• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Man City Agree Santa Cruz Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoxForceFive

[size=16pt]Man City agree Santa Cruz switch[/size]

_45951293_cruz.jpg

Manchester City have agreed a deal with Blackburn to buy striker Roque Santa Cruz, BBC Sport understands.

The Paraguay international was the subject of a number of bids from City in January but Rovers boss Sam Allardyce refused to sell Santa Cruz.

The 27-year-old's buy-out clause in his contract is as high as £18m.

Santa Cruz, who was under contract with Blackburn until 2012, missed the end of the season with a knee injury and has made no secret of his desire to leave.

If the deal goes through, it would be City's second signing of the summer, following Gareth Barry's £18m move from Aston Villa.

After joining from Bundesliga side Bayern Munich for £3.8m in 2007, Santa Cruz went on to make 70 appearances for Rovers, scoring 29 goals.

But he scored just six goals last season in a disjointed campaign, with the knee keeping him on the sidelines for the last two months.

The transfer allows Santa Cruz to link up again with City boss Mark Hughes, who bought the Paraguayan from Bayern when he was Blackburn manager before his switch to Eastlands.

However, the pair are set to make a swift return to Ewood Park - with City's first game of the new season away at Blackburn.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/8110456.stm

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmmm, only one real proven season, bit of a gamble. That said, when on form he's a great little player.

I get the distinct impression they're somewhat struggling to attract further players at the level of Robinho.

That said, if he does recapture that from of the 07/08 season that'll be money well spent.

Well, this one had been talked about as done for quite a while now, so not surprised to see it on the BBC now. I am surprised however that Hughes has gone back for him after last summer. He's not had a great season and he's already got an injury prone striker in Bellamy. Looks like he's intent on reuniting his favourite Blackburn strikers.

I don't really see where this leaves their Tevez interest though... Robinho can't play left in a 4-4-2, so unless Santa Cruz is being bought for the squad, it must surely mean that contrary to rumours, they're not confident of getting their man. Or Eto'o for that matter.

City need a minimum of 3 more MASSIVE names before they get interested parties to join the revolution.

Robinho
X
X
X

Until then, the best they can hope to achieve is 'big money, small name' signings like Cruz.

If I were Hughes, I would recruit 5 or 6 ageing legends - who would be interested to join simply for a final pay day.

Then, let's say, next season - move in on the big name targets that they so dearly crave.

[quote author=Terrier link=topic=34279.msg891765#msg891765 date=1245485449]
City need a minimum of 3 more MASSIVE names before they get interested parties to join the revolution.

Robinho
X
X
X

Until then, the best they can hope to achieve is 'big money, small name' signings like Cruz.

If I were Hughes, I would recruit 5 or 6 ageing legends - who would be interested to join simply for a final pay day.

Then, let's say, next season - move in on the big name targets that they so dearly crave.

[/quote]

Becoming all obsessed with big names, which they are, is wrong way to go about it. Why embarrass yourself running around Europe with a blank chequebook trying to entice reluctant players?

They can continue building by buying young quality like Kompany and established players from their rivals. They've had to put up with the likes of Kiki Musampa, S** Jihai and the like for years, yet now suddenly it's Eto'o or bust.

[quote author=keniget link=topic=34279.msg891766#msg891766 date=1245485703]

Robinho
X
X
X

[/quote]

Becoming all obsessed with big names, which they are, is wrong way to go about it. Why embarrass yourself running around Europe with a blank chequebook trying to entice reluctant players?

They can continue building by buying young quality like Kompany and established players from their rivals. They've had to put up with the likes of Kiki Musampa, S** Jihai and the like for years, yet now suddenly it's Eto'o or bust.
[/quote]

Point is Keni, they can and will get the big names - but first have to sell City as a desirable club, which it is not.

As I said, Hughes has got his transfer tactics all wrong.

Bring in some 'final pay day' legends and then attack the real targets.

Kaka would never be interested in joining a club with Bellamy, Cruz, Dunne and co. However, swap them for Van Nistlerod, Maldini, Henry, Ronaldinho (shit examples) and maybe it would be far more enticing.

Hughes needs results now otherwise he won't be around to see the worlds elite joining City. They need to prove that they are desirable club by winning and getting into the CL...buying ageing has-beens is not going to help them in that respect.

Besides, they tried getting Senna for example and he turned them down also.

The ideal strategy for them is to focus on up and coming players and then, when the opportunity presents itself to get a Robinho, go all in.

[quote author=keniget link=topic=34279.msg891775#msg891775 date=1245486842]
Hughes needs results now otherwise he won't be around to see the worlds elite joining City. They need to prove that they are desirable club by winning and getting into the CL...buying ageing has-beens is not going to help them in that respect.

Besides, they tried getting Senna for example and he turned them down also.

The ideal strategy for them is to focus on up and coming players and then, when the opportunity presents itself to get a Robinho, go all in.

[/quote]

I would concur on one point, their desperate need to get into the CL.

Hughes is the wrong man for that job.

Well, I didn't think much of him in his first season in charge - didn't look for the job at all. Still, I thought he did very well at Blackburn, so perhaps he deserves another shot to prove he's not out of his depth at this level - looks like he'll get it anyways.

Villa and BlueShite have proven that you can get close to the top 4 by building the right way. Both have been let down in recent years by the size of their squad and to some degree, finances. City won't have any such problems. They can afford to build a big, expensive squad with quality players in reserve.

They do still seem intent on taking trying to take as many shortcuts as possible, but sometimes that doesn't always work out for you.

[quote author=keniget link=topic=34279.msg891785#msg891785 date=1245487448]
Well, I didn't think much of him in his first season in charge - didn't look for the job at all. Still, I thought he did very well at Blackburn, so perhaps he deserves another shot to prove he's not out of his depth at this level - looks like he'll get it anyways.

Villa and BlueShite have proven that you can get close to the top 4 by building the right way. Both have been let down in recent years by the size of their squad and to some degree, finances. City won't have any such problems. They can afford to build a big, expensive squad with quality players in reserve.

They do still seem intent on taking trying to take as many shortcuts as possible, but sometimes that doesn't always work out for you.
[/quote]

Yes, they're kinda trying to mimic the Chavs model, without realizing they have the Glam of London as a backdrop.

I think he'll be gone after 10 games if he doesn't start out really strong this coming season.

Robinho
X
X
X

[/quote]

city should splash the cash on young players who have the potental to be superstars and outbid all.

[quote author=red_maradona link=topic=34279.msg891789#msg891789 date=1245487679]

Robinho
X
X
X

[/quote]

city should splash the cash on young players who have the potental to be superstars and outbid all.
[/quote]

Which is kinda what they did last summer.......

ohh

[quote author=Terrier link=topic=34279.msg891792#msg891792 date=1245487890]
[quote author=red_maradona link=topic=34279.msg891789#msg891789 date=1245487679]

Robinho
X
X
X

[/quote]

[/quote]

Which is kinda what they did last summer.......

ohh
[/quote]

like who?

Robinho
X
X
X

[/quote]

If I were Hughes I'd offer us 25m+ for Babel & Lucas and offer to swap Micah Richards for Degen.

Are they taking the piss?

Robinho
Bellamy
Bojinov
Jo
Benjani
Sturridge
Santa Cruz

That's off the top of my head, they've probably got more than that.

They planning on playing 5 upfront next season or something?

Or, they're planning on having players on the bench & using a 'rotation' policy.

I believe some clubs have been experimenting with this.

[quote author=FoxForceFive link=topic=34279.msg891822#msg891822 date=1245491699]
Or, they're planning on having players on the bench & using a 'rotation' policy.

I believe some clubs have been experimenting with this.
[/quote]

Surely you have 2 or maybe 3 decent players for every position, not 8 or 9 lol

[quote author=Mors link=topic=34279.msg891819#msg891819 date=1245491566]
Are they taking the piss?

Robinho
Bellamy
Bojinov
Jo
Benjani
Sturridge
Santa Cruz

That's off the top of my head, they've probably got more than that.

They planning on playing 5 upfront next season or something?
[/quote]

...add to that Ched Evans, Vassell, and Caicedo.

[quote author=SaintGeorge67 link=topic=34279.msg891844#msg891844 date=1245495369]
Has Ched Evans ever scored for them?
[/quote]

Once in a 6-0 drubbing of Portsmouth. Think the Championship is more his level, 10 in 28 games.

[quote author=irishred link=topic=34279.msg891848#msg891848 date=1245496076]
[quote author=SaintGeorge67 link=topic=34279.msg891844#msg891844 date=1245495369]
Has Ched Evans ever scored for them?
[/quote]

Once in a 6-0 drubbing of Portsmouth. Think the Championship is more his level, 10 in 28 games.
[/quote]

he won't make it at city

[quote author=keniget link=topic=34279.msg891761#msg891761 date=1245484666]
Well, this one had been talked about as done for quite a while now, so not surprised to see it on the BBC now. I am surprised however that Hughes has gone back for him after last summer. He's not had a great season and he's already got an injury prone striker in Bellamy. Looks like he's intent on reuniting his favourite Blackburn strikers.

I don't really see where this leaves their Tevez interest though... Robinho can't play left in a 4-4-2, so unless Santa Cruz is being bought for the squad, it must surely mean that contrary to rumours, they're not confident of getting their man. Or Eto'o for that matter.
[/quote]

they will stockpile players like Chelsea did, why do they care?

Bellers will sit on the bench if they get Tevez. I doubt they will get Eto'o

[quote author=rebel23 link=topic=34279.msg891867#msg891867 date=1245497741]
on the left where he's been playing for them

[/quote]

Not in a 4-4-2.

They'll probably sell Benjani, Vassell, and possibly Jo too, and Sturridge has one foot out the door already.

As for Santa Cruz, Blackburn have got a good deal - he's a good striker but he'll never become a great one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom