• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

City back in for £32m Terry as Torres deal rejected

Status
Not open for further replies.

keniget

6CM Addict
Administrator
Chelsea are confident that their captain John Terry will be leading the team to the United States on Thursday for a pre-season tour despite a new bid of £32m for him from Manchester City that is expected in the next couple of days.

City have been encouraged by the fact that Terry has not publicly committed himself to Chelsea since their interest was made known last week. He is understood to want confirmation of his club's continuing ambition from owner Roman Abramovich following the failure to sign any player with a higher profile than the Russian Yuri Zhirkov. But Chelsea's chairman Bruce Buck and new manager Carlo Ancelotti have promised supporters that in Buck's words, any transfer "is not going to happen". City should, however, put one over Chelsea this week by finally signing Carlos Tevez.

Meanwhile, Liverpool have demonstrated their determination to hold on to leading players by revealing that they turned down an offer believed to have been over £50m for Fernando Torres. "It was a proper offer, a big one, but we said no and he also wanted to stay," said Liverpool's manager Rafa Benitez. Benitez also insists that midfielders Xabi Alonso and Javier Mascherano will not be allowed to leave, despite interest from Spain. "You can't guarantee anything," he said. "But we have wanted to keep the spine of the team and improve the squad, not lose players."

Like why would they even think that a player who originally took a paycut when he joined Liverpool would seriously consider joining them. They are an embarrassment.

The Sunday People (I know) are reporting that we've turned down three offers (from 3 different clubs) for Torres.

They seem to think its Chelsea, City and Utd.
I can see some logic in it being Chelsea, the bid was apperantly 60 mill.
They can fuck off!

Everyone can fuck right off when it comes to bidding for Fernando. We should be countering with bids for their best players (if only we could)

Erm, the article, if thus it can be called, says we turned down bids from Real (65M), Chelsea and City.

[quote author=The People]
RAFA BENITEZ SNUBS £65M REAL MADRID BID FOR FERNANDO TORRES
Rafa Benitez put a stop to Real Madrid's incredible spending spree - by rejecting a massive £65million bid for Anfield idol Fernando Torres. Madrid swooped for Torres AFTER sealing deals for £80m Cristiano Ronaldo and £56m Kaka. It was an astonishing move from the Spaniards, given that Torres made his name at their bitter rivals Atletico Madrid and is as important to Liverpool as skipper Steven Gerrard. But Bernabeu president Florentino Perez reckoned the cash-strapped Merseysiders would be vulnerable to a big-money raid and agreed the offer for Spain's No.1 striker. And he was prepared to win a bidding war with Chelsea and Manchester City, who also sniffed around Torres.

Liverpool boss Benitez, who is trying to keep Xabi Alonso and Javier Mascherano from Spanish clutches, said last night there was never a chance of accepting Madrid's millions. "We always knew when a bid came we'd say no because the main thing was the player wanted to stay. People know the player wanted to stay here but it did not stop them trying. Football has changed and there is big, big money around - but we still have the same idea to keep the spine of the team and work hard for next season. We wanted to send a message that we are strong and want to improve. We don't want to lose any of our big players."

Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti is also believed to have put Torres at the top of his wish-list. But even though Roman Abramovich would have bankrolled the deal, Torres would not have moved to another Premier League club.

That also scuppered City's plans after they had lined up a third move for Torres following initial enquiries a year ago and further interest in January
[/quote]

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=34671.msg904482#msg904482 date=1247393619]
Does anyone else get the feeling that Chelsea wouldn't mind selling Terry ?
[/quote]

There's been issues for a while with Terry hasn't there, since the falling out with Mourinho? Depends if Ancelotti wants him there I suppose.

[quote author=Dee link=topic=34671.msg904475#msg904475 date=1247393140]
[quote author=The People]
RAFA BENITEZ SNUBS £65M REAL MADRID BID FOR FERNANDO TORRES
Rafa Benitez put a stop to Real Madrid's incredible spending spree - by rejecting a massive £65million bid for Anfield idol Fernando Torres. Madrid swooped for Torres AFTER sealing deals for £80m Cristiano Ronaldo and £56m Kaka. It was an astonishing move from the Spaniards, given that Torres made his name at their bitter rivals Atletico Madrid and is as important to Liverpool as skipper Steven Gerrard. But Bernabeu president Florentino Perez reckoned the cash-strapped Merseysiders would be vulnerable to a big-money raid and agreed the offer for Spain's No.1 striker. And he was prepared to win a bidding war with Chelsea and Manchester City, who also sniffed around Torres.

Liverpool boss Benitez, who is trying to keep Xabi Alonso and Javier Mascherano from Spanish clutches, said last night there was never a chance of accepting Madrid's millions. "We always knew when a bid came we'd say no because the main thing was the player wanted to stay. People know the player wanted to stay here but it did not stop them trying. Football has changed and there is big, big money around - but we still have the same idea to keep the spine of the team and work hard for next season. We wanted to send a message that we are strong and want to improve. We don't want to lose any of our big players."

Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti is also believed to have put Torres at the top of his wish-list. But even though Roman Abramovich would have bankrolled the deal, Torres would not have moved to another Premier League club.

That also scuppered City's plans after they had lined up a third move for Torres following initial enquiries a year ago and further interest in January
[/quote]
[/quote]

Is this just another way of Rafa saying that if Xabi or Masher were to go then it will have been because they wanted to?

[quote author=mark1975 link=topic=34671.msg904484#msg904484 date=1247393828]
[quote author=Rosco link=topic=34671.msg904482#msg904482 date=1247393619]
Does anyone else get the feeling that Chelsea wouldn't mind selling Terry ?
[/quote]

There's been issues for a while with Terry hasn't there, since the falling out with Mourinho? Depends if Ancelotti wants him there I suppose.
[/quote]

Yeah reading all the stuff that's been written in the past few weeks gives the impression he's not universally liked within the either the dressing room or the higher echelons of the club. His agent has been making noises about the club not matching Terry's ambitions (i.e. not giving him another pay rise).

Brian Reade hit the nail on the head yesterday when he showed in the past couple of years Chelsea have a better record without Terry in the side than they do with him in the side abd that given his age, his injuries and his dip in form it would be a great move to sell him now rather than give him another hefty pay rise.

A number of papers are running this today.

United, Real, Citeh & Chelsea.

Rafa knocked them back after the owners left it up to him - good lad. Both Rafa & Torres are true Reds.

Chelsea and City I can understand, but why would Real and Utd even bother bidding?

Torres would never ever go to Real and we'd never sell to Utd.

[quote author=Frogfish link=topic=34675.msg904503#msg904503 date=1247396686]

Rafa knocked them back after the owners left it up to him - good lad. Both Rafa & Torres are true Reds.
[/quote]

Is this the same united whose manager went to court to stop us signing one of their players?

[quote author=Jack D Rips link=topic=34675.msg904508#msg904508 date=1247396853]
[quote author=Frogfish link=topic=34675.msg904503#msg904503 date=1247396686]

[/quote]

Is this the same united whose manager went to court to stop us signing one of their players?
[/quote]

Erm ... we went to court to try to sign him in one of the most embarrassing episodes of Rafa Benitez's time at Liverpool.

[quote author=keniget link=topic=34671.msg904506#msg904506 date=124javascript:void(0);7396762]
Chelsea and City I can understand, but why would Real and Utd even bother bidding?

[/quote]

I thought that. The slight worrying thing is, if United have shown genuine interest, the money is obviously there for them to spend, which means a might only be a matter of time before they splash the cash. I just hope they don't go for anyone like Eto'o or Villa.

[quote author=mark1975 link=topic=34671.msg904515#msg904515 date=1247397896]
[quote author=keniget link=topic=34671.msg904506#msg904506 date=124javascript:void(0);7396762]

[/quote]

I thought that. The slight worrying thing is, if United have shown genuine interest, the money is obviously there for them to spend, which means a might only be a matter of time before they splash the cash. I just hope they don't go for anyone like Eto'o or Villa.
[/quote]

However Eto'o, Villa and Ribery are far and away the most likely.

This is getting stupid, fuck off you miserable clubs.

If Terry leaves for City he is a complete bellend, I love the club bla bla...oooh I can have more money elsewhere sure why not move on.

It will be a huge nail in the coffin of Chelsea also, becoming a rich club whose own home grown players are leaving and will end up a club all about older players collecting a huge paycheck.(think Ballack, Sheva and Makelele)

[quote author=Frogfish link=topic=34671.msg904503#msg904503 date=1247396686]

[/quote]

Good for the owners too. I've not been H and G's biggest fan, but this bodes well for their willingness (a) to let the football folk run the club and (b) not to be too short-termist because of their debts.

It says a lot about our owners TBH. They may only be after a payday, but at least they're savvy enough to realise we need to keep our best players to keep us viable.

There's some people who'd have you believe they'd cash in on anyone given the chance. Whether they're not doing so for the right reasons or not is irrelevant, the fact they havent done is the point.

[/quote]

[/quote]

what else can you expect? they have a big annual transfer budget, plus £80m - in one lump sum - from ronaldo, of course they've got a lot of money to spend. they're rolling in it.

I think Chelsea are the ones bidding for Torres, Abramocunt is in England and they're now talking about £60m for Pato or Ibrahimovic so they've probably asked about Torres.

[quote author=peterhague link=topic=34671.msg904528#msg904528 date=1247399548]

[/quote]

[/quote]

what else can you expect? they have a big annual transfer budget, plus £80m - in one lump sum - from ronaldo, of course they've got a lot of money to spend. they're rolling in it.
[/quote]

There was speculation that they would not be spending the money received from the Ronaldo sale due to heavy losses. They've already spent near £20m on Valencia plus whatever they've paid Owen.

I'm not deluded, but there was uncertainty over how much they would spend, if they've bid for Torres then obviously the money is there, that's all I was saying.

[quote author=Asim link=topic=34671.msg904521#msg904521 date=1247398577]
This is getting stupid, fuck off you miserable clubs.

If Terry leaves for City he is a complete bellend, I love the club bla bla...oooh I can have more money elsewhere sure why not move on.

It will be a huge nail in the coffin of Chelsea also, becoming a rich club whose own home grown players are leaving and will end up a club all about older players collecting a huge paycheck.(think Ballack, Sheva and Makelele)
[/quote]

Talk is 250K a week. That's insane. Yet if there was a large philanthropical streak in a player then they could pick up whatever salary they are on now and still set up a charity / or donate 500K a month to whatever cause pulls at their heart most.

Not many would do this I know but the opportunity is there. On the other hand that 35 metre luxury yacht looks tempting.

From Soccernet:

Terry wants Man City talks

July 12, 2009

Chelsea captain John Terry has told Roman Abramovich that he wants to hold talks with Manchester City about a possible £40m move, according to reports in the UK press.

John Terry: Man City transfer target

Terry held showdown talks with Blues owner Abramovich on Saturday night and although the centre-back stopped short of handing in an official transfer request the England international made it clear he wanted to speak to City officials.

The Sunday Times claim Chelsea were willing to make Terry the club's highest paid player, ahead of Frank Lampard, but they would not match City's offer of £250,000 a week, plus a £5m signing-on fee.

Terry is thought to want to hear for himself what the Citizens have to offer but Chelsea insiders believe the 28-year-old is just using the transfer speculation to negotiate a better contract at Stamford Bridge.

If the England captain does head to Eastlands, the London club could replace him with Newcastle United centre-back Steven Taylor and will pay up to £10m for the 23-year-old.

Meanwhile, should City manager Mark Hughes miss out on Terry he will turn his attention to Porto defender Bruno Alves. The £20m-rated Portugal international is also wanted by Barcelona.

[quote author=Frogfish link=topic=34671.msg904518#msg904518 date=1247398162]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I can't imagine Villa will come to England.

[quote author=keniget link=topic=34671.msg904548#msg904548 date=1247405362]
[quote author=Frogfish link=topic=34671.msg904518#msg904518 date=1247398162]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I can't imagine Villa will come to England.
[/quote]

True. I think Ribery is far and away the most likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom