• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Eng-er-Land

dee

Part of the Furniture
Administrator
Yepp - iI KNOW most of you have no interest in England's national team and this will be a minority thread. Generally I'm not arsed either but, well you know, it's footie init! The F1 is on the dull no overtake tracks and the athletics is pretty much the only option apart from the cooking pervs who like snooker

So for those that are interested.... what team are you thinking ?

I'm thinking 4-2-3-1

1717712829874.png

I like your formation - but honestly I think for sure Kyle Walker will start and he may risk playing Trippier on the left side if Shaw is not going to be fit enough. Other than that - I think that formation works with the front 4.

I am really pissed that he left out Jones though, I mean really fucking pissed - and also I think he is a dumb shit for leaving out Grealish as well. Sometimes players cannot show all their abilities in the course of a season because of managerial instructions and that is how it is with Grealish. I think he is foolish taking Kobi Mainoo at this early stage - its just not right.

I like your formation - but honestly I think for sure Kyle Walker will start and he may risk playing Trippier on the left side if Shaw is not going to be fit enough. Other than that - I think that formation works with the front 4.

I am really pissed that he left out Jones though, I mean really fucking pissed - and also I think he is a dumb shit for leaving out Grealish as well. Sometimes players cannot show all their abilities in the course of a season because of managerial instructions and that is how it is with Grealish. I think he is foolish taking Kobi Mainoo at this early stage - its just not right.

i think you’re right about the fullbacks

on paper that attack is fantastic, plus watkins, bowen and whoever else they have

i have a suspicion that gallagher will work his way into the side much like henderson did in previous tournaments

I bet there are many marketing people and sponsors that are really pissed that the likes of Rashford, Grealish, and Maddison are not in the team - I would not put it past the FA to call up Southgate and question the players he has left out.

On paper, that England team should do really well.

But then there is the Southgate factor.

Absolutely awful call leaving Grealish out.

Also surprised Henderson was cut earlier.

The moment Henderson stopped being a cog in a system (ie perform a very specific task under Klopp) I think he got kind of exposed with his limitations. He'd probably be a good character to have in the squad, but midfield is the one area England has a lot of quality in.
He should have stuck on at LFC as a squad player and captain. Made a horrible career move.

Based on fitness and form the team should be

Pickford

Walker
Stones
Konsa
Gomez*

Trent**
Rice

Palmer***
Bellingham
Foden

Kane

However as the stars show above..
*Southgate will play safe and choose Trippier
** Southgate will over compensate for the safe choice and play Mainoo
*** if Saka is even 80% fit, he'll play over Palmer.

Why not? The kid has been good.

In a few games he's been good yes. But overall not good enough to start for England. Most games he gets bypassed with ease, not very mobile and he plays in a midfield that conceded the most shots in Europe after Christmas when he started playing regularly. Kid isnt ready and is overhyped to the extreme because he's good with the ball and scored a goal or two.

Wharton should start 10/10 times over him.

Reactions: dee
For me, there's nothing overly controversial in his squad selection. Eze over Grealish, perhaps, but if neither are a set starter it makes sense to go with the player in form. There's always been niggling reports about Grealish's professionalism and application in training, too. Generally speaking, England has a strong squad. My experience of international football suggests to me at least that we do not have a good enough keeper or CBs to make us favourites, but if the midfield and Kane all turn up then we're capable of beating anyone.

It would benefit England to play a decent team and win in the earlier rounds of the tournament. Under Southgate England typically lose when put up against the first good side they've come up against. Mentally it's something that needs to be banished. A bit like in 96 when England battered the Dutch. Something similar would be rallying. Not that the fans need any more confidence, but it should be for the players. The likes of Konsa, Kane, Rice, Shaw, Saka, Pickford, etc, haven't won much (if anything) to date in their careers, so putting a marker down early feels important.

The biggest source of joy at the European Championship is seeing a fat, half-naked, Brexiteer, only wearing a Barnsley tattoo, in a state of disbelief and tears, as England crashes out on penalties.

In a few games he's been good yes. But overall not good enough to start for England. Most games he gets bypassed with ease, not very mobile and he plays in a midfield that conceded the most shots in Europe after Christmas when he started playing regularly. Kid isnt ready and is overhyped to the extreme because he's good with the ball and scored a goal or two.

Wharton should start 10/10 times over him.
I smell bias.
Although I agree that ideally he shouldn't be starting, but he's a top class talent and has a very high ceiling.

Last edited:
I smell bias.
Although I agree that ideally he shouldn't be starting, but he's top class talent and has a very ceiling.

Couldnt give a shit if he plays for Utd. Being a talented player and when you should play regularly for England in the Euros are two very different discussions.

I'd start both over Trent in midfield unless it's against the Maltas of the world

Agree with both @Hansern and @Modo. Mainoo is a talent and has squeezed into the final 26 but he should only be sub/backup this time round. If he continues to improve he may become a regular in future

I think if Trent is in midfield he will play in a 4-3-3 on the right, I kinda expect to see

Pickford
Walker Stones Guehi Trippier
Rice
Trent Wharton
Saka Kane Eze

For the first game anyway

Ah yeah lol I knew there was someone I was forgetting. Ideally you'd play him in the 10 role behind Kane but then I can't see Trent playing also

I think if Trent is in midfield he will play in a 4-3-3 on the right, I kinda expect to see

Pickford
Walker Stones Guehi Trippier
Rice
Trent Wharton
Saka Kane Eze

For the first game anyway
I'd be surprised if Eze starts over Foden, think he plays no matter the opposition.....he's one of few genuine world class players England have.

Serbia....Denmark....who would people say is stronger out the 2? Or are they fairly evenly matched?

Back
Top Bottom