• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Crystal Palace v Liverpool Ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am surprised everyone voted Mane above Salah.
I'm a huge Mane fan but in terms of impact Salah was at the centre of every big decision in the game.

He's not going to score goals every game.

He won the penalty just before half time with a turn not many are capable of.

Got their man sent off.

Had a header well saved and if Robertson played the ball earlier would have had a simple finish. He also released Mane at the end.

Great impact even his overall game wasn't as electric as usual leading to an 8/9

I'm amazed you're giving him such a hard time - right, and the opportunities that came from Robbo's side?
Say TAA wasn't good enough attacking - agree, but if Clyne had played like that defensively, you'd be happy ...
I'm just trying to figure out what TAA or Clyne has done ...
Hell no, I wouldn't have been happy if Clyne played like TAA at all last night.
I know he's a kid and we won yesterday, but Im calling it as I see it and the boy wasnt good at all. Gomez had to do a whole lot of covering for him.
To be completely honest I don't know what to expect from Clyne this season, I'm basing my trust in him on his previous performances.

It's incredible really - Clyne who struggles to add anything in the attacking 3rd on a regular day to replace TAA, who's getting low ratings for now doing enough in the attacking 3rd! He was solid defensively - I asked in the match thread what he did wrong defensively bar that one foul on Zaha on the 1v1 breakaway and no one responded ... Heck, Modo brings up a quote from Klopp about our fullbacks needing to do better ... but it's offensively as both TAA & Robbo could have done more. Let's be patient though, once Hendo starts a few games, there will be less focus on TAA! 😉

I thought he looked suspect defensively and let his man come inside on more than one occasion and also failed to prevent a couple of by line cutbacks.

It's no secret he's in there for his attacking ability and he played more like Clyne in that regard, going backwards or sideways more often than not. When he did cross it was rubbish for the main part.

I like TAA but he needs to improve quick smart.

I am surprised everyone voted Mane above Salah.
I'm a huge Mane fan but in terms of impact Salah was at the centre of every big decision in the game.

He's not going to score goals every game.

He won the penalty just before half time with a turn not many are capable of.

Got their man sent off.

Had a header well saved and if Robertson played the ball earlier would have had a simple finish. He also released Mane at the end.

Great impact even his overall game wasn't as electric as usual leading to an 8/9
And he missed 4 or 5 chances to score. That is inevitably going to affect his rating.

I know he's a kid and we won yesterday, but Im calling it as I see it and the boy wasnt good at all. Gomez had to do a whole lot of covering for him.
To be completely honest I don't know what to expect from Clyne this season, I'm basing my trust in him on his previous performances.

+1 which probably doesn't help your cause

I thought he looked suspect defensively and let his man come inside on more than one occasion and also failed to prevent a couple of by line cutbacks.

It's no secret he's in there for his attacking ability and he played more like Clyne in that regard, going backwards or sideways more often than not. When he did cross it was rubbish for the main part.

I like TAA but he needs to improve quick smart.

As suspect as Robbo ... there were a few good chances created by Palace's young RB ...

You obviously forgot how he played before his 'injury' where he wasn't great defensively or attacking (to be expected though) ... I think I'm going to stop bothering as if you think Robbo was great defensively on the other side, then it seems you've just found your latest pet peeve until Henderson starts playing more games.

Keeping Zaha quiet? What game did you watch? Meyer was about an inch from scoring from a Zaha cross in the dying minutes of the game.
Trent didn't stop Zaha it was mainly Gomez.

Well. It is the Premier League. There will be crosses from teams. Quite often. That is why Television companies pay zillions of pounds to broadcast these games.

And Zaha was stopped. But nothing to do with TAA. If we only had SuperClyne then Gomez didn't have to do all this defending? Haha.

For me 6 is average as in the level I expect every week.

He was below that for me without being a disaster so 5 was fair.

Salah got a 7 for example. He wasn't at his best but he was involved in all key moments.

Assisted both goals, had a man sent off and had a great header tipped over.

Haha. Keep it coming. What next? A suggestion that we buy Luke Shaw so we don't have to bother With either TAA or Robbo….?

I get it. If we only had SuperClyne fit and running we would at least have 6 Points by now. Maybe even 8!!

I dont see why its such a big deal. He was probably our worst player on the night (or maybe Firmino who took an AGE to get into the game) and the WORST score he has been given is a 5, which is BANG average right?

I gave him a 6 simply because he had to deal with Van Aanohlt and Zaha and in the main part did ok. A couple of times Zaha broke clear, but he will skin better full backs than Trent this season.

My low mark is simply because he was dreadful with the ball at his feet.

Are we REALLY still in a world where we mark a player an 8 or 9 on pure defensive performance? Even if we were he STILL did get done a few times, so what does that do? Knock it down to a 7? Ok so what about the fact he barely made a pass outside of his own half all night? The fact he missplaced cross after cross all night?

You cant pick and choose when it matters to score him for attack. Klopp plays with attacking fullbacks, its as much his job as keeping Zaha in check. And if he gets two assists and we concede three would you score him a 9? No you wouldnt. So stop nitpicking peoples scores.

He was probably a 7 defensively, arguably an 8, but he was at best a 4 more likely a 3 for the work he did further forward, so are the people scoring him a 5 way off base? No.

10 perfect
9 amazing
8 brilliant
7 quality
6 above average
5 average
4 worse than average
3 poor
2 dreadful
1 karius

I think less than 5 would be disingenuous but over 6 is a massive reach for me.

He wasnt terrible. He was average.

Zaha is a very very good player, if argue he wouldn't look out of place playong for most of the top 6 teams.

To judge TAA up against him as a 5 out of 10 is overly harsh imo.

I get criticism over his attacking play, as his crosses were way too inconsistent & ineffective (despite that brilliant cross that shouod have been converted), but not defensively at all.

Well. It is the Premier League. There will be crosses from teams. Quite often. That is why Television companies pay zillions of pounds to broadcast these games.

And Zaha was stopped. But nothing to do with TAA. If we only had SuperClyne then Gomez didn't have to do all this defending? Haha.
If your point is that a good defender needs as much help as a poor defender then you're the deluded one.
Also, it's not that Zaha only crossed the ball, he went passed Trent and got into the box.

If your point is that a good defender needs as much help as a poor defender then you're the deluded one.
Also, it's not that Zaha only crossed the ball, he went passed Trent and got into the box.

Can't be true. These things are forbidden in football. We both know that. Fake news obviously.

I dont see why its such a big deal. He was probably our worst player on the night (or maybe Firmino who took an AGE to get into the game) and the WORST score he has been given is a 5, which is BANG average right?

I gave him a 6 simply because he had to deal with Van Aanohlt and Zaha and in the main part did ok. A couple of times Zaha broke clear, but he will skin better full backs than Trent this season.

My low mark is simply because he was dreadful with the ball at his feet.

Are we REALLY still in a world where we mark a player an 8 or 9 on pure defensive performance? Even if we were he STILL did get done a few times, so what does that do? Knock it down to a 7? Ok so what about the fact he barely made a pass outside of his own half all night? The fact he missplaced cross after cross all night?

You cant pick and choose when it matters to score him for attack. Klopp plays with attacking fullbacks, its as much his job as keeping Zaha in check. And if he gets two assists and we concede three would you score him a 9? No you wouldnt. So stop nitpicking peoples scores.

He was probably a 7 defensively, arguably an 8, but he was at best a 4 more likely a 3 for the work he did further forward, so are the people scoring him a 5 way off base? No.

10 perfect
9 amazing
8 brilliant
7 quality
6 above average
5 average
4 worse than average
3 poor
2 dreadful
1 karius

I think less than 5 would be disingenuous but over 6 is a massive reach for me.

He wasnt terrible. He was average.

Agree with all of this for the most part.

I did suggest an explanation for 1-10 after game 1 and got shot down.

Think it would cut out a lot of outrage

My first RAAAAAAATINGS! of the season! How exciting!

Cliche time: the three points is all that counts, winning ugly, game that title contenders have to win, grinding out results, tough place to come to, blah fucking blah.

Palace were decent, even though Benteke doesn't look like he will ever score again. They have some very good players, and plenty of speed, discipline and skill in the team. But we still dominated possession, and we still deserved to win. Fine, it wasn't that pretty, or hugely convincing, and we had a few players slightly off-colour, but I refer you to the list of cliches above.

Alisson (8). Made a couple of decent saves, and one weak punch aside, looked cool as a cucumber. Some great distribution too, and he is a very obvious upgrade on anything we've had in goal for a decade. Lovely big beardy Grock.

Robbo (7) Perpetual Scottish motion, he simply never stopped running and was always looking to support Mane in attack. Solid for the most part defensively too, and his aggression meant that Palace's own flying fullbacks couldn't attack at will.

Virgil (9) A collossus. He cajoled, shouted, and directed the defence, and took total control. Lost nothing in the air and used the ball unfussily and intelligently. What a player.

Gomez (8) He looked the part last night, and showed some blistering pace when dealing with one dangerous attack, which he snuffed out with a tackle.

TAA (6) Wobbly first half, and his passing and crossing was a bit skew-whiff, although he still created chances and he never once hid, in fact he was the most involved of any player, even if he was not at his best. Had lots to do defensively too, with two rapid wide players to deal with, and there were times he needed more help than he was given.

Wijnaldum (7) I was bit torn on this rating, as he was invisible at times in the second half, after an impressive and calm start to the game. He is still too tentative with his passing at times, and he looks like a cat on a hot tin roof whenever he sees the goal, but he dealt well with the impressive Milojojolelivicic, who is a quality player and doesn't lose possession often.

Milner (7) Not quite as awesome as the West Ham game, although the energy and commitment were obviously still there, before he flagged a bit. Typically nerveless penalty too, but I bet he doesn't start the next game.

Keita (7) Another rating I was umming and ahhing over. At times he looked simply sensational, and that drag-back and pass was of the very highest quality. His movement and skills are also on another level, as he carries the ball so quickly up the pitch, taking players out of the game. But there seems so much more to come, especially with his final pass or indeed shooting.

Salah (7) Not at his very best, and squandered several chances that you would usually expect him to finish (well, based on last season's incredible heroics anyway). Still he won the penalty, got a player sent off and also assisted for the second with a beautiful pass, so not a bad evening's work really, even when that infamous touch is missing.

Mane (8) Top quality and the pick of our forwards, he showed searing pace and was always looking to hurt Palace with clever runs and some lovely passing. Deserved his goal and has started the season like the proverbial train.

Firmino (6) Made some useful contributions and worked hard, but was often so deep that he was left too far from goal when we attacked, and hasn't the pace to catch up and actually threaten the goal. Never looked like scoring.

Alisson 8
As someone commented above, 'Praise the Lord'.

Trent 6.5
Virgil 9
Fucking A
Gomez 8
Robbo 7.5

Milner 7
Gini 7
Keita 7.5
Above the other two just for that turn and pass

Mane 8
Salah 8
Up because of his effective chasing back
Bobby 6.5

Hendo 7.5
I felt more relaxed once he was on.

I don't really do rating but want to mention a few players.

First of all, Alisson! Finally we get a keeper who looks to be able to catch the ball, kick the ball and try his best to stop it going into the net with minimal fuss. We weren't asking for too much. It started off as Anyone But Karius (ABK) but looks like we got a good one. As I said in the match thread, I love the bearded big yellow wall on the goal.

Big Virg is up next. Has he broken sweat in either of our first two game? He won the header to springboard our second goal. He won the header and led the charge behind Salah and Mane. Powerhouse.

Speaking of powerhouses. How about Mane, the magnificent powerhouse. He is unstoppable at times. He is going to score a lot of goals this season.

Salah deserves some love. He won the pen, got their new speedy right back sent off and assisted Mane for 2-0. One goal, two assists so far this season. Business as usual without getting into top gear.

Two game, two wins, two clean sheets.

It was a good win in a game that has been a potential banana skin, against a club who have an occasional habit of giving us a tough game.

We won, had loads possession, could have scored more and did a thoroughly professional, champions-like performance.

So yeah, let's pick the bones out of a divisive game from both fullbacks, who are generally remarkably consistent, given their respective ages and relative inexperience.

It was a good win in a game that has been a potential banana skin, against a club who have an occasional habit of giving us a tough game.

We won, had loads possession, could have scored more and did a thoroughly professional, champions-like performance.

So yeah, let's pick the bones out of a divisive game from both fullbacks, who are generally remarkably consistent, given their respective ages and relative inexperience.
I'm not the one making a deal out of it. Did I say anything about TAA or Robbo during the game? No.
I posted my ratings and you and others have reacted to it and now you're telling me that I'm nitpicking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom