us and, if anything, Lucas stepped up a little more at that point.

I was amazed as well that Fergie didn't change until after 70 minutes - almost as though he was trying to wait Rafa out. As much as I rate Berbatov it really wasn't his game and Owen caused us more trouble in 15 minutes than their entire forward line did in the previous 70. Carra was desperately fortunate not to give away a penalty against Carrick (though I don't think it was one) and to not be sent off against Owen with 15 to go.

The effort from Owen to set up that bar rattling effort with 10 to go nearly put me in the cardiac ward.

The big trick is for us to carry this forward. The team - Gerrard or no Gerrard - has to build on this confidence and performance next up otherwise the effort has largely been for show with no real benefit to the club. I dread the days of our season highlight being a day out against the mancs. Rafa has to ensure that this is just another step towards the real prize.
[/quote]

I disagree with more of this than I usually find with you, mate.

1. Mascher "was only a presence when the Mancs were dominating"? As others before me have pointed out, isn't that rather the point of playing him? And how much of a presence would the others have managed to be without him on the pitch?

2. Carra was my MOTM too, not only for his performance but also for his leadership and example. Yossi was excellent - as usual IMO - but (largely because he was trying things, which is good in itself) gave the ball away a time or two.

3. It would have been a travesty of justice if Carra had gone for the clash with Owen, who was fouling him first and was still doing so when he went down.

Great post Ryan.

Here's a few thoughts of mine;

Torres is probably the best striker in the world. The way he outmuscled Rio from the ball whilst keeping his balance and yet managed to strike it fiercely into the top of roof was simply awesome. When at his best he's an unstoppable force.

Agger is a great defender. Not only is he classy on the ball, and capable of hitting the defense-shredding pass he's also a very very good defender. Simple as.

Lucas keeps on going no matter how much shite he's getting. Cudos to the young man for not letting recent poor form and harsh critics get under his skin.

Insua is only 20-years-old. Give him a fucking break for crying out loud.

Johnson could indeed turn out to be the buy of the Season in the Premiership. He's such a classy player giving us loads of options. He defended very well last night too.

Masher was back to his usual best beast. He's also back to beeing a bit rash in his decision making. You can't have one without the other I reckon.

Ngog showed another sign of good things to come. What a classy finish for such a young lad in such a pivotal game. Any striker knows and fears to be left alone with only the goalie to beat with half a pitch left to go. He kept his calm. Brilliant.

Rafa owns Ferguson. Fact.

Title-hunt back on.

*Voronin should fuck right of thank you very much. Seeing him just stand there looking discontent while every other teammate around him cheered for Ngog's goal made me cringe.

[quote author=the_khl link=topic=36724.msg971693#msg971693 date=1256555580]
Great post Ryan.

Here's a few thoughts of mine;

Torres is probably the best striker in the world. The way he outmuscled Rio from the ball whilst keeping his balance and yet managed to strike it fiercely into the top of roof was simply awesome. When at his best he's an unstoppable force.

Agger is a great defender. Not only is he classy on the ball, and capable of hitting the defense-shredding pass he's also a very very good defender. Simple as.

Lucas keeps on going no matter how much shite he's getting. Cudos to the young man for not letting recent poor form and harsh critics get under his skin.

Insua is only 20-years-old. Give him a fucking break for crying out loud.

Johnson could indeed turn out to be the buy of the Season in the Premiership. He's such a classy player giving us loads of options. He defended very well last night too.

Masher was back to his usual best beast. He's also back to beeing a bit rash in his decision making. You can't have one without the other I reckon.

Ngog showed another sign of good things to come. What a classy finish for such a young lad in such a pivotal game. Any striker knows and fears to be left alone with only the goalie to beat with half a pitch left to go. He kept his calm. Brilliant.

Rafa owns Ferguson. Fact.

Title-hunt back on.

*Voronin should fuck right of thank you very much. Seeing him just stand there looking discontent while every other teammate around him cheered for Ngog's goal made me cringe.
[/quote]

It's been said a dozen times now, but Skrtel and Carra seem to similar, I thought some of Agger's defending yesterday was really good, especially the late block he did when Rooney was trying to burst into the box in the last few minutes. What pleased me more though was his calmness and composure, it helped breed confidence in those around him (a point we made in the 'captain' thread a week or so ago). His ability to take a step back and assess what is going to happen is second to none and very reminiscent of our Sami.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom