• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Liverpool vs Leicester (away) League Cup....THE RAAAATINGS

Status
Not open for further replies.

manwithnoname

Bravo old man. Bravo.
Banned
Seems like there's a whole load of individual chat going on in various threads, and I wasn't sure where to put this. So I thought a new thread would be a good idea!

We're out. Which is a shame. This competition was never a priority for the fans or Klopp, and only ever really generates any level of muted excitement when we get to the QF stage. But it's still a trophy, and having been at the last final when we lost to City, it's still not a nice feeling to lose.

And Klopp badly needs to win something soon. I have no complaints about his team selection in principle - he has to rotate, rest players, and give others a chance - but the issue is more that his squad isn't really very good.
Coutinho was by a mile the best player on display in the first half, and after he came off, Leicester took control.

The obvious, well-worn and much discussed issues around Klopp's team and his way of playing were once again on display. We had lots of possession and chances in the first half, but don't have a top quality striker who can be relied on to finish.

And then there's that defence. Oh, that defence. Of course by now, even those a bit slower on the uptake have realised that we made a dreadful error by not strengthening our defence in summer, and the palsied shitshow we got from them again last night was derisory. We have continued to concede our current average of two goals per game, and frankly we are close to becoming a laughing stock. And as for some of the new recruits....more later. On with the ratings:

Ward (6) A few good saves and one superlative claim in his area, this was a decent game from the Welshman, and it's hard to apportion any blame for the two goals conceded, because we always concede goals.

Robertson (7) Solid, energetic, neat footballer. Shades of Finnan in an impressive first half display, it was a shame we had no quality striker on the pitch - or indeed at the club - to take advantage of his crosses. Disappeared from view in the second half, as Okazaki started to run riot, and seemed to badly miss the creativity and guile of Coutinho, who supplied him the lots of possession when he was on the pitch.

Klavan (5) Comfortable enough in the first half, with little to do, but made some useful interventions. Had no answer to the movement and pace of Okazaki, and left nowhere for the goals.

Gomez (6) Played lots of penetrating balls into their half, and wasn't nervous in possession. Good turn of pace can get him out of trouble whenever he was caught out, but not yet at the level required. Promising.

Flanagan (4) Almost unemployed defensively in the first half, but didn't seem overly interested in attacking. No presence or contribution in the second half. Had no answer to either pace or skill when confronted by Gray.

Henderson (4) Did enough work picking up loose balls and looked busy enough, but when we needed to inject some forward momentum, or regroup defensively, his response his always the same, a weirdly hyper-kinetic busyness that only ever sees the ball squirting sideways, in short distances. Another of his too-frequent retarded labrador impressions.

Wijnaldum (4) The Invisible Man did his usual away game disappearing act, but it's a weird trick, in that he looks like he's doing something and being involved, but is actually doing FUCK ALL of any actual use to help us win the game.

Grujic (5) His height and presence are quite interesting, and he duly won almost everything in the air. But the comparisons to Matic seem very premature, in that he's rash and clumsy in the tackle, and tries to many long balls, which he seems entirely incapable of delivering accurately. Not sure how good at football he actually is.

Coutinho (7) Even nowhere near his best, his 45 minute display was miles above the level of anyone else on the pitch. Inventive and busy, his sharpness is increasing, although he still didn't create or score. Getting there, hopefully

Solanke (6) Some promising moments and flashes of skill, but he wasn't given much support and didn't really look like he was going to score. Missed a good chance.

Oxlade-Chamberlain (3) Was quite involved and got through a lot of work, so it's hard to moan about his effort or application. It is, however, easy to moan about the fact that he isn't actually very good at football. He spent most of the evening barelling around the pitch, falling over, losing the ball, passing to the opposition and generally looking like a fucking cabbage.

Haven't seen the game yet but by those ratings 3 6's and 2 7's says it all really.
I thought we were supposed to superb 1st half

Haven't seen the game yet but by those ratings 3 6's and 2 7's says it all really.
I thought we were supposed to superb 1st half

We played well enough, but we didn't really look like scoring, despite all the "stats"

Second half we were awful. Only Woodburn looked any good.

We played well enough, but we didn't really look like scoring, despite all the "stats"

Second half we were awful. Only Woodburn looked any good.

We really are looking like a side who can only apply Klopps style effectively if all of our best players are available.

Otherwise we flatter deceive, it's not looking good, granted after rating our squad in a thread I just created I've realized how Fucking average our group is.

We really are looking like a side who can only apply Klopps style effectively if all of our best players are available.

Otherwise we flatter deceive, it's not looking good, granted after rating our squad in a thread I just created I've realized how Fucking average our group is.

Another problem is that some of our best players are shit.

Theres no chance grujic deserves a 5 if henderson was a 4.

Thought bot fullbacks were bollocks, moreno has been fine , one handicapped moment aside, looking forward to him startin on saturday as he offers much more going forwards and seemingly no less at the back than robertson

Solanke showed moments, ox was bollox, that midfield trio was shite, klavan and gomez - meh and coutinho looked rusty still.

Woodburn showed some moments of skill but the moment coutinho came off, you knew we would be in trouble - horribly predictable, im sure both woodburnand the team would benefit far more from playing with coutinho than replacing him

Lets face it, with CL football this team is screwed this season....

Out of League Cup football is a blessing tbh, we dont have the squad to compete in Europe and the League let alone adding cup runs into the mix....

I think 1st half was real strong. We caused them plenty problems, especially down the left and through the middle. Won the ball early and passed it quickly around. I don't agree we lacked chances either. We were close enough on quite a few occassions.

Difficult to explain why we were that much worse in 2nd half. However we changed set up slightly and they closed their wide open right side. I also suspect players that is not used to play PL week in and week out grew a little tired.

Positive mention to Coutinho, Grujic, Robertson, woodburn and also Gini for first half. I think Grujic looked tired in start of second half but managed to get back into the game towards the end again.

Negative mention to Ox for an abysmal performance, Henderson for not being able to lift the team at all when needed, Klavan for turning his ass on goal one (Leicester defenders blocked our efforts with brave all eve) and Solanke for not being a killer on some of that Nice play.

Lets face it, with CL football this team is screwed this season....

Out of League Cup football is a blessing tbh, we dont have the squad to compete in Europe and the League let alone adding cup runs into the mix....

Of course. But no more games from start for Ward, Flanagan, Grujic, Solanke and no chance for the youngsters.

But on the other hand: Who wants to see the shit we produced yesterday more times than once?

Ward didn't do anything that made me think his decision-making was questionable so I'd be happy if he got more games. That said, Ming hasn't looked shaky so far, only Karius has.

Flanagan was a bit of a mixed bag but then so have Gomez and Trent been at full back, understandably so as Trent is 12 years old and Gomez is a CB. I actually thought Gomez looked ok last night. And I didn't think Klavan was that bad, relatively speaking. I'd much prefer Robertson to Moreno.

But our midfield is shite. Really, truly shite. Having someone silky like Coutinho or Lallana at the top of the three gives us an illusion of control but the rest of the options are made up of scatterbrained idiots. Henderson is now lost between positions, whether that's as a result of the injury or just a general lack of ability I don't know. But now he's less effective going forward than he used to be, he doesn't press as well and offers pretty much no defensive shield when the team. Wijnaldum is ineffective unless the team are scoring freely. Can isn't anywhere near as good as he thinks he is. Milner maybe needs more of a run than he has, and I'd also have a bit more faith in his ability to adopt the defensive shield role. But even then, it's not instinctively his game. Grujic looked like he'd be up for a scrap which I liked.

But if you assume Coutinho or Lallana plays as part of a three, any two of Henderson, Can, Wini, Milner or Grujic doesn't give me any confidence of any level of defending ability. Yeah we need a better centre back than Lovren, maybe Matip isn't good enough, but they're afforded no protection by the midfield whatsoever at present.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom