• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Guillem Balague

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhyAlwaysMe?

Active
I know some on here aren't too keen on old Balague... But worth a read.. if anything for the Carragher comment..

The collective sigh of relief I`m hearing from Liverpool fans after Roy Hodgson`s departure is also celebratory: "we got what we wanted, we didn’t like the manager, we got rid of him and we got Dalglish back!â€. Yes, this outcome reflects the power of the fans, the influence of the Kop. I have just left Liverpool after a few days there and the two questions most people asked me were: `when is roy going to be sacked?` and` is Rafa returning soon?` Not a single person- and I spoke to dozens over a few late nights in pubs around the city- asked about the long term strategy of the club, the functioning of the academy, the owners` vision (or lack of it).

The fans I spoke to are only interested in short-termism and Make their conclusions based on what they see on the pitch and hearsay - and there is plenty of that in Liverpool. That is their nature. But they don’t know how the players are, their mental state, their physical state, why technical decisions are taken, the finances of the club, the relationship between the board and the manager, or the manager and the players. So their views are based on a limited amount of information. Based on that they decided that Roy had to be sacked.

For the record, I personally think that some players did not trust his methods, that his authority was diminishing in the changing room and the pressure from the Kop made leaving the only positive outcome. The board followed the demands of the fans even though Comolli was not convinced sacking Roy at this moment was the solution and, as I have been told, he did not think in the first instance that appointing either Dalglish or Carragher as player manager (something that was also discussed) was ideal either. Finally he agreed with everybody else that there was no way out for Roy and ceded to the owners.

But NESV knew from day one that Hodgson was an appointment that came about as a consequence of Purslow and Broughton`s preparations for selling the club. They wanted to Anglicise Liverpool, bring in a steady hand: one that made the club look solid and stable. Once that was accomplished, there was no point in keeping Roy in the long term. So the plan was to make him stay all season, decide who the new manager would be and start working with him now on new signings and the next steps to take regarding the squad. Instead we have a new captain at the helm of the ship due to the pressure from the fans, never interested completely in the long term view. They want results right now - that is also logical and understandable.

I know I have touched on all this in the past, but my last few days in Liverpool have left me with the same conclusions that I drew on previous visits. The power of the Liverpool fans is far superior to the power of fans at Barcelona, Madrid, Milan, Inter, Bayern, Manchester United, Arsenal, clubs that most of us will agree are decently run. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? I have the impression the weaker the circumstances at the club, the stronger the influence of the fans- and that cannot be good. Maybe the club could have pointed out behind the scenes that Roy was not there for the long term, trying to calm things down using a mix of politics and some well placed sources. But would that have placated the fans once they had already decided things had to change as soon as possible? Would they have wanted to hear what else was in store for the coming months? Will they be happy now they realize their power? Or will they want to continue determining the line being pursued by the club? Power is addictive. Fans wanted somebody`s head now and an opportunity to paint the club with legendary colours again; in search of solutions too many are looking to the past (what they know best, unable to decipher the future and without much knowledge of the present). That is again their nature.

But should those running the club follow their wishes?

Kenny says he learnt a lot from talking to Rafa Benitez and from having been given a job at the academy by the Spanish manager. So if things go well, the club will owe Benitez a beer or two for having reintroduced Dalglish to Premier League life in the present day. Good luck, King kenny.

[quote author=JimmyK link=topic=43509.msg1246998#msg1246998 date=1294529480]
I know some on here aren't too keen on old Balague... But worth a read.. if anything for the Carragher comment..
[/quote]

Interesting indeed.

I think I owe Benitez two beers.

One for bringing Fowler back and for giving Kenny a job at LFC.

I think he is well out of order here, and completely incorrect:

The power of the Liverpool fans is far superior to the power of fans at Barcelona, Madrid, Milan, Inter, Bayern, Manchester United, Arsenal, clubs that most of us will agree are decently run.

We are (usually) a meek, reserved bunch of fans who merely hope that a manager says and does the right thing - win or lose. In my lifetime (and at least 16 years before I was born) we never had a manager last less than 4 years - Uncle Joe aside who left for obvious reasons.

We have never chanted against a manager until the last couple of weeks, but have we ever lost at home twice in the same season to such poor teams (Wolves and Blackpool)?

Inter, Barca and....FUCKING MADRID! We have more power than these, and....FUCKING MADRID!?? They would burn the manager, players and owners alive on an angry bull if they could. Fuck of Guillem!

[quote author=Skullflower link=topic=43509.msg1247005#msg1247005 date=1294529884]
Carragher as player manager would be horrific.
[/quote]

Agreed.

In this day and age I'd never give a top level job to a recently retired player without any managerial experience. Don't care if it's Carra.
He'll have to prove himself as a manager first.

[quote author=Modo link=topic=43509.msg1247013#msg1247013 date=1294530345]
[quote author=Skullflower link=topic=43509.msg1247005#msg1247005 date=1294529884]
[/quote]

Agreed.

In this day and age I'd never give a top level job to a recently retired player without any managerial experience. Don't care if it's Carra.
[/quote]

Errrm, want to edit that?

How about cara player assistant manager, tage tweeted this is a rumour and also Steve Clarke, rush doesn't want the role apparently.

[quote author=Modo link=topic=43509.msg1247003#msg1247003 date=1294529831]
I think I owe Benitez two beers.

One for bringing Fowler back and for giving Kenny a job at LFC.
[/quote]

I think Rafa may have been planning his exit strategy by brining in Kenny - he probably thought that the club would have automatically given Kenny that position if he left at the end of the season, and Kenny does have a proven track record from 20 years ago so Rafa thought maybe the club would be in good hands. Say what you will about Rafa but the supporters of the club made a big impression on him during his time - I don't think he would have seen or heard anything like the support shown in THAT tie against Chelsea at home. Rafa would not spite the fans .. maybe the board members that were there.

Everyone would want to bring back a ex liverpool player as manager ..

would it work?

[quote author=Redshrek link=topic=43509.msg1247016#msg1247016 date=1294530469]
How about cara player assistant manager, tage tweeted this is a rumour and also Steve Clarke, rush doesn't want the role apparently.
[/quote]

You couldnt have a player as assistant manager really, not unless it's changed since the last time Fowler et al played. They have said that the asst manager is a kind of buffer to the manager, tells it how it is & stops the relationship between the boss & players breaking down by acting as a go between & calming situations, if a player were to take that role I'd imagine it'd cause rifts within the team.

[quote author=Sheik Yerbouti link=topic=43509.msg1247010#msg1247010 date=1294530161]
Has Kenny appointed his number 2 yet by the way?
[/quote]

Phil Tompson left his top with sky recently and was appointed by Kenny last time around..

[quote author=Redshrek link=topic=43509.msg1247016#msg1247016 date=1294530469]
[/quote]

That's what I did on this years footy manager.. persuaded him to sign a monster contract as player/ass-man.. He wasn't great..

[quote author=IanTheRed link=topic=43509.msg1247015#msg1247015 date=1294530417]
[quote author=Modo link=topic=43509.msg1247013#msg1247013 date=1294530345]
[/quote]

Agreed.

[/quote]

Errrm, want to edit that?
[/quote]

No I wrote top level. He'll have to prove himself in a lower tier team like Tranmere or something.

Phil Thompson was still on sky today though wasn't he?

I wouldn't have minded Gary Mac as assistant but didn't Ged get in there first?

Give it Didi.

Balague is spouting a load of bollocks in this article. He is simply wrong on nearly all his conclusions. Liverpool fans are not only interested in the short term. We probably spend an unhealthy amount of time thinking about all aspects of the club and that includes the long term strategy to get back to the top. Liverpool fans have too much say? What the fuck is that? He's talking out of his arse again.

Balague are missing some points here, and he is really missing them.

Who are this club existing for? Some american investors??? What is the value of the club?

The club is for the fans. Its their club and without them there is no club. When a club is as special as Liverpool has been since Shanks came in, there is no place for Roy Hodgsons. SOrry, absolutely no chance such guy can fit in. He has no clue what it is all about. Clearly this Comolli guy doesnt get it either. But even when Man United have dominated for a good 20 years Liverpool still remianed the club to beat. The club that they were scared off. The club the pundits needed to stab in the back when they could. Robbie Fowler i.e. is the prime example. The special one no pundit could find the real praise for but every fan would sacrifice the league trophy to be able to have in the team. The identity between club and supporters who made everyone so fucking jealous. This cant be hided in some long term strategy by people who has never been involved in football, nevermind understands Liverpool. We are more than a football club, we are an institution, and Roy Hodgson went far to destroy this. He had to go. Just as simple is it.

[quote author=Insignificance link=topic=43509.msg1247062#msg1247062 date=1294537219]Robbie Fowler i.e. is the prime example. The special one no pundit could find the real praise for but every fan would sacrifice the league trophy to be able to have in the team.
[/quote]

???

I may be missing something but what do you mean?

[quote author=SaintGeorge67 link=topic=43509.msg1247066#msg1247066 date=1294537500]
[quote author=Insignificance link=topic=43509.msg1247062#msg1247062 date=1294537219]Robbie Fowler i.e. is the prime example. The special one no pundit could find the real praise for but every fan would sacrifice the league trophy to be able to have in the team.
[/quote]

???

I may be missing something but what do you mean?
[/quote]

The general understanding was that Owen was a bigger and better talent than Robbie. He was the one that the whole nation was behind. But for me and I assume a lot of us it was Robbie who was the special one. Even with his bans and his part time inclusion for england and lack of pundit support it was still him we wanted to watch week in and week out.

If the idea of Carra as manager was ever seriously discussed then this club is in major trouble at board level, it is just such a bad idea its farcical, he is currently at the lowest point in his career and really struggling to get back to the top level of his game, which may or may not be possible. To give him that much added responsibility would be ridiculous, added to that hes never had any coaching exerience what so ever at youth or academy level.

Carra has always struck me as a potentially devisive player, his constant barracking of certain team mates has no doubt left him unpopular in some quarters and the fact he and Gerrard were consulted over Hodgsons appointment suggests to me that some players have too much power within the club. Appointing him manager on even a temporary basis would have been a worse idea than letting Hodgson continue

As for the assistant managers job, just because Kenny is back I dont think we have to go down the route of having an ex favourite, some outside perspective would be helpful and if Steve Clarke is available I think he would be the best choice. Kenny and Rush would be the 'Newcastle - our fans are morons so just give them some names they recognise and watch them queue up outside the club shop' option

The board followed the demands of the fans even though Comolli was not convinced sacking Roy at this moment was the solution and, as I have been told, he did not think in the first instance that appointing either Dalglish or Carragher as player manager (something that was also discussed)

So Comolli was all for Roy seeing the season out (at the very least)? :-X

[quote author=RedStar link=topic=43509.msg1247076#msg1247076 date=1294540375]our fans are morons so just give them some names they recognise and watch them queue up outside the club shop' option
[/quote]

hahahaha. Most fans are morons, but in fairness most people are morons so it's expected.

[quote author=Binny link=topic=43509.msg1247077#msg1247077 date=1294540660]
The board followed the demands of the fans even though Comolli was not convinced sacking Roy at this moment was the solution and, as I have been told, he did not think in the first instance that appointing either Dalglish or Carragher as player manager (something that was also discussed)

[/quote]

I don't see where it says he'd like Roy to see the season out.

[quote author=RedKev link=topic=43509.msg1247084#msg1247084 date=1294541299]
[quote author=Binny link=topic=43509.msg1247077#msg1247077 date=1294540660]

[/quote]

I don't see where it says he'd like Roy to see the season out.
[/quote]

Neither do I, thus my question mark instead of a full stop. If he's not convinced, what's his proposed solution or suggestion?

I take everything Ballbag says with a giant pinch of salt as he hasn't been right about much lately.
I don't belive Comolli would want to keep Roy for the rest of the season, and Carra as player ass manager would be awful. You can't mix those roles. Didi would be excellent!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom