• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Crime and Punishment - should the penalty spot be moved back ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has the same knowledge. Zero.

He's just not stupid enough to think he knows the game because he's watched it.

He's open to asking simple, pertinent questions as to how some of the games problems could be easily solved

If he (along with the rest of us) has zero knowledge about the game then how would he know what questions to ask?

Question everything.

Take nothing at face value. That's how you learn about anything, well except religion.

Firstly @Mamma Mia and @Rosco - I missed this, and having read it, Mamma, you're right.

Well when less than 1/2 chances from inside five yards result in a goal so long as the penalty odds is similar then yes it is fair

Doesn't this need to be expanded upon further though?

I mean, that chances within 5 yards stat could, and probably does, include loads of corners where the ball is lofted into the box and the attacking team gets a head on it, no?

There would need to be some further analysis to look at how many one-on-ones are scored from 5 yards, 10 yards etc, because those would be the situations in which it would be advantageous to the defender to risk the penalty (although I suppose, under those circumstances, they would probably still get a red card).

Nevertheless, the numbers do not tell the whole story here - not all chances from 5 yards are created equal

I have a maths degree from Cambridge (honestly) but trying to imagine this shape is beyond me.

You should have done an applied maths degree. The Hague at least knows what a slice of a pie chart looks like from excel and/or pizza. His next step is to place the giant slice on the goal line, so it forms a curved penalty area. But the flaw he'd see is that there is no penalty area close to the goal line. Therefore he has to drag the giant slice back so that it starts from being the goal line. Then he ends up with a 5/7-a-side penalty area, which is already patented. So he has nothing to gain and therefore posted it on here.

Question everything.

Take nothing at face value. That's how you learn about anything, well except religion.

Haha it's not that easy. You first need to have an intuitive understanding of the phenomenon, putting yourself in the place of the ball and seeing what the significant factors ought to be and how they ought to interact. Then you need to translate that interaction into mathatics. Only then can you look at some analysis or correlation and be able to question it.

Blindly questioning the validity of things leads nowhere. You need to work out the right questions whose answers will be of some use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom