• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Best Squad of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great shout by Zep.

Although Spain have loads of great midfielders/forwards to pick from, i still look at their back 4 and think "meh".

[quote author=LarryHagman link=topic=47462.msg1424052#msg1424052 date=1320881836]
What if Spain don't win?

[/quote]

Against England ?

The Shitrag will make a commemorative poster, deffo !

We may even get another Bank Holiday.

[quote author=Kenny4PM link=topic=47462.msg1424122#msg1424122 date=1320912352]
Great shout by Zep.

Although Spain have loads of great midfielders/forwards to pick from, i still look at their back 4 and think "meh".
[/quote]

I don't remember them conceding that many goals in the last World Cup but I do agree it's doesn't have the wow factor that the rest of the team does.

On a side note, it's interesting that they didn't score that many goals either.

[quote author=ILD link=topic=47462.msg1424125#msg1424125 date=1320913032]
Great shout by Zep.

[/quote]

I don't remember them conceding that many goals in the last World Cup but I do agree it's doesn't have the wow factor that the rest of the team does.

[/quote]

I probably underrate their defenders to be fair mate. In the last 2 major international comps, i thought their defenders would cost them the match come the the big games.

I quite like the look of this German side, i think they could cause them some problems.

[quote author=Kenny4PM link=topic=47462.msg1424138#msg1424138 date=1320914426]
[quote author=ILD link=topic=47462.msg1424125#msg1424125 date=1320913032]
Great shout by Zep.

[/quote]

[/quote]

I probably underrate their defenders to be fair mate. In the last 2 major international comps, i thought their defenders would cost them the match come the the big games.

I quite like the look of this German side, i think they could cause them some problems.
[/quote]

I've been crying out for us to sign some Germans with aaaaaaaaaaages mate. Any of them will do, Muller, Schwein, Kroos, Gotze, Ozil, Gomes, Marin etc.

I wonder how Germany would have faired with Muller in the side against Spain in the semi's of the last WC. He was suspended and had to sit out. He was red hot in the tournament.

[quote author=ILD link=topic=47462.msg1424145#msg1424145 date=1320914709]
I wonder how Germany would have faired with Muller in the side against Spain in the semi's of the last WC. He was suspended and had to sit out. He was red hot in the tournament.
[/quote]

Not much better given that they were under the cosh for most of the game.

Germany would have to change their approach and really have a go at Spain.

Have a go? Germany played exciting expansive football in that tournament Keni. They scored four goals against Argentina and England en route to that semi with Spain.

Unless you alluding to their tendency to play on the counter at times?

England 90.

1 Shilton, Peter L. class
2 Stevens, M. Gary class
3 Pearce, Stuart class
4 Webb, Neil J.
5 Walker, Desmond
6 Butcher, Terence
7 Robson, Bryan class
8 Waddle, Christopher
9 Beardsley, Peter class
10 Lineker, Gary W. class
11 Barnes, John class
12 Parker, Paul
13 Woods, Chris
14 Wright, Mark
15 Hoddle, Glen class
16 McMahon, Steve class
17 Platt, David A.
18 Hodge, Stephen
19 Gascoigne, Paul J. class
20 Steven, Trevor M.
21 Bull, Stephen G.
22 Seaman, David A. class

Good team that.

lest we forget....

Release Date: 23/08/2006

LAWRIE Sanchez has announced his squad for Northern Ireland's Euro qualifiers against Iceland and Spain.

Goalkeepers - Maik Taylor (Birmingham City), Roy Carroll (West Ham United), Michael Ingham (Wrexham).

Defenders - Tony Capaldi (Plymouth Argyle), Stephen Craigan (Motherwell), Chris Baird (Southampton), Aaron Hughes (Aston Villa), Michael Duff (Burnley), Gareth McAuley (Leicester City).

Midfielders - Grant McCann (Cheltenham Town), Steve Davis (Aston Villa), Stuart Elliott (Hull City), Ivan Sproule (Hibernian), Keith Gillespie (Sheffield Utd), Sammy Clingan (Nottingham Forest), Chris Brunt (Sheffield Wednesday).

Forwards - Warren Feeney (Luton Town), James Quinn (Northampton Town), David Healy (Leeds Utd), Kyle Lafferty (Burnley), Steve Jones (Burnley).

That lot was good enough to defeat the mighty spain

[quote author=ILD link=topic=47462.msg1424066#msg1424066 date=1320889948]
[quote author=Wizardry link=topic=47462.msg1423885#msg1423885 date=1320847826]
[quote author=ILD link=topic=47462.msg1423748#msg1423748 date=1320817890]
Back on topic, I can't see that squad being emulated. It's just plain silly good.
[/quote]

Not to disagree with you intentionally mate but, again, I think people are perhaps overstating it. Let's be honest, prior to the last World Cup people were looking at the front 6 for Argentina and wondering if any team in world football would have a hope of living with it.

I'm not saying they're not a sensational looking team but I'd have even money on Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Rivaldo etc holding their own. I think it can be easy to get caught up in the hyperbole; the combination of a CL winning team in Barca and a successful Spanish side has just got everyone, IMO, waxing lyrical till the momentum has built a life all of its own.
[/quote]

Overstating it? Look at the entire squad Wiz! Not the first 11 or the attacking 6, the whole squad. Perhaps Spain winning the last World Cup and European championship has made me a little biased but I can't stop drooling over that squad. It deserves all the superlatives you can throw at it as I doubt we'll see a squad packed with as much talent for quite some time. Don't get wrong there has been starting xi's that would rival Spain's of course but they could put out two teams that would realistically contest for international honours and that really shows how impressive the squad is at the moment.

Just going back to your post, Yeah I agree that front six the Argies had was excellent. They have an impressive squad too in fact and have had throughout the years. Likewise Brazil (2002), as both you and Oncy mentioned. I especially like the Kaka, Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho package. Insane.
[/quote]

The second part of your post is what I'm getting at, mate. I don't disagree that Spanish side / squad is exceptional. To win back to back international tournaments you'd expect it to be. My point is that comments like it will never be emulated or is the best ever is going overboard. I only had to go back less than a decade to see a team which would push it. I thought of France '98 but wasn't sure it had the midfield - still, on looking at the squad listed above it was excellent too.

Spain are outstanding but they're one of a number of outstanding international squads / teams over the years.

I will say that it's been a long time since I've seen a midfield like what Spain has; capable of defending desperately and even more impressive with the ball.

[quote author=Markeh link=topic=47462.msg1424320#msg1424320 date=1320954836]
lest we forget....

Release Date: 23/08/2006

LAWRIE Sanchez has announced his squad for Northern Ireland's Euro qualifiers against Iceland and Spain.

Goalkeepers - Maik Taylor (Birmingham City), Roy Carroll (West Ham United), Michael Ingham (Wrexham).

Defenders - Tony Capaldi (Plymouth Argyle), Stephen Craigan (Motherwell), Chris Baird (Southampton), Aaron Hughes (Aston Villa), Michael Duff (Burnley), Gareth McAuley (Leicester City).

Midfielders - Grant McCann (Cheltenham Town), Steve Davis (Aston Villa), Stuart Elliott (Hull City), Ivan Sproule (Hibernian), Keith Gillespie (Sheffield Utd), Sammy Clingan (Nottingham Forest), Chris Brunt (Sheffield Wednesday).

Forwards - Warren Feeney (Luton Town), James Quinn (Northampton Town), David Healy (Leeds Utd), Kyle Lafferty (Burnley), Steve Jones (Burnley).

That lot was good enough to defeat the mighty spain
[/quote]

Yeah, I was gobsmacked when they won Euro 2008..oh, hang on !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom